Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 09:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa-i : Ready to Fly

Another FE update - FE is still in the range of 45 kmpl in Bangalore's heavy traffic.

For the first 500 kms, I rode the scooter like a gentleman, with no sudden acceleration or braking. But after the 2nd free service, I rode the scooter like a maniac, with lot of sudden acceleration and braking. (I accelerate fast, but do not overspeed beyond 50 kmph)

Inspite of the aggressive driving style, the FE remains the same. I am surprised. Does the FE of automatic vehicles not depend on driving style ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Try this the next time -- Leave the ignition in off position, don't pull the choke. Kick the scoot for about 5-6 times. Then use the choke and try starting. This might help.
Thanks for the tip, it really works.

One new problem has cropped up since yesterday. The engine is stalling as soon as I let go of the throttle. I do idle the scooter with choke for 10-15 seconds after kick starting it in the morning or evening if the scooter has been lying unused for more than 8 hours.

Is this happening because of the winter weather, or do I need to get the idling setting adjusted ?

Rohan
Old 11th December 2013, 23:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the tip, it really works.
One new problem has cropped up since yesterday. The engine is stalling as soon as I let go of the throttle. I do idle the scooter with choke for 10-15 seconds
Does the engine stall even after running for a considerable distance?
Due to winter, it might stall when you are idling or trying to throttle just after the scooter coming to life. But after running for a short distance of say 1-2kms, it should not be an issue even if its winter - Unless your runs are for very short distances (less than 1/2 kms).
Old 12th December 2013, 09:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the engine stall even after running for a considerable distance?
Due to winter, it might stall when you are idling or trying to throttle just after the scooter coming to life. But after running for a short distance of say 1-2kms, it should not be an issue even if its winter - Unless your runs are for very short distances (less than 1/2 kms).
I observed this kind of engine stalling while running for a short distance. The fuel level was also low (in the middle of the red zone in the fuel indicator) on that day. I topped up to eliminate low fuel as the probable cause.

Yesterday I left the scooter to idle (with choke) a little longer after I kick started in the evening. After longer idling, the engine felt marginally better. It gave the feeling that its about to stall when I let go of the throttle, but didn't actually stall.

Should I get the idling setting adjusted ? Can I do it myself ?

Rohan
Old 12th December 2013, 21:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I get the idling setting adjusted ? Can I do it myself ?
You can get it adjusted at the SVC or the FNG just a wee bit. Also ensure you have run a good distance before the idling is adjusted. I think you already know that the idling is adjusted when the engine is hot. The only issue with DIY is the carb is not easily accessible. At least on the 2009 Dio & Wego its not.
Old 12th December 2013, 22:09   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there must be a maintenance cover in the luggage compartment. I have such a cap in the luggage compartment which I can remove to access the carb. If not there are two holes in the sides of the dio into which we can insert a screwdriver to tune the carb. I think a similar arrangement must be there in the Activa-i also.

Cold starts are impossible without choke. Also kick start with a quarter throttle will fire up the engine without choke. If I have time I do the second style else I use the choke and the self start. After the first start there is no problem for subsequent starts. Also cold starting has improved with synthetic oil but I am not sure what difference engine oil will make.
Old 13th December 2013, 11:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can get it adjusted at the SVC or the FNG just a wee bit. Also ensure you have run a good distance before the idling is adjusted. I think you already know that the idling is adjusted when the engine is hot. The only issue with DIY is the carb is not easily accessible. At least on the 2009 Dio & Wego its not.
Thanks. I will try to use the scooter for a longer distance this weekend and observe if the problem still persists. My usual usage of the scooter is generally in the mornings or evenings for a short distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think there must be a maintenance cover in the luggage compartment. I have such a cap in the luggage compartment which I can remove to access the carb. If not there are two holes in the sides of the dio into which we can insert a screwdriver to tune the carb. I think a similar arrangement must be there in the Activa-i also.
Thanks. Yes, there are 2 holes in the side panel in Activa-i also. I read in the user manual that these screws can be used for tuning.

Rohan
Old 16th December 2013, 09:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Update on the engine stalling problem:

The problem seems to have vanished on its own after I topped up fuel.

I am inclined to believe that engine stalling was happening because of low fuel level.

I rode the scooter for quite some distance over the weekend, and the engine behaved perfectly.

Rohan
Old 8th March 2014, 20:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

Gave my Activa-i for the 3rd free service today.

I did my first 2 free services on weekdays since I had heard that Honda service centres are overcrowded on weekends. So this time I purposely decided to go on a Saturday and see the situation for myself.

I reached the service centre at 8:15 am and I got the 7th number in the sequence. I am a morning person, so I don't have a problem going there early morning. But I had not expected that other people would reach the service centre so early in the morning. (I guess owning a Honda scooter has other indirect benefits too - early to bed and early to rise makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise)

The scooter was ready even before 3 pm even though they had mentioned 4 pm as the delivery time.

Honda service centre has recently introduced a feedback form also. I think it a move in the positive direction. It is always a good sign when the company is open to receiving feedback from its customers.

The service centre gave me no reasons to complain and I gave them a very good rating.

I don't know if I am an exception or just plain lucky or my expectations are too low, but I seem to be happy (touch wood) with Honda 2-wheeler sales and service experience.

Rohan
Old 13th July 2014, 20:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

My Activa-i will be completing 1 year this week. The ownership experience has been totally uneventful and fuss free.

My usage has been very less, it has covered about 1700 kms in 1 year. This is not my primary vehicle, I use it only on weekends for running errands within short distance.

FE update : Scooter is returning 45 kmpl in Bangalore city's congested roads. I have even taken it on open roads upto 60 kmph, but it doesn't seem to affect the FE. With this combination of low usage and good FE, I don't have to visit the petrol pump more than once a month.

Got the scooter serviced yesterday. This was the 4th and final free service. I reached the service centre at 8:00 am on a Saturday. Still I was not the first person to reach there. Parked my scooter on the parking slot no. 2 and went for breakfast and a morning walk. Honda does take good care of your health by cultivating good habits in you.

While half of the city was still sleeping, dozens of Honda scooter and bike owners had already queued up in front of the service centre before 8:15 am. If you are reaching after 8:30, you might as well return home and try your luck next Saturday. You really need to be a morning person if you are buying a Honda 2 wheeler and plan to get it serviced at the Honda A.S.S.

Till now I was getting the scooter serviced every 4 months as per the recommended service schedule. Now that the free services are over, is it OK to stretch the service interval to 6 months, considering my low usage ?

I am aware that I will loose my warranty and extended warranty (I really shouldn't have wasted 600 bucks on this) if I do not follow the 4 month schedule. But technically speaking, will it harm the scooter in any way ? Engine oil would be the key factor to consider, can it not last for 6 months if the usage is less than 1000 kms in these 6 months ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 21:11   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Engine oil would be the key factor to consider, can it not last for 6 months if the usage is less than 1000 kms in these 6 months ?
There is absolutely no problem in extending the service interval from 4 months to 6 months. Engine oil can last, no issues with that too. I change oil every 2K kms or 6 months in my dormant Karizma R. Engine is still as new.

Coming to your case, the only problem I see is loss of warranty and the extended warranty. If you are OK with that then get it serviced as you like.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 12:06   #71
BHPian

I apologize, if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but I thought this would help owners of the Activa and the Aviator (and maybe other two wheelers).

After you tire of the H.A.S.S. and find you have problems with your scooter that keep coming back even after your HASS has charged you an astronomical sum, this is what might help:

For both my Activa and Aviator, I had poor handling after about 15000 KMs, my complaints to the HASS resulted in their changing the wheel bearings. Repeated complaints yielded only marginal improvements ( a placebo effect?). I took my Aviator to an independent mechanic 'who works on RD350's only and is expensive'. He replaced the swing arm bushes and recommended I change the tyres (I changed only the rear tire on my Aviator). This solved the problem. I suspect the cost of the rubber bushes are nominal and the HASS cannot make money off labour charges, hence their reluctance to do what was needed. The same solution worked on the Activa (both are old models but unless there has been a drastic change in design, I'm sure this will happen on your scooters too).

The other problem that the HASS avoided solving was caused by a blocked air filter that they did not have a replacement for in their stores (and had no chance of getting as it was the 'old model'). The paper filter is unsuitable for Indian conditions and quickly gets clogged giving you a strange braking effect when you close the throttle. They fixed TEMPORARILY it every time by blowing compressed air through the air filter, but did not replace it. Result: Two days after 'service' the problem would be back. UNETHICAL!

Just buy a non-OEM air filter from JC road (the same manufacturer supplies Honda).

I dont use my Aviator a lot these days, but I'd like to fashion a foam filter as a replacement for the paper filter. My Aviator is still a pleasure to ride, and hope you are able to use my tips to keep your scooters in top shape.

P.S. Mechanic - Mohan's Garage - Vasavi Temple Rd/Vani Vilas Rd junction.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 19:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa-i : 1st Paid Service @ 2350 kms

Got the scooter serviced today. This was the first paid service, bill came to thousand bucks including parts, consumables and labour.

Noticed something really weird - the service bill from Honda A.S.S. does not mention the kms at which the service was performed.

I checked the last 4 service bills too, there is no column for kms reading.

Could this be an oversight, or is it being done intentionally ?

How can a brand like Honda allow this to happen ?

Am I the only one who has noticed this ?

Rohan
Old 29th November 2014, 19:39   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa-i : 1st Paid Service @ 2350 kms

Quote:
Noticed something really weird - the service bill from Honda A.S.S. does not mention the kms at which the service was performed.

I checked the last 4 service bills too, there is no column for kms reading.
In other words, they dont have a clue when which vehicle is serviced and where. So I guess as a customer, I can anyday claim that I have got all the services done on time and they will not have evidence to prove it hasnt happened. Neither do they have a centralised database of all the dealers so that service history can be obtained. They had only mentioned date and kms in the owners manual. If you dont insist on that, again its totally ignored.

Main problem is being car owners, we are exposed to a totally different experience and protocols when we deal with the service centre. With these two wheeler dealers, most of the professionalism is lost the day one enters a showroom irrespective of the brand. For them, two wheelers are like vegetables, and the customer in their mindset is a chap who knows nothing about the vehicle. Thats one major reason my dio never went for any service there apart from two free services. They arent worth a free service forget paid service. I would suggest you to get the scoot serviced by a reliable mechanic near your place. One chat with the guy will tell you whether he is genuine, or another scam. I am suggesting this after seeing horrible stories about the service centers not even changing oil properly, and later advising engine overhaul as early as 20k kms and again making money there.
Old 30th November 2014, 00:12   #74
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa-i : 1st Paid Service @ 2350 kms

Quote:
Got the scooter serviced today. Rohan
Kudos to you that you are devotedly updating this thread. I really appreciate the effort that people like you take to write down your encounters and ordeals with the vehicle and the dealerships / service centers, with such dedication about the first hand experiences from the end user. This really helps to readers like us to decide between choices. Keep up the good work mate - Cheers.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:51   #75

When I got my Activa serviced they had pasted a sticker below the seat stating the kms. at which the service was done and the kms. at which the next service is due. Please see if your service centre people have pasted any stickers below the seat.

Regards,

Ramdas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks