Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 20:56   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Yes it was me and my younger bro . Had met some buddies for breakfast at Devanahalli and took a deviation to Kolar on the way back. Were you on a 390 too?
Nah. I don't own a 390. I was on my TBTS in the opposite direction when I spotted you. And its raining 390s everywhere! Today morning itself I spotted 3 on the highway and another one in the city!
Old 2nd November 2013, 00:43   #1067
BHPian

Yesterday, changed the engine oil at 500 kms to Motul 5100 15W50 semi-synth as the bike is in the running in period. I removed the engine spoiler and had a look at the bottom of the engine. There were oil deposits all under engine and the culprit was the loose drain plug. In fact, there were oil deposits in some parts of the crankcase and I am suspecting a gasket leak somewhere but couldn't find the origin. Thanks to the awful PDI job by the guys at service center. Attaching pics of the oil stainer.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0402.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0403.jpg
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:34   #1068
BHPian

Yesterday, when returning from the RTO after number reservation for my D390, saw a duke 390 and two Ninjas(IIRC) plying towards Korani by the Attingal-Korani road. All of them were on full riding gear and were doing good speeds with acceleration bursts. Any one from this thread? I couldn't catch up as I was on my CBZ xtreme.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:06   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quick note to people on how to remove the expanding rivets on the headlight panel (putting it up so that other people do not have to search, like me!)

- push the centre thingummy in (Dont worry, you will get it back!)
- use a flat screw driver & pop the flange like thing out. The centre thingy should also come out

To put it back on,
- pull out the centre post fully
- push the flange in & then push the centre post until it clicks

Just thought I will share this info.

Oh BTW, changed the stock head lamps to Phillips x-treme vision. Seems to be brighter definitely.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:51   #1070
BHPian

Got home the DUKE yesterday evening.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131102_084803.png
Views: 2609
Size:  349.6 KB

Not yet registered. Waiting for special number.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:52   #1071
Senior - BHPian

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/do-yours...nd-shield.html

DIY for fitting CBR's wind-shield to Duke.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:41   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Quick note to people on how to remove the expanding rivets on the headlight panel (putting it up so that other people do not have to search, like me!)

- push the centre thingummy in (Dont worry, you will get it back!)
- use a flat screw driver & pop the flange like thing out. The centre thingy should also come out

To put it back on,
- pull out the centre post fully
- push the flange in & then push the centre post until it clicks

Just thought I will share this info.

Oh BTW, changed the stock head lamps to Phillips x-treme vision. Seems to be brighter definitely.
Good one bro. Just a note on the last part. Do not press the center post too hard, or it will again go below the level of the outer ring (unlocked position) and you would need to repeat all the steps again. Just push in till it is flush with the surrounding ring.
Old 3rd November 2013, 00:10   #1073
BHPian

Got the first service done yesterday. Now its a mad mad machine to ride. Hoping to clock many more miles on this one .

Sharing a pic with my other steed.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131102_121627-copy.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2013, 14:42   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Added_flavor and me went for a short spin to nandhi hills . It was superb ride with awesome weather .

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_2286.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_2287.jpg
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 15:31   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Whose bike has those rear extension for probably luggage?

Would love to explore that even for a daily trip. Me and a neighbor went on a short ride and the bike does beautifully well at over 100. For those who feel wind resistance, try reaching the cruising speed in the first few gears and use the taller gearing to hold the speed you want to cruise.

Makes a huge difference in a transient way meaning, it just feels much more relaxed doing it over slowly going to the cruise speed.

100-120 is a very comfortable cruise speed.

Most importantly:- Avoid doing very high speed unless you are completely aware of the road and know what you can expect. The bike is so light that at over 100 hitting a ditch could mean total disaster compared to a bull hitting the same ditch at 100.
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:05   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Added_flavor and me went for a short spin to nandhi hills . It was superb ride with awesome weather .
Can you please share more details on the DIY you have done on both the front & rear mud guards. It looks almost like its a part of the normal bike. Well done!

Also your suspension looks slightly more compressed is that on a different setting?

Last edited by 90BHP : 3rd November 2013 at 22:06.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:13   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Can you please share more details on the DIY you have done on both the front & rear mud guards. It looks almost like its a part of the normal bike. Well done!

Also your suspension looks slightly more compressed is that on a different setting?
You can find it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2767674

The rear mudguard is a additional mud flap bolted with stainless steel nuts and bolts .

The Front mud flap is basically one more front mudflap glued to existing one .

I take the bike to office daily and for touring .This takes care of 95 % junk being thrown at you . I am happy .

I even added a helmet lock . I don't know how others lock their helmets .

I have drilled 2 holes in the foot rests ,to tie up bungees .

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20131025_081243.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_2322.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 4th November 2013 at 11:30.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:31   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Those are actually great mods considering how functional they are. I am perfectly fine about functionality taking over looks. If looks was critical i would be buying those pretty looking scooters or the CBR

Anyway, you need to share pictures of those helmet locks and all the functional mods separately so we can pick and chose what we want for our needs.

Please do some justice and posting DIY's, a humble request.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:33   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, changed the engine oil at 500 kms to Motul 5100 15W50 semi-synth as the bike is in the running in period. I removed the engine spoiler and had a look at the bottom of the engine. There were oil deposits all under engine and the culprit was the loose drain plug. In fact, there were oil deposits in some parts of the crankcase and I am suspecting a gasket leak somewhere but couldn't find the origin. Thanks to the awful PDI job by the guys at service center. Attaching pics of the oil stainer.
Looking at metal shaving in those pictures, even i am tempted to change the oil at around 200 kms. i have done about 140 odd kms on the odo now.

INcase i have to chage the oil at 200kms, will the service station do it for me? IF not, what oil and where from, do i buy in Bangalore. I do not have much idea on various grades and types of oil. Various people have been suggesting various oils and supporting theories on various threads, leading to confusion. Could anyone suggest some safe oil, and where can i get it in Bangalore? Thanks in advance.

Yesterday, went for a spin on the highway to continue the running-in of the bike. On the way, stopped at shell bunk to get a tankful. The attendant there was over enthu, and filled more then the tank could take it. Half a cup of petrol over-flowed and went around the internal black tank. With engine being so hot at that point, i was scared of the petrol leaking down and catching fire. the petrol stayed around the cap area of a while and slowly seeped between the outer white tank cover and the internal black tank. I could see drops leaking down from under the lowest part of the tank in front. Was still shit scared, so parked the bike under shade, kept the tank lid open for sometime for the vapours to vanish, then slowly rode away.

Also, checked the air pressure at the pump for the first time, and front was at 35 psi and rear at 38. So much for pdi. guys, do check the pressure once after the delivery, as it may not be set at ideal.

The bike makes that infamous 'thud' sound on almost every second surface undulation. The sound is more prominent in higher gears. Anyone is found any solution, or we gotta live with it?
Old 4th November 2013, 11:49   #1080
Senior - BHPian

@Nasirkaka: I changed the oil at around 250-300 km at the Kasturbha Road service centre. Cost me about 1800 for basically the Motul oil. Cheaper if you went for mineral oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks