Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 17:39   #1
BHPian

Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine

For all those interested in quirky bits and pieces here are some pics.
I had heard of this engine for a long time but was never able to track it down, recently I found it and after a few months of peusading the owner finally was able to buy it.
It comes from a 1927/29 Levis and is incomplete with the piston firmly stuck in the barrel. Any ideas of freeing the piston and any leads to the mising bits and bobs would always be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine-20140508_164038.jpg  

Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine-20140508_164025.jpg  

Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine-20140508_164019.jpg  

Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine-dsc02005-copy.jpg  

Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine-dsc02007.jpg  

Collector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 04:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine

As I'm sure you already know, there are a number of Penetrating oils that might be used to free your stuck piston.

I don't know if you can obtain any Acetone in India but one home made Penetrating solution that is reported to work wonders is made by mixing a 50%/50% solution of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid.
The 2 fluids have different densities and do not mix into a homogeneous mix but if shaken right before applying it should work.

It may take several applications coupled with some light tapping with a wooden block.

Acetone is sometimes used as a paint thinner so perhaps a Paint Store would have it.

It can be absorbed thru the skin and if breathed in large amounts can cause liver damage so use it in a well ventilated area far away from flames.

With a name like "Collector" I'm sure you already know this but for those who don't:

Levis was first designed by Bob Newey, a Norton employee. Norton wanted nothing to do with it however his girlfriend, Daisy Butterfield and her two brothers thought the lightweight 2 stroke design held promise.
The motorcycle was named by Mrs. Butterfield, the three's mother. She chose "Levis", a Latin word for "light" because of its light weight. This all happened prior to 1912.

With the exception of Scott, much of the development of the 2 cycle engine (including the expansion chamber) was done by the Levis company.

During their existence they produced both 2 and 4 stroke engines.
They also produced a motorcycle with a oil dampened plunger rear suspension in 1939.

During WW II, the company built air compressors for the Military and their motorcycle making business never was revived. As of 1979, they were still producing air compressors under the new company name, "Leviss".*

*"The World of Motorcycles, an Illustrated Encyclopedia"
Orbis Publishing Ltd., London 1979

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 22nd September 2014 at 04:14.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:09   #3
BHPian

Re: Recent Purchase: 1927/29 Levis Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As I'm sure you already know, there are a number of Penetrating oils that might be used to free your stuck piston.

I don't know if you can obtain any Acetone in India but one home made Penetrating solution that is reported to work wonders is made by mixing a 50%/50% solution of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid.
The 2 fluids have different densities and do not mix into a homogeneous mix but if shaken right before applying it should work.

It may take several applications coupled with some light tapping with a wooden block.

Acetone is sometimes used as a paint thinner so perhaps a Paint Store would have it.

It can be absorbed thru the skin and if breathed in large amounts can cause liver damage so use it in a well ventilated area far away from flames.

With a name like "Collector" I'm sure you already know this but for those who don't:

Levis was first designed by Bob Newey, a Norton employee. Norton wanted nothing to do with it however his girlfriend, Daisy Butterfield and her two brothers thought the lightweight 2 stroke design held promise.
The motorcycle was named by Mrs. Butterfield, the three's mother. She chose "Levis", a Latin word for "light" because of its light weight. This all happened prior to 1912.

With the exception of Scott, much of the development of the 2 cycle engine (including the expansion chamber) was done by the Levis company.

During their existence they produced both 2 and 4 stroke engines.
They also produced a motorcycle with a oil dampened plunger rear suspension in 1939.

During WW II, the company built air compressors for the Military and their motorcycle making business never was revived. As of 1979, they were still producing air compressors under the new company name, "Leviss".*

*"The World of Motorcycles, an Illustrated Encyclopedia"
Orbis Publishing Ltd., London 1979

Arizona Jim, thanks for the sugestion I will try it out. Acetone is available here without much difficulties.....
The history lesson was interesting and something i did not know about. Any ides if I can source any of the missing parts from USA????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks