Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 20:14   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I would love to join if you are planning to go there in the first half of the day as I have some other commitments during the second half.

But do they have a test ride bike? I had called up Dhone Kasarwadi on 16th but the test ride bike was yet to arrive.
The TD bikes have arrived. My colleague went and took one today. Still I would suggest to call and proceed.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 20:29   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
the stability was amazing. Straights, bends, inclines.
Hi,
Apparently it is easy to pop a wheelie on this bike. My question with stability was with regard to that: esp pillion + incline. ( the rider will throw his weight forward, but pillion riders sometimes do crazy things!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th March 2016, 20:55   #813

Hey Guys. Me along with some friends have been interested in buying the Himalayan. We are all based out of Delhi and currently can't take out time to go out to NCR regions like Noida/Gurgaon to test ride the bike. After going through this detailed thread I still have few questions. One of them being when will the Himalayan is going to launch in Delhi for real, I read that its going to take one full year and will be launching in April 2017. If someone has confirmed dates please share. My second question is in regards to the clatter that many people have reported about. I am big fan of RE bikes and somewhere I read that clatter is not a big deal and RE lovers will not find that to be a deal breaker.
Old 18th March 2016, 20:56   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Apparently it is easy to pop a wheelie on this bike. My question with stability was with regard to that: esp pillion + incline. ( the rider will throw his weight forward, but pillion riders sometimes do crazy things!)
I didn't find it wheelie happy, it's pretty smooth. Unless you hold the clutch in, rev like mad, and then slip it, then probably it'll go up in 1st and 2nd. The front end never felt light to me, the weight distribution is good. Since the bike is pretty bare-bones, the rear has nothing We went over a few inclines, I was pillion, never felt like it'll go over.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:02   #815
BHPian

It's on sale finally at about Rs. 175000 in Chennai.

That clatter talk is making me rethink though, any idea on deliveries?
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:10   #816
Senior - BHPian

@RZ
Thanks.
Another question: how heavy is the clutch? If we take a RE TBTS, or a CBR250R as a 1, and say a D390 as say a 8.

Regarding engine clatter, RE is showing linear progression. My first impression of the UCE was 'what a mechanical cacophony'. Got used to it by now, but the Himalaya engine seems to have topped that. Is it really that bad, or are people just venting?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th March 2016, 21:24   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Another question: how heavy is the clutch? If we take a RE TBTS, or a CBR250R as a 1, and say a D390 as say a 8.

Regarding engine clatter, RE is showing linear progression. My first impression of the UCE was 'what a mechanical cacophony'. Got used to it by now, but the Himalaya engine seems to have topped that. Is it really that bad, or are people just venting?
The clutch on the Himalayan would be a 4 on that scale. The test ride bike had the clutch that engaged 1mm from the handlebar, so that felt rather easy. The display bike had it setup at the far end away from the bar, and it was a bit hard. Nothing as compared to my 390 though, not even close.

The Himalayan sounds horrible, both from the exhaust and the rattles around the front. It's a very feminine, high-pitched noise, like a woman is shouting at you.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:50   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
The clutch on the Himalayan would be a 4 on that scale. The test ride bike had the clutch that engaged 1mm from the handlebar, so that felt rather easy. The display bike had it setup at the far end away from the bar, and it was a bit hard. Nothing as compared to my 390 though, not even close.
Thanks. So adjustable levers necessary?

Quote:
The Himalayan sounds horrible, ... like a woman is shouting at you.
And to think one hops onto a bike to get away from it all ...

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:59   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. So adjustable levers necessary?

And to think one hops onto a bike to get away from it all ...

Regards
Sutripta
Haha! No, adjustable levers not required, even though the clutch is a bit hard, the 1st and 2nd gears are pretty awesome, so no need to ride the clutch like it's done with the 390.
Old 18th March 2016, 23:59   #820
Senior - BHPian

I did not see any difference in the pics in regards to the exhausts. Seems like the dB killers removed from the stock exhausts during the Shimla and other testing? I hope I'm not wrong in this case, because then it would mean saving cost on buying another exhaust for the sound.
Old 19th March 2016, 00:14   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I did not see any difference in the pics in regards to the exhausts. Seems like the dB killers removed from the stock exhausts during the Shimla and other testing? I hope I'm not wrong in this case, because then it would mean saving cost on buying another exhaust for the sound.
This is what the aftermarket exhaust sounds like.

There's no difference in appearance apart from the the matte black wrap under the heat shield on the exhaust. And it does sound better.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 00:58   #822
Senior - BHPian

Autocar and Overdrive reviews out. Both Shumi and KS mention about needing more power but praise the bike overall.

Last edited by tharian : 19th March 2016 at 00:59.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 09:01   #823
BHPian

A new video by Royal Enfield on the Himalayan.

Had a chance to sit on the bike a few weeks back and it felt real good. Not sure how it performs though. And two things which must have been there are higher power and an optional ABS atleast (on paper analysis!). Anyways enjoy the brilliant video and get inspired for your next trip.

deevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 10:51   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
A new video by Royal Enfield on the Himalayan.
I've been watching this ad on loop since yesterday. I liked the bike, but wasn't convinced enough to buy it after riding it. This ad is brainwashing me to reconsider .

I think this is the first Royal Enfield product ad in 6-7 years, not including the 'handcrafted in Chennai' film. Just goes to show how important the Himalayan is to Royal Enfield.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2016 at 10:15. Reason: Removed Video link from quoted post.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 14:24   #825

Himalayan is something I was waiting from quite some time. I have never liked any of the RE bikes. I did the entire Ladakh circuit on a 100 CC bike, with luggage and a pillion successfully, and always wanted to own a bike which is truly capable of being a daily commuter as well as king of the trails.

Finally, managed the Himalayan test ride today @ Go Green Motors, Hyderabad.

Dealership - Since the regional RE person was in the showroom, he shared many interesting details. They have received around 1400 bookings so far, so waiting period now is around 3 months ( deliveries in June ). Also, he quoted that ARAI mileage of the bike is 40 KMPL, so full tank range is anywhere between 500-600 km. On road price is 177000. Nobody was aware if the price is going to be upped in next few months. I liked the white more than the black, though both were looking superb.

Test ride - A black one was available for test ride. Due to the hot Hyd weather, the tank was too hot. My father joined me as a pillion.

Now, it was my first RE ride which left me so impressed. Posture and the ride comfort was superb. I felt that the engine was responsive, and gear shifts were real smooth. Bike was able to absorb all potholes and speedbrakers with ease. Despite its height, weight and size, it behaved nimbly on road. Liked the horn as well.

Only issue i felt is, engine was super hot. Bike was stationery 30 min from the time I reached the showroom, and then there were 2 test rides, a total of 7-8 KMs before me, May be because of Hyd weather.

My opinion - For the price, it is simply unresistable..I met a guy who was there to check status of his TB350 delivery contemplating to go with the H. I will wait for next 3-4 months, to see some more user reviews and then buy the white H.

Another major takeaway was, now I believe on REs ability to deliver some real good, new generation motorcycles.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks