Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-491.html)

I have a query to make:
Will the removal of db killer have any adverse effects on the engine in the long run?
I hope this is completely safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore (Post 5821704)
To be honest, I didnt understand the statement fully, but let me clarify - the stress is in the knee and lower thigh area due to the 15 degree bend in the knee that the rear set footpegs causes. i am almost always cramping in the knee area after a continuous 100 km stint in the saddle, something I didnt experience with the Himalayan even after 300 km continuously.

I want the footpegs to be a little more front set so the knee bend is around 45 degrees. Nothing to do with foot region as I ride with balls of the feet on the footpegs unless shifting gears/applying the rear brake, so any width increase in the footpeg is not a gain atleast for me.

That's alright! If I've understood it right, you'd require a completely altered rear-set. At most, what I've suggested you is a "foot-rest" replacement which is the de facto from factory, one-size "should fit all" type. Now, if you'd like to play with the actual rear-set placement itself per your requirement, would recommend these.

https://lrlmotors.com/products/66bhp..._2otRv-HGgAdvF

https://www.nicecnc.com/products/ktm...rvptPzYKDr1hFG

Kick it off from here, do your homework well, and make an informed decision. I'd recommend what Doc (ebonho) mentioned, get it touch with a fabricator, as it can be cheaper and even tailor made. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saikishor (Post 5821708)
I have a query to make:
Will the removal of db killer have any adverse effects on the engine in the long run?
I hope this is completely safe.

Removing the decibel killer won't affect the engine performance negatively, though an untuned free-flow exhaust/air filter mod would have some drawbacks. A DB killer is as the name suggest just a DB killer to arrest the loud resonances popping out. Check with your local laws so that you don't get fined for being vocal.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

I want the footpegs to be a little more front set so the knee bend is around 45 degrees. Nothing to do with foot region as I ride with balls of the feet on the footpegs unless shifting gears/applying the rear brake, so any width increase in the footpeg is not a gain atleast for me.

Such a huge change is simply not possible. Remember your bum (hip) is fixed. So is the length of knee to foot. The peg would either have to go really low (scraping the road ...) or your knee would come up, like a grown man sitting on a kiddie stool. You cannot modify a bike so drastically. Definitely not 2 of the 3 touch points of the rider triangle.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

To be honest, I didnt understand the statement fully, but let me clarify - the stress is in the knee and lower thigh area due to the 15 degree bend in the knee that the rear set footpegs causes. i am almost always cramping in the knee area after a continuous 100 km stint in the saddle, something I didnt experience with the Himalayan even after 300 km continuously.

Unless you can fabricate a custom footpeg holder, it's going to be a tough ask. You can do two things though. Increase the height of the seat and lower the footpegs with something like adjustable height footpegs you can find for ADVs. You should be able to use the adjustable height footpegs made for the adv 390 on the Duke. These should effectively decrease the angle in your knee bend. But you are never going to make it substantially comfortable like a standard or adv. Duke is a streetfighter and it has a committed lower riding posture.

Quote:

That's alright! If I've understood it right, you'd require a completely altered rear-set. At most, what I've suggested you is a "foot-rest" replacement which is the de facto from factory, one-size "should fit all" type. Now, if you'd like to play with the actual rear-set placement itself per your requirement, would recommend these.

https://lrlmotors.com/products/66bhp..._2otRv-HGgAdvF

https://www.nicecnc.com/products/ktm...rvptPzYKDr1hFG

Kick it off from here, do your homework well, and make an informed decision. I'd recommend what Doc (ebonho) mentioned, get it touch with a fabricator, as it can be cheaper and even tailor made. Good luck.
Vijay, I owe you a thanks for reminding me of that damn term I was fumbling on - rearsets! It was like that Sherlock Holmes moment in The Adventure of the Lions Mane - I had seen it somewhere, that exact same mod, but unable to pinpoint - and voila, our own Ducati SSG patron no_fear had that done on his V4S in 2021. I had read and forgotten about it. I shall research more on those and take a call as they are quite expensive.

Quote:

Such a huge change is simply not possible. Remember your bum (hip) is fixed. So is the length of knee to foot. The peg would either have to go really low (scraping the road ...) or your knee would come up, like a grown man sitting on a kiddie stool. You cannot modify a bike so drastically. Definitely not 2 of the 3 touch points of the rider triangle.
Thanks Doc for your video links and direction to Urban_Nomad, and Vijay again for explaining what to ask him :D. Dont you feel uncomfortable due to the footpeg position being a long time Bullet rider before your 390 came into the picture?

Quote:

Unless you can fabricate a custom footpeg holder, it's going to be a tough ask. You can do two things though. Increase the height of the seat and lower the footpegs with something like adjustable height footpegs you can find for ADVs. You should be able to use the adjustable height footpegs made for the adv 390 on the Duke. These should effectively decrease the angle in your knee bend. But you are never going to make it substantially comfortable like a standard or adv. Duke is a streetfighter and it has a committed lower riding posture.
b16h22, as I stated in the above posts its just to make it a weeny bit easier on the knees thats all, as its my do-it-all bike now atleast until 2026. The bike is exactly what it is for a reason - the legend of the corners, and comfort is not part of the equation then. I will be buying a twin cylinder ADV for my touring next as this was supposed to be my city and weekend fun bike, but had to sell my Himalayan due to circumstances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore (Post 5822343)
Thanks Doc for your video links and direction to Urban_Nomad, and Vijay again for explaining what to ask him :D. Dont you feel uncomfortable due to the footpeg position being a long time Bullet rider before your 390 came into the picture?

No I am not at all uncomfortable. I took to the Duke as if I was born to ride it. The body position and balance on the bike, and riding stance for my kind of riding style (I don't hang off like racer puppies) is simply perfect and instinctual. Once a group of puppies I used to race with (full one piece leather crowd) said that if I was so fast on the Duke, I would be even faster on the RC. So for one lap of the Lavasa TT circuit I swapped my Duke with the fastest RC rider. It was not a nice experience. I was totally uncomfortable on that bike. I remember I was a lot more comfortable on the Ninja 250 and the R1 that I have ridden. The only other two sports bike setups I've ridden hard.

Cheers, Doc

UPDATE:

Both small stalk as well as long stalk mirrors are available!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20240814wa0025.jpg

Now that small stalk OG mirrors are set, I'm getting greedy and trying to get my grubby paws on a pair of the international 2024 Duke 390 mirrors, that we see in all the firang review videos.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5822820)
UPDATE:

Both small stalk as well as long stalk mirrors are available!
Now that small stalk OG mirrors are set, I'm getting greedy and trying to get my grubby paws on a pair of the international 2024 Duke 390 mirrors, that we see in all the firang review videos.

Cheers, Doc

When I went to to test ride the NS400Z, OCD kicked in and wanted an el cheapo-mod for my 390. Them Domi mirror stalks, they have a sophisticated charm. Hence, I stomp towards the spare section, only to know the Domi mirror set would set me be back by 4500. With an unbated yet wince-ful thank you that's sure not to be noticed, I reel quickly reel back to reality check. Sense prevailed during the return ride. Was my old one broken? No. Was it vibrating no? Then why the heck would I spend 4.5k on a mirror set when I already have the Apache's installed that do a great job of throwing what's back.

Thrifty nature apart, the Domi mirror does give a mid-life update to the old Duke's front end. Plus, the Domi's mirror diameter and angle is ditto to that of international model's mirror with only the stalks being different, at least as far as my foggy eye-sight can fathom.

Go for it Doc! :D

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5822877)
When I went to to test ride the NS400Z, OCD kicked in and wanted an el cheapo-mod for my 390. Them Domi mirror stalks, they have a sophisticated charm. Hence, I stomp towards the spare section, only to know the Domi mirror set would set me be back by 4500

Cheers!
VJ

They used to be like only 750 for a piece when the Domi update came out :) But Bajaj decided to price them so high later. Honestly, no idea why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5822877)
Go for it Doc! :D

Cheers!
VJ

My reason for not going for it is precisely what you like Vijay. Which is, the overdone stalk with the hole in it. So no buddy. Will try for the international one. Or get the stock ones again (reserved).

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5822917)
My reason for not going for it is precisely what you like Vijay. Which is, the overdone stalk with the hole in it. So no buddy. Will try for the international one. Or get the stock ones again (reserved).

Cheers, Doc

A few more reasons to not go for these mirrors would be