Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 23:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Try the RC390. If you are okay with the vibrations and sitting posture, you can save 1.5 Lakhs. Don't test ride the R3 after that, you might get convinced to spend the extra 1.5 lakhs
I guess it would have been a no brainer if i was planning to use the same bike for daily commute, but becomes extremely tough to chose when it is just a 200 km long drive a week, and you know that RC390 is just waiting to fly.

That said will definitely try out the R3 when ever the dealer permits a test drive and then decide, another option could be a used N650.

But let me not dwell too much about it right now, and maybe start this debate closer to my buying time and for now i wish you many kms of happy and safe driving.

God Bless!!
Old 22nd September 2015, 06:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I guess it would have been a no brainer if i was planning to use the same bike for daily commute, but becomes extremely tough to chose when it is just a 200 km long drive a week, and you know that RC390 is just waiting to fly.
I find both the bikes from two different segments. R3 as a Sports Tourer while the RC in the supersports category. I am sure one ride in both and you will be able to make up your mind in no time. For me it was touring, hence it was a no brainer.

All the best !
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:47   #33
BHPian

Congrats!

I was in a dilemma whether to wait for the R3 or go with the trusted Ninja 300. Finally decided to go with the Ninja. Hope to catch up sometime for a ride and compare notes (er, bikes i mean)
rangan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:07   #34
BHPian

Congratulations Abhishek, your R3 looks stunning in that blue and white shade. Loved the write-up and amazing pictures as well. Definitely deserves 5 Stars!

The R3 looks like the best option from a daily commute point of view, given its less committed riding position and light clutch! This is so so tempting!!!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

abhisheksircar mate first of all congrats on buying the Yamaha YFZR3 and secondly a brilliant review. Although I haven't seen the R3 in flesh as yet but the pictures you've shared gives me a feeling it has top notch build quality. I am really worried about the spongy brakes and the tyres offered on this motorcycle kissing almost 4 lakhs. Add to that a power delivery of 40+ BHP. I only dread if this one had the ABS and slipper clutch the price would have shot above 4 lakhs. May be that is why Yamaha like its Japanese counterpart Kawasaki(Ninja 300) might have skipped it to keep the prices in check. I feel they can offer these additions at least as an option like car manufacturers do, so that people can buy what they want.

Anyways mate enjoy your motorcycle and keep posting your reviews. Ride hard and ride safe.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I am really worried about the spongy brakes and the tyres offered on this motorcycle kissing almost 4 lakhs. Add to that a power delivery of 40+ BHP. I only dread if this one had the ABS and slipper clutch the price would have shot above 4 lakhs.
Thanks Navin. The brakes and tyres are not alarmingly bad but I sure will not hesitate to mention if I face any issues in daily use. Track use, definitely not there as Navneeth mentioned. Most of the R3 riders in our group have started searching out for other tyre and brake pad options in case if it really bothers us. Will keep this thread updated.

Something that I forgot to mention in the first few posts. Insurance. Who ever is buying it, please ensure that you go for end to end insurance cover since the fairing, headlight assembly and all will not be cheap. Any minor crash can cost you a lot. The difference between a normal insurance and an end to end all covered insurance is just 3500 INR. I would highly recommend it. Another thing, most of these insurances are not cashless, so be ready to shell out the amount from your pocket and then get it refunded in 1-2 weeks.
abhisheksircar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:27   #37
BHPian

abhisheksircar, how good is R3 when it comes to in-gear acceleration (especially in 5th/6th gears) ? This is a very important parameter for a sports tourer. What is the lowest speed one can ride in the 6th gear without lugging the engine ?
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
abhisheksircar, how good is R3 when it comes to in-gear acceleration (especially in 5th/6th gears) ? This is a very important parameter for a sports tourer. What is the lowest speed one can ride in the 6th gear without lugging the engine ?
I did not have a problem to go from 50km/hr to cruising speed in 6th gear. No lugging. I didn't go below that.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Congrats Abhishek! Fantastic thread, just caught it.

Your bike looks lovely. And man, does the black one look killer!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:28   #40
BHPian

Congratulations on the blue beauty and wish you many joyful miles on it. What is the fuel type recommended by Yamaha? Since the compression ratio is above 10, are you required to run it on 97 octane?
Bookkeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 23:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

The R3 is beautiful. The bike does not require in reality to run on higher octane fuel. If you can afford it there is nothing wrong running it on super.

Even some of the guys here run their 650 on standard fuel.

The black one looks a killer to me while the BLUE BLEEDS yamaha everywhere
Old 24th September 2015, 00:56   #42
BHPian

A very good review and adding in the track reviews from Pro's was icing on the cake.

I am yet to test ride the R3, but had a chance to sit on the bike. The ergonomics and rider stance felt relaxed. Coming to the bike being not track focused, I believe that it is not such a big deal, since very few are lucky enough to ever take a bike to a track day, I would any day settle for a bike set up like R3 than a track focused RC390.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhi on your new bike. Wishing you many years of happy and safe rides.

I enjoyed reading your report, very detailed and covers all the minute aspects which a prospective buyer in this class of bikes may be looking for. Thanks for sharing your views in so much detail.

The R3 does look hot and will be a really comfy mile muncher. I'm eager to see these on the roads soon and hopefully in our groups too on our rides.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:42   #44
BHPian

Many many congrats on buying a new bike that will go 0-60 in less than 5 seconds whether you want it to or not. Wishing you a great success and happy riding!

Waiting to hear your report after 1st service.
Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 18:35   #45
BHPian

Journey to 1000 kms | First Servicing

Running in or Breaking in the Engine while having a sports tourer or anything which is rev friendly is a painful time. Fortunately this has not been in the case of the R3. It's been fun !! Yamaha R3 does not have the DNA of a very high revving engine like the R15. With the R3, you are almost satisfied at 7K RPM as well although the feel of "Yeah Dil Mange More" continues. And that drove my desire to get to the first servicing soon; and how ?

For most of the current R3 users, being the first few in the lot, the amount we ride depends on the availability of Oil Filters with your preferred Service Station. In my case, it's the Bangalore Wheels. After getting the bike on 5Sept2015, I went really slow on riding as there was no oil filter available. Last week I got a call that Oil Filters are now available. Elusive 5 in number. I usually do a change at some low number on the Odo and then at the recommended 1K kms. I could not hold back to keep it that low and got it changed at 400 kms. The plan was simple. Thursday, change at 400; Friday, ride another 600; Saturday change at 1000; Sunday, ride another 600 and done !!

Thursday. I changed my oil and oil filter. Fully Synthetic Yamalube 10w40 Engine Oil as mentioned before was 450 INR/ltr and I had to buy 3 bottles since the bike requires 2.2 ltrs. I kept the remaining 800 ml for subsequent services. The Denso Oil Filter was for 360 INR. Friday I rode towards Salem and got 920 in the odo leaving 80 aside, just in case. The ride was done with a break every 30 mins and varying RPMs varying from 5K to 7K intermittently. The "just in case" came true. Saturday was a bandh. So I had a bike done with 920 which I could not ride till the next service. Weekdays got busy and the friends who were doing similar runs used up the remaining oil filters.

This Wednesday I got a call from Bangalore Wheels that the next lot of around 5 filters are here. Took a day off and first servicing DONE !! Will finish off the remaining 600 whenever time permits.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-firstservicing.jpg

So how has been the bike been so far

This has been the most fun Breaking In ever !!

In City : 7K RPM is more than what you need within the city. When I used to ride the R15, I used to always wish for an R15 with more power. R3 is just the answer to it. Nimble within the traffic, it's a breeze to ride within the city. The fan does kick in every now and then although it does not take the phrase 'One with the machine' a bit too seriously and keeps the heat away from you. What still bothers me is at every signal whenever I kill the engine with the engine kill switch, the fan is on along with the lights. I would presume Yamaha did think of this and has considered the 12V adequate enough to handle it. And now for the question, if it's hit you yet. "Kitna Deti Hain". On the instrument console, it's 26Km/ltr approx as averaged across a weeks riding within town.

Touring : This is what the bike is made for. This is a sports tourer, no doubt. The seating position is way more relaxed than the R15. Yes, that results in a bit more wind blast than the R15 but not upright enough to act as a sail. I did a 250 with a lot of breaks though since it is in Running in, and a total of 500 to and fro did not feel fatigued. At 7K RPM the bike cruises away to glory. And now, wait, "Kitna Deti Hain" on highways. 32 km/ltr. I know I am riding sane now but I could not have asked more.

I am on the other side of 1000 km and gear shift indicator by default was set at 7500. For the first time I saw it blip in action when I was reaching 8K RPM. It's bright for daylights as well. It will be really bright during the night; I would presume, a bit too bright.

There are no major ghats or curves I have hit to comment on the handling and braking yet. Whatever I have rode, no major complains yet. Enjoying every bit.
abhisheksircar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks