Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2006, 20:38   #1

Bullet/Yezdi/CBZ ??

I am a college student looking to purchase a bike (2nd hand); i would like your opinions on which to go for out of:
Bullet (Machismo or 350)
Yezdi Roadking
CBZ
I need the bike mainly for campus & occasionaly drives of maximum 40kms. Style and safety are first priority whereas mileage and buying cost is not really a concern.
I am also a 1st time bike rider (i am 5ft 9in, 72kg)
I would appreciate your ideas/experiences/advice very much.

Thank you.
Old 3rd July 2006, 20:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

CBZ for u, especially since you are a first timer. Ease of use, respectable style, easy maintanence and relaibility

Some tougher attitude go for Bullet, will require some getting used to tempermantal behavior as well as when the CBZ wizz past at traffic light starts

Yezdi well if you want to graduate as a kewl dude with attitude, patience to find parts and dont mind getting hands and trousers dirty with some grime, again hard to find a good piece

Each has pros and cons, my advice CBZ for now
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:03   #3
BHPian

as mentioned by JAGGU above yezdi n bullet r not for the first time owners , they require patience n a fair bit of knowledge of mechanical aspect of the working of the bike to enjoy these age old beauties. As u r a first time owner i will suggest to go in for a CBZ simly becos of the fact that its easy to maintain n even if it screws p big time u can rely on the hero honda guys to pull u through...
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will recommend an RD in case you can afford it. IS totally fun to drive, the most powerful bike in the country, Amazing sound etc etc etc

Mileage 20kmpl, spares hardly available are two major problems. price for a good model will be anywhere from 15k-40k depending on the condition.

Second choice will be a yezdi. The roadking has this charm which only a bullet has and the torquey engine is fun to drive. Sounds great and is more powerful than the cbz if you know how to use the throttle. Easily available under 10k in the most immaculate condition. I would suggest it as a second bike if you are buying anything else. spares is a bit of a problem but nothin too serious.

To be safe with the purchase go with a cbz. is newer in this brigade and better handler of the lot. prices will be anything from 10-30K.

As for the bullet. IT makes one of the best new buys today but cant say the same for a used. Too much maintainence and heavy. may be a problem if you are a first time driver. But certainly go for it if you take long trips and love to cruise around.
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:30   #5
BANNED

Devarishi84.. I suggest you READ the post before replying.. recommending an RD to a FIRST TIME BIKER is not really the wisest thing to do...and in any case that was never an option for him to get!
I have no idea if you ever rode an RD or not.. if you have then I am sure you wouldnt recommend it to a person whose just starting out on his biking journey.. or else it might be an EXTREMLY short one.
I would suggest the CBZ...decient for a first timer.
Remember to wear a helmet.. ALWAYS!

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 3rd July 2006 at 22:32.
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:35   #6
F50
Senior - BHPian

Practically thinking go for CBZ. First timer and no hassles, actually. But I would have gone for Yezdi Classic I just have a liking for that bike.
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Devarishi84.. I suggest you READ the post before replying.. recommending an RD to a FIRST TIME BIKER is not really the wisest thing to do...and in any case that was never an option for him to get!
I have no idea if you ever rode an RD or not.. if you have then I am sure you wouldnt recommend it to a person whose just starting out on his biking journey.. or else it might be an EXTREMLY short one.
I would suggest the CBZ...decient for a first timer.
Remember to wear a helmet.. ALWAYS!
Ok he is a first timer. Doesnt mean RD is not safe for him. many people buy bikes only once in their lives. Does it mean they should never buy an RD?

Yes I have driven an RD and hence am a big fan. Yezdi sure is a seriousone with the kicker hittin back and all like the enfield.

But that shouldnt be the deciding factor. No newbie is gonna race the first thing he gets on the seat.
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:19   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Ok he is a first timer. Doesnt mean RD is not safe for him. many people buy bikes only once in their lives. Does it mean they should never buy an RD?

Yes I have driven an RD and hence am a big fan. Yezdi sure is a seriousone with the kicker hittin back and all like the enfield.

But that shouldnt be the deciding factor. No newbie is gonna race the first thing he gets on the seat.
So your actually saying its ok for someone to LEARN HOW TO RIDE on an RD 350...
Buddy.. you got more guts than me for suggesting that.. all the best to you then!
Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

An RD is out of of the question here, There is no mention of RD in his post and its not recommended for a biking newbie. Apart from that the bike is difficult ot source and maintain. The 350's take a little time to get used to given it weight and left gear shifter.

CBZ will be the best option as it will good style and safety as he wants. Mileage and cost of ownership shouldnt be an issue for naked flame.

Guys, please read the previous posts completely before giving out suggestions
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:57   #10
BANNED

... precisely what I said in the first place!
Old 4th July 2006, 00:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
The 350's take a little time to get used to given it weight and left gear shifter.
Sorry, I meant right gear shifter and left brakes
Old 4th July 2006, 02:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
An RD is out of of the question here, There is no mention of RD in his post and its not recommended for a biking newbie. Apart from that the bike is difficult ot source and maintain. The 350's take a little time to get used to given it weight and left gear shifter.

CBZ will be the best option as it will good style and safety as he wants. Mileage and cost of ownership shouldnt be an issue for naked flame.

Guys, please read the previous posts completely before giving out suggestions

Not everybody knows about RD in India and also not everybody buys what they have in mind when starting out.

Yes the bike is difficult to source and maintain. So are Yezdi and Enfield. but the buyer has mentioned them. Yes RD is a notch above when it comes to sourcing and maintaining. So what? buying a gem has its price.

I want to know who set the rules that a newbie needs to start learning on a sissy bike!!! Where Litre class bikes sell more than small capacity bikes they dont start with such puny machines. Neither are there any such rules.

Its not about guts, its about logic. he said style and safety first and doesnt care about mileage and resale price. CBZ isnt exactly stylish today.Also safety comes with a helmet on a bike.

From his selection of yezdi and enfield in the list, its clear what kind of bikes he is more geared towards.hence I put up my suggestion. Other bikes are also present in my post. and I have put both the pros and cons. So let the buyer decide. why the fuss?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 4th July 2006 at 02:38.
Old 4th July 2006, 03:22   #13
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
CBZ for u, especially since you are a first timer. Ease of use, respectable style, easy maintanence and relaibility
CBZ is the best bike for someone like you.
Old 4th July 2006, 05:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Not everybody knows about RD in India and also not everybody buys what they have in mind when starting out.

Yes the bike is difficult to source and maintain. So are Yezdi and Enfield. but the buyer has mentioned them. Yes RD is a notch above when it comes to sourcing and maintaining. So what? buying a gem has its price.
Have you ever owned an RD350?

It is a great “Second” bike and only for those who accept the fact it will cost twice as much as the buying price to restore her and even then she will need care and regular maintenance to keep her in shape.

Maintaining a motorcycle which was last manufactured a decade back is tough. Same goes for the yazdi, only buy them if you have the patience of a priest and dedication of a mountain climber.

The stock bore lasts for around 20k and less, over sizes last for 8-12k kms. Points need to be set every few hundred kms and sourcing is a headache and parts costly. Add to that only a few mechanics can service her properly, market is littered with bikes which were brought by people who didn’t knew what they were getting themselves into and ended up screwing the bike!

Get a Enfield since little has changed in terms of parts and service or get any 150+cc bike.
Old 4th July 2006, 10:12   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Devarshi:-Not everybody knows about RD in India and also not everybody buys what they have in mind when starting out.
Having owned an RD for the last 20 years.. or at least having had one in the family, I think your talking the height of KAKA(and I dont mean the soccer player here.

Quote:
I want to know who set the rules that a newbie needs to start learning on a sissy bike!!!
Well I guess we all can't be "REAL MEN" like you.. some of us want to live to see the future..
Again.. your talking of one of the fastest 2 stroke 350's produced.. are you on some whacky tabacco or had a bit too much of the magic mushroom's dude?
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks