Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2024, 18:34   #7336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Uday, Did you sell your "Ka"?
No, still with me. But standing still from the paßt 3 years. Ever since I moved to a different business unit, leaves are hard to come by and I am working in shifts. This is ensuring that Ka doesn't get any attention.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 18:45   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
No, still with me. But standing still from the paßt 3 years. Ever since I moved to a different business unit, leaves are hard to come by and I am working in shifts. This is ensuring that Ka doesn't get any attention.
Oh. Same here. Since a couple of years my Duke hasn't been ridden much or almost standstill. Been using my Yamaha Aerox for some time. The only time the Duke gets started is for its 6 months emission check up.
Old 7th August 2024, 22:33   #7338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
... Next light I'm halted, puppy comes all harried from behind, pulls in front of me (at the very front of a line of halted cars and bikes), and brakes just as the light changes green, and I plough into his backside. Managing to swerve right in the millisecond I got. His rear mudguard and number plate clattering into my front mudguard and left fork leg...
This is awful to hear Doc
No fault of your own and something like this happens, makes one angry & sick.

I've been rear ended at traffic signals twice, luckily on my erstwhile Himalayan, spare parts for which are more readily available at cheaper costs than the V Strom. Made me decide to use the Wee sparingly inside city from them onwards. Sounds illogical but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Here's hoping the damage is small and the fixes are easy Doc.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 22:58   #7339
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
This is awful to hear Doc
No fault of your own and something like this happens, makes one angry & sick.

I've been rear ended at traffic signals twice, luckily on my erstwhile Himalayan, spare parts for which are more readily available at cheaper costs than the V Strom. Made me decide to use the Wee sparingly inside city from them onwards. Sounds illogical but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Here's hoping the damage is small and the fixes are easy Doc.
Thanks Shyam. Every biker thinks he's good. A little bit of pride and ego is great. But the golden rule (unwritten) is that if you're overtaken and the guy is ahead after whatever length of to and fro has already happened, and the guy ahead sits up (or as in my case, has not only sat up but also come to a dead halt) then you accept gracefully that you are not as fast on the day and humbly come abreast quietly, and when the light shifts, and the other guy is in no visible hurry, then you pull away peacefully and not like a retard and embarrass yourself further. If you are a classy dude, you even look across to the other guy and give him a thums up or a nod of appreciation.

Rode the bike back to work, and back home (around 20 odd kilometres, fast and hard, felt quite okay. Fingers crossed. I think I lucked out that I only hit unsupported fiber. The weep from the forks has picked up a visible ring of grime during the rains, but don't think its too bad yet. The MID glass had condensation inside in the morning start, gone on the return, so that's concerning (apparently the cycle patches are not fully vapour proof) and will need immediate replacement this weekend itself. I'm loathe to replace my original mirrors but the cut torn rubber boots are a major eyesore. Any decent replacement suggestions guys?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 00:01   #7340
BHPian

Quote:
Rode the bike back to work, and back home (around 20 odd kilometres, fast and hard, felt quite okay. Fingers crossed. I think I lucked out that I only hit unsupported fiber. The weep from the forks has picked up a visible ring of grime during the rains, but don't think its too bad yet. The MID glass had condensation inside in the morning start, gone on the return, so that's concerning (apparently the cycle patches are not fully vapour proof) and will need immediate replacement this weekend itself. I'm loathe to replace my original mirrors but the cut torn rubber boots are a major eyesore. Any decent replacement suggestions guys?

Cheers, Doc
Dukes are tougher than they look. They'll take minor hits with minimal damage I have dropped mine 2-3 times and t-boned an idiot making a sudden U Turn, at 10-15kph, in the early days of ownership and the only stuff that broke were the brake lever, gear lever & crash bars. Good to know your steed is generally fine. You can use the regular Apache 160/180 mirrors and they worked really well for me. Wider, well built and less prone to vibes.
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 00:07   #7341
BHPian

Quote:
...I'm loathe to replace my original mirrors but the cut torn rubber boots are a major eyesore. Any decent replacement suggestions guys?

Cheers, Doc
That's good to know Doc!

Regarding mirrors, Bajaj Pulsar mirrors, the old ones - I found them to be near perfect. Had them on my Himalayan for almost entirety of the ownership. They definitely don't looks great though. But I've always been a function over form guy regarding most things.

Sis in law has a Suzuki Avenis. I find those mirrors to be really good too. And they do look good.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20201230_180953.jpg  

shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:25   #7342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. The MID glass had condensation inside in the morning start, gone on the return, so that's concerning (apparently the cycle patches are not fully vapour proof) and will need immediate replacement this weekend itself. I'm loathe to replace my original mirrors but the cut torn rubber boots are a major eyesore. Any decent replacement suggestions guys?

Cheers, Doc
Oh dear Doc! I think reminiscent, I did inform you that it would eventually give up. Vapor occurs due to temperature difference, and if it's very minimal on the edges, don't bother -- exposure to sunlight will vaporize the condensation inside. To mirrors, replace it with the newer ones, their stems are longer than the older Duke and is similar in design, if you'd like to go by the book. The stock mirrors cost peanuts and if you like them sharp cuts and creases of the OE mirrors then recommend to stick to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Dukes are tougher than they look. They'll take minor hits with minimal damage I have dropped mine 2-3 times and t-boned an idiot making a sudden U Turn, at 10-15kph, in the early days of ownership and the only stuff that broke were the brake lever, gear lever & crash bars. Good to know your steed is generally fine. You can use the regular Apache 160/180 mirrors and they worked really well for me. Wider, well built and less prone to vibes.

I agree with this to a degree. The old Dukes were really solid bikes, especially the front end can take quite some beating. The flexible yet good quality plastic fender is wise enough to flex when it had to incur an emergency, and same goes with the rear mud flap, provides for good underrun.

Those old Duke's front end with those big stanchions, skull-ovalesque headlamp unit, kinda reminds me of that alter-ego, unsuspecting bull that rages when you least expect. Call me old school, today's 390s are simply too much electronically-assisted, a little too blingy in-the-face color scheme barring the brilliant engineering.

Looks are subjective, but here's an sarcastic take from me. 2017 ones look like a preying mantis ready to get killed during mating. Now, the 2024 simply looks and feels like an exaggerated gym boy with a dislocated shoulder who underwent a botched surgery and now he believes that is how everyone should look. Vehicles have simply become too white-light oriented and over creased.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 18:55   #7343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Oh dear Doc! I think reminiscent, I did inform you that it would eventually give up. Vapor occurs due to temperature difference, and if it's very minimal on the edges, don't bother -- exposure to sunlight will vaporize the condensation inside. To mirrors, replace it with the newer ones, their stems are longer than the older Duke and is similar in design, if you'd like to go by the book. The stock mirrors cost peanuts and if you like them sharp cuts and creases of the OE mirrors then recommend to stick to stock.

I agree with this to a degree. The old Dukes were really solid bikes, especially the front end can take quite some beating. The flexible yet good quality plastic fender is wise enough to flex when it had to incur an emergency, and same goes with the rear mud flap, provides for good underrun.

Cheers!
VJ
Yes Vijay, I remember your words clearly bro, as I remember all your excellent advice, as I remember every nugget of information gained here. My brain is a super sopper sponge for motorcycle anf bicycle and related(weight training currently) trivia and data.

This is what you said -

"The rubber glue will eventually harden and peel like a soap wrapper."

This is a photo I just took (about an hour ago after my mad 16 minute dash home through Solapur Road evening traffic ...

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20240808_173244.jpg

Still firmly in place. The vapours are getting in regardless. Will get the new cover put on. As I eventually got the new fuel pump as well (not happy with cold start searching and fueling jerkiness and a couple of times the bike has even shut off on cold start off, once giving a lot of trouble to restart and hold idle ... after a long period of monsoon inactivity. Once she is running, she is makkhan as always. Or more accurately, a hot knife through makkhan).

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Yeah, I do not see me going for any other mirror shape for my Duke. Will just have to live with the longer stalks eventually I guess. Love my OG short compact ones that dont poke out beyond the barend weights. Sigh.

P.P.S. +100 on your point about the flexible front mudguard. But what I meant about getting lucky in hitting unsupported fiber was actually me hitting HIS bike's unsupported fiber (rear mudguard overhang). With MY bike's hard parts. Either way, I'm grateful for the give.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th August 2024 at 19:15.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:18   #7344
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Vijay, I remember your words clearly bro, as I remember all your exc.

P.P.S. +100 on your point about the flexible front mudguard. But what I meant about getting lucky in hitting unsupported fiber was actually me hitting HIS bike's unsupported fiber (rear mudguard overhang). With MY bike's hard parts. Either way, I'm grateful for the give.
For some reason after changing the instrument cluster cover, there is some amount of fogging up during the monsoons or sudden temperature changes, can't remember properly.

The mirrors you can get the short stalk or long stalk ones, I'm running the ADV ones, they give slightly more view of what's behind you and more in line with your eyes, as you don't have to bend you neck down, compared to shifting your eyes, you get the point. But the only downside of these long stalk ones is that you can't filter through tight spots easily .

Take care of that front fender as they don't sell that shade of black anymore .

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:30   #7345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
The mirrors you can get the short stalk or long stalk ones,
Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty.
Are you sure???!!!!!!! Please tell me the part number ASAP.

Exactly. Not only are the long stalk ugly, they jut out.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 20:03   #7346
BHPian

Guys, anyone adjusted the front footpegs to the front for a little more relaxed position? I feel its too committed for me at present on long rides and want something more comfortable, akin to something like my erstwhile Himalayan but not as comfortable as that.

Same question with the handlebars - has anyone set them towards/away from you so that your arms arent like a tight gripping triangle?
Old 10th August 2024, 20:59   #7347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Guys, anyone adjusted the front footpegs to the front for a little more relaxed position? I feel its too committed for me at present on long rides and want something more comfortable, akin to something like my erstwhile Himalayan but not as comfortable as that.
Reach out to bhpian Urban Nomad.

Cheers, Doc
Old 11th August 2024, 14:15   #7348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Same question with the handlebars - has anyone set them towards/away from you so that your arms arent like a tight gripping triangle?
If you mean to say the mildly foward set footpeg on the Duke 390 is too committed, people have swapped to the ADV 390 footpeg which is much flatter and offers a good flatter foot perch as opposed to the 45deg slant all the naked variants of the Dukes have.

Motourenn is one that manufactures stainless steel wider footpegs for ADVs which is a swap for the Dukes also, would recommend you to visit their website or give them a quick call to get your queries solved.

It perhaps might feel bit awkward initially, but the feeling shall settle. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 17:53   #7349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, anyone adjusted the front footpegs to the front for a little more relaxed position?
Check this thread out ... including his videos. You may find what you need. He had converted his Duke 390 Gen 1 into a dirt bike and even raced rallies with it (Raid, SJOBA). I remember the peg mods were one of his earliest mods.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ps-advice.html (Offroad Riding - Tips & Advice)

Correction : It's Urban_Nomad

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th August 2024 at 17:55.
Old 12th August 2024, 21:34   #7350
BHPian

Quote:
If you mean to say the mildly foward set footpeg on the Duke 390 is too committed, people have swapped to the ADV 390 footpeg which is much flatter and offers a good flatter foot perch as opposed to the 45deg slant all the naked variants of the Dukes have.
To be honest, I didnt understand the statement fully, but let me clarify - the stress is in the knee and lower thigh area due to the 15 degree bend in the knee that the rear set footpegs causes. i am almost always cramping in the knee area after a continuous 100 km stint in the saddle, something I didnt experience with the Himalayan even after 300 km continuously.

I want the footpegs to be a little more front set so the knee bend is around 45 degrees. Nothing to do with foot region as I ride with balls of the feet on the footpegs unless shifting gears/applying the rear brake, so any width increase in the footpeg is not a gain atleast for me.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 12th August 2024 at 21:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks