Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 16:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Navi: A scooter disguised as a bike

To give a body of a Honda grom, and an engine of a scooter is pure blunder.
What i don't understand is why would Honda spend money on research and development of a lovechild of a Honda Dio and the Honda Grom, but not manufacture a Honda Grom and make it available here to the masses.

I am not aware of the cost of manufacturing a 125cc engine in India, but i am sure the engine and its specs would be relatively similar to the other Honda 125cc engines. The homologation costs are something that I am not aware of too. The Grom is a really cool motorcycle to ride and it has a great following globally.
Old 27th February 2016, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Video about Navi from Powerdrift

ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 20:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
To give a body of a Honda grom, and an engine of a scooter is pure blunder.
First Reason: For The JOY and CONVENIENCE of riding an automatic transmission in bumper to bumper / congested cities (Bye Bye Gears - Motorcycle and also the GROM)

Second reason: To utilize the proven Engine and Chassis of the Activa (which means an already proven underpinnings)

Its a MASTERSTROKE according to me. On top of that the price tag of 10K lesser than the Activa.. Heck, I should pick up one for that commute and quick visit to the grocery/neighborhood store.

Its (Navi) is NOT BODY of the Grom, the Navi is more of an (automatic) scooter in the format of a mini motorcycle.

Last edited by payeng : 28th February 2016 at 20:38.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 21:38   #34
BHPian

I think it's a fun alternative to scooters while costing lesser than all! It could definitely be my runaround the locality vehicle. Looks different. Though misses out on the concept of scooters itself (Large underseat storage, nice large seat etc).

Then again, if you want a Vespa, you want a Vespa..
Old 28th February 2016, 22:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

does this have a sari guard/side foot rest for ladies?
Old 29th February 2016, 10:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
First Reason: Its (Navi) is NOT BODY of the Grom, the Navi is more of an (automatic) scooter in the format of a mini motorcycle.
I get your point. Yes, it is more convenient to ride an automatic, it is easier in bumper to bumper traffic and it will probably do everything better than a scooter costing 10k more does.

But I dont understand why Honda wont launch the Grom in India along with the Navi. I dont know if anybody else has ridden a Grom before, but I have been very lucky to ride one. And that thing is so much fun! I dont mind the gears at all! Plus disc brakes front and back mean better braking than a scooty for sure. The engine would also be peppier than the one they are using on the Navi too. Overall, IMO a better experience overall than a scooty.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
I get your point...

But I dont understand why Honda wont launch the Grom in India along with the Navi.

The Percentage Growth of Scooters with Automatic Transmission over Geared Motorcycles would be a Strong Statistical argument to launch the NAVI instead of an offering like GROM.

Old 16th March 2016, 06:14   #38

I would buy this to replace my ageing Activa. I can even think of using it for my 40km commute once or twice a week, specially on the car-free Thursdays in Hyderabad.
Old 19th March 2016, 03:21   #39
BANNED

HMSI has begun dispatching the Honda Navi from its manufacturing plant at Tapukara, Rajasthan to dealers.

The model has received over 1,000 bookings over a period of one month. The vehicle will be available for sale starting this month.

Quote:
The Honda Navi is based on a completely new chassis that can spawn different future models.

Priced at INR 39,500 (ex-showroom, Delhi) the Honda Navi can be ordered in one of five colours including Patriot Red, Hopper Green, Shasta White, Sparky Orange and Black. The Navi is developed from the ground up by Honda R&D India from conceptualisation to commercial production. It is marketed as a revolutionary 'new kind of ride' and the name of the vehicle is an acronym for "New Additional Value for India".

Honda will make available a wide range of accessories for the Navi at dealerships.

Since the Honda Navi attempts to create a new market and a new segment, the company says it does not have a sales target. YS Guleria, Senior VP (Sales and Marketing), HMSI, has said that the Navi will initially be rolled out at low volumes and then based on demand the supply will be adjusted.
SOURCE: http://indianautosblog.com/2016/03/h...elivery-225230

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th March 2016 at 03:23.
Old 20th March 2016, 16:55   #40

So it's basically the Grom rebranded?
Old 20th March 2016, 17:15   #41

For people who are looking for gearless segment, Honda Navi looks for sure a good option but I am yet to be convinced on the looks of this mini bike thing. This and the Aprila SR150 are the two most awaited launches in two wheeler segment for me to replace the Activa.

I understand that the price difference between these two vehicles will be alot but moving on from Activa, I feel that SR150 will be more an upgrade but let us wait and see!
Old 31st March 2016, 20:35   #42
BHPian

I booked the NAVI today. The on-road price in Bangalore is Rs.51,000.00 (excluding "accessories" like number plates which cost an additional Rs.800.00). The surprising part is the showroom folks (Ananda Honda, Hebbagodi) said that NAVI has still not got any RTO Clearance. They said that it could take anywhere from 15 days to a month for them to get the RTO Clearance and then start the delivery of the NAVI.
So the long wait begins now.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 23:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I booked the NAVI today. The on-road price in Bangalore is Rs.51,000.00 (excluding "accessories" like number plates which cost an additional Rs.800.00). The surprising part is the showroom folks (Ananda Honda, Hebbagodi) said that NAVI has still not got any RTO Clearance. They said that it could take anywhere from 15 days to a month for them to get the RTO Clearance and then start the delivery of the NAVI.
So the long wait begins now.
I too heard RTO issues as there is a dichotomy to classify it as a scooter or motorcycle !!! Indeed its a long wait.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:56   #44
BHPian

If the wheels were a few inches larger and the engine slightly more powerful, I would buy this even at twice its current price point. What they have done here is remove some of the practicality of the scooter, remove the safety aspects of the bike, and then create a hybrid out of what remains. I'm not sure why these half measures. They should've worked towards a proper, big-wheeled automatic bike or simply come out with the PCX 150. The PCX has been in the pipeline for so long that it has probably started to disintegrate.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
If the wheels were a few inches larger and the engine slightly more powerful, I would buy this even at twice its current price point. What they have done here is remove some of the practicality of the scooter, remove the safety aspects of the bike, and then create a hybrid out of what remains. I'm not sure why these half measures. They should've worked towards a proper, big-wheeled automatic bike or simply come out with the PCX 150. The PCX has been in the pipeline for so long that it has probably started to disintegrate.
Because they are here to make money. Creating an expensive niche product will mean very little volume. Some of the Navi will sell just on the basis of its price tag. I think is a great product and should do well in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks