Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 12:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: KTM Duke 200

Looking to get me the baby duke 200. Exploring the used market and use the spare cash for riding gear. Anything to watch out for on 2 - 3 ry old examples done about 20k?

Am assuming the KTM does not age as well as the Hondas and the Yams
Old 15th April 2015, 13:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Looking to get me the baby duke 200. Exploring the used market and use the spare cash for riding gear. Anything to watch out for on 2 - 3 ry old examples done about 20k?
hothatchaway, This seems to be a good bet for you
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 14:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Am assuming the KTM does not age as well as the Hondas and the Yams
Maybe the Yams. From what I have seen of the Hondas, I do not think of them as benchmark, young or old.

Why not speak to some guys like Wolfy here, who have first lot 200s closing on 30,000 kms, to understand firsthand how they age?

I personally think these are really well built bikes. I have seen bikes take some serious looking tosses, at some serious speeds - both racing and stunting. Rarely seen anything serious happening to them in terms of structural integrity of chassis, fork, swingarm. The rest (plastic and metal) is ridiculously cheap to replace.

And the engines are pretty bombproof. Or we would have heard by now, seeing how almost everyone rips these bikes from nearly day 1.

That leaves only the one weak spot - the rims.

I do not know if these will be keepers like the Bullet. Simply put, they have not been around long enough. But there is nothing on current evidence that makes me believe they could not be keepers, were you to want to keep them.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 12:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
It feels great if my ownership thread is of some help to you in deciding which bike you are going to buy. Do keep us informed when you buy one.
Hey doc, the deed's been done! Amount fully paid for the 200 and getting the delivery next week. Same colour as yours. Thanks again for the exhaustive review and great pictures of the bike .
SilverMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:32   #35
BHPian

Time for a 2nd service update

Date of service: 17.07.2015
Odometer reading:3439 kms

Usual routine check up was done. No major work.

Cost of 2nd service: NIL.

The 1st major crash

I had a crash just a week before the 2nd service. I was riding in the monsoon drizzle while travelling to reach my workplace in the morning. I was trying to overtake another motorcycle. While I was just at an arm's length the motorcycle in front of me jumped in the right lane without an indicator or a hand's signal. I had no time to brake so decided to run off the road into a side ditch instead of crashing onto him. There were noises of shattered glass and the engine stopped running. Fortunately no one was hurt. But my bike bear several damages:

Foot brake lever bent(replaced) : Rs. 335
Both sides rear view mirrors broken(replaced): Rs. 240 each.
Steering handle bar bent(replaced with steering handle bar of KTM Duke 390): Rs. 1005
Clutch yoke broken(replaced with that of Pulsar 220): Rs.60.
Clutch cable switch of Pulsar 220: Rs.90
Crash guard right side bent(repaired): No cost.

Accessories:

Front fork sliders from Motofusion: Rs.1499
Swingarm sliders from Motofusion: Rs.1599
Frame sliders from Motofusion: Rs.4199
Universal CNC Bike Levers Hand Guard Protectors from Moxi: Rs.2850

Review: KTM Duke 200-20.jpg
Front fork sliders

Review: KTM Duke 200-21.jpg
Swingarm sliders

Review: KTM Duke 200-22.jpg
Frame sliders

Review: KTM Duke 200-23.jpg
Universal CNC Bike Levers Hand Guard Protectors

Last edited by docmoya2007 : 23rd August 2015 at 18:40.
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:57   #36
BHPian

Riding gear

Riding Jacket DSG Evo: Rs.5000
Riding gloves(Mad Bike): Rs.700
Riding gloves(KTM): Rs.600
LS2 FF50 Corsa full faced helmet:Rs.3600
Gear shifter pad: Rs150

Review: KTM Duke 200-25.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-26.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-30.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-31.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-27.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-28.jpg
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 21:33   #37
BHPian

Latest addition to the riding gear: Tarmac Blade Riding Boots. Cost: INR 7000/-
Attached Thumbnails
Review: KTM Duke 200-32.jpg  

docmoya2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 21:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Latest addition to the riding gear: Tarmac Blade Riding Boots. Cost: INR 7000/-
The boots make the riding gear complete.
Haven't seen any update for a long time.
Hope your Duke is running in high spirit. Do share updates if any.
mp417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 21:52   #39
BHPian

Thanks for reminding, mp417. With the monsoon rain pouring continuously it's difficult to get time for a good ride. Plus work schedule is a bit hectic these days. Let me try to upload a few pics from previous rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_5402.jpg  

Review: KTM Duke 200-img_6626.jpg  

Review: KTM Duke 200-img_6581.jpg  

Review: KTM Duke 200-img_5517.jpg  

docmoya2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 22:29   #40

Hi everyone!
I'd been putting off this post for quite a while now. Finally decided to publish it today. It was in November 2022 that I decided I need a motorcycle. I had saved up my stipend over 2 years and it was time to turn a childhood dream into reality! After going through all the options in my budget, I zeroed in on KTM Duke 200. Luckily, one of my friends knew a guy who was selling his 2013 Duke 200. I contacted him and the very next day went to look at the bike. Since it was my first time dealing in a second hand bike, I did not really know what to inspect. I rode the bike for about 2-3 kilometres and loved it immediately! The owner was asking Rs. 95000 (he was the first owner and the bike had run about 53000 kms). After some negotiating he settled for 85000. The duke was mine!

Right after taking delivery,
Review: KTM Duke 200-d67045524bc8495e816cf5288050a2ab.jpg

Review: KTM Duke 200-a8f1460ea342430aafd4600e7088f157.jpg

The bike had quite a few issues that needed to be looked into...
  1. The instrument cluster was dead. Initially I got it repaired at a local auto electricals repair guy near Lalbhag. However, the work was shoddy and I had to replace the whole instrument cluster with a new one. Cost - Rs. 8613
  2. Fuel tank had a minor crack that I noticed on fuelling up. Replaced with a new one. Cost - Rs. 2426
  3. Leg guard and mirrors - Got new ones
  4. Rider's seat had a tear. Got both rider and pillion seat covers replaced
  5. Rear tyre was bald. Front had a bit of life left. Got a new set of MRF Revz C1. Cost - Rs. 7500(approx)
  6. Clutch plates - Replaced
  7. Front footpegs - The rubber grips had worn off. Got new ones
  8. Misc - One indicator was broken (as can be seen in the 1st image), replaced it. Changed all fluids, throttle and clutch cables, spark plug, brake pads, etc.
PS - I don't remember how much I paid for all the repairs. I've mentioned the cost of items that I do remember.

My Duke after a thorough service. I replaced the taller windscreen with the stock one as I like the naked streetfighter look,
Review: KTM Duke 200-3d0b3334b3ee4556bbcd27d890e97e4d.jpg

Looks - Coming to the design and styling, it was a radical design at the time it was launched (i guess it still is). Combined with the bright orange colour scheme and the exposed trellis frame (though not as eye catching as the orange frame of the 390), it grabs a lot of attention on the road! Initially I wasn't a fan of its looks, but it kinda grew on me.

Performance - KTMs are known for their insane performance and the Duke 200 is no different. It makes about 25bhp and 20Nm torque. With a kerb weight of 143 kilos, it is literally a pocket rocket and pulls like crazy! No wonder it was called the "accident bike". Being so light also makes it very flickable. Changing direction is something that the Duke does with ease.

Mileage - The tank can hold about 11 litres of fuel, with 2.5 litres in reserve. City riding gets me around 25-28kmpl and on the highways I get 33-35kmpl.

Here are some pictures of my Duke 200,
Review: KTM Duke 200-6f3d92bbf0fb418ab01a27aa142b342a_1_201_a.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-7c6784aa9078455696f3d28780e5b390_1_201_a.jpeg
Took the tank stickers off,
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_6724.jpeg
Cut off that big tail. Looks much better now,
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7320.jpeg

It has been more than a year now, living with the pocket rocket. I was using it to commute to office till March 2023, after which I shifted back to my hometown Madikeri since I'd completed my internship. Now the duke mainly attacks twisties on weekends, with an occasional long ride to Bangalore/ Mysore.

Things that I like about the Duke:
  • Revv happy engine - Comes to life one you cross 7000rpm
  • Agility - The bike is nimble and very easy to change directions quickly
  • Classic bs3 KTM exhaust note!
  • Riding posture - Neither too committed like sportbikes nor too relaxed like cruisers
  • Suspension - Quite stiff and made for sporty riding.
Things that I don't like:
  • Heat - The bike can run hot in traffic. You'll feel it on your legs
  • Brakes - Feels spongy and the initial bite is not that great
  • Seat - Very hard seat. Touring not recommended on stock seats. Pillion seat is basically a joke!
  • Usability in the city - The bike feels choked under 3k rpm. Combined with the heat, it's really a pain to ride it in city traffic
It also vibrates a lot. Being a high compression single cylinder you can't really expect refinement. But I'm okay with it. I feel the vibration adds character to the machine

For someone upgrading from a 100-150cc commuter motorcycle, you cannot treat the KTMs like you used to treat your commuters. It demands you to pamper it and when you don't it throws tantrums. Parts wear out sooner and service will get expensive if you're ignorant about the bike. Many people say that the engine will only last 30-40k kms until is has to be rebuilt but that's not true. I've heard that some people have clocked as much as 2.5L kms without a rebuild (my bike has done about 58000kms till date on stock engine).

All the negatives aside, the Duke makes my heart race every time I open throttle and there's a huge grin inside the helmet. For that feeling, it's all worth it!

Cheers,
SVS

Some more pics,
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7717.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7713.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7709.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7626.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Review: KTM Duke 200-img_7806.jpeg  

SVS_23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 22:49   #41
BHPian

Used market seems to be on fire. I had sold my 2012 MY duke 200 for 46k bucks in 2017.
it had 40k on the odometer and was in very good nick.
doga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 02:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS_23 View Post
The owner was asking Rs. 95000 (he was the first owner and the bike had run about 53000 kms). After some negotiating he settled for 85000. The duke was mine!
Congratulations!! Sorry for being a spoilsport but this is atrocious pricing IMHO. 10 year old with 53k on the odo, that too a Duke 200 should not cost more than 60k. Also, for that kind of price, did you explore other options?
RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 07:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Congratulations!! Sorry for being a spoilsport but this is atrocious pricing IMHO. 10 year old with 53k on the odo, that too a Duke 200 should not cost more than 60k. Also, for that kind of price, did you explore other options?
Thank you! I agree that I overpaid for the Duke. In my excitement on getting a bike, I overlooked many things, including value for money factor. Also I wasn’t patient, I went for the first bike that I saw. The consequence of this irrational decision was a big fat bill from the service centre

Initially I’d seen a couple of bs3 duke 390s asking 90k-1.2L. So I wanted a Duke 390. But by the time I started to look for a bike seriously, I couldn’t find any, hence I settled for a 200 instead. Also, due to the faulty instrument cluster, I didn’t get the exact odo reading and the previous owner told me that the bike had run around 40k kms. It was only after connecting the obd scanner at the service centre that I got to know that the bike had run 55k. By that time it was too late, the deal had been done.

Cheers,
SVS
SVS_23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 19:00   #44

Update on the Duke,
I had been getting “low oil pressure” message on the dash for about 1000kms now. I had been putting off taking it to an ASC for a while since the oil level was okay, there was no white smoke from the exhaust nor any oil leaks. My guess was that the oil pressure sensor was shot (this was the diagnosis at an FNG also).

Review: KTM Duke 200-694f48d46b0b4cb78b65913e504c4715.jpg

Two weeks ago I had gone to Bangalore and decided to get the Duke serviced. Fellow bhpian @VijayAnand1 had suggested BTM Layout and Banashankari service centre. But I decided to try out Sarjapur Road service centre as it was the nearest to where I lived (basically it is also a branch of Amba KTM, same as BTM Layout).

Things that needed attention,
  • Chain sprocket needed to be replaced
  • “Low oil pressure” needed diagnosis
  • General checkup and oil change

Upon initial inspection, the technician told me that coolant level has dropped, so this might be a case of coolant mixing with engine oil (although oil looked okay from the oil window), which could cause blockage in oil jets and oil couldn't circulate properly, hence the low oil pressure warning. He told me that he’ll check the water pump oil seal for damage. If that was intact then he’d have to dismantle the engine and look for damages in the gaskets, for which I was quoted Rs.13000. Water pump assembly was relatively new (replaced when I bought the bike). So worst case scenario, I end up with an engine overhaul and my pocket gets lighter by 13k. The other repairs and maintenance were estimated to 10k, totalling to 23-24k in approximate. I told the technician to go ahead with the repairs. It would be at least 3-4 days till I get my Duke back.

After 2 days I got a call from the ASC, informing me that upon draining, they found coolant mixing with the engine oil. However, the water pump was intact. They would now proceed to dismantle the engine to check for worn out gaskets. Alas, a minor electrical issue turns out to be a catastrophic affair needing an engine overhaul . I decided to go ahead with the repairs.

A couple of days later, I called up the technician for updates and got to know that the 3rd and 4th gear drive had broken. A piece of the locking thread had got cut and the gear had to be replaced. I could've used the same part, as most of the threads were intact and it was only one thread that had got cut, but I didn't want to take that chance and told the technician to replace the 3rd 4th gear drive. But the part was not in stock anywhere in Bangalore and I was told that it takes 10-15 days for it to arrive once the order was placed. But as luck would have it, one of the ASCs had placed an order for the same part and these guys were able to get hold of it!

After another 3-4 days, I was informed that my bike was ready. I went immediately to collect it. Everything looked perfect upon inspection. On taking it for a short spin, I found the clutch to be a bit heavy. Also the steering was stiffer. The technician told me that the clutch felt heavy since it was taken apart and put back. The cone set had been tightened, thus stiffer handling. Satisfied with the service (for the time being that is!), I paid the bill and returned home. The technician and the service manager were very friendly and told me to return if there were any issues. I was advised to ride gently for a 1000 kilometres and get the oil changed post that.

Coming to the work that was done on my bike,
  • General checkup and oil change
  • Engine overhaul and replacement of all internal gaskets
  • Replacement of 3rd 4th gear drive
  • Radiator flush and coolant change
  • Water pump seal replacement
  • Tyre hugger installed
  • Valve lapping
  • Front and rear brake fluid replacement and bleeding
  • Chain sprocket replacement
  • Rear wheel hub cushions replacement
  • Oil pressure and coolant temperature sensors replacement
  • Spark plug replacement
  • Throttle body cleaning

All these came out to Rs.23987/- which was within the estimate provided. Attaching a copy of the bill,
Review: KTM Duke 200-bill_1.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-bill_2.jpeg
Review: KTM Duke 200-bill_3.jpeg

After riding for about 5-10kms, I noticed a ticking sound from my engine. Upon inquiring the technician, he told me that it is common after adjusting valve clearance and that it is not something to worry about. With his assurance, I rode back home to Madikeri the next day. After doing a bit of research online and consulting some friends, I'm starting to worry that valve clearances haven't been adjusted properly. So I called up the service manager today and told him the issue. He is asking me to get the bike to the ASC to check it once again. But it is not practical for me to travel to Bangalore again, so I've postponed it until my next visit to the city. Manager was also very understanding and told me to bring the bike in whenever I'm in the city.

Here's a video of the ticking noise,

I have mixed feelings about the valve noise right now, not sure how to proceed...

Cheers,
SVS
Old 30th May 2024, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS_23 View Post

I have mixed feelings about the valve noise right now, not sure how to proceed...

Cheers,
SVS
This is what I dont like with these ASCs. They had ample time to sort out these issues. After the overhaul, they would have definitely run the engine at idle for good amount of time.

My Duke had a similar rebuild like yours at 23000kms. While returning the bike, the had forgotten to tighten the RH casing. All the screws. Within 1000 kms, oil had started leaking. But the overall job was good. The coolant dropping stopped.

Recent time, I had specifically asked them to replace the fork seals as they were last replaced before 15000 kms and I had a gut feeling that it might fail anytime. Again, they said they replaced the fork oil (the next day i found it was only topped up) and the Service advisor assured all good. I started my 5 day travel the next day only for the seal to go burst in the first 150 kms. I call them up and they start blaming each other. I had to spend 3 hrs in another service centre on the way to fix it up.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed