Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

Why not use a RX135 wiring harness if you're using a CDI system and RX135 switch gear? Its far better and play and play, very minimal cut and splice of wires.

My honest suggestion is to switch to a RX135 wiring harness. it will save you a lot of troubles going forward. The way i see it, you'll need to make a custom connector only for the Instrument cluster assy, even that once done will be pretty much bulletproof.
Old 16th February 2015, 17:40   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Why not use a RX135 wiring harness if you're using a CDI system and RX135 switch gear? Its far better and play and play, very minimal cut and splice of wires.

My honest suggestion is to switch to a RX135 wiring harness. it will save you a lot of troubles going forward. The way i see it, you'll need to make a custom connector only for the Instrument cluster assy, even that once done will be pretty much bulletproof.
Tell you honestly, I bought an original RD wiring harness and thought the 135 wiring has to be adopted. Agree the 135 wiring is plug and play but I bought the RD wiring at a premium

I have connected all except the engine. I have even figured out the yellow ones are charging coil and the Blue could be source or HT. I am really close and I don't want to call it quits now. I will connect the indicators today.

Pramod
Old 16th February 2015, 17:46   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Tell you honestly, I bought an original RD wiring harness and thought the 135 wiring has to be adopted. Agree the 135 wiring is plug and play but I bought the RD wiring at a premium
You can anyway sell it for a bit less premium then again take the final decision as best for you
Old 16th February 2015, 17:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
You can anyway sell it for a bit less premium then again take the final decision as best for you
Selling the RD wiring is not an option as of now, I have not spliced it from anywhere(yet) and I have run everything and all is working fine. just need to wire the engine bit, I know I am very close

If I was not so **al about doing it myself the bike would have been running by now.

Pramod
Old 16th February 2015, 19:39   #110
Senior - BHPian

Some new old stock rajdoot indicators

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1424095566.292276.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1424095596.856283.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1424095532.246936.jpg

Was waiting for it for sometime

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 15:46   #111
Senior - BHPian

The famous sidney Francis was here, he tried his level best, looks like a new cdi is needed, low on budget, need to wait till next month. This project is now officially shelved till next month.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 09:35   #112
Senior - BHPian

Had a discussion with Ron Chinnoy yesterday, I spoke to him that I needed one of his black box CDI. He told me it won't work on the bike without his 90/100 Kit, so I asked him to sell me one.

To that he asked me to save up and go for a complete build at RDD as they do not sell the 90/100 Kit to outsiders. He offered me help through the RD Dreams forum to get the bike running using the existing wiring and existing CDI(its from a hero puch/shogun) the magnet is also from a shogun.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-29055143_1_1000x700_tvssuzukishaolincdimagnetocoilbangalore.jpg

(Pic taken from the internet)

The magnet/ Coil setup has 4 wires coming out, 2 yellow from the big coil(changing coil I believe) and 2 blue wires coming out of the 3 smaller coils connected in series.

A better image

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-21791317_1_1000x700_suzukishogunshaolinsamuraisparesforsalejaipur.jpg

Pic of the Coils(last in the image)

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-ignition-coil-samples.jpg

Pics of the CDI(taken from the net)

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 6780
Size:  43.9 KB

There are other 2 options available. There is a CDI ket selling on OLX for 5k, its from a company in hubli, this kit comes with its own magneto and coils and 2 CDI's. I have to deposit 5k in his account and it will reach me in 2-3 days, he is claiming a performance boost of 10-20% over points, I don't believe him.

The third option is to go for a RX 135 kit which has been modified to work on a RD, at 6300 its not a bargain however it is available with a guy in Trivandrum, can go and personally pick up and can return it if it does not work, not sure of the money refund part but looks like the hassle is little less.

I will have to switch to a RX 135 wiring kit for installing the above kit, the rx 135 kit is plug and play and is in a territory I am more familiar with so wiring would not be an issue.

So I am calling out all gurus to help me here in deciding what needs to be done.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th February 2015 at 09:36.
Old 18th February 2015, 15:41   #113
BHPian

My 2 cents, please try to look out for a Ravi Nagesh kit, as some are still available, will work perfectly.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 16:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
My 2 cents, please try to look out for a Ravi Nagesh kit, as some are still available, will work perfectly.
Do you have any contacts? I tried everywhere, its difficult than finding a needle in a hay stack.

I am almost finalizing on the 135 convert kit, price wise its right, accountability wise the guy is a local so I know him.

Pramod
Old 18th February 2015, 16:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks Joe, do you know any electrician? I don't have a patient mind

Pramod
it was all a trial and error for me. me and my friend did that together. (ur story exactly reminds of me about 10years back ) i have just used the necessary connections for starting the bike and powering the headlamps. All the rest was closed so that further errors doesnt pop up. As u are going for a complete rebuild i guess u would like to function all electrical components right?
Im not much in link with any electricians or mechs in tvm, but where do u go for the engine rebuild?? Know any trusted humble mechs??
Old 18th February 2015, 16:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
Know any trusted humble mechs??
Actually there are none, the moment they hear RD they either see "$$" signs or see trouble. There are 3 guys who do RDs in trivandrum, 2 are major guys, Murugan mestri from Jagathy and Saji from Nanthancode, There is another guy called madhu from Craze motors, but the guy is less popular among the other two.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th February 2015 at 16:50.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:51   #117
BHPian

I agree with khodays.. If you want less drama with your build check out DAM from blr. PM me for more details.

Last edited by howler : 18th February 2015 at 17:01.
Old 19th February 2015, 16:58   #118
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Can someone post a Suzuki shogun wiring diagram? looked all over the internet and could not find one.

Pramod
Old 19th February 2015, 17:58   #119
BHPian

Trust me, things are going to get very complicated with the road you are taking. This is too much of a hassle. Things will fail and you'll be running from pillar to post in no time searching for shogan (etc) spares. Please re-think your approach. You do not what to ruin something you've built with so much love and care just because you were impatient and couldnt wait for a good ignition kit. Like others, i strongly recommend a good ignition and wiring kit.

Get in touch with Goutham Siyal in blore. He will be able to source both new and used parts. I asked him about the availability of Ravi Nagesh kits sometime last year and he said they are available.

I dont see what Ron's drama is all about. His work is overhyped but his CDI kit for the RD is fab and worth the money! Everything else is gas that you cant even burn and get energy out off.

Dont rush- Look around, take a deep breath and you'll find some good stuff!!

BTW, i hope you didnt pay too much for the RD wiring loom. Its just some 650 bucks or so.

Cheers!
james is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 18:20   #120
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you retain the old points system for firing up the engine for now? It is not difficult to integrate into the RD or RX wiring since it actually is a separate bit.

Then once you save up buy a unit from Ron, or someone else who is planning to sell. If you wait enough you will find one Use proper connectors, that will help you avoid doing the splicing and doing mix and match of wiring kits.

One thing i can tell you, a good CDI system makes a heck of difference to the bike and Rons kits are one of the best i have come across and most reliable, once set up right.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks