Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 10:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal (founder of Hero Group) passes away

Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal, the founder of the Hero Group, has passed away. He was 92.

Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal (founder of Hero Group) passes away-dr.-brijmohan-lall.jpg

In 2005, Dr. Munjal received the Padma Bhushan award for his contribution to Trade and Industry. Under his leadership, Hero Cycles Limited has been the World’s largest manufacturer of bicycles since 1986 and figures in the Guinness Book of World Records. Hero MotoCorp (formerly Hero Honda Motors Ltd.) has been the world's largest two-wheeler manufacturer now for 14 consecutive years.

He has also led the Hero Group to venture into other areas such as auto ancillary, financial services, renewable energy, education and electronics.

Earlier this year, Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal expressed his duties as the Executive Chairman of Hero MotoCorp. He continued as the Chairman Emeritus of the company and a non-executive director. His son, Mr. Pawan Munjal, is the company's chairman now.
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal (founder of Hero Group) passes away

RIP Shri Brijmohan Lall Munjal,

Hero Honda revolutionized the Indian Motorcycle Industry just as how Maruti did in the 4 wheeler industry under the able leadership of Dr. Munjal

Awards and Recognition conferred on the Legend
  • Awarded Businessman of the Year in 1994 by business magazine "Business India"
  • Received the National Award for outstanding contribution to the Development of Indian Small Scale Industry in 1995.
  • In 1999 Featured in Most Admired CEO List of the magazine "Business Barons".
  • Received The Distinguished Entrepreneurship Award from The PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in 1997.
  • Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Conferred Sir Jehangir Ghandy Medal for Industrial Peace in 2000.
  • Featured as Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the year in 2001.
  • Received The Lifetime Achievement award for "Management" from All India Management Association in 2003.
  • Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi conferred him with a Doctorate; degree of "Doctors of letters" Honoris Causa in October 2004.
  • Awarded "Padma Bhushan"in March 2005 for his contribution to Trade and Industry in 2005.
  • Lifetime Achievement Award by TERI in 2011 (02/02/11).
  • Lifetime Achievement Award by Ernst & Young in 2011 (07/02/11).
  • Lifetime Contribution Award by All India Management Association in 2011 (20/04/11).
  • Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by IIT, Kharagpur in 2011 (22/08/11).
  • Lifetime Achievement for the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship in 2011 (11/11/11).
  • Awards by Enterprise Asia in 2011.
Source: Wikipedia
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:29   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a life and what a legend. Even at the age of 90, he would put in 6 hours of work at the office. R-I-P and sincere condolences to the family.

For those unfamiliar with his story, here's a great article on him - Forbes India.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:57   #4

Respect to the legend. May his soul rests in peace.
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:11   #5
BHPian

One of the key reasons for success of Hero MotoCorp, industry insiders say is Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal’s strong inter-personal relations with his Company’s vendors and dealers. His relationship with them was such that they enjoyed the comfort to reach out directly to him on any issue rather than approaching the concerned department. Also Company executives say that he knew almost every dealer by his first name.

See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/bus....bPhuy86o.dpuf
embee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I had the good fortune to talk to him only once, he was simplicity and dignity personified. He will always remain a wonderful inspiration for me. I offer my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.

"Rest In Peace Dear Munjal Sir".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:38   #7
BHPian

Not particularly a fan of the erstwhile Hero Honda or Hero Motors as a company or it's products, but nothing but respect for Mr. Munjal. Read somewhere that his family had to leave (what is now) Pakistani Punjab and come to Indian Punjab with meager possessions as refugees during the partition. To come from that background and build a world class company is tribute to his hard work and dedication.

RIP Sir!
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:50   #8
BHPian

Rest in Peace sir. Legend and Respect.
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rest in Peace & Respect.

Hope the Company he created achieves even greater heights.

Old 2nd November 2015, 17:46   #10
BHPian

May his soul Rest in Peace.

His contributions for mobility of Indians are priceless.
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:09   #11
BHPian

Rest in Peace Sir. Respect the legend who truly revolutionised Indian 2 wheeler scene.

Still remember my 1986 CD100 that went on like a energizer bunny for almost 15 years without any major glitch for 150000+ Km.
umeshd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:51   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
industry insiders say is Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal’s strong inter-personal relations
He sure knew how to win over people. Here's what Rajiv Bajaj has to say - Economic Times Article.

If this is the way in which he treated a competitor, I can only imagine the warmth to his own family, employees, dealers & suppliers .

Quote:
He blessed us, then put his hands on my wife’s shoulders, his large eyes warmly mirroring his broad smile, and he said precisely this to her: “You have married the most intelligent man in the two-wheeler industry.”
Quote:
Over subsequent years, there would be numerous other awards, and almost unfailingly the first to congratulate me was either my mother or Babuji. How he found out I never knew, and why he wished me so I never understood, but he always did.
Quote:
If it was a social event or a family function, he would enquire how I was, tell me how proud he was of me, and wish me well for the future. Invariably, members of his family would be present, and he would introduce me to them with the warmth that an elder reserves for one of his own.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:50   #13
BHPian

He was an amazing man. We have been tied with Hero company since 1960s when my grandfather opened up a Hero Cycles shop. An amazing anecdote of him below.

Around 8 years back, we opened up a new Hero Dealership Showroom (that time it was Hero Honda). I was not in India at that time but Brijmohan Lal Sir as chairman came for official opening. As our original dealership is the oldest dealership in country we always managed to get the big guys for the openings.

At that same time my grandfather who had fought cancer just an year before had fallen down and also was sick so was in Hospital. Usually for these things the Chairman would fly in on their private flight and then fly out after the ceremony. After the opening ceremony was over, the Chairman Sir inquired about my grandfather and why he was not present. Upon learning that he was in the hospital, he insisted that they go visit him in the hospital and sat there with my grandfather for 15 odd minutes just chatting.

There are many more stories about how humble and friendly he was. He remembered the names of all dealers and their families. He would meet with them, talk with them on all occasions when present.

What an amazing person and a great loss for the country, two wheeler industry and Hero Motocorp. I hope that the new generation taking over the business will take guidance from his philosophy and continue along the same footsteps.
kumarshah is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 10:17   #14
BHPian

The greatness of Shri Brij Mohan Lall Munjal is well known. His generosity, his values, concern for people, are all well documented. Yet, his greatness could also be seen in the one endeavour that he failed in. The failure indicates how great the man truly was and how some of the people who are praising him today did not uphold his values at a time when it mattered.

I refer to the incident of Bajaj going to court against TVS when the latter used the dual plug in one cylinder technology in the now failed TVS Flame motorcycle. Rajiv Bajaj was adamant that it was an infringement of the patent that his company held. Venu Srinivasan of TVS argued that there was nothing new about that technology and that Indian patent laws were archaic, but even if it was to be argued that the patent law holds his product had a crucial difference one which pertained to valve technology where TVS made a point that it had two different valves for intake which was not the case with the DTS-i engine of Bajaj. At one of the meets where all the auto manufacturers were present Shri. Brij Mohan Lall Munjal tried to bring about a reconciliation between Rajiv Bajaj and Venu Srinivasan and said that the two wheeler manufacturers were one family. Venu Srinivasan claimed that Bajaj deliberately waited till six days before the launch of the Flame to file its petition so that the product would not succeed. Rajiv Bajaj said a patent is a patent.

The end saw TVS winning the case but the Flame which was probably their best design went down the drain. I do not know the veracity of this story but I was told by someone I knew who was in TVS that the company was planning to sue Bajaj for costs and recovery of losses but again it was the patriarch of the Indian two wheeler industry who intervened and requested Venu Srinivasan to not take matters to court any more since in such cases no one wins and both parties lose.

Shri Brij Mohan Lall Munjal could have sat back and enjoyed watching this battle unfold. But the man was larger than that. He tried to bring both his competitors together to overcome their differences through dialogue and not through court cases. This incident to me more than any other exemplifies who Shri Brij Mohan Lall Munjal was and the values that he stood for and espoused be it within his own company or outside. What Rahul Bajaj said after his death felt like it came out of his heart. I do not know if I can say the same for Rajiv Bajaj and Venu Srinivasan. Ultimately Shri. Brij Mohan Lall Munjal was a great man more than anything. His greatness of character made him the great entrepreneur that he became. India has lost a truly exemplary man, whose true greatness will always be underestimated by our inability to see that he was much more than just a great industrialist. Rest in Peace Sir.
sadsack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 00:07   #15
BHPian

Dr. Brijmohan Lall Munjal (founder of Hero Group) passes away

While one might argue that the Japanese would have found some other industrialist to occupy the Indian roads this Rediff article is worth a read for BM Lall Munjal's vision and impact on our roads

http://m.rediff.com/business/column/...y/20151113.htm

RIP a visionary soul.

Last edited by TMRT : 15th November 2015 at 00:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks