Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 20:40   #1
BHPian

Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)

Came upon a news report that said that civillian bikers, many of them owning bikes not in the commuter class, are helping Mumbai cops catch petty criminals like chain snatchers. They don't get paid, but they're getting an ID from the government and facility for tea/snacks everyday at the police stations itself.

That being done, the petty crime rate seems to have gone down, with the modified and much powerful civilian bikes overpowering the ones of the criminals. However, the bikers aren't allowed to operate on their own and need to have a policeman as a pillion at all times. A must need, I feel.

In my opinion, this is a fantastic move. Not the police, but I once myself helped a toll attendant catch a car with drunk fellows at NICE road (Bangalore), who refused to pay the toll and almost crashed through the barricade. I was wearing my gloves by the toll gate and offered help to the NICE law enforcers, who immediately asked a guy to sit pillion on my D390. Satisfied, I returned home with immense pride as I helped someone to arrest the blatant breaking of law and norms.

Furthermore, this move should be spread to other metropolitans as well, as it may help the already over-burdened police to catch up with those who send the law to the happy hunting grounds! Perhaps this can be brought to the notice of the authorities via social media?

Quote:
Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)-4e49aa0bad50486e80fb613455b141c6wallpaper1.jpg

For a month now, 50 men from various biker groups have been helping the Borivali police take on chain-snatchers, who have for long operated in the area with impunity. The bikers patrol the suburb with policemen in shifts. They don’t get paid for their work; what they do get is an identity card from the police and some tea and snacks at the police station between the morning and evening rounds.

The affluent western suburbs have always been a favourite hunting ground for chain snatchers. Borivali, which has easy access and a large middle-income population, is their first choice, according to an officer at Borivali police station. “The number of chain snatchings has continued to rise, and with more bikers escaping the police, we wanted to know how they managed to flee so quickly. We learnt that many of them ride vehicles that have been modified for extra speed,” said a senior officer.

Realising that the their generic bikes were no match for these souped-up machines, the Borivali police turned to groups of professional bikers and chose 50 men to help chase down chain snatchers. Of these, 25 were brought in as riders, while the rest ride pillion with policemen.
Source

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2015 at 20:16. Reason: Adding an excerpt
barcalad is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)

This is like crowd-sourced, incentivized, supervised justice! I like it...

My only concern here is that the chasing of these petty criminals could actually end up causing a much worse situation -- in terms of a fatal accident for those involved, or even those who just happen to be in the area.

I saw this headline just yesterday : Police chases kill more people each year than floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning — combined
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:51   #3
BHPian

re: Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
My only concern here is that the chasing of these petty criminals could actually end up causing a much worse situation -- in terms of a fatal accident for those involved, or even those who just happen to be in the area.
Agreed.

I reckon that the cops are doing this on more of a trial basis. To see if citizens can be of any help while apprehending chain snatchers and eve teasers or not. With the cops planning to actively involve common citizens in civil policing, I gather it would bring an upheaval of the police's image in the common man's mind.

Accidents, yes. There is a possibility because of rush of patriotism and adrenalin. But if there is a biker who has that energy, courage and will to outdo that modded Dio on the road, it would be wise and beneficial if he can convert the same into something more useful and of deeper purpose.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2015 at 20:13. Reason: Fixing typo
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 21:26   #4
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)

I think this is the first time it has been given some publicity. I have helped a few policemen nab erring motorists . One night , while returning from a friend's place , I was flagged down by a policemen who requested me to chase a few bikes who evaded the nakabandhi. I chased them and we (me and the policemen ) successfully stopped them down the road.

The policeman complimented and thanked me . I felt like I was playing NFS hot pursuit .
girimajiananth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 22:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

The only solution for chain snatching problem is to not wear gold while walking on the road. Wearing gold necklace is equivalent to walking around with garland made out of currency notes worth Rs. 1 Lac.

I asked my wife not to wear Mangalasutra on the road many years ago, not even "1 gram gold". There is a risk of physical harm when a chain is snatched.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 00:36   #6
BHPian

This is nice to hear, civilians and policemen teaming up..

However, Who are these bikers ? It looks like they have more powerful bikes, I am assuming 250 CC or more which points to the relatively affluent.

I am surprised they volunteered their time with out anything in return. and Yes, what happens if a chase goes wrong ? do these bikers get any benefit? I am sure insurance companies will consider a chase like this a form of racing, which they don't cover..
Old 29th July 2015, 01:31   #7
BHPian

While I agree that every citizen can and should play an active role in aiding law enforcement in and around him, I don't think state sponsored vigilantism is the way to go about it.

Mumbai police can do a better job by equipping themselves with better transport and gear. I'm sorry to say but this approach reeks of incompetence.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 02:21   #8
BHPian

This is a great initiative. Read about this in the newspaper a couple of days back. The bikes used mostly by such criminals as well as chasers are Pulsar 220s, 200s, 200NS's. They are not CBR250R's or the likes. (A known cop also attested to this fact).

These bikes are favourite in the 'snatcher circuit' because they offer quite powerful engines at relatively affordable prices. I have myself seen so many under age riders who borrow their family members' 220s and zip through the streets. Their ultimate dream is to buy a 220 someday. You give them 3 lacs to buy some other bike; they will end up buying a 220! Such is the craze. (My comment is not meant to hurt any fellow member who owns a 220 or 200).

There was mention of one particular chain snatcher who has been giving the cops a hard time for quite some time who rides a black Pulsar. One hot pursuit caused the rider and the pillion cop suffer a fall and the snatcher zoomed away. Though not impossible, practically a single rider will definitely be faster than a bike carrying two people, and it will be quite difficult to catch them; or does it work because it is 2-3 bikes chasing the snatcher? Nevertheless, a big thumbs up to the youngsters and Mumbai police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
Mumbai police can do a better job by equipping themselves with better transport and gear. I'm sorry to say but this approach reeks of incompetence.
Haha! How I wish! Have you seen the cops in Mumbai? With their heavy bodies/bellies the best they can do is stand at nakabandis.. Chasing is just not their cup of tea.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 29th July 2015 at 02:27.
Old 29th July 2015, 03:03   #9
BHPian

Why can't the police be provided with proper equipment, including vehicles? This sort of ad-hocism will not do any good. What if a shoot-out happens between the police and the thiefs? What about the volunteers then?
Old 29th July 2015, 06:51   #10
BHPian

And why should the volunteers not be paid ? And who pays for their petrol and repair/ regular maintenance of the bikes?

I do not know if this civilian motorcycle force is a good idea, but giving them tea and snacks, as incentive, is definitely a bad idea.
Old 29th July 2015, 07:06   #11
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Police - who are actually trained for controlling crime - taking help from amateurs sounded like a especially bad idea in the Bollywood masala movie "Dhoom".

This move by the Borivali police station is equally (for the lack of any better word) stupid.
Old 29th July 2015, 07:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Police - who are actually trained for controlling crime - taking help from amateurs sounded like a especially bad idea in the Bollywood masala movie "Dhoom".

This move by the Borivali police station is equally (for the lack of any better word) stupid.
Hi SDP! I beg to differ with your opinion and here why:
- The 'hot' area for chain snatching in Borivali is on the link road - starting from Don Bosco school till the first/main IC Colony entrance - which is frequented by morning / evening walkers as the roads here are wide and traffic is not that heavy.
- This entire stretch has multiple by-lanes which makes it very easy for chain-snatchers on bikes to escape from the police - this is the reason that in-spite of naka-bandis at multiple locations on this road, the police weren't completely effective in curbing this menace.
- Now, by getting volunteers on equal/more powerful bikes, they've been able to successfully nab these chain-snatchers - from what I've heard, most of the gang-members have already been nabbed and the rest will hopefully be soon behind bars as well. Turns out that these chain-snatches are not hardened criminals - they're mostly drug-addicts / youngsters who're looking for some easy money.
- So net-net I feel this is an excellent initiative by the Borivali police to nab criminals with the help of civilians and can be used in other areas as well.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 07:39   #13
BHPian

I am not sure if the idea is good or bad but the intent of the Police is definitely good. All chases have its own risks be it a bike or a car, amateur or professional. At least the police are trying to do something about it within their limits. When a chain snatching spree is going on, we cannot expect the police to wait for powerful vehicles to be procured by the department, get trained in riding them and then take action.

The only thing I hope is that they choose riders after doing some kind of a recruitment from volunteers and make them available in all shifts instead of flagging down a random rider on the road and end up eating tarmac.

Anand
Old 29th July 2015, 07:43   #14
BHPian

Something like this?

Mumbai Cops enlist Bikers to help them nab criminals (chain snatchers, etc)-dhoomposter.jpg

It is a good initiative and if publicized well, can instill fear in the minds of chain snatchers. they will definitely think twice before they venture out for their next looting. But as Rehaan rightly pointed out, safety of other road users should also be taken into account as these miscreants will be desperate to escape during a chase thereby increasing the chance of accident. Other than chasing, why don't Mumbai Police do something more innovative? Like intercepting these chain snatchers from ahead of their escape route? a walkie-talkie can be used to intimate the bikers on duty about chain snatcher's escape route?
Astraholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 07:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

There are big gray areas in this kind of policing. For example:
Who is responsible if the chasing biker falls? or gets injured or dies?
Who will provide for insurance in case of an accident during the chase?
Who is responsible if the criminal gets injured, dies during the chase?

IMO in any of the above cases the local police will conveniently wash their hands of the episode and the civilian will be left handling the mess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks