Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-471.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5706870)
Which Michelin? We have been discussing 3 different ones.

Maxxis which one? The bias ply one above? Better than radial Ceats?

Maxxis stock in Poona is very old. 2021 ans 2022. If at all available in size.

Cheers, Doc

That's a bummer Doc. Got the latest 2023 stock here in south. I can't compare the Maxxis with the CEATS unfortunately. I have come across these reviews when I was doing some research on these tyres.

https://bikeindia.in/maxxis-extramax...a-grippy-tale/

https://www.motorbeam.com/maxxis-ext...-tyres-review/

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5706742)
The hardening of these front MRFs is not uncommon. I had a similar issue in my Gixxer. It was a used buy but the tyres were only 3.5 years old (the bike was only 2). They were quite poor. Rubber was hard and felt wooden in feedback. The tyres were 2019 made on a 2021 registered bike. That had something to do with the grip.

I had a similar experience on the stock mrf revs that come on the svartpilen. Initially the tyres seemed good but after about 3500-4000 km i started noticing the lack of grip. The direction changes were not in a smooth manner. Even though the wear was normal and there were no bulges. I had i few near misses were i felt i would low side after which i changed them for metz m7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonith (Post 5706983)
I had a similar experience on the stock mrf revs that come on the svartpilen. Initially the tyres seemed good but after about 3500-4000 km i started noticing the lack of grip. The direction changes were not in a smooth manner. Even though the wear was normal and there were no bulges. I had i few near misses were i felt i would low side after which i changed them for metz m7.

This is exactly what my son is complaining off (in addition to the tyre sliding out on him once). Only he was describing it a a wobbly sort of feel (not a very seasoned rider yet). So I thought wheel or steering bearings and cone adjustment. Now reading this, something clicked in my brain and the light came on!

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A (Post 5701369)
On the topic of Scout X...

Just wanted to add these images for mounting options for Scout X.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230608_222356.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20231024_164730.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5706865)
Doc these are the order of my preference.

Metz > Pirelli > Michelin > Apollo > Maxxis > Ceat > MRF.

Apollo will be the excellent all rounder followed Michelin especially considering the price parity. Maxxis is a great choice too.

Cheers!
VJ

Doc, in their order
METZ M5 INTERACT W RATED
Pirelli Diablo ROSSO II
Michelin PSR2
Apollo Alpha H1
Maxxis - Extramaxx
Ceat Zoom Rad
MRF Revz C1

Honorary mention doc, and my experience with JK Blaze (not on the Duke but with another bike.. Destined to the bins.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5707794)
Doc, in their order
METZ M5 INTERACT W RATED
Pirelli Diablo ROSSO II
Michelin PSR2
Apollo Alpha H1
Maxxis - Extramaxx
Ceat Zoom Rad
MRF Revz C1

Honorary mention doc, and my experience with JK Blaze (not on the Duke but with another bike.. Destined to the bins.

Cheers!
VJ

Did you mean Pilot Street Radials 2 by PSR2 Vijay?. The current Indian pilot Street 2 is not a Radial. It's a downgraded commuter-tourer spec bias ply tyre that's made in sizes ranging from 80 to 150 section. It is P rated (150kph) compared to the minimum of S rating that is found on the MRFs and Maxxis. Not sure if they rank above the solid W rated Alpha H1s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5707821)
Did you mean Pilot Street Radials 2 by PSR2 Vijay?. The current Indian pilot Street 2 is not a Radial. It's a downgraded commuter-tourer spec bias ply tyre that's made in sizes ranging from 80 to 150 section. It is P rated (150kph) compared to the minimum of S rating that is found on the MRFs and Maxxis. Not sure if they rank above the solid W rated Alpha H1s.

Yup! Actually, Michelin has different tire dichotomy with the same Pilot Street moniker. Some sizes like 110/70 offered with different thread patterns are bias-ply instead of radials yet carry the same name. The Michelin Pilot Street Radial I am talking about is proper radial Metz-ish thread pattern and not a bias ply. Well, bias ply wouldn't do any harm though, albeit costing peanuts when compared to a high performing radial.

With the caveat emptor, the above tire classification is "per me" barring the Maxxis and Timsun and what not which I didn't get a chance to fully exploit.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5707821)

No he means the original wavy tread Pilot Street Radial 2. I think. Even if those, the Apollo H1s by all (well, most) accounts are superior.

The intersting grading for me was the bias ply Maxxis Extramaxx over the Ceat Zoom Rad X1 radials. Only issue is, no Maxxis available with anyone here currently. Or 2 year old stock.

How do you guys feel about ordering tyres online? There us really no way of checking the date if manufacture till you actually get the tyre.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5707825)
No he means the original wavy tread Pilot Street Radial 2. I think. Even if those, the Apollo H1s by all (well, most) accounts are superior.

The intersting grading for me was the bias ply Maxxis Extramaxx over the Ceat Zoom Rad X1 radials. Only issue is, no Maxxis available with anyone here currently. Or 2 year old stock.

How do you guys feel about ordering tyres online? There us really no way of checking the date if manufacture till you actually get the tyre.

Cheers, Doc

I have bought tyres online before. It can be a mixed bag and depends on the seller's integrity. Amazon and Flipkart can be a gamble as the seller might send you old stock tyres. There is no way to communicate with the seller either. That said, the two tyres I got back in 2020 for the Duke were within 6 months from the date of manufacture.

There are other reputed tyre shops who ship tyres and they often have their own websites or social media handles. You can enquire them the manufacturing dates of the tyres they have through whatsapp or instagram/facebook DMs. The Torque Block guys for example responded to me promptly. But I ended up getting the tyres from MOTO AVENUE guys based out in KL.

It is easier to get warranty and support if you buy locally though. Unless there is a significant saving online, offline is preferable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5707833)

It is easier to get warranty and support if you buy locally though. Unless there is a significant saving online, offline is preferable.

This is exactly my thinking too. Thanks for confirming. :thumbs up

Cheers, Doc

https://motoringworld.in/bike-featur...kes-of-hazard/

The 3 generations of the Duke, out on the road together. A nice photoshoot.

Cheers, Doc

On the topic of tyres

Ceat has launched W rated Sportard tyres

https://www.ceat.com/campaign/bike-t...rtrad.html#4x4

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot-20240129-201524.jpg

270 kmph rated? WOW! Next question (with the size on offer) ... Why?

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5709007)
270 kmph rated? WOW! Next question (with the size on offer) ... Why?

Cheers, Doc

As to the why doc,

Exactly why I saved this page as a bookmark a while ago, came in handy at the right time. Have added my bits to this too. Thank you for piquing my brain all the time. :D

How's it calculated?
Tire speed rating is not like a speed limit posted on highway signs. It’s based on lab simulations and doesn’t account for real-life factors that determine true tire capabilities, such as proper tire inflation, wheel and tire balance, vehicle alignment, tire tread, weather, and other conditions.

Does Tire Speed Rating Affect Your Driving and Tread Life?
Tires with higher speed ratings offer handling benefits, but there are tradeoffs. Since they’re usually made with softer rubber compounds and stiffer construction, they offer better cornering, stopping power and steering response. However, there can be less ride comfort, lower performance in cold conditions, and shorter tread life. The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the tire carcass is, and the harder the ride. The rubber compound is softer, meaning less tire life.

Source/MyBookmark: https://www.lesschwab.com/article/ti...t-matters.html

Cheers!
VJ

Did valve clearance check on my bike at 15008 kms. All 4 valves were tight.
Both exhaust valves were at 0.12mm standard clearance should be 0.15 to 0.20mm.
Inlet was at 0.09mm and 0.08mm standard being 0.1 to 0.15mm.

I set both exhaust valves to 0.17mm and inlets to 0.15 and 0.14mm. Also replaced the chain tensioner with a new one as a preventive measure. The bike has since done about 100kms.

So what changed after the valve clearance adjustment?
As far as i can tell the only significant difference is in the way the bike starts now. It starts much quicker and with lesser turns of the crank with cold or warm the cranking and starting is very consistent. Before it would take little more time to start. No difference in performance was observed I judge this by how much the bike does in 3rd gear before the rev limiter cuts off and that’s 101kph with 45 tooth rear sprocket (it used to do 104 with 44 tooth sprocket). Bike does feel a little smooth but i feel it could just be placebo effect.