Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 12:09   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Make it count, RE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
there are two side by side, close to the edge of the plate on both sides, and prone to water splash from the moving wheel.

Doc,

Would very strongly suggest you to start using the liquid electrical tape. They are a tad expensive but end of the day they are much reliable than doing local jugaads.

I use Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape. They also double ensure that there are no loose electrical connectors as well.

You will have all the more confidence to attack those water crossings and leave all your thoughts otherwise.

PS: Apologies to the mods for going off topic

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th August 2015 at 12:11.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 14:28   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,

Would very strongly suggest you to start using the liquid electrical tape. They are a tad expensive but end of the day they are much reliable than doing local jugaads.

I use Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape. They also double ensure that there are no loose electrical connectors as well.

You will have all the more confidence to attack those water crossings and leave all your thoughts otherwise.

PS: Apologies to the mods for going off topic
The coil connections are on top. Exposed. The HT cable has a black rubber cap which degrades with time. You do not get spares. Have to buy a new cable, plug cap set.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 14:43   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin, I like the idea of the Pepsi bottle. Could you please post a close up photo of the same? No issue of heat, bottle melting etc.? My mech and I have isolated the water crossing issues to exactly this reason, more so because I have two coils and hence instead of one of them in the center of the metal plate, there are two side by side, close to the edge of the plate on both sides, and prone to water splash from the moving wheel.
Although I have been using the 500ml soft drink bottle as a cover on the ignition coil of my Standard Bullet CI since the last 5 years and there have been nil issues whatsoever from nature's elements that includes heat, torrential rain and water splashing. That empty bottle has been serving me so well that it I haven't changed it till date. I will post the pics soon.

P.S. Mods is it possible to move these set of posts to Royal Enfield Queries thread.
Old 18th August 2015, 14:58   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The coil connections are on top. Exposed. The HT cable has a black rubber cap which degrades with time. You do not get spares. Have to buy a new cable, plug cap set.

Bro,

Suggest you to buy a small tin of liquid tape and apply it where ever you want to. This will for sure increase the reliability of your machine as well.

Why searching for new spares then? These liquid tapes are heavily used in the marine industry and to fight sea water. So the capabilities are like quite reliable.

PS: Mods can you please move these posts to the relevant threads?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 16:07   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro,

Suggest you to buy a small tin of liquid tape and apply it where ever you want to. This will for sure increase the reliability of your machine as well.

Why searching for new spares then? These liquid tapes are heavily used in the marine industry and to fight sea water. So the capabilities are like quite reliable.

PS: Mods can you please move these posts to the relevant threads?
Aaah I got it now. It sprays on and then congeals like a rubber insulative coating on the surface sprayed on?

Cool!
Old 18th August 2015, 17:31   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aaah I got it now. It sprays on and then congeals like a rubber insulative coating on the surface sprayed on?

Cool!

Yes Bro, since the applicative areas are small/minimal its better to apply it with a small paint brush (Whack the paint brush from a Primary kid's school bag ).

Once it dries up they are fantastic. Have attached a couple of photos for your easy understanding.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-images.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-secpowerswitch04.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:52   #232
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Yes that would be a tempting price. Considering the intended "Adventure" use of the bike it should have some amount of water proofing of the electrical connections unlike the other RE bikes. A simple solution could be to silicone coat and seal of the electrical stuff that one does not generally require to service. But yes even a blow fuse would be a headache then.
Old 18th August 2015, 22:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
The Royal Enfield Himalayan looks all set to be launched between 1.65 lakh and 1.85 lakh! Expected to launch in November 2015.

410cc / 28PS / 32 Nm

Source
Hope RE gets the kerb weight of this bike lower than the Continental GT, in proportion to the lower engine parameters and price.

Guess the ECU and other critical electrical stuff will be placed similar to the CGT. Under the driver's seat?Request one of the CGT owners to confirm.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

28 bhp?

Did I actually read that right?

28 bhp???????

We are into the 16th page of this Himalayan wonder, this ground breaking new 410 c engine, ground-up new bike, and I read 28 bhp?

Sigh.

This is going to be another in a long long line of Royal Enfields roaring to a 120-130 kmph top speed.

Feeling less and less like a Bullet than those before it.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:28   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
28 bhp?

Did I actually read that right?

28 bhp???????

We are into the 16th page of this Himalayan wonder, this ground breaking new 410 c engine, ground-up new bike, and I read 28 bhp?

Sigh.

This is going to be another in a long long line of Royal Enfields roaring to a 120-130 kmph top speed.

Feeling less and less like a Bullet than those before it.
Perhaps it may not be as bad as it looks (think of diesel engines).
Peak BHP number can be low because the engine may not be a high revving one. (Torque x rpm = bhp at particular rpm)

But you are right, this is no excuse if new R&D money has been spent.
The engine, in my opinion, should perform well at low rpm as well as at high rpm.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:01   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
28 bhp?

Bro,

Knowing at-least 2 cents about you, I very strongly recommend you to ignore RE for a good 20-30 years from now. You have far outgrown the bikes from its stables and your look out is for speed which RE Cannot deliver with their long stroke machines (irrespective of it being a push rod or a OHC).

Your future harps on when KTM will roll out their 690 or you decide to make the plunge into Benelli's products which at the moment gives you the best bang per buck.

And also i feel Himalaya is being slotted more of an adventure tourer bike and I do not think it needs BHP but more of a capability where it can take you places at ease with its Torque. Agreed with a OHC Engine Torque might suffer and I personally feel that if the new motor delivers a top end equivalent to that of TB 500(130 Kays) with better handling where you can attack those corners then they have won a major battle.

Power can be exploited if they make the engine & electricals competitive in today's gadgetry world.

PS: Do not take offense but knowing you, Himalaya is just not for you Chief.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:22   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Perhaps it may not be as bad as it looks (think of diesel engines).
Peak BHP number can be low because the engine may not be a high revving one. (Torque x rpm = bhp at particular rpm)
Torquey diesels have cubic capacity to rely on.

Here the capacity has been cut by near 20%.

And so has the torque.

If anything, this is going to be a higher than normal revving RE bike. 6000+ rpm or thereabouts. I doubt anything close to or over 7000 rpm.

Quote:
Bro,

Knowing at-least 2 cents about you, I very strongly recommend you to ignore RE for a good 20-30 years from now. You have far outgrown the bikes from its stables and your look out is for speed which RE Cannot deliver with their long stroke machines (irrespective of it being a push rod or a OHC).

Your future harps on when KTM will roll out their 690 or you decide to make the plunge into Benelli's products which at the moment gives you the best bang per buck.

And also i feel Himalaya is being slotted more of an adventure tourer bike and I do not think it needs BHP but more of a capability where it can take you places at ease with its Torque. Agreed with a OHC Engine Torque might suffer and I personally feel that if the new motor delivers a top end equivalent to that of TB 500(130 Kays) with better handling where you can attack those corners then they have won a major battle.

Power can be exploited if they make the engine & electricals competitive in today's gadgetry world.

PS: Do not take offense but knowing you, Himalaya is just not for you Chief.
I am done with RE for life bro.

But still, a completely new platform, completely new cc, stories floating all around about "angry" sounding motor, and I must admit I foolishly let my hopes get up.

A better chassis and suspension and electricals and reliability is not all one (old Bulleteer/loyalist) has been looking for from the end of the RE rainbow.

Sadly that pot of gold is never coming.

They will keep pottering around at 120-130 kmph well into their 10th engine iteration 50 years later.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:36   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here the capacity has been cut by near 20%.
I would consider this as a bump from the 350cc mill rather than a cut down from the 500cc mill. At the same time producing as much power as the current biggest mill in the lineup! I would say RE is heading in the right direction IF the rumoured specs are true.
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:50   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I would consider this as a bump from the 350cc mill rather than a cut down from the 500cc mill. At the same time producing as much power as the current biggest mill in the lineup! I would say RE is heading in the right direction IF the rumoured specs are true.
What is the bottom line to a rider?

Its not the size of the piston, but what you do with it.
Old 19th August 2015, 12:50   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The specs seems to be adequate for an Adventure Tourer RE is developing. Also the rumoured power bump is in the range of their current 500cc UCE engines with the rumoured 410cc engine. Also the rumour that its a OHC engine will give it a better top end minus vibrations.

Quote:

+1 to your thoughts ku69rd mate. I too am of the opinion that Adventure Tourers sweet spot is the torque they produce and how it can be used in bottom and mid range performance. Case in point many Adventure Tourers including litre class Inline 4/V4(Kawasaki Versys 1000, Honda Crosstourer, etc.) Inline 3(Triumph Tiger 800/1200, Yamaha FJ-09, Benelli TreK Amazonas, etc.) Parallel twin/Boxer twin/Vtwin/Ltwin(BMW R1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, KTM ADV 1290, Suzuki Vstrom 1000, etc.) produce lesser power than their otherwise sport siblings with if not same but similar engine. The key to an adventure tourer that every manufacturer has in common is the bottom and mid range power. Adventure tourers are not just about top speed and performance they are lot more than that. Case in point torque being one of the many factors you highlighted.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks