Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-474.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5712897)
1) So the sintered fron pads sold as OE KTM spares are Brembo ones and should be better than the stock pads, but not as good as EBC.

2) I thought stock organic front brake pads have my front braking, even well into corners (yes).

4) @Dhruv to please clarify on the MC mods (1k vs 3.5k)

5) Which caliper could we change to and how much would that be? Bigger rotor too (320 vs 300)? How much would that be?

Cheers, Doc

1) These pads retail for about 2.8k and are worth the money, but they last anywhere from 5k to 10k depending on the riding style and they eat up the disc more than the organic ones, but the EBC eats the disc more compared to the OEM sintered pads.

2). The organic pads are still available at KTM for under 500 bucks, I put them in my bike for the time being.

3). The feel of the lever improves and you can modulate the lever better, it just takes time to adjust.

4). Right now I'm using the Duke 200 MC kit and the bite and everything is good, I haven't tried the 390 MC kit, but during the engine rebuild I will be getting the calipers rebuilt with new seals and pistons, after that I will put a comparison between the two.

5). I'm not sure if any difference will be there here by changing the calipers, I may be wrong. But we cannot change to the 320 mm disc as the hub is bigger and it may hamper the ABS calibration, any experts on this can add on.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty.

An update on my starter issue on my 390 (2023). So, gave the bike to my local mech, and he pulled out the starter motor and told me that the carbon brush set would need to be replaced. The set was way beyond restoration; unfortunately, even after a week, we couldn't source the right one :unhappy. So in the end I opted for the Dominar 400 starter motor with part number JF351600 priced at 2046rs.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-starter.jpeg

If I can source the carbon brush set I will repair the old one and keep it with me for the future, and if anyone can help me out in sourcing it, it will be amazing :).

It's a direct fit and the bike now cranks up without any drama. The only difference I can notice is the different sound coming from the starter motor. I have no idea why this starter motor is a lot cheaper than the one from KTM svc, maybe it has compromised on quality, which time will tell.

Now for the master cylinder, the previous owner replaced it with the part number 36JP0016 and quick search tells me it belongs to the Duke 250.

[quote=shadowrider;5713270]An update on my starter issue on my 390 (2023). So, gave the bike to my local mech, and he pulled out the starter motor and told me that the carbon brush set would need to be replaced. The set was way beyond restoration; unfortunately, even after a week, we couldn't source the right one :unhappy. So in the end I opted for the Dominar 400 starter motor with part number JF351600 priced at 2046rs.

A minor update as I saw the mistake after posting, the model is 2013 :coldsweat not 2023 :Frustrati, and the starter motor does look a bit bigger than the stock one and has two extra extending vertical poles on where the cable connects to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowrider (Post 5713353)
An update on my starter issue on my 390 (2023). So, gave the bike to my local mech, and he pulled out the starter motor and told me that the carbon brush set would need to be replaced. The set was way beyond restoration; unfortunately, even after a week, we couldn't source the right one :unhappy. So in the end I opted for the Dominar 400 starter motor with part number JF351600 priced at 2046rs.

As I've said earlier, Domi's lower half engine is ditto of that of Duke 250/390. If you can courier your starter motor to me, I can get it ready for you and send it back. Secondly, those two poles on the starter motor are simply to mount the protector plate over the motor, which comes as standard on Duke 390's starter motor.

Cheers!
VJ

What's the take on purchasing a 2021 Jan Duke 390 with just 4k km on the odo and but with only 1 service done. The owner works off shore. Is such a bike to be avoided or if worth looking at, what are the points of concern? Quoting 2.5L. The perspective owner is weighing this decision against purchasing a new Speed 400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedar3223 (Post 5716519)
What's the take on purchasing a 2021 Jan Duke 390 with just 4k km on the odo and but with only 1 service done. The owner works off shore. Is such a bike to be avoided or if worth looking at, what are the points of concern? Quoting 2.5L. The perspective owner is weighing this decision against purchasing a new Speed 400.

The bike is fairly new and if it was properly stored while he was abroad, there shouldn't be any problems. Price sounds fair as well for a low km bike. Just go through it like you go through any used bike. Battery, chain, brakes, cone set & tyres should be specific points of concern if it was sitting idle for a long period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5716562)
Battery, chain, brakes, cone set & tyres should be specific points of concern if it was sitting idle for a long period.

Fuel pump! :D:D

Cheers, Doc

Fuel pump, injector, fuel lines were my biggest doubts. The rest like battery, leaky fork seals etc could be rectified. Don't want any engine and electricals related issues.

Currently my friend is weighing the risk vs reward of going for this d390 over a new Speed 400. Daily commute wise the speed is a clear winner, we are unsure about the touring capabilities of both(~3-4 5-days 1000km rides in a year)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5716658)
Fuel pump! :D:D

Cheers, Doc

:D I forgot your ordeal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedar3223 (Post 5716674)
Fuel pump, injector, fuel lines were my biggest doubts. The rest like battery, leaky fork seals etc could be rectified. Don't want any engine and electricals related issues.

Currently my friend is weighing the risk vs reward of going for this d390 over a new Speed 400. Daily commute wise the speed is a clear winner, we are unsure about the touring capabilities of both(~3-4 5-days 1000km rides in a year)

They are not extremely delicate components. I have a friend who works abroad and only gets to ride his 2014 D390 every two years. It has only done sub 10k kms and works beautifully. It all depends on storage and how long it was sitting with old fuel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedar3223 (Post 5716519)

From the perspective of purchasing a S400 or D390, it's simply a matter of test drive, repeated test drive if required, riding parameters, serviceability network and simply usage stats. Both bikes have their unique itch-b**ch points which can be scratched further graciously. Ultimately it's the onus of the buyer to make an informed decision. In short, both are great bikes, you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20240217182912547_com.whatsapp.jpg

Visiting some out of town buddies who had come for a conference to our college.

Cheers, Doc

Just a question, anybody has an idea how much an engine rebuild cost at KTM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5723035)

23k +- easily including cylinder piston kit, valve train components, labor et al..

Cheers!
VJ

Dear 390 Duke Owners,

I have a 2014 390 Duke aka Mirinda which is facing a weird issue and that is the check engine light keeps flashing when engine is started at neutral and goes away as soon as i put the bike in any gear.

Went to KTM Service Centre to get it scanned and it says no fault code, but they say it might be due to loose connection.

The only problem i am facing is instantaneous fuel economy and DTE is not working when this happens.

Any suggestions on what could be done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5723035)

It can come upto 35k including the labour charges. 24k alone was the cost of the piston kit.