Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2024, 10:50   #7276
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Speedo cover is crucial as it traps water inside and messes up the speedo unit real quick.
Will change it before the rains. Right now I am a menace on the roads. Slow as molasses. Getting in everyone's way. Most regular commuters on that 10k stretch by now must be recognizing the doddery black jacket white helmet guy in formal trousers and boots puttering around. Embarrassing.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Kidding. Just enjoying my babe too much.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th May 2024 at 11:03.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 12:19   #7277
BHPian

What top speed do people achieve on the 2020 BS6 models(pre E20)? My bike has Apollo Alpha H1 tyres which have done 10k+ kms till date and have plenty of life left in them. What concerns me is the topspeed of my bike. Not that it matters much on daily usage, but it brings doubts if something is wrong. My bike is a 2021 BS6 with 25k clicks on the odo, and tops out at 150kph. I have seen videos on youtube where the same model easily goes till 170kph. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 30th May 2024, 15:39   #7278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The rubber glue will eventually harden and peel like a soap wrapper.
Cheers!
VJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I hope the rest of the case holds up because when they go, they really crumble into pieces
My OCD kicked in, and even though its not nearly as badly cracked through like the SET button, I patched the MODE button as well.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20240530_151849.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 16:46   #7279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
What top speed do people achieve on the 2020 BS6 models(pre E20)?
Haha. Lots of post are going to be moderated.

Anyway for reference, 2017 Duke 390 on Alpha H1 168 kmph (speedo) with 59 kg rider. Tyres should not be limiting factor here.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 19:32   #7280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Haha. Lots of post are going to be moderated.

Anyway for reference, 2017 Duke 390 on Alpha H1 168 kmph (speedo) with 59 kg rider. Tyres should not be limiting factor here.
What might be the possible reasons for my bike's comparatively sluggish performance?

I weigh 58kgs and I hit 170 on a BS4 duke with MRF tyres. Guess something is definitely wrong with my bike.
Old 30th May 2024, 22:52   #7281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My OCD kicked in, and even though its not nearly as badly cracked through like the SET button, I patched the MODE button as well.

Cheers, Doc
Now, all you need is some fancy stencil skills with the letters, S and M written on them buttons.. would look rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
What top speed do people achieve on the 2020 BS6 models(pre E20)? My bike has Apollo Alpha H1 tyres which have done 10k+ kms till date and have plenty of life left in them. What concerns me is the topspeed of my bike. Not that it matters much on daily usage, but it brings doubts if something is wrong. My bike is a 2021 BS6 with 25k clicks on the odo, and tops out at 150kph. I have seen videos on Youtube where the same model easily goes till 170kph. Suggestions would be appreciated.
150 is comparatively low by Duke standards, considering it has one of the least GPS to speedo error value. Top speed can vary a lot pertaining to different factors. First and foremost, clutch and engine compression. Even though a clutch might perform well, they might not perform well at higher speeds delivering what's expected out of them. Similarly when there is mild compression loss top end performance will suffer.

Secondly, the rudimentary factors, tire pressure, chain slack (high slack) fuel weight in tank, road gradient, headwind, mostly and importantly how well the rider himself is fluidic aerodynamically complementing the bike, all plays a lot when it comes to outright topspeed.

Considering it's 25 clicks, suggest you get your compression checked, throttle body cleaned should make a difference. I've personally known many riders attribute to the fact that the bike becomes much sprightier after throttle body clean.

For further insights, if any, I'd leave it to the experts to chime in.

Good luck.

Cheers
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 00:01   #7282
BHPian

Quote:
Now, all you need is some fancy stencil skills with the letters, S and M written on them buttons.. would look rad.

150 is comparatively low by Duke standards, considering it has one of the least GPS to speedo error value. Top speed can vary a lot pertaining to different factors. First and foremost, clutch and engine compression. Even though a clutch might perform well, they might not perform well at higher speeds delivering what's expected out of them. Similarly when there is mild compression loss top end performance will suffer.

Secondly, the rudimentary factors, tire pressure, chain slack (high slack) fuel weight in tank, road gradient, headwind, mostly and importantly how well the rider himself is fluidic aerodynamically complementing the bike, all plays a lot when it comes to outright topspeed.

Considering it's 25 clicks, suggest you get your compression checked, throttle body cleaned should make a difference. I've personally known many riders attribute to the fact that the bike becomes much sprightier after throttle body clean.

For further insights, if any, I'd leave it to the experts to chime in.

Good luck.

Cheers
VJ
My top speed situation has been the same since the bike had 7k kms, 16k kms and now. I posted this once on the same thread but that post got deleted due to forum rules. Thankfully, this time it didn't get deleted.
Air pressure, I am not sure of the numbers but I maintain adequate pressure at all times. Chain slack I would say moderate, as I got the chain tightened some 600-1000kms ago just before I got the bike serviced which itself happened 1000kms ago. I dont like my chain to be loose, and my chain always is lubricated most of the times. Road gradient, I attempt this on roads as flat as possible.

Compression checking and throttle body cleaning is stuff that I have never got done on my bike. Will definitely check on this. Thank you for the valuable insights.
saikishor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 00:06   #7283
BHPian

Can you guys suggest a mounting clamp/bracket for auxiliary lights that's currently available in the market for 1st gen Duke 390? I want to install something like maddog scoutx or equivalent from hjg/motorfans.
Weathered is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 11:15   #7284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Can you guys suggest a mounting clamp/bracket for auxiliary lights that's currently available in the market for 1st gen Duke 390? I want to install something like maddog scoutx or equivalent from hjg/motorfans.
Clamps are provided by the manufacturer in the box for a given AUX lamps. Now, the caveat is getting those clamps suited to the real estate available on the bike, this can be challenging. On some bikes it's a easy deal, on some it can be quite challenging. Most vehicle electrician guys can custom make clamps that helps fix these units.

Depending on the size, place of fitment and bulk of the AUX unit like MFs, MDs or others, the clamp thickness and bolt quality can be tweaked by the guy fitting which one should keep in mind for that neat fit.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 4th June 2024, 12:11   #7285
BHPian

I fitted the adv adjustable suspension in my 2017 Duke 390 on Saturday.

Initial impressions are great. I have done 500 kms so far. The rear is much more settled and doesnt crash like before over bad stretch of roads. One reason I could think of is the rebound doing its job perfectly now. 13 clicks as per the manual and preload at 3. Another difference I could notice is, earlier it used to squat and never return back when I sit (preload at 2 and 3). And I weigh only 59 Kg.

The stock had protective cup to prevent dirt entering. This model has the cover built inside the coils. Still, I am thinking of adding a removable cover.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1000231348.jpg

Installation is simple. Undo the top screw and bottom bolt. It needs 8mm T spanner and 14mm ring spanner for bottom.

For Duke, the rebound has to be set before the installation as we cannot access the screw afterwards

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1000231349.jpg

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 4th June 2024 at 12:16.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 16:13   #7286
BHPian

I noticed something with recent Duke 200 swingarms today. These already have a different eyelet suitable for mounting adjustable suspensions. And they also dont have the external cover for the coils at the rear. The cover is similar(inside) to adjustable unit shown above.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 17:09   #7287
BHPian

Hi Everyone. After lots of thought I am finally going for a Duke 390 gen 2, mostly 2017-18 model. I went to check a 2018 model which was near my place. 2nd owner 20k+ odd kilometres run and all service history I could ask for.

The owner owns a garage and is well versed with bikes and has maintained his bike beautifully, owns other high end bikes like Triumph Tiger and a old Beautiful RD350. I checked everything thoroughly and everything was good. No signs of engine rebuild, no major damages, no signs of bad maintenance.

My only grim was the bike had an unstable RPM. I rode it and came back, parked the bike and kept it on. The owner told me that if you want to make sure the bike is good or not check if the radiator fan stops once the bike is standing and idle. The joke was it never went off, I checked for coolant level and oil level it was absolutely fine and fresh.

The RPM would go up and down when it was warming up like it wasn't stable at 2000RPM. I don't know if this is common on KTM as I have only ridden Japanese brand bikes which are usually stable. In idle too the RPM was anywhere from 1500 to 1700, couldn't make out the exact number. The bike rode beautifully tho. Gen 2 duke 390 owners please help.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2024 at 17:13. Reason: para space added for better reading
Old 7th June 2024, 17:50   #7288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealongkirtan View Post
Hi Everyone. After lots of thought I am finally going for a Duke 390 gen 2, mostly 2017-18 model. I went to check a 2018 model which was near my place. 2nd owner 20k+ odd kilometres run and all service history I could ask for.

The owner owns a garage and is well versed with bikes and has maintained his bike beautifully, owns other high end bikes like Triumph Tiger and a old Beautiful RD350. I checked everything thoroughly and everything was good. No signs of engine rebuild, no major damages, no signs of bad maintenance.

My only grim was the bike had an unstable RPM. I rode it and came back, parked the bike and kept it on. The owner told me that if you want to make sure the bike is good or not check if the radiator fan stops once the bike is standing and idle. The joke was it never went off, I checked for coolant level and oil level it was absolutely fine and fresh.

The RPM would go up and down when it was warming up like it wasn't stable at 2000RPM. I don't know if this is common on KTM as I have only ridden Japanese brand bikes which are usually stable. In idle too the RPM was anywhere from 1500 to 1700, couldn't make out the exact number. The bike rode beautifully tho. Gen 2 duke 390 owners please help.
By the term it never went off, I'm hoping that the fan never stopped running after it started running.. or it didn't turn on in the first place. If the fan didn't turn on after 10 mins of idle, we have either a faulty radiator fan or a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Contrary to that, if the fan isn't switching off after running we have a faulty fan relay. Both of these factors won't affect engine performance but can/shall/and will cause high temp stalling and warning on dash depending on the severity especially the former where the fan isn't operational than a fan that doesn't turn off.

Considering it's a 20k+ clicks run bike, it's mandatory to clean the injector, throttle body and air filter box for absolute certainty and the rudimentary engine oil, airfilter, fuel filter and coolant replaced. An old fuel dirty filter is usually a prime suspect when it comes to misfiring, poor fuel delivery and unstable RPM when we're talking about basics, of course the fuel quality itself does come into play, and for how long it's been sitting inside the tank too can affect combustion cycle negatively.

Good luck. Just as I say, get the basics checked, right and replace, she should be just fine, considering the rest of the bike is in good nick.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 7th June 2024, 17:56   #7289
BHPian

Quote:

Good luck. Just as I say, get the basics checked, right and replace, she should be just fine, considering the rest of the bike is in good nick.

Cheers!
VJ
Checked all the basics, he had service records for everything that needed to be changed and bill for the same too, so not much worried about that. The fan was off when I started the bike for the first time, I rode it a bit and it started like it normally should, but after parking the bike and keeping it idle for 5-6mins+ it didn't turn off, I should mention that I am from Mumbai and it was pretty hot at that time around 9PM, can that be the cause why it didn't turn off? Also any insights what normal idling rpm should be for gen 2 duke and how much RPM it should be at cold start? Thank you so much for your prompt response VJ
Old 7th June 2024, 18:26   #7290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealongkirtan View Post
Checked all the basics, he had service records for everything that needed to be changed and bill for the same too, so not much worried about that. The fan was off when I started the bike for the first time, I rode it a bit and it started like it normally should, but after parking the bike and keeping it idle for 5-6mins+ it didn't turn off, I should mention that I am from Mumbai and it was pretty hot at that time around 9PM, can that be the cause why it didn't turn off? Also any insights what normal idling rpm should be for gen 2 duke and how much RPM it should be at cold start? Thank you so much for your prompt response VJ
Idle RPM 1550 -1650
Try riding it once again and observe if the fan switches off within 7 mins after the fan starts.. if all works as mentioned above, nothing to worry. If the fan keeps spinning to glory for more than 7+ minutes then it's better to everything mentioned above checked.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks