Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Removing rust from chrome-plated parts

Finally got my hands on Collinite 845, 850. Works really well. Tried it on my month old Continental GT. Results here.
Old 24th May 2015, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Inexpensive way of removing rust stains from chrome is using a bottle of coke. I recently saw a video on youtube.
Coke has some serious stuff in it but do not know if this is true or a prank.
If you have some rust stains to remove try it and post the results for all. Can't harm to try.
Old 24th May 2015, 14:54   #18
BHPian

Light layers of rust can be simply removed by scrubbing with steel wool. I use it myself on the parts that get a light coating of rust like some nuts ,chrome mirrors and rims.
Old 24th May 2015, 17:01   #19
BHPian

I used to live in a city with very high humidity levels and this was a daily challenge.

I have every detailing & polishing chemical & tool imaginable in my garage. But when it comes to lightly oxidised rust specks removal from chrome, nothing is simpler and effective than a combo of the items already mentioned in this thread - Diet Coke and aluminium foil from the kitchen.

For removing heavy oxidation cleanly, I recommend using any application specific chemical. Most such methods involve soaking the object for hours or electrolysis of some kind. Here's one such product:
Name:  productrust.png
Views: 1671
Size:  99.5 KB
Old 25th June 2015, 16:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Inexpensive way of removing rust stains from chrome is using a bottle of coke. I recently saw a video on Youtube.
If you have some rust stains to remove try it and post the results for all. Can't harm to try.
Coke does work, it contains mild phosphoric acid, something hard to get off the shelf now with new government rules (since 2014, in light of so many unsavory acid-attacks).

Citric acid is still available AFAIK in lab/school supply shops in India and also works, though as mentioned in the original post parts might have to be soaked.

Did a little work with each of these chemicals last year and found them both effective.

-Eric
Old 25th June 2015, 18:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Recently I removed rust spots from my bicycle rims by using the steel coil bundles that we use in the kitchen to scrub utensils. Worked like a charm (along with a damp soapy cloth and a toothbrush for around the spoke nipple finessing) and I have glistening like new rims now.
Old 25th June 2015, 18:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

I did a mini-tiny restoration project on a friend/neighbors 15 year old yamaha YBX. It was a sentimental bike and he didnt want to throw it away in junk. (1st salary kind of purchase, though earns about 5 such bikes a month now )

I took the smallest possible EMERY paper/sheet. IIRC it was 1200 or 1000 Grit abrasive paper.

Tore up small pieces that would wrap up around your index finger, dipped it in plain water, and just did a alladin-ka-rub-a-dub and after 3-5 strokes all the rust on chrome vanished!!

BEWARE - this will cause long term damage to the metal unless looked after frequently, because by virture, the abrasive would have taken off a micron worth of top coat chrome (+ rust) exposing it to elements. So use only on places which are cheap and easy to fix and buy, but looking for a quick fix.

Its been few months and the bike still looks good.
Old 25th June 2015, 20:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Right you are.

Actually, three different metals are applied during a really good chrome plating.

Chrome and nickle are't that good at adhering to steel but copper is so a very thin copper plating is first applied.
Nickel easily attaches to copper so it is applied next.
Nickel is easily electroplated with chromium so that is applied last.

I don't know what process is used by the various companies in India who apply chrome plating but I get the distinct feeling that the copper and/or the nickel under-plates are sometimes omitted, probably in the interest of saving money.

This sort of thing is what leads to the small rust spots that the aluminum foil process described above will treat.
Process used by all companies are same except for adherence and some basic design flaws. Proper chrome covered surface does not rust if the fixturing and the bath are done correctly. As you said small deviations in a bid to save money will result in poor adhesion weaker resistance to rust.

There are ways to remove rust, but when the chrome surface is damaged it needs plating again or paint the surface to your liking. Careful maintenance will only slower the deterioration. It doesnt stop.

I havent tried the aluminum foil trick yet on my bird. Will try and come back. Thanks for the simple idea.
Old 26th June 2015, 11:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
BEWARE - this will cause long term damage to the metal unless looked after frequently, because by virture, the abrasive would have taken off a micron worth of top coat chrome (+ rust) exposing it to elements. So use only on places which are cheap and easy to fix and buy, but looking for a quick fix.
Your method was the same as mine, albeit with different materials.

There is really no other way of removing rust. Be it it surface or deep seated. It has to be removed and the lower raw naked metal will be exposed. But preventive maintenance should take care of that.

The alternative is to leave the rust in place, and it will eat deeper and deeper into the metal. Like cancer.
Old 5th July 2015, 11:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Inexpensive way of removing rust stains from chrome is using a bottle of coke. I recently saw a video on Youtube.
I was about to make a thread for this DIY. A quick browse through the suggested threads saved me from a facepalm!

I had learnt about this method sometime back from a visiting friend. I tried it on my rear chrome garnish on my cousin's Fiesta Classic. It had stained due to tar, rust and mud and no one really bothers to clean it even in detailing shops. I was really satisfied and amazed with the outcome and can vouch that it really works. I'll upload some pics I'd taken during the process.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed