Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 23:19   #286
BHPian

re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
Pramod, this is the kind of Clutch Setup i found when i opened my RD350 Engine.
Although no rubber rings are there with the Friction plates available in the market.
Need some insight
OK I got it finally, its called Clutch Cushion Rings and they do exist and have to Be equal in number as the friction plate. I think they are just for dampening effect
Old 9th April 2015, 01:04   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

I need more details on the epoxy coating, please tell me more about the process. How many days does it take for the paint to cure, any special preparation.

Pramod
Hey Pramod, came across this Kreem product video on youtube which might help you with the process & time involved in de-rusting and lining the tank.

cheers!
-ootb

Old 9th April 2015, 09:20   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK I got it finally, its called Clutch Cushion Rings and they do exist and have to Be equal in number as the friction plate. I think they are just for dampening effect
I have never heard of them, there are so many things that I have not heard or seen yet . I don't think it is a must, because I have never seen them even in a banshee clutch plate sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Hey Pramod, came across this Kreem product video on Youtube which might help you with the process & time involved in de-rusting and lining the tank.

cheers!
-ootb

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dT3vUX7vUGs
Dear OOTB,

I have heard of Kreem, but its not available in India, so I am looking for rust treatments available locally, Thanks for the video.

Got new set of ignition locks, the bike came with Calibre/ CT 100 ignition lock, which is much better than the crappy ignition locks we get these days. I got a complete set(Tank and tool box lock, but these are useless). These locks are by minda, very solid built and looks solid.

Pramod
Old 9th April 2015, 10:06   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Dear OOTB,

I have heard of Kreem, but its not available in India, so I am looking for rust treatments available locally, Thanks for the video.

Pramod
You are welcome mate. I figured that even if you didn't use Kreem, you might get an idea of the steps involved with the video.

as for product availability in our country, your passion itself is a rarity in India and an inspiration to me and many others. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to achieve what you have done thus far.

FWIW, I order stuff regularly from an eBay UK supplier called customised choppers. their shipping charges are reasonable (Royal Mail UK) and so far I've never had to pay any duty on all the motorbike tit bits I have ordered from them. they do stock some Kreem products, so if you ever need it, try them out or give me a shout and I'll try to help you out.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:28   #290
BHPian

Quote:
I have never heard of them, there are so many things that I have not heard or seen yet . I don't think it is a must, because I have never seen them even in a banshee clutch plate sets

Dear OOTB,

Got new set of ignition locks, the bike came with Calibre/ CT 100 ignition lock, which is much better than the crappy ignition locks we get these days. I got a complete set(Tank and tool box lock, but these are useless). These locks are by minda, very solid built and looks solid.

Pramod
I understand what you mean, due to non availability lot of stuff is omitted which can only be seen in Bikes being opened after the 90s or never been opened.
However, looking at various forums about the Clutch Cushion Rings, they are beneficial in making the Clutch less jerky AFAIK. Any ways if available i will try to keep them and also use the O ring.
DO share pic of the Ignition Lock, is it 2 step?
Regarding the Tank Lock, did u buy a RX complete set?
then your handle lock can be used too IMHO!
Old 9th April 2015, 10:55   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand what you mean, due to non availability lot of stuff is omitted which can only be seen in Bikes being opened after the 90s or never been opened.
However, looking at various forums about the Clutch Cushion Rings, they are beneficial in making the Clutch less jerky AFAIK. Any ways if available i will try to keep them and also use the O ring.
My clutch basket had play, the mechanic who rebuilt my engine said the clutch would be very noisy, it was not. I did not change the plates as well cause the bike had less than 3k on the odo and the clutch plates confirmed the low running. Most of the things are over engineered and the clutch is the strongest among all 2t Yamaha bikes and its know to last as much as 50k Kms without over haul. what we get today is cheap cast aluminium baskets from Delhi, the metallurgy is never right on these things and they fail in less than a month. IMHO don't waste money on things which are unavailable look for alternatives, Everybody I know suggested me US spec front end, and every time, I would require a disk brake rebuild I would have to look at options of importing stuff. Its always advisable to look at local alternatives, I hope you understand my drift. Things which are hard to come by would always have a premium pricing attached to it, unless its a showstopper you should never look at it.

Quote:
DO share pic of the Ignition Lock, is it 2 step?
Regarding the Tank Lock, did u buy a RX complete set?
then your handle lock can be used too IMHO!
The lock is one step, but has a handle lock installed to it which is useless, but the build quality is to kill for. I bought the tank lock separately long back. The handle lock is very different from RX. As far as I know the RX handle locks are un-usable, but since you said so I would like to double check. let me first drill out the present lock and then I would try a RX lock to see if that works, as far as I know it doesn't. I will post some pics of the lock in the evening.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 9th April 2015 at 10:56.
Old 27th April 2015, 10:59   #292
Senior - BHPian

The Electricals are sorted and everything works. installed a central locking system and needs minor tweaking, the handle lock is integrated in the ignition lock mechanism.

If you all remember the broken stud fiasco, this is still causing a lot of head ache, with major leak at the head. I am getting it fixed permanently this coming weekend.

I need to change the front sprocket(existing one is little problematic), Wanted something to be little fun and not to burn a hole in the pocket. Please suggest if there is any sprocket available in the Indian market, which can be used in place of the existing sprocket.

Wish list, to be done in the below order:
Sprocket(front)
RD type rear shocks(waiting for the stock)
Rear tyre(waiting for the run in to be over)
Rear Mudguard(all options are super expensive, read 4.5k+, to be acquired during my next official Bangalore trip)
Front tyre(has a lot of meat left)
Rear Brake shoes( makes a funny whine sometimes)

Took a pic of the RD(firewall photography), its little over exposed, but I promise you all that I will deliver a wallpaper material soon.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430112548.890101.jpg

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 27th April 2015 at 11:03.
pramodkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 13:46   #293
BHPian

Man thats some stellar work you're doin there, takes a lotta dedication to pull a build of this nature off.

Loved the paintjob btw.

I was reading about your engine stud fiasco. As it just so happened, I was rebuilding my Enfield engine over these past few days and found that one the head studs had stripped inside the head. Went and got the next size tap from the lathe and corresponding larger stud and got that installed, working absolutely fine now.

Regards,

BOV
Old 27th April 2015, 14:20   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Man thats some stellar work you're doin there, takes a lotta dedication to pull a build of this nature off.

Loved the paintjob btw.
That's what even I am planning. This weekend I am going to the lathe with this stud and getting the new oversized one made. Looks like that's the easiest way forward. I wanted to weld the hole shut and then cut a fresh set of threads(standard size) this was mainly to ensure engine wise its unmolested and also take care of the OCD

Pramod

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th April 2015 at 21:56. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full post as it inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 4th May 2015, 08:57   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This weekend I am going to the lathe with this stud and getting the new oversized one made
This didn't happen, as I was able to tighten the stud so instead the central locking is fixed and everything works. All the electrical niggles are fixed, the battery is charging and the horn works.

I also fixed a saree guard on Friday and took Mrs for a ride. It was her maiden ride in the RD and she did not enjoy it a bit

Reasons:

It was a ~10-12 Kms round trip and had a 30 minutes break half way. The bike was smoking a lot and was over heating, we were under 50km/h and still could see it struggle, running in is not complete and its about 300Kms into running in. The last one KM it was on single cylinder and was over heating further. Somehow managed to reach home and it was hot as hell. Since we went very slow there is no damage to the engine. But looks like the RD is going to take a bit more than 1000kms before the runin is complete.

Pramod
Old 5th May 2015, 21:07   #296
BHPian

Great work on that old beauty! Wish i could see her someday in person.
Keep going.
Old 9th May 2015, 13:06   #297
BHPian

Finally it's here.. I've been following the thread silently from quite some time now. Being a die hard fan of the legend, I was glued to thread and haven't missed a single update. Showed this thread to my dad too who happens to be a die hard fan of Yamaha and has owned an RX100 during 1995. And as it happens, the DNA came into me and I happen to own a Yamaha Fazer which is my first bike, got it a year back.
Finding a bike this way is sheer luck. It's very rare to find a bike that has been left in an apartment for the last 7 years. I'm happy that you found out the bike. I know I'm late but my heartiest congratulations to you for the legend. Ride Safe!

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 9th May 2015, 13:50   #298
BHPian

As the restoration is mostly completed, Pramod Sir, I think you should report it to the mods and request them to add this to the title :
'EDIT: Now completed!'

Also, as you have maintained this thread immaculately with each update, you can also add something like 'Complete Restoration Guide.'

And yes, congrats on making the RD what she is today. You have great devotion, I must say. I wish I could also sleep with a beast like this resting by the side of my bed, just like you brought her into your room. I too, like Swapnil da, have been a silent follower of this thread. Infact, I was one of the first subscribers

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel
Old 20th May 2015, 15:16   #299
Senior - BHPian

Thanks raviShankar, You are welcome to Trivandrum. If you come here I will also let you ride the bike

Swapnil I also have an RX 100. It was the first thing I fell in love with and had a secret crush. This was also a gift from by cousin, who was going to scrap it, I have restored that too showroom condition with slight hints of customisation(headlight dome and buffing) I will do a photoshoot of that as well.

Neel restorations are never complete . I have a few more "things" to attend to, like new mudguards, tyres and silencers(the present ones are loud)

The bike has done 400+ kms till date post restoration. Still running in. I am getting my helmet customised to match the bike, similar colour. My friend has started designing it, I will post images once available.

pramod
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:14   #300
Senior - BHPian

Got new Michelin Street Sirac 100/90 R 18 tyre with tube, paid 2.3k for it, it was the last one in entire Trivandrum. I am now looking to change the rear mudguard.

Anybody from Bangalore willing to help me with a purchase of a small RD part? Please PM me if you can help.

yet to get the photo shoot done.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks