Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Hero Impulse...after an Enfield Classic 500?

Howdy Guys,

Call me crazy but I'm thinking of going for the Impulse. I've had my CL500 for 3 years and now I'm bored. I had decided to buy the Duke390 but have decided to wait an year for the adventure version (if they even decide to launch it).

I'm looking for something mainly for the city with the occasional hill ride thrown in. But my main concern with the Impulse is that I fear after the 500 I might feel that it's just way too under powered.

So I'm a bit confused if I should go for this or not? Also, if I go for one, I'll probably get a used one because almost no dealer has them in stock (even though they say its not discontinued yet).

Also I'm worried about the availability of spare parts and stuff.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out with this. Because I don't want to make an impulsive decision by purchasing an Impulse.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2014 at 14:34. Reason: Removing unnecessary * marks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hero Impulse...after an Enfield Classic 500?

I dont think that adventure 390 is coming anytime soon;the duke's and RC's will give them enough profits.

Get a D390 and mod it with tires better suited to touring and the works.
Lots of 390's in the used market as well going cheap.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:27   #3
BHPian

If I recall correctly , a source directly from official ktm/bajaj ruled out an adventure version of the 390 .

And yes , after the 500 the impulse will feel weak .
basuroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Call me crazy but I'm thinking of going for the Impulse.
No you are not. Its a bloody good bike! Even I am lusting after it

Quote:
I had decided to buy the Duke390 but have decided to wait an year for the adventure version (if they even decide to launch it).*
As per KTM, the adventure would need a whole new platform and I dont think that is going to happen even by next year and a half. [Would be extremely happy to be proven wrong here though!]

Quote:
I'm looking for something mainly for the city with the occasional hill ride thrown in.
By 'hill' I assume you mean off-road trails.

Quote:
But my main concern with the Impulse is that I fear after the 500 I might feel that it's just way too under powered.*
Yes, you will feel the impulse to be under powered. Especially the near absence of torque compared to the C5.

Quote:
So I'm a bit confused if I should go for this or not?
Sorry, only you can answer that. Depends on if you would be satisfied with the power provided by the Impulse!

Quote:
Also I'm worried about the availability of spare parts and stuff.*
Since Hero-s have a 5 year warranty, I don't think parts would be a problem for atleast 3 years down the line!

You have 2 options
- buy a second hand Impulse, take out the engine, procure a second hand Karizma engine and plonk it in to that semi double cradle frame! Oh, and also a free flow exhaust and a performance filter! OR

- strip down your C5 to a scrambler!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 15th September 2014 at 18:38.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:44   #5
BHPian

I've never ridden an Impulse,although on paper it does seem underpowered compared to the C500.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...o-impulse.html

Since you're interested in the Impulse,do have a read.Its probably the most detailed review of the Impulse I've read(including all the issues with the impulse)
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 20:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

The stuff imported into India by KTM looks rather interesting.

Hero Impulse...after an Enfield Classic 500?-ktm.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 22:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
"and now I'm bored."
Hello,

Sir, I would request you to state your reasons of the boredom -

- Are you tired of driving it ?
- Are you tired of the monotonous and same designed bikes around u?

Since you mentioned the Impulse, somehow I feel that you want exclusivity rather than practicality.

In that case if I am right why don't you try custom modifications on your bike. It is not necessary for you to do an extensive customization on your CL5. Surf the web, surf our own site Team-BHP, you will get tonnes of ideas for small to big modifications for your bull.

The best part about owning an RE is there are various ways you can change the look of the bike and yet it will be accepted as exclusive. No other bike enjoys this status (for eg, you cannot modify a CBZ to a chopper and get respect - No pun intended though).

Or a simple colour change could sometimes do the trick.

The point I am trying to make is you can be very very expressive about the customization and feel really unique about your ride.

Give it a thought though. Cheers !!
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 09:12   #8
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The stuff imported into India by KTM looks rather interesting.

Attachment 1288158
Not entirely sure, but most of these might be only for display purposes. The KTM showroom near the Pune railway station has a RC8 and a dirt bike on display. Yet to check out these at the showroom though.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont think that adventure 390 is coming anytime soon;the duke's and RC's will give them enough profits.

Get a D390 and mod it with tires better suited to touring and the works.
Lots of 390's in the used market as well going cheap.
Can't purchase a new 390 (or even used) before last quarter of next year :(
I was thinking about Impulse as it fits my budget and I need something to thrash around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
By 'hill' I assume you mean off-road trails.
Exactly!

Quote:
Yes, you will feel the impulse to be under powered. Especially the near absence of torque compared to the C5.
I don't think it should be a concern since 90% of my ride would be limited to the city with the occasional highway+trail ride thrown in. But I'm not really sure because I don't want to feel frustrated with the lack of power.

Quote:
You have 2 options
- buy a second hand Impulse, take out the engine, procure a second hand Karizma engine and plonk it in to that semi double cradle frame! Oh, and also a free flow exhaust and a performance filter! OR

- strip down your C5 to a scrambler!
Turning my C5 into a scrambler is what I really long to do but right now I don't have the time to contribute to something like this. Plus the lack of somebody skilled enough to do this in my city (Chandigarh) is also a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

- Are you tired of driving it ?
- Are you tired of the monotonous and same designed bikes around u?
I love riding my C5 but I need something that I can thrash around. Something on the lines of "Hey I wanna jump this curb" or "That trail looks fun" and I know the C5 can't do all of this.

Quote:
Since you mentioned the Impulse, somehow I feel that you want exclusivity rather than practicality.
Like I mentioned above, my criteria is that I want something fun that I can thrash around. Sort of like a take-it-anywhere motorbike.

Quote:
In that case if I am right why don't you try custom modifications on your bike. It is not necessary for you to do an extensive customization on your CL5. Surf the web, surf our own site Team-BHP, you will get tonnes of ideas for small to big modifications for your bull.
I want to but right now I don't have the time to contribute to something like this. So that's out for me.

Also, can somebody tell me if the Impulse has been discontinued? I have called 3 different dealers in 3 different cities but all of them say that it has not been discontinued but we don't order it as no one buys it. And it would be extremely difficult for us just to order one piece.
Old 16th September 2014, 12:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, can somebody tell me if the Impulse has been discontinued? I have called 3 different dealers in 3 different cities but all of them say that it has not been discontinued but we don't order it as no one buys it. And it would be extremely difficult for us just to order one piece.
As per my knowledge, it is discontinued. Haven't heard of that made-to-order stuff.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it has been discontinued.However some dealers might have old stock left over.If your dealership is actively helpful,they should be able to get you your Impulse.

Since you mentioned you will primarily be using it in the city and offroad trails,I doubt that the lack in power between the C-500 and the Impulse will come into play.

Did you try to find a used Impulse?It might be available.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 18:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hero Impulse...after an Enfield Classic 500?

Well....about the Impulse. You will feel it very underpowered. Especially if you are riding inside the city. I have already gotten bored of riding it within the city for my everyday commute. I am seriously thinking of getting a Karizma engine fitted in. Waiting for some funds to materialise.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 02:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt that the lack in power between the C-500 and the Impulse will come into play.
Not really. The high torque bulls are so much fun to ride in the city. Riding it in higher gears and hardly needing to shift down means far lesser stress to change gears.

In fact a 500 is a different feel compared to the 350. It has so much torque in it that you almost feel like sitting on a TANK that basically moves you around where your effort appears minimal.

In city riding i felt the KTM 390 a better bike than my 500 simply because it was SUPER fun to zip around at safe speeds and always had power at tap when you needed it.

The impulse is good but what you will miss is that low rpm torque that will surely feel strange.

In chennai peak traffic i drive to city and back from tambaram. The best i have enjoyed is KTM 390. Bull is secondary. The other bikes including Impulse never impressed me. Including the karizmas.

May be CBR250.

Ask the ebono here. He will say bull is the best in the hills and ask few others here that they will say 390 is fun as well.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 08:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Since you mentioned you will primarily be using it in the city and offroad trails,I doubt that the lack in power between the C-500 and the Impulse will come into play.

Did you try to find a used Impulse?It might be available.
I haven't been able to find a decent used Impulse yet nor have I been able to take a test ride (because they are not available anywhere). I think I'll just stick with my CL 500 for an year or two more rather than taking a chance with this whole lack of power thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well....about the Impulse. You will feel it very underpowered. Especially if you are riding inside the city. I have already gotten bored of riding it within the city for my everyday commute. I am seriously thinking of getting a Karizma engine fitted in. Waiting for some funds to materialise.
Thank you for the honest post. I think I'll just stick with my CL 500 rather than ending up feeling frustrated with an Impulse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not really. The high torque bulls are so much fun to ride in the city. Riding it in higher gears and hardly needing to shift down means far lesser stress to change gears......
Thank you! The torque is something that I agree on. Compared to my old Cast Iron 350, the UCE 500 was a breath of fresh air. And yes, like you mentioned, it is a TANK!

The Duke 390 is something that a desire but I'll wait till the rim cracking issue gets resolved. So I guess I'll just stick with my CL500 till mid-2016 or so. Maybe something better will get launched.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess I'll just stick with my CL500 till mid-2016 or so. Maybe something better will get launched.
Go ahead and get an used 390 and get used to the KTM style of riding. You can sell it off if ever they launch endurance version. I do not foresee endurance every getting launched in India and for me the 1190 endurance will make more sense but will cost the upward of 10L and nothing less even if its launched.

Even get the 200 which you can pick between 50-80k based on their condition.

But the 390 is altogether a joy for someone coming from bullet. You were anyway not a rider who thrashes the bike at high rpm. Even at 7k rpm the KTM will cruise for days as long as its fed without fretting at good average speeds which is over 20kms atleast an hour over your bull.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks