Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-80.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingSpur (Post 3293723)
While everything's super until now, this chain issue is really really annoying the heck outta me. Any way the chain can be tightened? There is wayyyy too much slack on it. And the noise it makes while grazing against something else just destroys the whole experience of riding this bike.

The chain if tightened properly does not make noise. It is quite simple and you can DIY. The manual is quite clear.

My bike requires clutch and chain adjustment every 300 km at least. So I have learnt to adjust both myself. If the clutch level play isn't adjusted gears start becoming clunky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Added_flavor (Post 3293727)
The chain if tightened properly does not make noise. It is quite simple and you can DIY. The manual is quite clear.

So the toolkit has tools to tighten the chain or some special set of tools are required for this?

Yes. It requires a bigger wrench to loosen the hex bolt on the right side and a smaller spanner to loosen bolts on either sides. The chain adjustment can be done with bare hands once these bolts are loosened. Both these tools are in the tool kit.

The one's I can't find in the tool kit are a special tool to adjust the suspension and a small allen key to open the 4 bolts on the windscreen/front number plate (If you plan a windscreen DIY).

EDIT: Oh Of course you need a paddock stand to check the chain slack by rotating the wheel (at least at 4 different points of rotation)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3293434)
Adding to Nasirkaka when you are running low, simply add water. Its a component of any coolant and you can refill coolant once you find a place to buy it when on road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by junaid12345678 (Post 3293523)
You mean, adding water to fuel ?:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi (Post 3293595)
I must express my doubts as well, if you mean adding water to the fuel (when running low).

Junaid and SJD, you folks have totally misread the post by VW2010. He meant adding water to the coolant if you are running low of coolant. Not to the fuel tank. And i think VW first misread the post assuming that you are running low on coolant and missed the discussion of the Fuel Pump.

Hope this clears the air! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 3293081)
So thanks for your all-round feedback, really helps prospective buyers like me.

I noticed that you are staying in Bangalore , have you heard of indimotard in white field. I think they have duke 200 for rent . Someone told me that they will be getting 390's too. Why don't you try renting it for a day and finding it out for yourself ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by girimajiananth (Post 3294090)
Why don't you try renting it for a day and finding it out for yourself ?

That would be super! Hadn't heard of this place before, thanks for the tip!

(But first, I need to get my lazy backside down to a showroom for a test ride, Langford KTM is walking distance from my office.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 3294137)
That would be super! Hadn't heard of this place before, thanks for the tip!

(But first, I need to get my lazy backside down to a showroom for a test ride, Langford KTM is walking distance from my office.)

Test rides don't last for more than half an hour. If you rent a bike , you can have it for the whole day all for yourself .You can either take it to office or maybe even for a short highway ride. You can decide if the bike is for you or not. Mind you , KTM 200 and 390 behave quite differently in the city traffic (I am sure you would be aware of this ). I guess it has something to with gearing ratios and stuff.

More on the "Black" D390. http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike/390-du...ml#prettyPhoto

Looks like its going to be a 2014 launch which is not far away.

Got a follow up call from dealer (he somehow missed that I have already bought the 390) informing that there is indication of price increase on the 390 by 15-20K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 3294008)
Junaid and SJD, you folks have totally misread the post by VW2010. He meant adding water to the coolant if you are running low of coolant. Not to the fuel tank. And i think VW first misread the post assuming that you are running low on coolant and missed the discussion of the Fuel Pump.

Hope this clears the air! :)

Thanks for clearing our doubt, Abhinav :) So, how is your Apache faring? You too thinking of upgrading to the Duke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 3294008)

Hope this clears the air!

Thanks Doctor. I can breath now :D. Its totally confusing that a single bike has so many type of liquids used in it.:D

Sorry guys, my bad that i misunderstood in the first place and then confused you by giving a completely unrelated information.

Completed my 1700 today of pure city riding. Cannot believe that my bull has 0 kms post the 390 came. I am taking my bull tomorrow :)

Quote:

Cannot believe that my bull has 0 kms post the 390 came. I am taking my bull tomorrow :)
that is if it starts... :D
All the best.. :)

But seriously, even i am tempted every morning to take the 390 instead of C5 for all those horses. But i am holding on as i want to complete the 1000 kms on highway, where i have control over the revs. 600kms done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3294353)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasirkaka (Post 3294425)

Guys, how do you even manage to ride different motorcycles with ease? The other day I started my Pulsar after a gap of 5 days, and the experience was horrendous. First I could not locate the foot rests in the Pulsar as the Bullet has a wider petrol tank. After that was grasped, faced issues with the gears. Pulsars and Bullets have different gearing techniques and here I was stuck in the middle of the road, when I should be giving 5th , I am giving 3rd and what not :Frustrati. Really if the engine had some voice, it would have screamed at me loud.

How do you all manage guys?

I guess its just the sheer instinct. The moment I sit on my bull I am already having my left foot down and right foot on gear. Thanks to the neutral shifter I never had problem stalling the bull.

Also I predominantly use the front brakes. Back only in emergency by instinct. So the move to bull has never been a problem. But the bike feels so slow a d underpowered though I was doing good speeds :)

I love my bull all day and KTM is just capturing its same place.
Mentally prepare and start with clear definition.