Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

BMW has unveiled its 300cc machine, which is believed to be developed in close collaboration with TVS, in Brazil. The concept is named 'Concept Stunt G 310' which should be believed to be the stunting version of the production spec motorcycle.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-bmwconceptstuntg310bur.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-bmwconceptstuntg3105.jpg

The key points BMW boasts about the concept is compact and high perch dimensions which contribute to high levels of agility to the bike. The bike also features an engine cylinder which is tilted to the rear instead of conventional forward inclination and a cylinder head rotated 180 degrees. i.e, the Intake happens from front of the engine and headers emerge from the rear. BMW says that this has allowed for a more compact design of the motorcycle.

Quote:
The BMW Concept Stunt G 310 combines all these qualities and makes clear at first sight: the newly developed 1-cylinder engine allows for very compact proportions thanks to its innovative concept. The special feature is the cylinder which is inclined towards the rear and the cylinder head which is rotated by 180 degrees. This permits optimum placement of the engine in the motorcycle and a short wheelbase in spite of the long swinging arm thereby making the motorcycle very agile. The low-slung front and the raised tail section promise fast and nimble changes of direction as well as dynamic riding. By shifting the intake area towards the front while also moving the exhaust system towards the rear it was possible to place the rear silencer in an upright standing position underneath the seat between engine and spring strut. In this way the silencer is optimally protected and does not limit the stunt rider’s freedom of movement. Even though you may hardly see it, you will not overhear it. Once started, the sound of the BMW Concept Stunt G 310 is sure to attract attention.
Source: visordown.com

Last edited by man_of_steel : 7th October 2015 at 13:13.
man_of_steel is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Definitely one of the more interesting concepts I've seen in a long time. Not sure how close the production version will be in terms of looks, but that 690 Duke like flat face is gonna be an attention grabber. That tank definitely emits a Draken vibe and look at the size of those discs! That kind of muscle looks good for a 300cc.

Wondering to what extent TVS was involved though. Reports say the bike has been completely designed and engineered in Germany and that TVS's role is primarily at the production end to keep costs down. Still a bit unclear on the cross badging bit. Whether this thing is affordable depends on if it's sold as a TVS or a BMW.
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
..at the size of those discs!
I am pretty sure that the huge rear disc is there for this particular stunting variant only.

Quote:
Wondering to what extent TVS was involved though. Reports say the bike has been completely designed and engineered in Germany and that TVS's role is primarily at the production end to keep costs down. Still a bit unclear on the cross badging bit. Whether this thing is affordable depends on if it's sold as a TVS or a BMW.
Wondering the same here. Quite possible that BMW might be inspired by the KTM-Bajaj strategy and followed the same path. As far as the costs are down and the quality is acceptable, its good!
Old 9th October 2015, 13:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Quite possible that BMW might be inspired by the KTM-Bajaj strategy and followed the same path. As far as the costs are down and the quality is acceptable, its good!
And I hope that they do not cut down on ABS. This is a bike I am so looking forward to own and ride.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:42   #5
BHPian

If I blurred my eyes a bit I can picture a KTM duke in there. Seems a bit unoriginal to me bar the the reverse cyl engine format and a slightly different frame. That front disc, the forks and triple clamps all scream KTM duke to me.

But forget the parts sharing (or stealing? ) bit. Even the frame geometry, the rear shock angle, the rake, the swing arm length all seems to have been traced out from the KTM.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 9th October 2015 at 17:59.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

MCN's report and image on the same. Looks quite good.

source: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...n-going-small/

Quote:
While the new R nineT range isn’t breaking dramatically new ground for the German firm, their decision to move into the sub-500cc is a radical departure. The first fruit of their collaboration with Indian giant TVS is expected to debut next month at the Milan show in the form of a naked roadster, before following the same platform direction as all of BMW’s other chassis and engine packages, by spawning further models. The firm have built their massive recent success on having three to five models based on every platform, currently meaning a five-bike R-series range for the liquid-cooled motor, three-bike S1000 series, and so on down the range. An anticipated five-bike R nineT range will be in existence within the next two years, while we expect this new 310 roadster to be followed by two further versions.

It's likely that the roadster will be joined by a version that apes the R1200GS, while a third version is rumoured to be a retro-focussed street bike.

The only official nod to any of these small capacity bikes is the stunt concept shown by the company in Brazil this week, so firm technical details are scant.

What we do know is that the new models will use a liquid-cooled 310cc double overhead cam single cylinder engine, mounted in a steel frame. The cylinder head is reversed and canted backwards to allow the intake to sit at the front, while the exhaust exits at the rear. The full exhaust system appears to be around 2 feet long, with the muffler mounted vertically between the back of the engine and the conventional monoshock – pointing directly at the ground. While this is clearly visible on the stunt bike, we expect the roadster will need more effective silencing and emissions control, which will result in a large collector box/muffler filling that space. For newbies and urbanites, it’s a great solution that makes the bike very narrow, and minimises expensive damage in the event of a spill.

There’s no word on price or availability yet, but we expect it to arrive in dealers in Spring 2016 at sub-£4000 as a strong competitor for Yamaha’s new MT-03 and Kawasaki’s Z300.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 19:09   #7
BHPian

The motorcycle has been unveiled finally, called BMW G 310 R.

34HP@9500RPM, 28Nm@7500RPM.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-82395.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-82409.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-82402.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-82396.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-82397.jpg

Quote:
The highlights of the new BMW G 310 R:
Innovative liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with two overhead camshafts, backward-tilted cylinder and intake tract positioned at the front.
Output 25 kW (34 hp) at 9 500 rpm and a maximum torque of 28 Nm at 7 500 rpm.
Rigid tubular steel frame, upside-down fork and long swinging arm for a high degree of ride stability, precise steering response and sound handling.
Tyres 110/70 R 17 at front and 150/60 R 17 at rear.
High-performance brake system and ABS as standard.
Sophisticated ergonomics and multifunctional instrument cluster.
Low seat height of just 785 millimetres.
Dynamic roadster design with echoes of the S 1000 R.
Developed in Munich by BMW Motorrad – produced in India by cooperation partner TVS Motor Company.
Individually tailored optional accessories in the familiar high quality typical of BMW Motorrad.
Some other important points from the press release:
Quote:
Innovative single-cylinder engine for dynamic riding fun and suitability for a broad range of uses worldwide.
The centrepiece of the new BMW G 310 R is a completely newly developed 313 cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with four valves and two overhead camshafts together with electronic fuel injection. The capacity of 313 cc results from a bore of 80 millimetres and a stroke of 62.1 millimetres.
The striking feature of the engine is its backward-tilted cylinder in open-deck design with the cylinder head turned by 180 degrees, making it possible to position the intake tract at the front, viewed in the direction of travel. With an output of 25 kW (34 hp) at 9 500 rpm and a maximum torque of 28 Nm at 7 500 rpm, the engine of the new G 310 R is a very dynamic partner in conjunction with the low unladen weight of 158.5 kilograms according to DIN.

Sophisticated ergonomics and an easy ride response.
Rigid tubular steel frame, upside-down fork and long swinging arm for a high degree of ride stability, precise steering response and sound handling. In terms of suspension, the new G 310 R has a torsionally stiff, highly robust tubular steel frame in grid structure with bolt-on rear frame. The front wheel suspension is taken care of by a solid upside-down fork while at the rear there is an aluminium swinging arm in conjunction with a spring strut that is mounted on it directly.

High-performance brake system, ABS as standard and multifunction instrument cluster.
Like all BMW motorcycles, the new G 310 R is fitted with ABS as standard. It combines a powerful brake system with 2-channel ABS. At the front wheel, a single-disc brake with radially bolted 4-piston fixed caliper and a brake disc diameter of 300 millimetres ensures powerful and stable deceleration. At the rear, this function is performed by a 2-piston floating caliper in conjunction with a 240-millimetre brake disc. The G 310 R instrument cluster has a large liquid crystal display that offers excellent clarity and a wide range of information.

Source- BMW Press Release

Image source

My opinion:
Looks great. Finally a common man can own a BMW.
Sits right in between Duke 200 and Duke 390 in terms of power output.
The rear looks very similar to Duke.
I'm personally disappointed at the power output (good enough for a 310cc single though). May be the supersport version of this will have higher power output due to higher RPM. I hope they come up with a 400+cc capacity model which competes with KTM 390s.

Last edited by theredliner : 11th November 2015 at 19:33.
theredliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 19:43   #8
BHPian

A video is out as well. The bike sounds kind of tinny at idle, like KTM 200/390. Exhaust note doesn't have bassy character like TVS Apache RTR.
Switchgear, bar end weights and handlebar grip are lifted straight from TVS Apache RTR

Overall, it is giving me an impression of 'Duke 310 with a BMW badge'

PS More videos from shoot locations,

Last edited by theredliner : 11th November 2015 at 19:53.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 20:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The rear looks very similar to Duke.
This looks like a not-so-distant cousin of Duke!! The exhaust looks a bit ungainly and spoils the look (or am I comparing it too much with Duke!!).

The saddle height of 785 mm is so reassuring! And so are the tyre specs which are identical to Duke/RC. Finally, we can hope for better availability of tyres!

However, I wonder how well it would be priced in India. So long as it competes on price with KTMs on price, it should sell nicely.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Some more specs:

Quote:
Engine capacity: 313cc

Bore/stroke 80/62mm

Output: 34hp @ 9,500rpm

Torque: 20.6lbft @ 7,500rpm

Type: liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine

No. of cylinders: 1

Compression/fuel: 10.6:1 / premium unleaded (95 RON)

Valve/accelerator actuation: DOHC

Valves per cylinder: 4

Intake/outlet: 33.5/27.2mm

Throttle valves: 42mm

Engine control: BMS-E2

Emission control: closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter

Alternator: 330W

Clutch: Multi-plate wet clutch

Gearbox: constant-mesh 6-speed

Rear wheel drive O-ring chain

Frame construction type: Tubular steel frame in grid structure with bolt-on rear frame

Front wheel suspension: Telescopic fork, Ø 41mm

Rear wheel suspension: Aluminium swinging arm in conjunction with a directly-mounted spring strut

Total spring travel, front/rear: 140/131mm

Wheelbase 1,374mm

Steering head angle: 64.9°

Brakes front: Single-disc brake 300mm

Rear: Single-disc brake 240mm

ABS: BMW Motorrad ABS

Wheels: 5-spoke light alloy die-cast

Front: 3.0 x 17"

Rear: 4.0 x 17"

Tyres front: 110/70 R 17

Tyres rear: 150/60 R 17

Dimensions and weights:

Total length: 1,988mm

Total width with mirrors: 896mm

Seat height: 785mm

DIN unladen weight, road ready: 158.5kg

Permitted total weight: 345kg

Fuel tank capacity: 11 litres

Performance figures

Fuel consumption: 84.8mpg

Top speed: 90mph
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This looks like a not-so-distant cousin of Duke!! The exhaust looks a bit ungainly and spoils the look (or am I comparing it too much with Duke!!).

The saddle height of 785 mm is so reassuring! And so are the tyre specs which are identical to Duke/RC. Finally, we can hope for better availability of tyres!

However, I wonder how well it would be priced in India. So long as it competes on price with KTMs on price, it should sell nicely.
This bike seems to be in a no man's land. Considerably less powerful than a Duke 390, but should cost the same or more - knowing BMW's brand premium. Unless someone wants a BMW branded bike/doesn't want a bike built at Bajaj's factory, this doesn't make much sense at ~1.8L price point. Performance enthusiasts and weekend riders will be turned off by the lower power output. Unlike the Mojo, the 11 litre tank doesn't seem to appeal to tourers either. On a second thought, it might be able to attract some prospective customers of Duke 200, mainly because of ABS and additional power.

Top speed of 90mph ~ 145 km/h That is similar to what a Mojo does. The Duke seems to be a level or two above this in terms of performance. It is around 4kg lighter as well. Then again, Duke's claimed top speed as per KTM is around 100mph/162 km/h. 90mph is fine for 34 HP in that case.

All said, I personally feel BMW should have targeted the limit of A2 segment (with a bigger ~400cc engine) just like what KTM did with 390. If it was as powerful as a 390, I wouldn't have minded paying 30-50k premium over KTM provided this one has quality worth the premium. Paying as much/more and getting a much less powerful bike will be a difficult decision, at least for me.

If BMW somehow magically comes up with a supersport BMW G400RR with ~45HP within the next 3 months, I would be ready with a cheque even if it costs ~3-3.25L on road provided the performance and the handling are anywhere near those of RC390

Last edited by theredliner : 11th November 2015 at 21:13.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 21:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Unless someone wants a BMW branded bike/doesn't want a bike built at Bajaj's factory, this doesn't make much sense at ~1.8L price point.
There are many who despise the build quality / reliability offered by Bajaj-KTM. They will have an option. Of course, they'll probably have to pay the price for same.

Also, I feel saddle height will be a factor. There are many who are put off by saddle height of KTM (myself included) but have no alternative.

Quote:
If it was as powerful as a 390, I wouldn't have minded paying 30-50k premium over KTM provided this one has quality worth the premium. Paying as much/more and getting a much less powerful bike will be a difficult decision, at least for me.
Do we have any estimate of how much would this be priced in India? TVS may pull an ace up its sleeve and surprise us all with the pricing, though I see this as only a remote possibility.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 21:50   #12
BHPian

I highly doubt TVS will pull a Bajaj with the BMW badge. The exhaust note sounds very similar to a Duke as well.

Either way people will buy this just for the purpose of having a BMW. Unless they sell it with a TVS badge. And 84.8 mpg can translate realistically to 72 mpg for realistic riding. That, coupled with the 11 liter tank (say about 8.5 usable) is going to translate to around 240-250 kilometers per tank. Not too bad, since it's around the same as the Duke.

It's just that now, people will have options other than the Duke with lesser performance, but that premium tag. It can be a great value proposition vs the Duke 200, but can't touch the 390.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
There are many who despise the build quality / reliability offered by Bajaj-KTM. They will have an option. Of course, they'll probably have to pay the price for same.
Those are the exact set of people I referred to

Quote:
Also, I feel saddle height will be a factor. There are many who are put off by saddle height of KTM (myself included) but have no alternative.
Agree about the seat height. KTMs are a pain to ride in bumper to bumper traffic for shorter people.

Quote:
Do we have any estimate of how much would this be priced in India? TVS may pull an ace up its sleeve and surprise us all with the pricing, though I see this as only a remote possibility.
Absolutely no idea about pricing. However, seeing how a newbie like Mahindra is asking ~1.6 lakh for a 27HP heavy touring bike, I don't think we can expect anything less than ~1.8 lakh for a sharp, light 34HP bike "engineered by BMW" that seems to have good build quality as well.
The final pricing would depend on whether the bike is sold under TVS badge or BMW. In any case, I don't think we'll see pricing below 1.8L IMO.
Old 11th November 2015, 22:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
I highly doubt TVS will pull a Bajaj with the BMW badge.
Quote:
The final pricing would depend on whether the bike is sold under TVS badge or BMW.
I don't think this will be branded BMW. Even KTMs aren't branded Bajaj even though there has been joint development while TVS is just a manufacturing partner. I hope TVS-BMW sign some platform sharing agreement and there are derived products a la Pulsar 200NS. That would be a game-changer for TVS!
Old 11th November 2015, 22:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this will be branded BMW. Even KTMs aren't branded Bajaj even though there has been joint development while TVS is just a manufacturing partner. I hope TVS-BMW sign some platform sharing agreement and there are derived products a la Pulsar 200NS. That would be a game-changer for TVS!
I think you meant "I don't think this will be branded TVS"
In that case, I too feel the same, but some people over the internet are thinking the other way since TVS doesn't gain anything by promoting BMW's brand unlike Bajaj who has stake in KTM.
Then again, in my view, since TVS is only building the bike for BMW, I don't think they can slap their own badge onto it.

Coming to the derivatives, I think the upcoming Apache 200 already has a lot of inputs from BMW. It would be one heck of a daily commuter in that case!

BTW, the tyre in the pics is Michelin Pilot Street Radial. Isn't that already available in India and being used by 390 owners as a cheaper alternative to Metzelers?

Last edited by theredliner : 11th November 2015 at 22:18.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks