Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 18:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
. The technique I use while riding is to make a note of no. of litres of petrol filled in my bike and multiply it by mileage I will get on those litres while mapping figures in my brain with the bike's odometer. KISS (Keep it Straight and Simple).
I too follow a similar technique on my TBTS 500. Instead of using my unreliable memory, I fill the tank and set one of the 2 trip meter to zero . I normally do not bother looking at the trip meter till the last bar of the fuel gauge starts blinking.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:13   #47
BHPian

[quote=navin_v8;3576686]Prologue

6. Night riding has become a less troublesome thanks to the HID projector beam headlamp; the throw is nice and bright. Although the headlight is adequate but I think one needs more illumination on our unlit national highways and interior sections where there are no street lights. The LED powered tail lights are a delight to watch, very effective and bright even on bright sunny days. The LED corona ring in headlight makes it look cool and upmarket, very useful as a DRL while riding in a convoy for identifying fellow group riders on the RVM while on a long ride.

@ Navin, For the headlight improvement if the TB500 uses 60/55W 12V headlamps you can try the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited halogens- it gives a beam which is brighter and more penetrating and improves illumination substantially at night.

atul
Old 18th November 2014, 09:24   #48
BHPian

I see a line on the tank(that looks like a crease),Is that what you mentioned about the film not being done properly?

Did they say anything about the life of that film?

I think for most of the people who are used to no fuel tank indicators on their motorcycles,the addition of one really won't change much.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
@ Navin, For the headlight improvement if the TB500 uses 60/55W 12V headlamps you can try the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited halogens- it gives a beam which is brighter and more penetrating and improves illumination substantially at night.

atul
Atul I believe you too have a Tbird 500, if yes have you used the Osram Nightbreaker halogens in your bike? Will it void my warranty if I change to Osram and moreover will it affect the filament?
Old 18th November 2014, 09:42   #50
BHPian

Sorry Navin, i am a TB/GT aspirant as of now and have only done testrides on the Tb and the GT. As of now i have a 1990 KB100RTZ which i have not used for the last 12years.
As for the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited they have the same technical specifications as conventional halogens so i am sure your warranty shall be applicable without any probs. They have the same voltage, wattage and fitment. I have used them on my Etios Liva and my 1984 CJ3B Mahindra and the results are fantastic . Use it once and i am sure you will never use anything else. They cost around Rs.1400 for a pair. Printed MRP is around Rs 2100/-

Atul
Old 18th November 2014, 09:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hey Atul nice to know that you are a budding RE Tbird and Continental GT aspiring buyer. You will never go wrong with either of these, it's only the purpose of riding that will define your choice. I know them Osram halogens and vouch by them as I am using it on my Mitsubishi Lancer although not the same make but of Osram brand. I was thinking about adding those LED lights that many on this forum have added, see Avi's thread on Maroon Marauder the RE Classic Chrome 500 EFi. But I will try this option you have suggested to see if it brightens up the roads where the street lights end.

All the best to you on finding the right motorcycle for you.

Good to know you still have he Kawasaki Bajaj KB RTZ 100 which gave a tough competition to the IND Suzuki and the screamer Yamaha RX 100. They don't make them two strokes no more, enjoy and keep her well .

Last edited by navin_v8 : 18th November 2014 at 09:58. Reason: grammar correction
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:04   #52
BHPian

All the best for numerous rides on your built like a gun bike.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I see a line on the tank(that looks like a crease),Is that what you mentioned about the film not being done properly?

Did they say anything about the life of that film?
Yes that line is the joint which shows a crease and it has increased over two days of application, the film application is a very complex procedure and it is quite a task to get it around the curved surface area of the tank, you can notice it is a piece of cake for the tool boxes as they have a flat surface. I have called the 3M guys and have raised my concern, will have to take my bike to them to rectify this issue. They said "the film will be there as long as you dont take it out, you can apply wax polish on top of it no problem". What I think is even if it stays for 5-7 years it is worth the investment and piece of mind.

Quote:
I think for most of the people who are used to no fuel tank indicators on their motorcycles,the addition of one really won't change much.
Didn't get this line, can you clarify?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best for numerous rides on your built like a gun bike.
Thanks for the wishes Atul and wish to see you on a Continental GT or a Tbird soon.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Didn't get this line, can you clarify?
Apologies,What I meant was that for us who are used to motorcycles with no fuel level indicators(like your older bulls),the addition of a fuel meter wouldn't make that much of a difference..We will always ride in that frame of mind.Is it not?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Apologies,What I meant was that for us who are used to motorcycles with no fuel level indicators(like your older bulls),the addition of a fuel meter wouldn't make that much of a difference..We will always ride in that frame of mind.Is it not?
Oh that way and no need to apologise mate. I was used to riding without fuel level indicators on my CI's and still do, until I bought my Tbird AVL 350 which has a analog fuel level indicator which spoiled me .
Old 19th November 2014, 08:55   #57
BHPian

@Navin- Thank you. Yes i plan to keep my RTZ till i can although it is no longer in running condition and would require a major servicing/overhaul to make it zip again. Yes, i agree that it did give some competition to the RX's but never really could be compared to the AX100's or the CD100's. RX and RTZ were more of performance bikes while the AX and the CD's were city shuttlers. I found the RX free revving while the RTZ had to be coaxed to perform although the tech specs of the RTZ were better any day in terms of electricals, brakes tyres, road holding and stability. Engine and gear-box wise the Rx was better.

As for the headlight of your TB you can check out the osram nightbreaker unlimited at their website here-

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news-...ails/index.jsp
ATUL SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 10:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the headlight of your TB you can check out the osram nightbreaker unlimited at their website here-

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news-...ails/index.jsp
Hey Atul thanks for giving the reference of Osram NB unlimited. I have gone through the specs and also checked in my owners manual the wattage and bulb type is 55W and H7 similar to the Osram NB unlimited. I just have to find out if I can buy a single piece for my Tbird500 as the box cover shows two, I believe it comes in a pair of two.

Meanwhile I also need to check out how does Philips X-treme Vision H7 (I can also vouch by Philips' quality as the halogen bulbs on my previous car the Opel Astra was Philips make) perform compared to Osram NB unlimited. The challenge will be to find original ones as there are lot of fakes floating around in the market.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 19th November 2014 at 10:05. Reason: grammar edits
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 12:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I just have to find out if I can buy a single piece for my Tbird500 as the box cover shows two, I believe it comes in a pair of twoMeanwhile I also need to check out how does Philips X-treme Vision H7 (I can also vouch by Philips' quality as the halogen bulbs on my previous car the Opel Astra was Philips make) perform compared to Osram NB unlimited. The challenge will be to find original ones as there are lot of fakes floating around in the market.
[/quote]

GOOD LUCK on that @Navin. The Osram will come in pairs and you have to decide whether you want to keep an extra. As for the philips extreme vision i have no knowledge so you can try and compare. The Osram NB Unlimited beam is not conventional yellow but slightly white(not blue). Am able to drive at speeds of 120+ in my etios liva with the Osram NB Unlimited. Dont know how you plan to compare their performance. Incase the Philips Xtreme vision is better do let me know then i can also have a go at it
Old 21st November 2014, 11:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Time for the 3M PPF update

Dear TeamBhpian's as mentioned a few posts back, I went to the 3M car care shop located in SEEPZ this morning to rectify the crease and bubbles that appeared on my Tbird500's fuel tank after two days of PPF application. This usually happens as the PPF film is stretched while it is applied on the surface, after some time it shrinks to form a perfect shape while bonding with the surface it is applied on. The shrinking results in creases and bubbles at the seams.

To overcome this, the 3M guys actually overlap the PPF film one over the other at the seams. Note that the PPF film is applied in two pieces one at the top and one at the bottom as a fuel tank has a curved surface area which is difficult to cover in one piece. The overlapped area is where the creases and bubbles appear. The 3M guys cut the overlapped seam area using a sharp blade where the bubbles and creases appear after a couple of days of application. Given below are the "Before and After" results.

You guys can notice that the finishing is not that great, but is it also not that bad. I can live with it rather than seeing numerous scratches on it and have a piece of mind while I park it in open unattended areas.

P.S. I am not posting the tool box images as they are perfectly done, thanks to the flat surface area.
Attached Thumbnails
Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-ppf-1.jpg  

Undying hunger, my 5th Royal Enfield - The Thunderbird 500-ppf-2.jpg  

navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks