Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 12:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: KTM Duke 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As a KTM owner, I'd like to answer your query here.

The 6th gear is meant for highway cruising. It's the only tall gear on the Duke brothers, and needs pretty high figures on the console for you to shift from 5th to 6th. From what I reckon, the overall characteristic of the bike changes in the 6th gear. It simply becomes more calm and sedate. It's only meant for highway cruising where you don't need to downshift for many kilometres to come, although you might have to use 5th more often to overtake.
Thanks for the reply barcalad. One more question - Is the short & stubby gearshift going to destroy formal leather shoes in a matter of weeks? I ask because I need the bike for my daily commute to work & back and the thought of buying a new left shoe every month doesn't really appeal to me....
Old 10th April 2015, 13:16   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the D200, ride safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Attachment 1350602
the underbelly exhaust
Is the engine low on oil or was the engine running while you took the pic
Old 10th April 2015, 13:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Is the engine low on oil or was the engine running while you took the pic
The bike clearly is on side stand.
Old 10th April 2015, 15:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMachine View Post
Thanks for the reply barcalad. One more question - Is the short & stubby gearshift going to destroy formal leather shoes in a matter of weeks? I ask because I need the bike for my daily commute to work & back and the thought of buying a new left shoe every month doesn't really appeal to me....
Would butt in and answer about shoes . My formal shoes (Always Hush Puppies) have lasted around 3 years each with my R15. All shifting with top and bottom of the toe. And soaked in the ankle deep water, mud, etc etc etc
Old 10th April 2015, 19:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I installed the gear sock on mine a few months back. Since then, my formal shoes shine throughout the day. Even my casual shoes remain clean.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 22:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
As a KTM owner, I'd like to answer your query here.

The 6th gear is meant for highway cruising. It's the only tall gear on the Duke brothers, and needs pretty high figures on the console for you to shift from 5th to 6th. From what I reckon, the overall characteristic of the bike changes in the 6th gear. It simply becomes more calm and sedate. It's only meant for highway cruising where you don't need to downshift for many kilometres to come, although you might have to use 5th more often to overtake.
Quote:
I installed the gear sock on mine a few months back. Since then, my formal shoes shine throughout the day. Even my casual shoes remain clean.
Sorry for not replying earlier. I was doing 24 hours duty shift last night, and had no time to come online. The 6th gear is tall, but pick up is still good. You don't need to downshift to 5th even when approaching corners. There are times when I wish for the 7th and 8th gears, because the pick up is still so strong.

As far as shoes is concerned, since I am a newbie biker, I know my shoes are getting older much faster than when I drive a car. But then, why wear only one pair of shoes for a whole year when you can ride a Rs. 1.5 lakhs bike? You should be well off enough to buy a new pair each week?
Old 10th April 2015, 22:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The bike clearly is on side stand.
Yes, the bike is on a side stand, that's why the engine oil level appears low.
Old 11th April 2015, 11:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should be well off enough to buy a new pair each week?
Errr that's 8-10K a month on shoes. Medicine must be paying a whole lot better now than in my time doc.
Old 11th April 2015, 11:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Errr that's 8-10K a month on shoes. Medicine must be paying a whole lot better now than in my time doc.
Only if the time you had spent doctoring Bullet was utilised on mending patients. Well he is primarily a doctor than a motorcyclist. In your case, isn't it the other way round?

Last edited by Piyadassi : 11th April 2015 at 11:58.
Piyadassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Only if the time you had spent doctoring Bullet was utilised on mending patients. Well he is primarily a doctor than a motorcyclist. In your case, isn't it the other way round?
No man, sadly not. I don't mend patients anymore. Now I make the medicines that keeps them from needing mending.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Cool idea of installing a gear sock, sometimes we fail to see simple solutions. Although I don't change my shoes as often, but your point was well taken, for eg: well polished formal shoes or well groomed casual shoes, get gear marks instantly and it is an embarrassment sometimes. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but I really was happy, getting to know about gear sock. Will get these for my bikes ASAP.
Old 11th April 2015, 15:29   #27
BHPian

Thank you docmoya, sojogator and barcalad. Much appreciated!
Old 11th April 2015, 16:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Cool idea of installing a gear sock, sometimes we fail to see simple solutions. Although I don't change my shoes as often, but your point was well taken, for eg: well polished formal shoes or well groomed casual shoes, get gear marks instantly and it is an embarrassment sometimes. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but I really was happy, getting to know about gear sock. Will get these for my bikes ASAP.
Indeed. Beware, though. The ones which are available online are massively overpriced. The similar ones cost almost 50% cheaper when purchased physically from the vendor.

If you wish, I can purchase the socks and courier them to you. That'll be way more economical.

Quote:
You don't need to downshift to 5th even when approaching corners.
I'd still strongly advise you to downshift while approaching corners. Stalling/Locking your wheel is the last thing you'd want to happen in the middle of the road with opposite traffic that isn't quite visible to you.

Last edited by barcalad : 11th April 2015 at 16:45.
Old 11th April 2015, 19:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I was just joking. I just wanted to maintain 'looking gentlemanly' will be the last thing on your mind when you ride a bike like the KTM Duke 200.

Quote:
Great idea there. I never heard of this before. I will also look out for it and install it if I happen to find out where they sell.

Quote:
I'd still strongly advise you to downshift while approaching corners. Stalling/Locking your wheel is the last thing you'd want to happen in the middle of the road with opposite traffic that isn't quite visible to you.
I will keep that in mind. But the bike still pull very strongly even in the 6th gear.

Quote:
Thank you docmoya, sojogator and barcalad. Much appreciated!
No problem. It feels great if my ownership thread is of some help to you in deciding which bike you are going to buy. Do keep us informed when you buy one.
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just joking. I just wanted to maintain 'looking gentlemanly' will be the last thing on your mind when you ride a bike like the KTM Duke 200.
I was joking too buddy. Get the gear sock. It should definitely help.

Quote:
I will keep that in mind. But the bike still pull very strongly even in the 6th gear.
It does. And it actually redlines even in its top gear. The 390 does not do that. It all depends on the kind of corner and how much momentum you take into it, but yes, blipping and downshifting does help you get out of it much better, with a much meatier part of the powerband.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks