Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 15:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Flickering Speedo Needle

Hello BHPians,

My bike (Honda Stunner: 125cc) is now more than 2.5 years old and I am a happy & satisfied owner as I know what to expect from a 125CC bike and how much should I spend towards maintenance of this bike. The bike is used as the basic means commuting to office on most days. It has clocked around 16K kms as of now. Delivers a fantastic FE of 60-65 kmpl in city.

The problem is that the speedometer needle of the bike flickers a bit too much in the range of 15KMPH to 30 KMPH. After crossing 30KMPH, it becomes stable and shows no signs of flickering at all. Once, during a service, the cable was taken out & then re-installed but nothing improved. This has been happening since the initial days of the purchase.

So, what do you experts there think the problem to be? The bike has no other problems and has never had any since I purchased it. Please share your views.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 28th June 2013 at 16:05.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Flickering Speedo Needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello BHPians,

My bike (Honda Stunner: 125cc) is now more than 2.5 years old and I am a happy & satisfied owner as I know what to expect from a 125CC bike and how much should I spend towards maintenance of this bike. The bike is used as the basic means commuting to office on most days. It has clocked around 16K kms as of now. Delivers a fantastic FE of 60-65 kmpl in city.

The problem is that the speedometer needle of the bike flickers a bit too much in the range of 15KMPH to 30 KMPH. After crossing 30KMPH, it becomes stable and shows no signs of flickering at all. Once, during a service, the cable was taken out & then re-installed but nothing improved. This has been happening since Day1.

So, what do you experts there think the problem to be? The bike has no other problems and has never had any since I purchased it. Please share your views.

Regards,
Saket
There is a small worm gear on the front wheel which makes the speedo cable rotate and this in turn gives you the speed. Your issue seems to a worn out or defective worm gear.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 16:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There is a small worm gear on the front wheel which makes the speedo cable rotate and this in turn gives you the speed. Your issue seems to a worn out or defective worm gear.
Thanks Vikram for the express reply! But my concern is that should a gear in a brand new bike worn out so quickly? Also, as its 2.5 years now, the flickering does not seem to be increasing on anyway. Its the same since the initial days. BTW, in case, thats the issue, how much should be the replacement cost?

Thanks,
Saket
Old 28th June 2013, 18:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks Vikram for the express reply! But my concern is that should a gear in a brand new bike worn out so quickly? Also, as its 2.5 years now, the flickering does not seem to be increasing on anyway. Its the same since the initial days. BTW, in case, thats the issue, how much should be the replacement cost?

Thanks,
Saket
In your case I suspect a defective worm gear more than wear and tear. Get the worm gear checked.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 19:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
In your case I suspect a defective worm gear more than wear and tear. Get the worm gear checked.
Thanks again, Vikram. I will get it checked, probably on coming sunday and update the thread accordingly. Thanks for providing the insight.

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th June 2013, 19:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Other possible causes:
Kinked speedo cable.
Oil in speedo.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 13:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Other possible causes:
Kinked speedo cable.
Oil in speedo.

Regards
Sutripta
Thank you sir for pointing to other causes too. Will try to get it done tomorrow. The bike is anyway due for brake fluid top-up (Dot 3). Any particular brand suggestion for that? I think the commonly sold one is Waxpol. Should I go for that?

Thanks,
Saket
Old 20th August 2013, 11:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: The flickering speedometer needle problem has been solved. Actually, I did not intend to get it repaired due to my hectic recent schedules but finally the speedo went dead yesterday morning. I took it to a FNG and the speedo cable was the culprit. The entire cable assembly including the outer casing was changed and the speedo came back to life. The flickering was also gone. Total expenses- Rs. 80/- for the cable + Rs. 25/- as labour charges= Rs. 105/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks