Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 20:24   #16
BHPian

re: Daily use Scooter for Wife

Going by the responses so far, there are two primary contenders.
1. TVS Wego
2. Activa-i

The Mahindra Duro is in essence the Kinetic Nova after Mahindra bought off the business from Kinetic. Am I right? If so, I might consider that too. I really liked the neutral look of the Nova and the handling was brilliant!

Thanks for your inputs, fellas. Much appreciated.
Old 8th April 2014, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Re: Daily use Scooter for Wife

I own a Honda Dio and my preferences were the same as yours. She has been a wonderful ride since last 2 years and never had any issues, thanks to the reliable Honda ASS and the build quality.

Things you would like :
- Sporty, unisex looks
- Peppy and fast engine on a light fibre body
- Refined engine
- Decent fuel efficiency - I get close 50 kmpl in Chennai

Things you wont like :
- Front fork suspension from the time when India got independence. Not sure if the new model now comes with hydraulics. This will not be a big concern if you ride mostly on city roads and have no plane to take the bike on highways.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2014 at 11:39. Reason: Adding spacing for better readability.
nixie89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 21:09   #18
BHPian

Interesting thread. I have been having the same dilemma.

Honda Activa: Father owns one. Very reliable. He services it every 10000 kms only and only when I force him to. Long waiting periods for purchase.

TVS Jupiter: Have test ridden it. Very comfortable. Wife felt that it was much better than the Activa. Long waiting periods for purchase. Not sure about the A.S.S. in Mumbai.

TVS Wego: Similar to the Jupiter with a few differences. Available off the shelf.

Have not test ridden the rest, will be doing them.

Find attached a comparison sheet that I have made. Please free to update and repost.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Gearless Scooter Comparision.xlsx (12.4 KB, 1254 views)
ksmrsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 08:14   #19
BHPian

Being an owner of TVS Jupiter myself - it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. Being the first lot delivered in Mysore, Karnataka, my parents did enjoy the extra attention it was getting.

Coming to the topic at hand: TVS Jupiter and Wego are definitely VFM vehicles and I can vouch for it. My parents are both senior citizens and they have absolutely no problem in taking the vehicle around.
Your wife should not have a problem with the Wego or the Jupiter and as far as I am concerned, I am not sure of the fact that "disc brakes" are needed. Do take a test rides from the TVS stable.

+points of a Jupiter:
Telescopic front suspension
Large 90/90-12,Tubeless tyres on black alloys
EZ stand - even my parents can easily put on the centre stand!
Largest leg space(read 375mm)
Smooth CVT-i Engine
Extra hooks in the front (can be very helpful during shopping)
Unique pass switch
External fuel lid
Body balance technology
17lts of underseat storage (fits a full face helmet. does not fit ls2/agv type imported helmets-none of the 2wheelers do)

Though I would not say it is a negative point, I would have preferred it to have a full metal body like WEGO. Only the front panel of the vehicle is plastic fibre and the rest is all metal.

Also- check the Activa 125. The latest entrant into the market. Has got telescopic suspension and also alloys and discs if you go for the deluxe edition. (Though the pathetic customer handling and ASS of the Honda remains)!
kash_pegasus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 08:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

I recently drove the TVS Jupiter which my BIL had bought. Having driven the Activa, I found the Jupiter too light, gets easily imbalanced with even a small turn. The front suspensions seem to bob up & down even with my weight leave apart on the broken roads. The suspensions of Activa are nothing worth to write about. The scooter is scaringly zippy, brakes are sharp. Overall the scooter will find many takers in youngsters.

I would have suggested the new Activa 125 but Honda has priced it right in the Vespa range.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Go for Vespa Vx without any doubt.

I was in similar situation last month. Asked wifey to have back to back test rides of all the scooters, followed by the conclusion in evening.

And the result was - "VESPA Vx" only
Bought it on 31st Mar 2014.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Go for Vespa Vx without any doubt.

I was in similar situation last month. Asked wifey to have back to back test rides of all the scooters, followed by the conclusion in evening.

And the result was - "VESPA Vx" only
Bought it on 31st Mar 2014.
What is the OTR of the Vespa VX? I know it perhaps looks the best of the lot. But does it fulfill other important criteria like ride, handling, fuel efficiency and A.S.S?
Old 9th April 2014, 19:47   #23
BHPian

I did a back to back test of the following scooters today with my wife as a pillion.

1. Suzuki Access
2. Suzuki Swish
3. TVS Jupiter
4. TVS Wego

Did not consider the Yamaha Alpha as the GC was low as per the specs. Didn't want the Activa, Maestro (based on the activa platform) or the Vespa.

In brief the ride, handling and comfort levels were similar between the Swish - Jupiter and Access - Wego. The second pair had a bit more aggressive riding pose for my 5'8" pleasantly plump frame.

Wife was also very comfortable with the first pair and hence booked the Jupiter - a black beauty . Initial response was a wait period of 15 days for Black, White or Red colors and 1 month for the Grey. After threatening to go to Suzuki, was given a choice of Black or White for immediate delivery.

Wego and the Suzuki twins were available off the shelf.

Rest in an ownership thread.
Old 10th April 2014, 08:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
But does it fulfill other important criteria like ride, handling, fuel efficiency and A.S.S?
I have driven the Vespa and it loses my vote on two counts of poor handling and ride confidence. Have heard many incidents of Vespa riders experiencing imbalancing on broken roads. One of my neighbour who owns the Yellow wasp tucks it away during the monsoons and prefers using public transport.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
What is the OTR of the Vespa VX? I know it perhaps looks the best of the lot. But does it fulfill other important criteria like ride, handling, fuel efficiency and A.S.S?

OTR in Pune for VESPA VX - @ Rs 81,000 /-
Accessories - @ Rs 4000 /- Extra

We are fully satisfied with the ride & handling. Actually buying decision was based on that mainly.
@ fuel efficiency - its too early now to comment.! But looking at fuel gauge its looks optimal.
A.S.S - will update after service, but have heard good from the fellow owners.

Last edited by 007 : 10th April 2014 at 09:27. Reason: Addition of more text
Old 10th April 2014, 18:06   #26
D4D
BHPian

I think Honda Activa is a very good choice. It's got a very good engine which is very reliable (can last you upto 1,00,000 km.)
->Think Honda has a very large service network in the country(Second to Hero Honda)
->Mileage is about 40-45 kmpl, improves after 1st service
->I personally think Activa-i is a slighly better handler in heavy traffic as it's smaller and lighter
->Activa is comfortable for 20 km journey without much body ache

Hope this helps.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Yamaha Ray.

Its has been designed specifically for ladies.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:37   #28
BHPian

My Wife learnt the 2 wheeler driving on TVS Pep+ and we had it till 2012.
One of the plus point of TVS 2 Wheeler's are that they light weight. Even though they look Fragile, they have strong body frame.

Activa, in the new Avatar is still a heavy weight even though it has better handling & ride quality.

Hence I would suggest TVS Wega as its the next generation of TVS Pep+
Old 11th April 2014, 11:49   #29
BHPian

My friends (husband-wife) have both, a Honda Activa and a TVS Wego. Both have them prefer the Wego; they feel that the Wego has better balance, handles better, and is easier to put on the main stand.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I had a similar situation last year. I made my wife drive all the prominent contenders. We specially ruled out the Honda Activa because of two reasons
The Wego is marketed as unisex, though I do think it looks odd on large framed individuals (politely describing my girth )
Adding few more Wego’s advantages.

1. Telescopic front suspension: it makes a lot of difference. Try riding Wego over bad roads and you hardly get any vibrations to handle.
2. Body balance is the biggest advantage. Wego handles very well and you can turn quickly in heavy Indian traffic. Also due to body balance driving at slow speed in traffic is not much of an issue.
3. Front storage: you get additional front storage space with lock to store gloves and small items
4. Wego is slim than Activa: width 640 mm vs 710 mm. So it’s easier to park in tight spots just like a 100 CC bike. I have personal experienced about this many times.
5. Bigger wheel size: 12 inch alloy wheel is another advantage
6. Good after sales service. Spares if at all needed are available immediately.
7. The kick starter position and swing: though you may not need this but Wego’s kick lever position is way better than other scooters. It’s very easy to start using kick.
8. Easy centre stand: you can park the scooter by using one finger literally. You have to try it to believe it
9. LED tail lamps
10. Front disk brake available as optional

Me and my wife are using White colour Wego for last three years. No complaints so far.

Hope this helps.
mp417 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks