Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 11:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Report, Pics & Video: Bajaj Pulsar RS200 ridden at the factory test-track

I did catch a glimpse of RS200 on road a few days back and the bike looked good in real. In fact it looked like any other commuter bike as the seating position of the pillion rider is not very high unlike other sports bike.
I had bought a Bajaj Discover in 2004 when it was launched (Remember the Jackie Chan ad) and even after 11 years, the bike is still going strong so I am sold out on Bajaj bikes.

I feel 200RS will find good number of takers.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:53   #17
BHPian

Thanks @Tushar for a detailed write up on the bike. Though you mentioned this is not an official review, however, it has all the information one would seek from the official review.

Beyond doubt Pulsars are evolving ever since. But has this modern looking Pulsar got rid of the trademark Pulsar niggles which Bajaj seems to be ignoring ever since.

You have already mentioned the braking.
1. How about the rattles in Fairing? Did you hear any?
2. P220, in spite of having projected Headlamps (for lower beam), had a pathetic upper beam which more than illuminating the road, would try to blind the upcoming traffic!
3. Pulsars have weird rear view mirrors (or is it that I am spoilt by the nice units on my Avenger) - how about this one?
4. How is the gear shift quality? The last Pulsar I rode was my Brother's P220 (carburetor one) and it has "mute" and "senseless" transmission. No click / no feel whatsoever.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 14:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
1. How about the rattles in Fairing? Did you hear any?
2. P220, in spite of having projected Headlamps (for lower beam), had a pathetic upper beam which more than illuminating the road, would try to blind the upcoming traffic!
3. Pulsars have weird rear view mirrors (or is it that I am spoilt by the nice units on my Avenger) - how about this one?
4. How is the gear shift quality? The last Pulsar I rode was my Brother's P220 (carburetor one) and it has "mute" and "senseless" transmission. No click / no feel whatsoever.
1. No fairing rattle from the 3 bikes I tested, but these are brand new, so only time will tell.
2. Didn't quite see the high beam's effectiveness on the 220, but it's definitely a pain for oncoming traffic. Guess we'll come to know about the RS200's projectors once we see them on the road.
3. Visibility wise, it's adequate. With riding gear, broad shouldered people will need to be a little more careful, but without gear, visibility is good.
4. Shift has a mild click to it. About 8-10% more weight than the CBR 250R.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th April 2015 at 22:56. Reason: well = we'll
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 15:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

An excellent and detailed report Tushar! This is by far the most detailed write up on a motorcycle that I have read in a very long time...and you still haven't even ridden the bike on the streets yet. Would love to know how good the bike is off the track (track: a place meant for amateurs, right Bajaj?)

When I first saw this bike during the time of its launch it looked like the most futuristic Pulsar yet. I'm not sure whether I like its looks but definitely this bike screams for attention. Among the fugly ZMR, this and the Duke 200, the latter would be my pick.

Last edited by S2!!! : 24th April 2015 at 15:47.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 20:24   #20
BHPian

Very detailed write up Tushar! thanks a ton for it. It seems with the RS-200, Bajaj has gone the Hyundai way in styling, lots of cuts and creases around. I agree with your statement of "love it-hate it" design. Personally I am yet to see one in flesh, hence would not be able to comment at this time.

In my opinion, it would have been really nice to see a brand new instrument cluster on the bike rather than carrying on with the NS-200 cluster. I mean if you have spent millions of dollars in getting this from a Concept to Pre-Production to finally Production, how much time, money and effort would engineers and designers at Bajaj could really take to design a brand new cluster. Somehow I felt, the cluster doesn't fit in proportionately with overall bulky design.

Typically in Bajaj bikes, and here I'm referring to Pulsar 220 (first generation) and Pulsar 150 (first generation), it was difficult to find neutral easily. Did you encounter similar problem in this bike, and compared to the Honda CBR250R, how were the refinement levels in the engine?
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 22:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Typically in Bajaj bikes, and here I'm referring to Pulsar 220 (first generation) and Pulsar 150 (first generation), it was difficult to find neutral easily. Did you encounter similar problem in this bike, and compared to the Honda CBR250R, how were the refinement levels in the engine?
Unfortunately finding neutral is still a headache. Not as bad as the UG3 Pulsar, but it still feels like neutral's covered in butter and the lever cant quite grab a hold.

Refinement levels are greatly helped by the FI, but the CBR is still ahead. Can't quantify refinement levels, so that's an inference best left to your personal experience.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 22:56   #22
BHPian

Bajaj does it again. Slapping eye candy (ahem.. only for the Indian 'enthusiasts' who go gaga over these kind of busy styled weird looking two wheeled things) styling on two wheels with no reliability or durability and minting money off the customers before hastily 'refreshing' the model in search of new scapegoats is their forte. I may sound as a Bajaj hater but having burnt my fingers and a deep hole in my pocket with two of Bajaj products, I can't be wrong.

The silver lining is, the engine is from KTM, and it should prove to be better in reliability. But I wonder what made Bajaj to conceive a styling like this! Too busy IMHO!
Old 25th April 2015, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Thanks Tushar for the write up and my opinion. AM impressed. As most of the critics or so called Bajaj haters commented negative, I got to ask them one question. How many of you have owned a Bajaj bike in real?

Am using Bajaj bikes right from KB100 Era, went for a Caliber 115 from 2003 to 2014 covering around 1.65K kms and now own a 200NS too. I never find the product to be faulty and yes you need to do the regular maintenance too. For me, NS is an awesome vehicle and this with FI should be even better.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2015 at 10:52. Reason: Baja = Bajaj
urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 12:50   #24
BHPian

Why no center stand? Bajaj seems to be aping their international competitors by not including it in the Bike.

First Indian bike to come without a center stand?
Old 25th April 2015, 23:17   #25
BHPian

Finally booked the RS 200 today at a Delhi dealer. Will be getting delivery in 10-15 days. It is my first bike which i am trying to convince my parents for past 10 years. Finally they gave up at this juncture of life. I shortlisted Gixxer SF, RC200 and used CBR250. Gixxer was ruled out due uncomfortable riding posture for me I am 5'5", RC200 for sporty ride posture, stiff track oriented suspension, lack of service center in my city. Pulsar RS200 seems to be better deal than it for my limited requirement. Unable to find a decent used CBR250 in and around 100 kms. of my city.
Coincidentally, another overstyled unplanned addition to the garage after XUV. Love it or Hate it !
superbhikari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 13:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Finally booked the RS 200 today at a Delhi dealer. Will be getting delivery in 10-15 days.
Congratulations! It's great that you got it on such a short waiting period. Waiting on the ownership experience thread.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 13:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Congratulations! It's great that you got it on such a short waiting period. Waiting on the ownership experience thread.
Waiting period varies from dealer to dealer in NCR. Some are having 1-1.5 months but Gazipur based Dewan Bajaj is delivering it in 15 days max.
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 04:12   #28
BHPian

IMHO the bike is over done and still would love the RC200 any day, i hate the name pulsar on a complete faired bike, they could have named it better and catered to a whole different audience.
Imagine a new college joiner wants to buy the RS200 Pulsar but shy's away as his father/brother too had/has a pulsar.
Old 28th April 2015, 07:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review Tushar. Pretty detailed.

Rear brakes & rattling issues are the only grudge I have had with them for years. Rest I believe they have given us 'enthusiasts' some pleasure(if not exactly what we want) over the years. No matter how much we worship the Japs, we shouldn't forget if not for bajaj these giants would still consider India a land of snake-charmers and keep feeding us the stone-age tech 100cc two wheelers.

Looks IMO will appeal more to the youth(college crowd/early 20s) who want their two wheelers to be show-stoppers but can't afford the Ninjas/RC390s/RC200(to some extent). Though I would like to pose with it for a couple of instagram pics but owning it is out of question. I rather prefer the styling in RC. Wish they could work some magic on the auto-ish exhaust note

But the tag-line "leave track racing to amateurs" ? That's heights of over-confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Finally booked the RS 200 today ...
Congrats mate. One question, what with the handle name? LoL

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th April 2015 at 07:40.
Old 28th April 2015, 13:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Unfortunately finding neutral is still a headache. Not as bad as the UG3 Pulsar, but it still feels like neutral's covered in butter and the lever cant quite grab a hold.
Well, Not to digress, I have a Pulsar 200 NS and it is very easy to find Neutral, whether the Engine is On or Off (It is relatively easier to find neutral when the engine is off)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks