Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 19:40   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
An update. I had got a call from Ather on Thursday. They wanted to study my apartment parking lot and the location where I would park the scooter. This was for installing the charging station.
As a result of this study, Yesterday I got the email shown below
Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-capture.jpg

Quote:
I showed him the parking slot location and the meter location. With a laser scale, he took measurements and noted down that it'll need a total of around 40 metres of cabling.
Aong with this information, I guess the free installation is only till 18-20 metres. Above that, there is a charge of 65Rs per metre for wiring and 50rs per metre of conduit if applicable. Although I'll have to pay 3000 only, this is coming to around 6000Rs (including the free part of it). I checked with our apartment electrician. For around the same distance, He had charged 9000Rs for an E2O (including his labour charge and plug sockets).
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:45   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a result of this study, Yesterday I got the email shown below
Attachment 1773937

Aong with this information, I guess the free installation is only till 18-20 metres. Above that, there is a charge of 65Rs per metre for wiring and 50rs per metre of conduit if applicable. Although I'll have to pay 3000 only, this is coming to around 6000Rs (including the free part of it). I checked with our apartment electrician. For around the same distance, He had charged 9000Rs for an E2O (including his labour charge and plug sockets).
If you already have a charging point for E2O , why not tap into that electric point a parallel connection ?
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:47   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaWatt View Post
I ask the cost of replacing the battery, I was told, Rs 40k as on today but might be more 5 years down the line due to inflation and other factors. So, if we are getting battery replaced at 50000 kms, around a rupee per km should be added to the running cost.
On the contrary, don't we expect battery costs to go down as the technology evolves. Atleast that is what the trend has been in mobiles. Bigger batteries at same price as earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
If you already have a charging point for E2O , why not tap into that electric point a parallel connection ?
Damn...we should watch out against people like you...tapping into other's charging lines.
Just kidding. I think you missed the point that the E2O point was for someone else, so would connect to their meter. At best, maybe the conduit could be reused if feasible. That will avoid multiple conduits making the walls ugly.

To people who have booked the scooter: did you check if the pricing will change in light of the government's new intention of withdrawing subsidy for private EVs?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4418045

Last edited by Bh.P : 22nd June 2018 at 12:49.
Bh.P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:17   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
That's not exactly my E2O and my parking slot
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 20:06   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
To people who have booked the scooter: did you check if the pricing will change in light of the government's new intention of withdrawing subsidy for private EVs?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4418045

I thought it applies to cars and not bike !!

Anyways I hope the battery cost would go down in future or it will be around the same price but better capacity.
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:46   #201
BANNED

Battery cost will come down once 21700 form factor becomes mainstream, but when you take India into account it's a different story, since every lithium battery in India are all imported and price is effected by the dollar/rupee value and also the government taxes, currently it's on the max gst slab of 28%.

Tesla for example is trying to achieve a $100/kw by this year(or it already has). Audi is at $114/kw.

When you have a battery plant like the gigafactory, the shipping via surface is cheaper within the county. On the other hand all EV makers in India will have to get it air shipped or sea shipped and since Lithium batteries are classified as Dangerous goods they need extra protection in terms of packaging and higher shipping cost, hgher insurance, middle man agents to clear Dangerous goods.

(2 years back when I wanted to Import 18650 batteries for my own use, none of the big shipping companies DHL,fedex,UPS had agents to clear this in India and they flat out refused)

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd June 2018 at 21:47.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 19:12   #202
BHPian

I was there yesterday and I echo almost all of your sentiments!I just hope the sales experience continues into the actual ride! Talking to the team at the experience center feels like you are talking to the founders.Extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the scooter and patiently answering every query,the team shows a passion and maturity beyond their age. Of course the test ride and the ambience gets you hooked instantly.Much has been said about that already.However the real test thrown at her(pun intended),begins only in August 2018 as the first few wheels roll out of their comfort zones.All the best to you Ather.

Interesting note: As the traffic signal turned green during my test ride I find myself suddenly moving backwards . My 4 year old fiddling with the touch screen or the button combinations is the culprit, am sure.Is that even possible ? Rather ,was a child-in-the-middle attack a test scenario for you Ather ? Anyway was fun for me - may not be always.

Quote:
After having booked the 450 on 5th, I visited the Ather experience centre today in Indiranagar to take a test ride. I had written in my earlier post that I'm in no hurry. But now after today's experience, I can't wait to have the vehicle in my hand. the detailed experience follows...

To summarise,
What I liked:
  • Beautiful minimalist looks
  • Well designed and well built scooter
  • Fast and Steathy
  • Reverse gear
  • Big tyres and dual disc brakes
  • Good range for city use
  • Ather grid to kill the out-of-charge anxiety

What is missed/unkown:
  • Flipkey
  • Centre stand
  • Side foot step
  • Real world maintenance cost unknown
  • Reliability unknown

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th June 2018 at 20:12. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please stick to the rules. Thanks!
mail2sekh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:47   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
Interesting note: As the traffic signal turned green during my test ride I find myself suddenly moving backwards . My 4 year old fiddling with the touch screen or the button combinations is the culprit, am sure.Is that even possible ? Rather ,was a child-in-the-middle attack a test scenario for you Ather ? Anyway was fun for me - may not be always.
This definitely is a possibility. But, the vehicle gives out audible beeps when the reverse gear is engaged. So you should be careful before turning the accelerator.
Worst case, assuming someone hits their Ather like this to the vehicle behind, since it is limited to 3kmph the damage might not be big.

So, just like how you don't let your kid fiddle with the gear lever in a car, you shouldn't let the kid fiddle with this. Having a kid of that age, I know it is not easy though.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 11:26   #204
BHPian

Going reverse in the signal is scary !
Audible beeps may not be really audible if in heavy noisy traffic and also with helmet on. Though i have not seen the bike yet to really assume the volume of the beeps.
Probably Ather can come up with a Child Lock (like in washing machines ) using combination of switches to activate and deactivate feature ! I am sure it wont be a big deal .

I remembered Old Yezdi Roadking days, my friend had got the kickstarter mechanism tweaked to make the vehicle move in reverse. There was a technique involved to change from regular forward movement to backward by using a particular angle and force to kickstart engine . I had taken the bike for a ride and it got switched Off in the traffic. I started the bike and it would not move forward! it was scary and embarrassing situation as people around me was clueless why the bike is going back ! People did not believe me when I said this bike can go reverse too. I had to push the vehicle back home!
avanishphatak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 07:39   #205
BHPian

I got to drive the Ather 450 yesterday. The 450 gets its name from 4KW motor and 50A battery. Extremely good experience with the Ather reps. I spent about 2 hours discussing with them including the test ride.
* First of all, the torque is awesome. Nothing like anything I've seen in such a bike so far.
* The structural build quality is top notch.
* Ride quality is stiff, but then shocks perform well when on load, and with a pillion, it felt better.
* Handling is good and the bike stays planted. tried it on bumpy roads, and managed to do very good.
* The reverse creep feature will help in reducing in backpain with constant pulling out the bike from crowded parking lot.
* Brakes are very sharp. LHS is combo-braking, and RHS is front brakes.
* One thing I got to know during discussion with Ather reps, is that monthly subscription includes everything. i.e service costs, insurance, maintenance, charging (they also pay credits to your account for the energy you use to charge your bike at your own home) I think this is super cool, like it pays for the fuel. That was something that didn't come across the marketing material well.
* They have gabriel shocks and brembo disc brakes. So sourcing them is not so difficult. i.e ASS would be easier. MRF tires were good enough. 12inch wheels.
* Like someone said before, reachability of turn indicator switch is a tad bit tough for people with slightly small fingers
* I still have concerns of the headlight brightness. They asked me to come someday late evening to TD and checkout myself
* The screen could've been adaptive brightness controlled than manual
* My wife observed that onboard navigation does not re-route if you choose a different route. Could be an OTA update later. or i'm not sure if google restricts re-route feature to only google maps app and not API based interfaces
* She loved the test drive, and said she needed time to get used to no-engine-sound
* For a first gen vehicle, its phenomenally refined. I can't think of much improvements they can make other than the minor bits.
* They say not to worry about the battery life for 3-5 yrs and we will take care of it.

Quite impressed with the bike. Cant wait to get it delivered. Apparently my pre-booking is from the first lot, so Aug-Oct is the delivery schedule. Can't wait

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2018 at 08:45. Reason: Typo.
avanishphatak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:00   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
I got to drive the Ather 450 yesterday.

Quite impressed with the bike. Cant wait to get it delivered. Apparently my pre-booking is from the first lot, so Aug-Oct is the delivery schedule. Can't wait
Hey, did you come by on Friday evening? If so, I think we spoke. Glad you liked the 450! I'm sorry I didn't get your name that day.
I remember you mentioning these 2 points and that you have a VW , is that right? That's how I could remember you.
Quote:
* One thing I got to know during discussion with Ather reps, is that monthly subscription includes everything. i.e service costs, insurance, maintenance, charging (they also pay credits to your account for the energy you use to charge your bike at your own home) I think this is super cool, like it pays for the fuel. That was something that didn't come across the marketing material well.
* They have gabriel shocks and brembo disc brakes. So sourcing them is not so difficult. i.e ASS would be easier. MRF tires were good enough. 12inch wheels.
Again, very sorry I didn't get your name.
Old 6th July 2018, 18:08   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Hey, did you come by on Friday evening? If so, I think we spoke.
Hey Rohan, that was my cousin Arvind who met you. These are the inputs from him You can reach him on 9886590591

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2018 at 20:20. Reason: compacted quoted post
avanishphatak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 18:57   #208
BHPian

regarding the indicator reach issue, the Bike can as well integrate " Auto indicator on and Off "
Yes since the bike works with the navigation maps, if the destination is set then based on the gps location and route the indicators can switch on automatically !

So this can be an Option where the user can set on or off. Also on the fly manual override if needed.

Ather team can think of this for future Updates.
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:22   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Yes since the bike works with the navigation maps, if the destination is set then based on the gps location and route the indicators can switch on automatically !
Crazy yet nice idea! That is although lazy but surely a useful feature in India and our style of driving without indicators. Would like to see it in action though.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:18   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

When I booked the 450, I got an email with my order number. In that email there was this paragraph about account creation invite. I've not got anything in this regard. Has anybody else here who had booked the 450 got any account creation invite?
Quote:
Account invitation

You’ll soon receive an invite to create your account. That’s where you can find out all about your order and next steps. You also get to interact with the rest of the pre-order folks. Do keep an eye out for it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks