Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 10:28   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

Hit a small road block yesterday, My 2T pump started leaking oil and I have lost close to 1 litre of oil yesterday. The RD was standing in a pool of oil. Drained the remaining oil and filled the RX tank with oil. I have no idea where to get the oils seals from. looks like economy cycle sells them rebuild kits, looks like there is no cost for shipping to India, looks too good to be true.

Anybody has any experience ordering from them?

Pramod
Old 9th June 2015, 11:31   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hit a small road block yesterday, My 2T pump started leaking oil and I have lost close to 1 litre of oil yesterday. The RD was standing in a pool of oil. Drained the remaining oil and filled the RX tank with oil. I have no idea where to get the oils seals from. looks like economy cycle sells them rebuild kits, looks like there is no cost for shipping to India, looks too good to be true.

Pramod
I think, other than the housing or mounting layout the pump part is same for RX & RD. And hence the RX pump rebuild kit of RX should do your job. Might cost you close to Rs100/- for the one in Yamaha package.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:51   #318
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Pramod
Any reason why you're not going the premix way? Its a more fool proof approach, you don't have to worry about your pump giving way while you are riding and blowing your engine
Old 9th June 2015, 12:09   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I think, other than the housing or mounting layout the pump part is same for RX & RD. And hence the RX pump rebuild kit of RX should do your job. Might cost you close to Rs100/- for the one in Yamaha package.
The rebuild kit is not available here, you are right there is no change in the pump construction since the 60s.

Can somebody help me source a rebuild kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Any reason why you're not going the premix way? Its a more fool proof approach, you don't have to worry about your pump giving way while you are riding and blowing your engine
I am using the premix as well, but there is this little OCD which makes me keep the pump working as well.

Pramod
Old 10th June 2015, 15:53   #320
BHPian

Quote:
When you ride someone else's RD, the shortcomings of your RD will start starring you in the eye.
I have never had the chance to ride an RD350. But I think I can understand the same because that's exactly how I felt the first time I rode a 2nd Samurai (the first being my Dad's prized possession for the last 20 years).

I'm sure you'll find out a way to fix the issues.

Regards,
Sooraj
Old 10th June 2015, 16:18   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
I have never had the chance to ride an RD350. But I think I can understand the same because that's exactly how I felt the first time I rode a 2nd Samurai (the first being my Dad's prized possession for the last 20 years).

I'm sure you'll find out a way to fix the issues.

Regards,
Sooraj
True, to me my bike was fine, because I was not taking it above 60 for the last 500 odd kms, but when I did, it was misfiring and the other bike was not. mine had flat spots in the curve but the other one was linear.

Like I mentioned earlier all could be attributed to the flat slide carbs but I would be sure when I ride another stock bike.

but it has definitely planted a seed.

Pramod
Old 10th June 2015, 20:04   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go ahead and order them from their website. They are reliable bunch of people to do business with. I had ordered my caliper rebuild kit from them and was in my hands in 3 weeks time considering the customs clearance it was subjected to.

Regarding the other bike running well, I suspect its more of an ignition issues on your machine where you were complaining about the misfires and that occasional single cylinder running.

Avoid running the bike when it is running on single cylinder as it puts undue pressure on the crank and can lead to imbalance.
Old 11th June 2015, 09:17   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Go ahead and order them from their website. They are reliable bunch of people to do business with. I had ordered my caliper rebuild kit from them and was in my hands in 3 weeks time considering the customs clearance it was subjected to.

Regarding the other bike running well, I suspect its more of an ignition issues on your machine where you were complaining about the misfires and that occasional single cylinder running.

Avoid running the bike when it is running on single cylinder as it puts undue pressure on the crank and can lead to imbalance.
I too believe it was ignition related, I have not run the bike more than a few 100 mts last time a cylinder stopped firing. Like I mentioned, the head leak issue is not fixed, I am also running more oil to ensure the running in is smooth but there are misfires due to that as well. The ignition I am running is the same many others are running but they have not complained of any misfires. I think its a compounding effect of many things.

I have to sort many things(small issues). But other than that I am proud of her.

Pramod
Old 11th June 2015, 12:42   #324
BHPian

I am curious to know what/how long is the running in period for this build ? Plans to upgrade the ignition or you will work with the current one.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:02   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I am curious to know what/how long is the running in period for this build ? Plans to upgrade the ignition or you will work with the current one.
Running is usually about 1000Kms, I have crossed 500 KM and have started opening the throttle up now, its responding well as well. I will use the same setup till the time I get a reliable system designed for the RD, some digital kits in the market are nothing but fiero CDIs so ignition upgrade is not an easy swap. Bikes with similar kits perform better, yet to ride one in person. The misfire is like a clutch slip, there are flat spots where the engine misfires, let me see if I can get a doner set of flat slides to see if it improves the situation.

Pramod
Old 11th June 2015, 13:05   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Running is usually about 1000Kms, I have crossed 500 KM and have started opening the throttle up now, its responding well as well. I will use the same setup till the time I get a reliable system designed for the RD, some digital kits in the market are nothing but fiero CDIs so ignition upgrade is not an easy swap. Bikes with similar kits perform better, yet to ride one in person. The misfire is like a clutch slip, there are flat spots where the engine misfires, let me see if I can get a doner set of flat slides to see if it improves the situation.

Pramod
My 2 cents use the stock carbs for sorting this issues if possible, else as you said choose to have a spare flatslides. what is the color of the sparkplugs.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:45   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
My 2 cents use the stock carbs for sorting this issues if possible, else as you said choose to have a spare flatslides. what is the color of the sparkplugs.
honestly I have not checked the plugs for some time. I will check them today and post the results.

The bike runs fine, its only not as fine as the other RD I rode, meaning it could do better. It misfires on load not normally, cannot replicate the misfires.

Pramod
Old 12th June 2015, 09:33   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier all could be attributed to the flat slide carbs but I would be sure when I ride another stock bike.

Pramod
What is a flat slide carb? Did the Stock RDs come in flat slide carbs? Or did your friend upgrade to it? I did some web crawling and the list of different types of carbs is apparently endless. I also came across an article that said that there were reasons why the manufacturers decided to put "CV" carbs in street bikes and flat slide carbs in race bikes. And also mentioned that the bikes would have to be kept at the top third of its Rpm to actually exploit the advantage of a flat slide carb.
So the carb in you RD, is that a CV carb?? And what does CV stand for??
Old 12th June 2015, 10:28   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
What is a flat slide carb? Did the Stock RDs come in flat slide carbs? Or did your friend upgrade to it? I did some web crawling and the list of different types of carbs is apparently endless. I also came across an article that said that there were reasons why the manufacturers decided to put "CV" carbs in street bikes and flat slide carbs in race bikes. And also mentioned that the bikes would have to be kept at the top third of its Rpm to actually exploit the advantage of a flat slide carb.
So the carb in you RD, is that a CV carb?? And what does CV stand for??
Round or cylindrical slide is the one we have in the RD or fort that matter any street bike. The CV or constant velocity carb is a butterfly operated carb used in case if there is a fuel pump supplying fuel at a pressure.

The flat side has an instant opening mechanism unlike the round slide where throttle response and better breathing is preferred to a lot of other parameters. These are used in race setups and might put the engine to adverse stress. These can have an adverse impact on the barrels since their nature is to run lean at times, I have very less experience with flat slide carbs. Second disadvantage(some call it advantage) is you cannot run oil pump, you have to run premix. That is one reason no street bike comes with a flat slide.

CV carbs are more complex compared to the normal carbs operated with reed valve vacuum setup.

Pramod

Pramod
Old 1st July 2015, 14:03   #330
Senior - BHPian

Its been a while since this thread was last updated. Some updates, I had a minor crash on this one since the front wheel locked up. The fall landed me in the hospital since I was not wearing a helmet

This was fate, I never ride without a helmet and this day I decide to do a less than 25 meter ride and in the last 5 meters it catches gravel and slams me on the ground. The front mudguard was damaged, the crash guard was bent. As soon as I was out of the hospital, I decided to get a pooja done

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_1134.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_1132.jpg

The front mudguard was later changed to a continental GT mudguard, which is not fixed properly as of now. The strut brace is still in back order, so for the time being I just fixed it, I doesn't look that macho yet, but once it will be lowered it will get the look right

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_1424.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-img_1425.jpg

Some pics.

PS: I have recovered fully.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks