Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!

Hello All,

Finally acquired a CBR 250 - Tricolor (ABS) christened 'Akarachi" this post thoughts over a Duke 390 and a CBR for over 4 months. I must state that posts by Argee have immensely helped.

"Akarachi" means Angelic Fate and the Kara part of the name is a matchless warrior, son of the Sun god and Kunti also son of Radha his foster-mother. Kara was also one of the Valkyries who took fallen battle heroes to their reward in Valhalla.

Scheduled to do a Chennai, Shirdi, Tirupati Chennai 7 day Ride in Dec/Jan on this alongside a friend on his Ninja 650 and another on a RE 500. using a LS2 Helmet, riding Gloves with knuckle guards, and riding boots. Need to acquire a Riding jacket and knee guards before the ride (tight on funds for now !!)

Likes –
  • Big bike feel
  • Reassuring to have ABS
  • Good riding position (personal opinion)
  • Seats seem firm - Max ride distance was 180 km and no numbness !
  • Smooth power delivery across the range.

Dislikes –
  • The mirror stalks are Prone to movement due to the screws being loose and A** states a replacement is needed.
  • Personally prefer a more aggressive exhaust note (Too expensive aftermarket exhaust and minimal gains hence ignored)
  • Switches seem tacky - would have expected a higher quality of switchgear on a 2 lakh + bike
  • Inner thighs get hot in traffic thanks to the engine heat !
  • The weld on the swing arm seems tacky - (Only referring to the physical appearance of the weld Not quality)
  • ts a pain to clean dust/dirt from behind the speedo - Since the windscreen is transparent it also shows
Neutral Observation - Does the CBR really need a button for mode on the speedo, it only toggles between ODO and TRIP 1 - My opinion is that both could have been incorporated in the display thereby saving 1 switch/wiring and creating another likely problem area if and when there is a failure.

Alternatives considered – Since I was a existing RE user I looked at the Pulsar 200 NS, Duke 390 and the CBR - Considering that I am 37 and this perhaps is the last ride I could possibly own - given that I had to do a lot of convincing for getting this. I have owned a Rx 135 about 15 years ago, A custom built RE till recently and was looking at either a fully faired ride or something on the lines of a naked with good service backup, sufficient safety features and reliability (my experience with the RE A** has not been good). The duke seemed short on length and despite the excellent performance I did not feel all that comfortable on the ride - Hence walked to Honda showroom and booked a 2013 - CBR 250r - in RED without ABS - paid 10k upfront. Estimate was about 1.83 Lakhs !! Always wanted a Tri colour but did not like the new tri colour (2013). The Red looks ravishing !

Life has its twists and turns as always and 2 weeks into the booking I chanced upon a advertisement in the paper for a tricolour CBR with ABS which was about 8 months old and had done about 1300 KM. Never owned a used vehicle and hence ignored the ad. The ad popped up again the next week and curiosity killed the cat - Was visiting my auditor with dad in the same area and walked in to meet with the owner’s father - since the owner was studying in college elsewhere. Impressed with the clean ride - it has covered only 13xx km, There was a minor scratch on the tank which is now covered by the Tank pad - and the registration was TN XX XX 4600 (Fancy eh). Negotiated and deal closed at 1.4 in under 5 minutes. I suddenly had a CBR 250r Tri Colour with ABS - "Akarachi was real" !!! Paid an incredibly small advance and were to collect the ride 2 weeks later as I was off for a meditation session and we believe in buying vehicles on a good day so considered this as new and found a good day on 26th September.

26th August 2013 : Work as usual - awaiting 5.00 Pm, bank in the afternoon for cash and off we went ironically in a 200 NS which my colleague had got. Got the Transfer forms filled in, usual temple for a puja and off in traffic!! Fuel for Rs.500 covered 20 kilometres in about 1 hour and was wondering why my thighs were that hot !!

Distance covered & Work Done - Ordered a "Keiti Rossi" tank pad the same night online - Liked the sync of 46 in the tankpad to the registration, got the chain cleaned and lubed - Saturday ride to exhaust the fuel on the Chennai by-pass, Tanked up with BP RON-97 just to get any deposits cleared out - will go back to regular unleaded fuel. To date have done about 700 KM - a short spin to Ambur from Chennai for some shoes and Biriyani and back ! Got myself a Rynox Rampage in black, and changed the visor of the LS2 to clear. TankPad in place and secure ! Ron 97 - does make a difference or is it just my getting used to the ride I don’t know but enjoying it nonetheless. Decided that Akarachi needed a polish and got a Eagle one - Gel Wax !! Was told that the Eagle one nano wax was seriously good but could not find it hence the Gel wax !! The shine is back but I was expecting a deeper shine though! Dont know anything about polish brands etc an and open to suggestions on what is good etc ! Also seeking assistance on a good riding jacket if possible in the 3k to 4k range !

Usage and intention - Friends and I have scheduled a 3200 odd Km ride from Chennai to Shirdi to Tirupati and back in Late Dec/Early Jan and the ride was procured primarily for that and the other rides planned across the next 3 years. I do take this to work once or twice a week and that’s a total of 20 km's both ways - Rides in the pipeline are Chennai - Tirupati (which will be regular trips), Slightly longer ride to Kodai/Ooty etc !

Exterior Styling, Design etc - Neat with clean flowing lines, perhaps the gurus can explain on why all modern motorcycles have a Blob like exhaust, call me old school but I perhaps prefer a sleeker exhaust on any ride !! I can understand the centralisation of mass theory but prefer a sleeker exhaust or DUKE style under belly ! No major complaints on the build quality, fit & finish etc, panel gas are inconsistent (minor) and the visually the welds are a sore point !! My observation on wheels has been that the centre part of the rims and the spoke like structures are matt finished with a rough surface while the wheel edges are smooth finished making them easier to clean - The middle part and the spoke like structures are tough to clean, The foot guards next to gear and Brake seem to have a tendency to discolour quit rapidly !! The problem starts when I clean and lube the chain and take the bike for spin to warm the chain slightly and spray lube again - this short ride splatters oil all over the wheels and the roughage is hard to clean !!

Drivability - Satisfied and puts a smile on my face either in city or on the highway - The Duke 390 perhaps is faster but no complaints on this !! On a free road touched about 130 (speedo indication) for about 1 KM and slowed down - felt smooth right through ! I tend to shift at about 4 k and find it comfortable, Need to learn to downshift faster though and also practice some rev matching !! the shifter has a nice feel to it - Clicks in place feels firm and no issues with false neutrals etc which is perhaps a expectation I had after the RE !! Response is good above 3k RPM's - Feels linear as well !

Next Steps – Ride will remain stock, only thinking of changing the Exhaust shield to be covered in Black or in Carbon fibre finish ! Don’t like the silver for some reason. Perhaps a powder coating in Dull Black will do the trick ! The Conti Go tend to slip and slide in the water – I have checked air pressure and its fine, but felt the rear stepping out on a few occasions – Just riding more carefully now – as I do not intend to scrap the tyres this soon and will wait to run them around a bit !!

Seeking suggestions from members on the below !
  1. Riding Jacket – with necessary guards around 3 to 4k – Is the Fox stuff available online for 1.5 to 2k any good ? the price does not seem right hence the question.
  2. The grips feel thin, any suggestions or should I get the usual Rs 100/200 grip covers and cover them every now and then ?
  3. Are the save puncture treatment kits worth the cash – considering the long ride or should I just about invest in a Small pump and a puncture kit !!
  4. The transparent visor perhaps needs something done to it – all suggestions are welcome – Thinking of getting it a shade or two darker but no idea how , Sunfilm Perhaps?
Will update on completing the Tirupati trip which would have put me through a bends on the hills !!

Thanks for the patient reading folks !

Thanks,

Srini
Attached Thumbnails
Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!-dsc03167.jpg  

Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!-dsc03169.jpg  

Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!-dsc03172.jpg  

Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!-dsc03180.jpg  

Last edited by Srini76 : 14th September 2013 at 14:41. Reason: Imcomplete post earlier and non conformance to TBHP standards
Srini76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Finally acquired a CBR 250 - Tricolor (ABS)
Any tips, feedback and suggestions on gear are welcome.
Congrats on the new acquisition mate! Looks good in this attire.

For the gear, head straight to the riding gears thread on t-bhp which has a wealth of info and good discussion going on already.

PS: Does the 2013 models not come with black alloys on the CBR now or is it only for the single color models that they are black?
Old 15th September 2013, 12:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 15th September 2013, 13:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
[*] Riding Jacket – with necessary guards around 3 to 4k –

Are the save puncture treatment kits worth the cash – considering the long ride or should I just about invest in a Small pump and a puncture kit !!

Riding Jackets: suggest you raise the budget to 5k & get a r-jays

Puncture kits: i did it on my ceeber and it lead to a tyre bulge. Being tubeless, i think its better to keep a small pump handy

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2013 at 15:08. Reason: Please do not type in ALL CAPS. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2013, 23:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

My posts helped? Glad to know. Thanks for your kind words. If you're in Chennai & a CBR 250R owner, pls join our local club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChennaiCBR250R/

Quote:
Riding Jacket – with necessary guards around 3 to 4k – Is the Fox stuff available online for 1.5 to 2k any good ? the price does not seem right hence the question
Yes, Fake FOX riding gears are available on eBay. Again, if you're in Chennai & need riding gears, visit the one & only www.spartanprogear.com in ECR. Owner is a biker himself & knows stuffs inside out.

Quote:
The grips feel thin, any suggestions or should I get the usual Rs 100/200 grip covers and cover them every now and then ?
My sincere suggestion - save money & get used to it

Quote:
Are the save puncture treatment kits worth the cash – considering the long ride or should I just about invest in a Small pump and a puncture kit !!
Very much; few days ago puncture kits with tools were available at HVK Store for Rs 135; bang value for money. Because to fix one puncture strip the tire guys charge nothing less than Rs 50 & the box has about 6 strips. Small pump, try & get one from US or Japan, they're really awesome. Something like this...

Quote:
The transparent visor perhaps needs something done to it – all suggestions are welcome – Thinking of getting it a shade or two darker but no idea how , Sunfilm Perhaps?
Dark visor for CBR 250R? Something like this?

Last edited by aargee : 16th September 2013 at 00:06.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:19   #6
BHPian

Re: Akarachi - Honda CBR250 - Tricolor (ABS) - Comes home!

Hello All,

Abinav - Yes you are absolutely right, with the 2013 models with black wheels and a black exhaust, the ride is a 2012 and hence the difference in color, I intend to get the 2013 exhaust covers in black and have them on.

Salunke & Argee - Yes will get the pump perhaps from the US, someone or the other keeps coming from there anyways - I was of the impression that only electric pumps will be able to cater to 29/30 psi ! was not aware that foot pumps could work - Thanks for the help

About the gear, Yes heard of spartan , the owner reportedly is on a HD now - got the info from a few other friends who are on a HD as well, Upto 5k is good - Will check our spartan and also when I visit Pune will visit Planet DSG as well to see what come up. Bout the Puig Screen, not a fan of the design per se - Will either attempt to black out the OEM screen with something like what is used to blacken tail lights or leave them the way they are !!

Thanks for the invite on facebook Argee - Yes I am from Chennai but sadly not on facebook. Only on Linkedin and Team-Bhp - Nothing else !! Would love to join you guys for a ride - do let me know if I can subscribe to a news letter or something and I will PM my mail id to you.

Thanks,

Srini
Old 13th November 2013, 15:28   #7
BHPian

Re: Akarachi: Honda CBR250 Tricolor (ABS) comes home!

Hello,

As mentioned in the earlier posts the 3800+ km ride is starting in the 2nd week of Jan. Requesting advice from the gurus on the below mentioned - This would be our 1st LONG ride in a sense as we have only done 1500 km (both ways) tops till now.

Planning to switch to Synthetic Oil - The bike has done about 2500 km to date - Also want to run the bike for about 500 Km's before embarking on the ride post a 2500 KM service, chain lube etc. I read someplace that synthetic oil causes clutch slippage, more so in engines which use unit sort of construction. Would this be right ? I am also presuming that semi-synth or mineral oil will almost about be the same (yes, my presumptions could be way off). We are targeting about 500 to 600 km a day.

We intend to carry a spare throttle and clutch cable - Just in case.

No additional electrical equipment (horns, lights etc) on the ride and Akarachi is completely stock. Puncture kits will be carried as will be a foot pump.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards,

Srinivas
Old 13th November 2013, 16:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Planning to switch to Synthetic Oil - The bike has done about 2500 km to date -. I read someplace that synthetic oil causes clutch slippage, more so in engines which use unit sort of construction. Would this be right ? I am also presuming that semi-synth or mineral oil will almost about be the same (yes, my presumptions could be way off).

Best Regards,

Srinivas
Are you still using mineral oil ? I thought CBR250R came with 10w30 full synthetic oil . Please correct me if I am wrong.
I was using shell semi synthetic oil (10w40) on my cbz xtreme , and a lot of people advised me not use shell semi synthetic oil. Reason being it is too thick and can damage the engine bore head.

I was under the impression that honda always used their 10w30 full synthetic oil for CBR 250r
Old 13th November 2013, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to switch to Synthetic Oil - The bike has done about 2500 km to date - Also want to run the bike for about 500 Km's before embarking on the ride post a 2500 KM service, chain lube etc. I read someplace that synthetic oil causes clutch slippage, more so in engines which use unit sort of construction. Would this be right ? I am also presuming that semi-synth or mineral oil will almost about be the same (yes, my presumptions could be way off). We are targeting about 500 to 600 km a day.

We intend to carry a spare throttle and clutch cable - Just in case.

No additional electrical equipment (horns, lights etc) on the ride and Akarachi is completely stock. Puncture kits will be carried as will be a foot pump.

Best Regards,

Srinivas
As far as i know it is full synthetic used in CBR.

Second, you need not carry the throttle cable, very very rare to snap. Do carry the left and right levers, very important. Carry Chain slider.
Old 13th November 2013, 20:37   #10
BHPian

Anant & RK_Sans,

Thanks for the inputs, i was not aware that they came with synthetic lube, I was of the impression that since it was costlier the service would tend to use mineral oil - My Bad -

Yes, noted on the levers and the chain slider, just curious - does the chain slider come as default with the ride ? I seriously need to look it up first thing in the morning - Just did a google for the pics and will update post my viewing !!

Thanks folks - Any other tips are welcome as well.

Best Regards,

Srini

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks