Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:38   #166
BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Man, this is too much! 10 - 11k would be acceptable somewhat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
RC book, Insurance papers, big wide grin.....
The last one comes free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Posted a checklist for delivery on the ktm launch thread.

Pl have a look & comment
Good list Sridhu!
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:14   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
If the entire radiator gets replaced would it not be possible for it to have all the above already as a part of it.
Assuming digital (binary) control, at the very least will need an extra control signal (Dir) from the ECU. So change in wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Would make sense to have a pair of fans then innit?
One with the blades set for blowing air 'out' and the other 'in'.
How do you disable one set selectively (or move it out of the airstream)?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:03   #168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Assuming digital (binary) control, at the very least will need an extra control signal (Dir) from the ECU. So change in wiring.

How do you disable one set selectively (or move it out of the airstream)?

Regards
Sutripta
Here is what I think is happening .

When the speeds are low , the fan kicks in and throws hot air front .
When the bike picks up speed , the air stream ,due to fast moving bike , cools the radiator and no fan is required to run at high speeds .So basically the fan is set to run at only one direction .Only if some one can confirm this !
Old 4th October 2013, 13:18   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

When the bike picks up speed , the air stream ,due to fast moving bike , cools the radiator and no fan is required to run at high speeds .So basically the fan is set to run at only one direction .Only if some one can confirm this !
this seems to be the most probable implementation. When in move the air pushed over the radiator should provide sufficient cooling. When in motion the fan will mostly act as a windmill(rotating due to wind flowing over the wings)? It will be difficult to check that unless somebody puts a go-pro behind the fan and records it
Old 4th October 2013, 14:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Guys, wind flowing over the radiator while the bike is on the move, without active cooling by a fan PULLING air from the front THROUGH the radiator via suction action is never going to be enough for a liquid cooled bike, unless you have a radiator the size of a truck.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:

No. That's not what's happening. The fan indeed runs in both directions. Below 9kmph it is counter-clockwise, from 9 to 11 Kmph there is no current given to the fan so that it can catch some breath, beyond 11Kmph it runs in clockwise direction.

So the question to the service engineer was - If the speedo is conked and the ECU doesn't get the speed of the vehicle input, then it will think the vehicle is stand-still. The fan will be running in counter-clockwise direction. So if the vehicle is running fast, then the wind will resist the fan movement - won't this fry the fan motor? - His answer was yes.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:57   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

No. That's not what's happening. The fan indeed runs in both directions. Below 9kmph it is counter-clockwise, from 9 to 11 Kmph there is no current given to the fan so that it can catch some breath, beyond 11Kmph it runs in clockwise direction.

So the question to the service engineer was - If the speedo is conked and the ECU doesn't get the speed of the vehicle input, then it will think the vehicle is stand-still. The fan will be running in counter-clockwise direction. So if the vehicle is running fast, then the wind will resist the fan movement - won't this fry the fan motor? - His answer was yes.
Makes no sense, this explanation.

A design which might cause bigger damage to the ride just to avoid some hot air hitting the riders legs.

And what is with the fan shutting down from 9-11 kmph, that means the fan would be stopped for a millisecond usually.
If I am accelarating then the fan goes from rotating in one direction to another in less than a tenth of a second. Is that even possible?

Or if you have the bad luck to be stuck at that speed for a couple of mins in traffic then what happens to engine cooling?

Too many questions, too few answers.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:49   #173
BHPian

Guys I think we all should just switch on the fan, and let some cool air cool our heads. This fan issue has been going on for sometime and has been spoiling the image for what in my mind is a frankly brilliant and mouthwateringly tasty buy right now. THAT BIKE at 2.13 Lakhs OTR Bangalore is the best deal bangalore has ever seen after the dominos 1 on 1 wednesday offer came along.
Seriously, I think we all can live with a little hot air warming our feet, keeping our feet more agile while riding!

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 4th October 2013 at 15:53.
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, I think we all can live with a little hot air warming our feet, keeping our feet more agile while riding!
Preetam...this is what happens when KTM delays delivery. And if this spoils sales, they deserve it.

They have delayed delivery over 90 days for many. And the worst part is these bikes are manufactured in India and the first whole lots where shipped to outside India.

KTM and Bajaj basically screwed up and they deserve some negative media.

On the other hand, those who have the bike are too busy riding not worrying about these issues.

The fan to me definitely switches on when the bike is stationary. After it moves, i am trying to keep the maniac in control that i am currently caring less on what can happen.
Old 4th October 2013, 19:44   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post

Makes no sense, this explanation.
I'm merely writing down what I could find out from a few discussions. If it doesn't make sense to you, why don't you find stuff yourself and enlighten us?
Old 4th October 2013, 20:07   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

If it doesn't make sense to you, why don't you find stuff yourself and enlighten us?
Hey dude,
No hard feelings please. I was just giving my opinion.
I have been searching too but am yet to get any proper info. It seems it's only a few of us who are remotely interested in such details.
I will share any info that I can get.
Old 4th October 2013, 20:29   #177
Senior - BHPian

Well what I have seen is that when I cross 9 kmph the fan stops. It takes a while before it comes back on in the opposite direction a good minute at least.
Old 4th October 2013, 21:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the bike picks up speed , the air stream ,due to fast moving bike , cools the radiator and no fan is required to run at high speeds .So basically the fan is set to run at only one direction .
Hi,
Others have replied, but still adding my two bits.

Engines tend to overheat under two conditions:- stuck in traffic, and under high/ full power runs. Having an electric fan, but not being able to use it under one of these conditions would, IMO, be a criminally bad design choice.

Will be intriguing to see if this is now being also implemented in the latest 200s.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th October 2013, 07:45   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
They have delayed delivery over 90 days for many. And the worst part is these bikes are manufactured in India and the first whole lots where shipped to outside India.

KTM and Bajaj basically screwed up and they deserve some negative media.

On the other hand, those who have the bike are too busy riding not worrying about these issues.
VW2010, I completely understand where all of that is coming from. I have had similar experiences before and I know exactly how it feels. Whatever I wrote was on a lighter vein just to cheer up an otherwise orange with gloom thread!
Old 5th October 2013, 09:57   #180
BHPian

On reading Sriram's and added_flavor's posts, it's clear that KTM seem to be replacing the engine oil to a fully synth option from Motul.

This seems to go against the age-old logic of using a mineral oil to promote the running-run of a new engine till the time the engine surfaces have properly bedded-in at which a point a switch to fully synt is suggested:
-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/17917-article-synthetic-oil-vs-mineral-oil-256.html#post306829

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks