Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 20:40   #1126
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
This is off-topic, but as this thread seems hijacked into discussing mods, I have one query of my own:

Does anyone else feel the Duke 390 rear-view mirrors to be inadequate? The mirrors are fine, and do not fold up at high-speeds due to air-resistance drag, but they really do not give a wide-enough view of the rear. I have to move my elbows out of the way and struggle to get a view of the space directly behind the bike. Does anyone have any solution?
I don't need to move my elbows but it's not wide enough as in I can't see anything that is not atleast half exactly behind me. Anything on the left or right is quite next to impossible to see.
Old 9th November 2013, 22:30   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
This is off-topic, but as this thread seems hijacked into discussing mods, I have one query of my own:

Does anyone else feel the Duke 390 rear-view mirrors to be inadequate? The mirrors are fine, and do not fold up at high-speeds due to air-resistance drag, but they really do not give a wide-enough view of the rear. I have to move my elbows out of the way and struggle to get a view of the space directly behind the bike. Does anyone have any solution?
The mirrors are good and gives a good view but the problem is the mirrors are a little close each other. So naturally riders elbow gets in the way especially if you are well built person. Me being skinny, absolutely no problem at all even when I am on my riding gear. You can try adjusting the mirrors by loosing the nuts at the mirror mounting and see if you can improve the situation.
Old 10th November 2013, 15:40   #1128
BHPian

I got so used to the self cancelling indicators on my Pulsar. I am always forgetting the cancellation of turn indicators on D390. Can the mod experts suggest how to fix Pulsar self cancelling mechanism to D390.
Old 10th November 2013, 16:05   #1129
BHPian

Not sure how many of you have already seen this but, the machines look simply awesome. This may warrant a new thread, up to you mods.

90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 17:30   #1130
Senior - BHPian

went for a ride around Bangalore yesterday. covered about 320kms on the ride including some highway + country roads. odo now reads 500+ kms. A few observations:
* The bike is a pleasure on the smooth highways, and smooth country roads, including smooth twisties, especially 3rd gear onwards.
* Well balanced, very good grip, firm, holds the line nicely coupled with good brakes.
* A bit tough to ride on broken and patched country roads, as speeds comes down to 20-50kmph, gotta keep it in 1st 3 gears, which means jerks on the body resulting from constant acceleration and engine breaking, eventually taking a toll over a period of time. Although the suspension does a decent job of absorbing small undulations of the road, Its not the same like my C5 for which these type of roads hardly mean anything.
* maybe i am used to touring (ergonomics) of the c5, i did find the foot rest position on 390 a bit uncomfortable, after riding for a while. Also, the slight forward inclined position from the torso upwards gave me a bit of discomfort at the end of the ride.
* the seat for some reason feels hot after sitting on it for a while.
* No heating issues when on open roads, no starting issues whatsoever.
* RVMs have scope for improvement wrt visibility.
* On my bike, there was this constant chain slapping sound highly pronounced on broken roads, to the point that it became bothersome. Its something that took a part of the pleasure away from the ride. :(
* turning radius feels larger compared to the C5.
* horns suck big time.
* Small tank capacity is a bit of concern as the fuel level indicator always playing with peace of mind. cannot fill it, shut it and forget it. :(
* verdit: i am happy but would be happier if i could mate the riding ergonomics and a bit of weight from my c5 with engine, handling, braking, and performance of the 390. I guess that really asking for a lot

UPDATE: for the first time, went to the AUTOSERVICE @ banashankri today. Its a nice little place with a small garden with a pond with fishes, and busas and ninjas being serviced around, and ofcourse a whole lot of ktms and other bajaj bikes. I had gone there to get the 3M PPF (paint protection film) done on the 390. I was under the impression that ppf would be like a stretchable film which could be laminated all over the painted surfaces of the bike. But its just pre-cut generic films much similar to screen protectors, and can only be applied at selected, and straighter surfaces, as it does not stretch greatly. Got a piece stuck on the area where usually tank pads are placed. Expensive, as that little piece of material costed 600 bucks..
While i was there, got the chain checked. It was loose according to them. Got it tightened, and hoping it will resolve the slap sound greatly which really was the biggest bummer on yesterdays ride.
some pics from yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0185.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0201.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0219.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0235.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0271.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0347.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th November 2013 at 17:41.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 18:43   #1131
BHPian

390 owners! Anybody who's done some serious mile munching? How are the Metzeler's holding up?

P.S: My apologies that it's a bit OT.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:57   #1132
BHPian

So after getting inspired by mrohit17's post, i went ahead and got fitted the fazer windscreen. The results are brilliant, rest doc and mrohit have already explained the details. I got this done at the KTM service centre itself.

I retained the number plate as i wanted to avoid cop trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131110_173620.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131110_173635.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131110_173627.jpg  

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 10th November 2013 at 21:59.
Old 10th November 2013, 22:59   #1133
BHPian

Ok so we've got three 390s (including mine ) right here with a Fazer windscreen! I'm not posting pictures as it'll be repetitive!

Shall do some good speed runs and report back!

OT: Remember Johny Bravo?

Last edited by Added_flavor : 10th November 2013 at 23:01.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:01   #1134
BHPian

I have got something to share. Yesterday, the fuel level touched reserve mark and the low fuel warning came on and I continued to ride as the DTE shows 55 kms with an FE of 37 kmpl on the console. I rode for about 15 kms and pulled over to a BPCL station to refuel. But what surprised me is the tank got topped off at 8.02 litres. This means when the low fuel warning came on, the tank had more than 3 liters of fuel. What is the exact reserve tank capacity? Is it possible for the fuel guage to be inaccurate by such a a large margin?

Another thing I have observed is when the guys at the fuel station insert the nozzle of the dispenser into the tank, it rubs the black paint on the brim of the tank and the paint gets dislodged and falls into the fuel. Poor tank design by Bajaj. This when combined with frequent refueling is sure to cause clogging issues. I have never seen any motorcycle painted beyond the filler hole.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:25   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Once you hit reserve i think the tank has something between 3-3.25 L. I roughly calculate this to give me 45-50kms max. The FE based ODO switches on and you can use that to risk pushing your bike.

Post 40-45kms i fill around 9-9.5 litres meaning there is more left in but i aint taking a risk.

Going to fix the Fazer visor today and i can give a comparison. The CBR visor is very highly functional where 140 is pretty good and i reach faster to 140 than without the visor.

The Visor angle can be slightly better where it hits my chin(the wind blast) but having it slightly angled outward can also create drag because of the visor.

Better to have a slightly taller visor is my guess. Anyway will try fazer and compare.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:11   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
I have got something to share. Yesterday, the fuel level touched reserve mark and the low fuel warning came on and I continued to ride as the DTE shows 55 kms with an FE of 37 kmpl on the console. I rode for about 15 kms and pulled over to a BPCL station to refuel. But what surprised me is the tank got topped off at 8.02 litres. This means when the low fuel warning came on, the tank had more than 3 liters of fuel. What is the exact reserve tank capacity? Is it possible for the fuel guage to be inaccurate by such a a large margin?
Hi @junaid12345678

I believe this is because of the FI sensor which requires minimum quantity of fuel to be in your vehicle's fuel tank as the sensor is submerged in the oil. The DTE is showing the distance after exclusion of that much fuel IMO.

Hope this helps.
Old 11th November 2013, 21:32   #1137
Senior - BHPian

I've been quietly following this thread, and some of the other ownership threads, for several weeks now. It's really great to see things shaping up here, the scene is coming together with a bunch of enthusiastic early owners coming up with some interesting stuff to enhance their ownership experience as well as help other community members - truly what Team-BHP is all about

The reason I'm here? I'm set to take delivery of the D390 tomorrow. This has been a long and tedious journey. There's been a lot of convincing, a lot of searching and consideration, and of course some I-4 dreams, interspersed with some incredible roadtrips (most recently, Leh-Nubra last year). Thanks to a kind-hearted member here, I had my first SBK experience last year, and haven't been able to stay off that bike since! After a long and indecisive journey, I was about to bring home a P200NS when I heard about the D390. One test ride and I was convinced.

I've noticed, the PDI done by various KTM dealers has been less than satisfactory, with hanging connectors, disconnected cables, loose nuts and bolts, and what not. I am as clueless about a two-wheeler PDI, as I am thorough with a four-wheeler PDI. So if anyone here with experience could chip in and jot down a list of things that are a must-check, members like me who are awaiting delivery of their D390 would definitely benefit. Request your help with this, guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th November 2013 at 21:35.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:10   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I've noticed, the PDI done by various KTM dealers has been less than satisfactory, with hanging connectors, disconnected cables, loose nuts and bolts, and what not. I am as clueless about a two-wheeler PDI, as I am thorough with a four-wheeler PDI. So if anyone here with experience could chip in and jot down a list of things that are a must-check, members like me who are awaiting delivery of their D390 would definitely benefit. Request your help with this, guys. Thanks in advance.
Yes, the PDI is a joke when KTM is considered. I have been one among the sufferers. In my case, it was a loose oil drain plug, an unfastened battery band, a broken mirror clamp and a missing tool kit which I haven't got yet.
As you are aware of the terrible PDI job, make sure to check some things such as
  1. ODO reading ( KTM won't do extensive test run as many dealers say. I got the bike with 5km on the ODO)
  2. Chain slack and lubrication as most of us got chains dry like desert sand
  3. paint job for any scratches
  4. All the connectors that's visible (There is one under the seat for plugging the diagnostic device and should be left unconnected)
  5. The reflector (crack)at the tail end and the whole fender assembly for excessive shaking
  6. Switches and controls for smooth operation and desired result
  7. Brake and clutch and gear lever play
  8. Check all bolts and the oil level
  9. The coolant level. (In my case, it was at the minimum level)
  10. closely check all plastic parts for any breakage as its quite possible to happen in transit or during unloading or from over aggressive PDI by the dealer
  11. Check the tool kit, FA kit and remember to collect user manual
  12. Download the user manual online from KTM website and go through it well before going to the dealer for delivery.
  13. Check the fuel level and refuel at the earliest (Keep in mind the octane ratings, 91 minimum)
  14. Ride out before the KTM guys say ''get out''. I am one among them who got to hear congrats (I watered my eyes)
Close the visor and keep the big. I may have missed many things and contributions to the list are welcome

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 11th November 2013 at 22:27.
junaid12345678 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 10:59   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone thought about Karizma ZMR or Karizma windscreen retrofitting into 390?

I saw quite a lot of these Karizma today and was wondering if the Karizma screen is wider and better for the KTM or even the ZMR screen is?

I am going to check in their spares department to see if that helps.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:35   #1140
BHPian

Got my 390 yesterday – here are some initial reactions. I also own a Duke 200 so my thoughts are relative to the 200:
  • The tyres are GREAT – what a difference in the handling
  • Low end power way more tractable than the 200. Puttering about in 1st gear at idle speed is a breeze (as compared to the 200 when I always feel like the bike is about to stall)
  • Low speed torque is great as long as gear selection is correct, the engine is unforgiving if it is ridden in a gear lower than optimal
  • Seems marginally shorter than the 200 and thus inspires a little more confidence while cornering
  • Accelerates away from a standstill or to pass without the drama of the 200
  • The bike has not stalled even once
  • Suspension feels a little softer – I am now inspired to see what I can do to soften the settings on my 200
  • Does not seem as playful a bike as the 200 – demands a little more respect

Last edited by Ragtop : 12th November 2013 at 17:35. Reason: remove font tags
Ragtop is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks