Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2018, 23:07   #436
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Premium Service Bill, received via multiple whatsapp sources -

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-img20180909wa0032.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-img20180909wa0033.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th September 2018 at 23:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 07:04   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Premium Service Bill, received via multiple whatsapp sources -

That's quite a steep bill to pay for a four stroke single's servicing. To put it in perspective, the normal paid service for a KTM 390 Duke is only close to Rs 3000, including GST.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 08:33   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
To put it in perspective
Even more perspective - Bhp'ian Athek paid 1137/- for the first service of his RR310. Infact, I paid less for the 1st service of my Versys 650 - Rs. 4746/-

Again - this pricing might not affect the owners of the GS310, but 310R owners might cry looking at the competition.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2018 at 08:45.
Old 10th September 2018, 18:02   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's quite a steep bill to pay for a four stroke single's servicing. To put it in perspective, the normal paid service for a KTM 390 Duke is only close to Rs 3000, including GST.
I think its not that bad, considering that the service is done along with the bigger BMW imports. They did mention they do not differentiate between 310 customers and their imported bike buyers. Also they do not seem to have any immediate plans to have a separate service center for the 310 twins. So considering the present service scenario, i was afraid they would charge more. i would be much happier if they had a separate service center for 310 without all the bells and whistles and coffees, did a decent service job and charged less but seems no such plans. Whats comforting is that as long as the bike holds, service intervals are 10k kms so mostly once a year visit.

Quote:

Even more perspective - Bhp'ian Athek paid 1137/- for the first service of his RR310. Infact, I paid less for the 1st service of my Versys 650 - Rs. 4746/-
Those were the good old KTM days.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 18:34   #440
Senior - BHPian

G310R gets a celebrity customer.
Source: social media feed of BMW motorrad

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-g310ryuvi01.jpg

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-g310ryuvi02.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 18:58   #441
BANNED

Quote:
Premium Service Bill, received via multiple whatsapp sources
Am I the only one who feels that the owner has been ripped apart by the SVC?

2K And 8 pieces run-in replacements?
Old 11th September 2018, 19:02   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Yuvi seems to have got it for free, or has he started saving for his post retirement life. Why will he otherwise buy this bike is beyond my understanding.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th September 2018 at 19:03.
Old 11th September 2018, 19:22   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Yuvi seems to have got it for free, or has he started saving for his post retirement life. Why will he otherwise buy this bike is beyond my understanding.
It's definitely for promotional purpose and hence ofcourse free. Just like Ranveer Singh driving a Ciaz
Old 12th September 2018, 11:27   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield Himalayan gives the 310GS a run for its money overseas -

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2ovHFprXckU
Yes I too agree. This month RE launched Himalayan with ABS (dual Channel) version. On road Price in Bangalore is 232457/-. I feel now this bike is worth the money.
I too waited for GS launch and now I am sure that I need to go with Himalayan. This Bike is now tested for 2 + years and most of the technical glitches are solved.
Old 12th September 2018, 15:41   #445
BHPian

Spotted a G310R on my way to work. I have to admit that it has some presence on the road. Especially those golden colored forks. It is quite eye-catching. Even on a red G310R, those golden forks where standing out and screaming for attention. Couldn't hear the exhaust note. No pictures either since I was riding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
IJust like Ranveer Singh driving a Ciaz
Does he really drive around in a Ciaz?
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 18:49   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post

Does he really drive around in a Ciaz?
I thought the sarcasm was evident?

Btw he has one in his garage as per a few articles. One is this from cartoq and we all know how much he would be driving around in it.

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-screenshot_2018091218494301.png

Coming back to the topic, yet to see any 310R in Bangalore and I travel from Bannerghata road to hebbal thrice a week bisecting the city (well almost).

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th September 2018 at 18:57.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 20:31   #447
BHPian

Yuvraj also buys one. I am not sure if he's gonna keep or is it another publicity stunt.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...g-310-r/31867/
Old 12th September 2018, 21:42   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Yuvraj also buys one
That is probably a gift from BMW and would be more of a publicity and for promotion.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 00:34   #449
Team-BHP Support

Comparison test: Can the BMW G 310 R better the benchmark set by the IMOTY winning KTM 390 Duke?

Old 21st September 2018, 14:46   #450
BHPian

Test Drove the G310GS, Duke 390 and Apache RR310 on the same day:

So this is going to be a lengthy post…

I am out in the market for a 300cc-ish motorcycle for city use as well as weekend rides on the highway (no track days). I had my eyes set on the 310 twins ever since the announcement. The VFM pricing (according to me) of the Apache RR310 only got my hopes higher about the BMW twins but let us not comment further on that.

I had shortlisted the KTM Duke 390, Apache RR310 and both the BMW twins (GS is bit out of budget). I didn't shortlist the Ninja 300 due to the following reasons:

(i) I have ridden a Ninja 300 before and the riding position isn't comfortable for me. Same applies for R3. Yes, I know the twin cylinder engine is in a different league altogether but riding comfort is a bigger factor for me personally.

(ii) Not sure where they have done the cost-cutting for the cheaper 2018 model. I am aware of the Endurance brakes.

First stop was the Navnit Motors BMW Motorrad dealership in Ahmedabad. This was my first visit to a "premium" dealership and boy did it leave me impressed! The sales guy answered almost all of my queries promptly. I was immediately attended to upon entering even though there were quite a few people there already. The dealership itself was well designed and chic. I first requested for a test drive of the G310R and the sales guy was quick to regret that they have no 310Rs available for a test drive (shocking!), although 2 of them were on display (black and HP white variant). I then asked for a test-drive of the baby GS and he was quick to get the keys and a helmet (it was an LS2). Before I proceed with my impressions of the GS test drive, I must say that both the 310 twins have a good amount of road presence and the bikes look bigger in person than what they seem on the numerous YouTube videos. The bikes also held their own amongst the 1200 GS and RR on display and were not dwarfed by the bigger BMWs. Paint finish and quality of parts looks top notch.

G310 GS

The riding position on the GS is really comfortable and the seat is wide enough. The moment I turned the key the sales guy informed me to keep the revs high when releasing the clutch to avoid stalling. This also turned out to be true. The gearshift from neutral to 1st also felt clunky (probably because the bike hardly had any kilometres on the ODO and was not run in). A short ride later, here are my likes and dislikes:

Like: (1) Seat height and ergonomics. I am 5'10" and my legs reached the ground but not comfortably enough. A lower seat option is available though. Once on the saddle, you can ride this bike all day. The handlebars are higher and wider than 310R allowing for a more “on-the-bike” instead of a “part-of-the-bike” feel that the 310R and KTM gave me.

(2) Brakes. Good bite and confidence inspiring. The GS has a switchable ABS too!

(3) The suspension is well balanced and soaks up potholes and speed breakers like a charm (with and without pillion).

(4) Engine is mostly vibe free but start expecting a buzz on the handlebars post 7000 rpms.

(5) 2nd service onwards the service interval is 10k kms compared to 7,500 of the Duke 390 and 5000 of the Apache RR310. Makes you believe that the quality is not just on the parts that are visible but internals too.

(6) No non-sense and informative display with good sunlight legibility. However, the tell-tale lights on the sides are hardly visible during the day.

Dislikes: (1) Headlights. Although I didn't get to see the headlight throw in the dark it still has a halogen bulb (ancient for this segment now). There is slight movement on the headlight assembly of the GS but BMW says it is intentional for an adventure bike and won't cause any rattling.

(2) I found the rear-view mirrors to be useless as all I could see was my arm. No, I don’t work out.

(3) The gearbox. Although I believe it is not fair to comment on a bike's gearbox before it has run 1000kms, the gearshifts need improvement and finding Neutral is no easy task.

(4) No slipper clutch. C'mon BMW!

(5) Overpriced accessories. I am not sure if it counts as a con but all the original accessories (tank bags etc.) available for this bike are sure to rip a hole in your pocket! The on-road price includes an optional BMW Essentials Package for Rs.16,500/- which is basically a BMW riding jacket.

I didn’t get to test drive the G310R unfortunately but they let me sit on one of the display units to check the ergonomics. The handlebar is smaller and lower than the GS and so is the seat height. The seat is equally wide and comfortable and I believe this bike would handle better than the GS for sure. Can’t comment on the suspension without driving it since they are different from the ones on the GS.

As you might have noticed, I have not listed the BMW brand as a pro and neither have I listed the price as a con. This aspect is completely subjective and to each his own. I personally was impressed with the pre-sales experience and I was informed that with respect to after sales service they have a strict mandate from the management to not differentiate between the bigger bikes and the 310 twins. I guess these things come at a price. Although, the engine and other mechanicals are shared with the RR310 the fuel management system, ABS and display unit are different on the BMW. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they would be better since I found the gearbox on the TVS to be smoother and well configured for city use even though G310R is the street naked among the 3. In the end, I must say that if either of the 310 twins were cheaper by 50K, I would have walked out of the showroom booking one of them.

Next stop was the KTM dealership. The dealership experience was good but nothing that requires special mention. I asked for a test drive and the guy asks me first about my prior riding experience (I guess this is required considering that the amount of power that the 390 holds can surprise most). I was directed to the TD bike which was in shoddy condition (dusty, broken indicator lights, no rear-view mirrors). As soon as I hopped on, I realized why people love the KTMs so much. Here are my likes and dislikes:

KTM Duke 390

Like: (i) The riding position is engaging and almost calls you out to test its handling prowess.

(ii) The handling. Best-in-class. Period.

(iii) The brakes are on par with the BMW

(iv) That beauty of a TFT display. I know the more the features, the more they are prone to have bugs but it is just great to look at!

Dislike: (i) The seat itself is a little narrow for my liking. Didn’t find it that comfortable for long rides. Perfect for city use though.

(ii) The engine heat management still needs improvement. Didn’t face any heating issue on the BMW but I did feel the heat building up on the 390. Nothing too bad though.

(iii) For some reason, when I tested with a pillion, he reported quite a bit of vibe on the rear seat and foot pegs.

(iv) Seat is too tall for short riders. Not adjustable as informed by sales staff.

I hardly had any problems with the KTM Duke 390 and I find it to be excellent value for money. However, looks are subjective and for me, the radical looks of the KTM are a little hard to digest (I am old fashioned that way). I know it’s a KTM and it is supposed to be like that. Personally, I loved the matured designs of the BMW twins over the KTM but that is hardly a con for the KTM.

Next stop, TVS. Since I had been informed that the local TVS dealerships are not giving the RR310 for test drives, I happened to call them 3 days prior to my visit. I was informed on Wednesday afternoon that a test drive vehicle is available and I should visit on Saturday morning if I want a proper test drive. I reached the dealership and I could only see Jupiters, Ntorq and Apache RTR 200 at the dealership. Then I spotted this red beast in an isolated corner of the dealership. I must say, this is a big bike and can be easily mistaken for a 600cc+ vehicle (or maybe because it was in the company of smaller bikes and scooters). TVS really needs to place this product well in their dealerships. There is hardly any awareness about the bike (as admitted by their sales personnel also) except for enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I was informed that the TD bike has gone for service. I informed the sales guy that he had committed to me on Wednesday that I should come for a TD today. Realizing his goof-up he called up the service centre. I was informed that the bike was undergoing service and would be done in about an hour and I can visit the service centre (located 6 kms away) if I wanted to TD the bike. I asked for the on-road pricing and the guy flatly refused to share the price sheet except if I was booking right now since the prices are subject to changes before Diwali. However, he orally informed me the on-road price (I forgot the exact quote). The experience at the TVS showroom was below average for the following reasons:

(i) The bike was kept in a corner without any proper lighting. This beauty deserves to be kept in all its glory to attract maximum interest. What are they thinking?!
(ii) I had to go to their service centre for a TD of the bike even though I had taken a prior appointment. On the other hand, my KTM and BMW visits were walk-ins.
(iii) I am aware of the chain knocking sound issue on the RR310. So was the sales associate. What does he do? While explaining the features to me, he tells me that “the chain has a “special” cover which makes a sound while riding and it is normal so please don’t complain about it at the service centre. This is how the bike sounds!”

Apache RR310

Last and final stop, the TVS service centre. I enter the service centre and this sparkling new freshly serviced matte black RR310 is waiting for me. Hands down the best design on an Indian bike in my opinion! Here are the likes and dislikes:

Like:

(i) The looks. For around 2.5 L on road, this is the most gorgeous sports bike you can buy in India. I know looks are subjective but the RR310 deserved a special mention of its looks.
(ii) The gearshifts. Maybe because this was just after a service and had already run in quite a few kilometers, the gearshifts were smooth and gear ratios are well laid out for both city and highway sprints.
(iii) The headlamps. Good enough spread and look premium too. BMW are you listening?
(iv) Engine heat management. The patented heat deflecting fins really do their job well.

Dislike:

(i) Based on reviews, I was informed that the bike has a balanced riding position and is good for touring. However, by the time I test drove the RR310, I was already pampered by the G310s and the KTM 390. It is not as aggressive as an RC200/390, but it is still quite forward biased (obviously). Handlebar risers should do the job but without them I was just not comfortable with the riding position.
(ii) The suspension is on the stiffer side (race-spec I guess) and could have been better tuned.
(iii) Don’t even think of getting a pillion on this!
(iv) Shoddy pre-sales experience as explained above. Further, I enquired with the service manager if the Apache RR310 gets dedicated service bays in their service station and he said “Nope”. Their service stations are already burdened with the very well selling Jupiter (proud owner of one). So I don’t expect the after sales experience to get better either. TVS really needs to work on a strategy for such premium products. With the RR310 and the upcoming power cruiser, maybe go the NEXA way?

At the end of the day, I had to unfortunately rule out the Apache RR310 from my short list, not because it is a bad bike but because it is not the right bike for my requirements and the dealership experience left me disappointed.

Coming to the KTM and the G310 twins, I had to rule out the GS310 due to budget constraints. The final pick shall be between the G310R and the Duke 390 (thank you CrazyDriver for the above post. What timing!)
targaryen is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks