Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 23:50   #331
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Not sure if somebody posted this before. The sound of Himalayan looks to be heard till Himalayas
21Archer84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 00:07   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
The sound of Himalayan looks to be heard till Himalayas.
Not sure about the Himalayas, but it certainly doesn't seem to be heard right by my ears.
If you observe carefully, the thump is a complete mismatch with respect to the speed from the 18h second of the video.

To whoever made this video, I'd advise him to enhance his video making skills.
barcalad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 03:56   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

That video is downright humorous!

The dude on the motorcycle is cruising down the road at a nice, easy clip and the sound effects are waiting at a traffic light, reving the engine a bit to keep it from dying.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:03   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
That video is downright humorous!

The dude on the motorcycle is cruising down the road at a nice, easy clip and the sound effects are waiting at a traffic light, reving the engine a bit to keep it from dying.
More concerning, I notice both bikes "settling" at the rear end. Unladen. Solo saddle.

If that's the spring rate of the rear mono shock, the way Bulleteers like to pack for Ladakh (shifting residence), the rear end will be completely bottomed out.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:26   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
If you observe carefully, the thump is a complete mismatch with respect to the speed from the 18h second of the video.
Not only is the thump a mismatch, we don't hear any other noise other than the so called thump. Not even the auto rickshaws' and other two wheelers that are close by. Even when the bike has pulled away the noise level doesn't diminish...
Old 19th October 2015, 21:38   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Not sure if somebody posted this before. The sound of Himalayan looks to be heard till Himalayas
That is NOT the pipe that was on the bikes I saw tested up here - which were highly upswept with a matte black finish. While they (meaning the pack of five or six that came past our place a a few months back) sounded pleasingly healthy, they were not loud.

-Eric
Old 19th October 2015, 22:02   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
More concerning, I notice both bikes "settling" at the rear end. Unladen. Solo saddle.

If that's the spring rate of the rear mono shock, the way Bulleteers like to pack for Ladakh (shifting residence), the rear end will be completely bottomed out.
It is normal for the suspensions of all dual-sport bikes to "settle", and it is possible to load them very heavily (think world-tour) without issues, since they have plenty of travel and use progressive-rate springs (and sometimes progressive damping, too) which harden more as they compress. The first few inches are generally kept very soft in order to keep the ride quality plush (and the tyre in better contact with available grip surfaces) over smaller ripples/bumps/depressions, etc.

Set up right, it really works beautifully, and until one has experienced it (I'm thinking of my experiences on DR/KLR/XL's), it is difficult to imagine how great it is to be able to run at speed down a road with more potholes than paving (or to jump up over high concrete curbs, etc), and to literally hardly feel a thing!!! I don't expect the Himalayan's suspension to be quite that capable, but I don't think the bit of "settling" observed (technical term here is "sag") is anything to worry about - in fact, it makes me hopeful!

Having said that, I'll concede that I see ridiculously overloaded Bullets up here with some regularity...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 19th October 2015 at 22:05.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 09:54   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
While they (meaning the pack of five or six that came past our place a a few months back) sounded pleasingly healthy, they were not loud.

-Eric
The sound in the video has been added/edited and not the thump from the bike, which was even mentioned by fellow bhpians after i dumbly posted the video.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:37   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
It is normal for the suspensions of all dual-sport bikes to "settle", and it is possible to load them very heavily (think world-tour) without issues, since they have plenty of travel and use progressive-rate springs (and sometimes progressive damping, too) which harden more as they compress. The first few inches are generally kept very soft in order to keep the ride quality plush (and the tyre in better contact with available grip surfaces) over smaller ripples/bumps/depressions, etc.

Set up right, it really works beautifully, and until one has experienced it (I'm thinking of my experiences on DR/KLR/XL's), it is difficult to imagine how great it is to be able to run at speed down a road with more potholes than paving (or to jump up over high concrete curbs, etc), and to literally hardly feel a thing!!! I don't expect the Himalayan's suspension to be quite that capable, but I don't think the bit of "settling" observed (technical term here is "sag") is anything to worry about - in fact, it makes me hopeful!

Having said that, I'll concede that I see ridiculously overloaded Bullets up here with some regularity...

-Eric
Hi Eric, yup I know about progressive springs.

And I still think the rear ends are sagging a lot more than necessary for a adventure bike being ridden solo.

Let's wait for the bike to come out and see.

Cheers, Doc
Old 28th October 2015, 20:55   #340
BHPian

Any news or updates on the Himalayan?
The other day visited a Mumbai showroom and inquired with the sales person present, According to him the Himalayan may not be launched in 2015.
This was quiet disheartening to hear. Don't even know if that's the scenario as all indications were pointing towards a launch during the festive season. Now that the season is almost here, the news, sightings and absence of any buzz unfortunately points towards the sales person's version being true.
However I hope I am proved wrong here.
cheers!
Old 29th October 2015, 08:54   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
According to him the Himalayan may not be launched in 2015.

However I hope I am proved wrong here.
cheers!

I was hoping to ask the same question as you. No updates or any spy shots of the bike for few weeks now. So,not sure if we can expect to see the bike during the RiderMania next month,as there were rumours of displaying the bike during the event.

Fingers Crossed.
Old 29th October 2015, 10:24   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
The other day visited a Mumbai showroom and inquired with the sales person present, According to him the Himalayan may not be launched in 2015.
Knowing RE they launch their products real slow and steady. They are an old school company which believes in the adage, "Slow and steady wins the race."

Nevertheless I am sure they are carrying out some extensive testing on it, maybe they have started feeling the heat from the competition (Mahindra Mojo is one example I can think of). Since this is touted to be an adventure tourer unlike any other motorcycle they have launched so far, it must be taking time for them to iron out the chinks in the armour. I mean the engine is a OHC oil cooled unit, mono suspension, etc. must be too much for RE to handle. I will be glad if they launch it with accessories for touring like hardbox panniers, mounting points, 12V charging socket, tubeless tyres, etc.
Old 1st November 2015, 17:57   #343

I went to the Royal Enfield showroom at Saket yesterday, inquiring about delivery times and onroad price for the continental gt and classic chrome. However during the conversation the sales guy asked me that why don't I wait till the end of November for the launch of Himalayan and then make my decision.

So I asked him if he is sure about this news and he said yes as enfield is not participating in the expo and wants to get the bike out as soon as possible so that the sales and delivery can start from January, similar to the way they launched the GT. And they were informed about this by the company itself.

Lets wait and watch.
d1vine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:15   #344
BHPian

Pictures taken by my brother today in Coimbatore. Spotted near Pricol, who is supplying the instrument cluster. Notice 2 of them are there.

As per the rider, the motor is 410cc and churns out 27 bhp.

Have cropped the spare tank and logo from the main picture. Must admit the spare tank has a neat touch of holding / locking it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-img_20151103_130856.jpg  

Attached Images

RAINMAKER is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:29   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have cropped the spare tank and logo from the main picture. Must admit the spare tank has a neat touch of holding / locking it in place.
Also noticed the frame for mounting panniers on the other bike which is half visible. Would be nice if RE supplies them with a single Key for all.
(Not mandatory, as their ignition switch is not very reliable and would have to be changed anyways after a couple of monsoons)
Good going though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks