Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
400 for the seat cover and 127 for the beading.
How about the condition of foam inside? Wasn't that changed? Since the vehicle was idle for several years seat foam might have lost it's flexibility and may give up very soon. Worth replacing them.
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

The foam was not completely changed, due to non availability. What we did was, reshape the foam to the original specs by adding a lot of foam to the sides and centre. The result is very evident.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420259998.907559.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420260026.683200.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420260077.666566.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420260125.781043.jpg

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Wow looks like a bollywood story to me, I am happy that you are getting a chance to make your dream come true with this beast. Its interesting to know the bike was lying in Noida, Yusha I believe is from Lucknow. I remember meeting him couple of times in Noida many years back and riding one of his RD's, very nice person and goes out of the way to help. I am happy for you and please do adequate justice to the bike by giving it a nice restoration, get some good engine work done by professionals and let it live for many coming years. All the best.
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
What is your goal, that this bike should run the way an RD should run, or as authentic as possible?

It would be a great help to others if you could list out what all you have sourced, and from where and at what cost.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Yusha I believe is from lukhnow
He is the guy you are talking about, a true nutter. Once he came to office with a backpack, I asked him, where he was headed to? He told me he Was heading to Coimbatore to get his cylinders poted and polished

He really loved this bike, it was sad indeed to get it out of his hand. But the big thing is the RD will live another day, and to me that's what is important. He has other RDs, a first lot CBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
What is your goal, that this bike should run the way an RD should run, or as authentic as possible?
I didn't understand you, what is the difference? Authentic RDs don't run the way they should?

I will make a list of the stuff I procured and the price, I have detailed bills.

Today's update, got the front end, fits like a glove. Spent 1100 bucks for th lathe work, god I feel I am in the wrong career

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 3rd January 2015 at 22:23.
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mods sorry for the back to back posts.

Test fitting, everything checks out.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420304918.960757.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420304943.371135.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420304963.075884.jpg

The top plate is test fitted it will go for paint.

Swing arm bush fitted.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420305009.524433.jpg

The day's catch

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420305106.842634.jpg

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420305124.386088.jpg

Approved by Casper

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350. EDIT: Restoration completed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420305160.887790.jpg

Few quality issues, most of the spares I bought today are cheap Delhi stuff, I have no other option, the market is flooded with Delhi spares, no other options.
pramodkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:10   #22
BHPian

Where are you getting the bike restored, do share may help other potential bike owners to know and guide you better.

Also what is your plan for the bike, engine works, ignition, carbs - is it going to be complete stock or you are looking to add more oomp factor to the engine ,

And do keep the pics floating and sharing your journey of the bike build off.
Old 4th January 2015, 15:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't understand you, what is the difference? Authentic RDs don't run the way they should?
I believe he meant to ask if you are in this for power or just to have the bragging rights to owning a fully original looking RD. There are some people who would spend a lot of money on a good ignition kit, internals and cycle parts while there are some who would spend obscene amounts for a bike with original handle bar grips, switches, air filter, RC holder and what not but wouldn't give a damn about the engine specs and power output.

Since i see you've upgraded the front end, im sure you are not one of em 'woriginal' aficionados. You are in for the power of a kick-ass bike.

All the best mate!

Cheers!!
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 16:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Where are you getting the bike restored, do share may help other potential bike owners to know and guide you better.

Also what is your plan for the bike, engine works, ignition, carbs - is it going to be complete stock or you are looking to add more oomp factor to the engine ,

And do keep the pics floating and sharing your journey of the bike build off.
The rebuild is happening at my house, done by me and my buddy Tinu, major stuff like crank rebuild and the engine build is outsourced, I have outsourced the paint job as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I believe he meant to ask if you are in this for power or just to have the bragging rights to owning a fully original looking RD. There are some people who would spend a lot of money on a good ignition kit, internals and cycle parts while there are some who would spend obscene amounts for a bike with original handle bar grips, switches, air filter, RC holder and what not but wouldn't give a damn about the engine specs and power output.

Since i see you've upgraded the front end, im sure you are not one of em 'woriginal' aficionados. You are in for the power of a kick-ass bike.

All the best mate!

Cheers!!
The plan is to build a reliable street spec machine, it already is on a CDI(looks like Ravi Nagesh kit) I am looking for more function, I am opting for some backlit switches both sides may be from an entizer. I wanted this to look stock like but pack a punch, I have a spare set of LT cylinders which will go to Ron for his magic touch, but only when he is free. Idea is not to churn out a lot of power, it will progressively get better based on what I want, after all this is my build

I am waiting for the various parts to arrive, which were sent for zinc dipping, next weekend would be eventful.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Authentic RDs don't run the way they should?
They don't run the way hero worshipers think these will/ should run.
I see you have shifted from points to CDI. That answers the question.

Originality eg.:- Or just the top of my head, considering you have just posted about getting the seat done. The original beading had a knurled pattern on it. How bothered are you about it being/ not being there?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 21:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They don't run the way hero worshipers think these will/ should run.
I see you have shifted from points to CDI. That answers the question.

Originality eg.:- Or just the top of my head, considering you have just posted about getting the seat done. The original beading had a knurled pattern on it. How bothered are you about it being/ not being there?

Regards
Sutripta
Tell you honestly, I have riden bikes on points and if setup well they run super, sometimes better than major cdi bikes(because every city has a guy who modifies cdis from single cylinder bikes to run in an RD), mine came with a CDI. Details above.

The seat beading has not affected me a bit, but it did affect my buddy a lot. Who is a purist . I love function over form, my rx has a huge dome from a cd dawn(you will go cracking if you hear how my buddy describes it).

Pramod
Old 5th January 2015, 21:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell you honestly, I have riden bikes on points and if setup well they run super,
The trouble with points is how well these hold their tune, and lack of flexibility wrt ignition timing. And in the RD, syncing the two sets meant one had to do it oneself.

Anyway, best of luck with your build.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th January 2015, 21:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The trouble with points is how well these hold their tune, and lack of flexibility wrt ignition timing. And in the RD, syncing the two sets meant one had to do it oneself.

Regards
Sutripta
I completely agree.

Not underestimating your skills, but i have been down this road and nothing like getting an RDD cdi kit. Bike runs much better and stays consistent. Points need setting every 1k kms if you are a perfectionist and is always on back of your mind. And trust me it won't give you the best of performance throught out the rev range. I have had brand new OE jap sets with cam etc still the bike on digital CDI was just so superior in comparison.

One realizes such small advantages in real life, especially when you are off to a long ride, add KL monsoon. RDD CDI would be the best investment to the build, especially with those juicy new cylinder set you have got!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 22:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Sutripta
Noted, I am not on points, I am on what appears to be a Ravi nagesh kit. I was just trying to put across my school of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I completely agree.

Not underestimating your skills, but i have been down this road and nothing like getting an RDD cdi kit. Bike runs much better and stays consistent. Points need setting every 1k kms if you are a perfectionist and is always on back of your mind. And trust me it won't give you the best of performance throught out the rev range. I have had brand new OE jap sets with cam etc still the bike on digital CDI was just so superior in comparison.

One realizes such small advantages in real life, especially when you are off to a long ride, add KL monsoon. RDD CDI would be the best investment to the build, especially with those juicy new cylinder set you have got!
True, every word of it. I will keep all of it in my mind

As of now, the guy who promised zync dipped stuff today had screwed me over. He says he forgot even after confirming 3 times. I just told him that he is older than me so I aint gonna say a word. I guess he got the message. Waiting for new stuff to arrive tomorrow, most of the cycle parts would be done by end of this week.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 5th January 2015 at 22:03.
Old 5th January 2015, 22:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
RDD CDI would be the best investment to the build,
Is Ron still selling his kits?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks