Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service

In India, a lack of road discipline and traffic congestion often results in ambulances facing severely delayed response times. This is where motorbikes come into the fray and Bangalore has just received a "first responder" bike ambulance service. The riders of these motorcycles will be a team of around 40 trained paramedics and will form a first response team that caters to accident victims until a four wheeled ambulance can arrive to transport the person in need if required.

The motorcycles will be added under the “platinum ten minutes” trauma care initiative that looks to increase the speed of preliminary medical care. The bike chosen for the task is the Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i. The force will consist of 30 such ambulances with 21 being initially deployed at strategic locations in the city. There will be one each in the districts of Mysuru, Mangaluru, Kalaburgi, Belagavi, Hubballi-Dharwad, Davangere, Tumkuru, Vijayapura and Shivamogga.

The project is being executed with the GVK EMRI emergency service that runs the 108 four-wheeler ambulance service. The ambulances will be equipped with medical items such as a stethoscope, glucometer, pulse oximeter, nebulizer and a laryngoscope, along with a host of basic medication. The cost per bike is estimated to be around Rs. 2 Lakh.

Via: News Karnataka

Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service-1.jpg

Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service-2.jpg

Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service-3.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 16th April 2015 at 12:34.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 14:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service

So Bajaj-Avenger stands truly to its name! Saving people's life & feel like God

I'm only wondering how the hell Rajiv Bajaj know this a decade ago?

Bangalore gets a "first responder" bike ambulance service-2005bajajavengerprintad1.jpg
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 22:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks like they read my post from 3 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
With the recent increase of vehicles in cities, the traffic has worsened. I think, something like this (Motorcycle Ambulance) along with a normal ambulance (that can carry a patient ) close behind it will be the best case.
This is going to save more lives. I hope they implement the same in the as many places as possible. And they must have a siren so shrill, that it must annoy the driver in front to give way. People are very reluctant to give way to ambulances (although it is now improving).
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 14:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent move by the Bangalore authorities . Well done!

There is no denying that a large number of deaths occur due to a delay in the patient receiving critical treatment. In Indian traffic, a motorcycle can reach a destination in half (or less) the time that a big ambulance would take.

More pictures available at this link.

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2015 at 14:42.
Old 17th April 2015, 15:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Intention is good, but wrong tool?

I love the Avenger and would love to purchase it despite being such an old launch, but a bike with wheelbase of 1475mm is not my choice for Bangalore traffic. Weekend drive outside the city yes- but as a traffic cutter? No.
Old 17th April 2015, 16:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent move. May be inspired by this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Weekend drive outside the city yes- but as a traffic cutter? No.
What is that a Avenger can't do, but a normal bike can?
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 17:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Intention is good, but wrong tool?

I love the Avenger and would love to purchase it despite being such an old launch, but a bike with wheelbase of 1475mm is not my choice for Bangalore traffic. Weekend drive outside the city yes- but as a traffic cutter? No.
I think the choice of bike is mainly to support that big heavy box at the back. The Avenger is nice and stable and is actually quite agile to use in city. Case in point: The Mumbai traffic police uses it.
Old 18th April 2015, 12:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move. Would surely help in giving the initial first aid till the ambulance arrives.

I hope these bikes are maintained properly in a good running condition. Maintainence is always a question mark when it comes to vehicles operating in such assignments
Old 16th February 2017, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

AmbuPod can ferry patients, paramedics, has diagnostic devices

Bengaluru: Bike ambulances quickly reach patients in emergencies. But a modified bike ambulance designed by Dr Lavanian Dorairaj from Pune does much more.

The bike ambulance is among the primary attractions at the medical devices exhibition that is part of the three-day India Pharma and India Medical Device 2017 which kicked off in the city on Saturday.

Called AmbuPod, it is essentially an extension to a bike ambulance. It can not only reach patients quickly but also accommodate a paramedic. AmbuPod comes with a stretcher and has sufficient space to accommodate a paramedic while the driver can steer the bike.

The ambulance carries makeshift pocket-sized devices that are essential for diagnosis and test during emergencies. Among these are a hand-held ECG, an oximeter, an ambu bag, a suction cup and a doppler.

Besides attending to emergencies such as road accidents, the bike ambulance can also be used to take pregnant women to institutional set-ups for childbirth.

Dorairaj said he thought of devising such an ambulance after serving in the Indian Air Force in rural areas. "I could see the challenges faced by people in villages. I wanted to do something to address this problem," he said.

Dorairaj took nearly four years to design the ambulance and develop the prototype with the help of engineers.

"I have spent my entire pension on this project. It's a labour of love," he said. He is looking at CSR funds or government support to make the ambulance commercially viable.

Telemedicine

The ambulance can also be used as a makeshift OPD clinic in rural areas. "The doctor-patient ratio in India is poor. According to some government reports, there are just 24,000 primary health centres for six lakh villages," Dorairaj said.

The bike ambulance can be stationed in a place where a paramedic or trained person can operate the equipment and send data to doctors in ter

tiary care hospitals. This will help address the shortage of manpower, he said.

DH News Service 12.02.2017
Attached Images

vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks