Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 11:06   #6976
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Sorry for replying to such an old post, just caught my eye.

Yearly maintenance at 5k seems too less, even if you do 2 services a year, the bill will come to 7-8k. My ADV250 had its 3rd service a week ago and I was just adding up the bills at the ASC till date (10.5 months since buying). Amounts to a staggering Rs. 9,280 in just services for a 250cc bike, and this is excluding labour for the 3 services because those were free. Of course, my running is a little high but even if that wasn't the case, 2 services a year (including labour cost for a 6 year old bike) would be much higher than 5k.
With my running being closer to 3000 kilometres per year, there's no way I'm taking my Duke to the service centre twice a year. The low running, and being occupied with other vehicles, was the reason I was considering selling. Plus the service centre is around 100 kilometres away, so servicing become a whole thing, consuming an entire day. I might do an oil change at home if I go over 5000kms but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.
pepega is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:46   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
With my running being closer to 3000 kilometres per year, there's no way I'm taking my Duke to the service centre twice a year. The low running, and being occupied with other vehicles, was the reason I was considering selling. Plus the service centre is around 100 kilometres away, so servicing become a whole thing, consuming an entire day. I might do an oil change at home if I go over 5000kms but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.
There was a big KTM setup about 45 km outside Goa in 2012 when I rode Bab Duke 222 there. Not there now?

Off the main highway to the right, headed south as I recall.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1020390.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1020389.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1020391.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1020392.jpg

This was 2 weeks before the official India launch of the Duke 200.

Sitara?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 29th December 2023 at 11:51.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 13:24   #6978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There was a big KTM setup about 45 km outside Goa in 2012 when I rode Bab Duke 222 there. Not there now?

Off the main highway to the right, headed south as I recall.

This was 2 weeks before the official India launch of the Duke 200.

Sitara?

Cheers, Doc
There used to be two dealerships in and around South Goa, KTM Margao and KTM Karwar. Sadly, both are now permanently closed. That leaves KTM Mapusa (Crystal Tradelinks) as the only functional KTM dealership in the state. This dealership is about ~100 kilometers from my house. This is part of the reason I wanted to sell my Duke (or relocate it back to Delhi and use it there only).
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo_20231229_131556.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo_20231229_131551.jpg

To get a service done in under 2-3 hours, I need to reach Mapusa at 9:30 am. If I reach there at 11 am, they'll only intake my bike after lunch. So a four hour return journey, plus around three hours for a service. And I need to wake up at 7 am? Yeah, not happening.

If KTM starts selling spare parts online with home delivery, it'll be a lot easier for me to retain my bike. But at this rate, my running will continue to decline, because I can't take off work for an entire day every time there's an issue with a 6+ year old KTM bike that I own. And these issues happen a lot too. The drain plug on the fuel tank is blocked at the moment, the brakes are shot to shit, some of the bolts are rusting, and I need to replace the belt clutch lever guard.

I won't even test ride new KTM bikes now, because what's the point! Sure, maybe if it was a 600 class or a liter bike, I'd understand having only one functional dealership in the state. Kawasaki and Triumph have one each, BMW doesn't even have one, but they sell big bikes. But a 373 cc single, nah, it's just not worth it. I love my bike but she's a bit of a drama queen, and it sucks not being able to take care of her.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo_20231229_132154.jpg
pepega is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 07:44   #6979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post

If KTM starts selling spare parts online with home delivery, it'll be a lot easier for me to retain my bike. But at this rate, my running will continue to decline, because I can't take off work for an entire day every time there's an issue with a 6+ year old KTM bike that I own. And these issues happen a lot too. The drain plug on the fuel tank is blocked at the moment, the brakes are shot to shit, some of the bolts are rusting, and I need to replace the belt clutch lever guard.
You can try this website to get genuine KTM spare parts.

https://mysparemarket.com/
Their contact number: 9769004646.
If incase you have difficulties placing order whatsapp on the above number. They will place the order for you.

They also have an instagram page and are very active, respond well to customer query.

I have ordered from them on 3 different occasions,
1. Husqvarna indicators (the parts supplied was original it had all the original embossings and the colour code of the wire was also the same)
2. 390 adv engine guard (belly pan) along with the bracket, i wanted it for my svartpilen simply for aesthetics (again this had all the QC markings on it, part was made by bajaj if my memory serves me right. What impressed me the most is they didn't have the bracket, but were able to arrange one on the same day)

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230409_153208.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230408_150214.jpeg

3. Grips for 390 (again the quality and finish level was the same as the original)

The drain plug on the fuel tank can be easily cleared by using a soft stick.
Shonith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 15:08   #6980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
Wading into this suspension discussion. I have a 2015 Duke 390 and the roads in Bangalore have taken a toll on it, even though it's hardly run 30k on the odo. It's far too harsh which has made it less enjoyable. Any of you kind folks tried YSS or Zedling? Have had a few conversations with the guys at Zedling and they seem to know a bit about suspension. It's a good 12k cheaper than the YSS ones too (Zedling 17k, YSS 29k).
Would strongly recommend Zedling in that case primarily because of their service back-up and the off-road credibility they have to offer. YSS is expensive and for the most part work well, but they dole-out when it comes to the ease of query, warranty and what not. Zedling is revered among the ADV 390 and xPulse 200 clan for their superior performance credibility and back-up.

Hoping it helps to make an informed decision.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 20:39   #6981
BHPian

What would be a fair price for this bike http://www.olx.in/item/well-maintain...iid-1561164232 ? The console has been changed as per the owner. Is there a reliable way to check the authenticity of the odo count of around 5k km?
Old 9th January 2024, 00:01   #6982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
What would be a fair price for this bike http://www.olx.in/item/well-maintain...iid-1561164232 ? The console has been changed as per the owner. Is there a reliable way to check the authenticity of the odo count of around 5k km?
The problem with these Gen 1 KTMs now is that even the really old reputed big authorized guys have stopped keeping the older service records. And I dont think they have a centralised KTM service history database linked ti registration number or chassis/engine number.

So if this is a Goa bike, and you can ask him which center he had gis bike serviced at (at least where he got hos console changed at) then there in their records you MIGHT be able to get the Odo reading on the old console.

It is a long shot in 2024 though.

But if the bike is a genuine 5000 km, then 1.4L is a very decent price.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 08:43   #6983
BHPian

Quote:
Here are my 2 cents based on the 2 photos.
1. Rear shock doesn’t look period correct, looks like a later version, one with a cover over the actuation part.
The rear shock on period correct duke is as below
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_5784.png

2. Handle bar is black it should have been silver if original. I believe this is of gen2.

You can confirm the odo reading from nearby ktm service centre.
I personally would pay 1.4 laks for a 2016 gen1 with stock condition with all the right parts including the original speedo. 2016 model had all the issues from previous model all sorted out and is said to be trouble free among the gen1. For this i feel fair price would be about 1.3 to 1.35laks. You can ask the owner to remove the aux lamps if you dont want them to get the price down.
Shonith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:28   #6984
BHPian

Quote:

So if this is a Goa bike, and you can ask him which center he had gis bike serviced at (at least where he got hos console changed at) then there in their records you MIGHT be able to get the Odo reading on the old console.

But if the bike is a genuine 5000 km, then 1.4L is a very decent price.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks. Since the owner resides near the only open ktm service center in Goa, hoping that the records are available. Will check this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Here are my 2 cents based on the 2 photos.
1. Rear shock doesn’t look period correct, looks like a later version, one with a cover over the actuation part.
The rear shock on period correct duke is as below

2. Handle bar is black it should have been silver if original. I believe this is of gen2.

You can confirm the odo reading from nearby ktm service centre.
I personally would pay 1.4 laks for a 2016 gen1 with stock condition with all the right parts including the original speedo. 2016 model had all the issues from previous model all sorted out and is said to be trouble free among the gen1. For this i feel fair price would be about 1.3 to 1.35laks. You can ask the owner to remove the aux lamps if you dont want them to get the price down.
Wow, really well spotted. The owner did mention that he is mostly out of the country which could explain the monoshock change. Not sure about the handlebar. Will make it a point to investigate the reason for these mods and purchase only if the history is crystal clear.

Even i was hoping to land one of the later model years. But unfortunately, what I have noticed is that duke 390s tend to have either dedicated owners who keep their bikes for a really long time sell the bikes at crazy inflated prices or they have already switched 2 3 owners(with the current owners being of the famed variety)

Last edited by kedar3223 : 9th January 2024 at 10:30.
kedar3223 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 14:29   #6985
BHPian

I'm also looking for a rear suspension upgrade on my 1st gen 390. Below is the latest video of replacing the stock rear suspension with WP Apex adjustable suspension for the 2nd gen 390 which involves some minor work on the swingarm. I'm assuming it would be the same retrofit on 1st gen 390. Anyone here tried this?

Weathered is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 20:26   #6986
Senior - BHPian

Just a pretty picture.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20240110202347738_com.whatsapp.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:43   #6987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I'm also looking for a rear suspension upgrade on my 1st gen 390.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5656355 (2022 KTM 390 Adventure | Upgraded to adjustable rear suspension)

Please check the above post.
advstreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 23:03   #6988
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Since the owner resides near the only open dedicated owners who keep their bikes for a really long time sell the bikes at crazy inflated prices or they have already switched 2 3 owners(with the current owners being of the famed variety)
If you want to get the actual reading from the bike, the KTM SVC chaps have the diagnostic tool in which the actual kilometre reading is pulled directly from the ECU, this is ho I know how much my bike has done. Finding worshipped 390s are a task, example: mine, Bhpians Ebonho & SunnyBoi.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 23:12   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I'm some minor work on the swingarm. I'm assuming it would be the same retrofit on 1st gen 390. Anyone here tried this?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ov1VDOa5Qvc
I had the thought of installing the adjustable suspension, but i would have to grind a portion of the Swingarm. You can try to install the 2nd gen 390 shock, the BS4/BS6 one. I have installed the BS4 one in mine.

Quote:
Just a pretty picture.

Attachment 2556856

Cheers, Doc
The beautiful 1st Gen, no one will say it is a 10 year old bike.

I don't have the guts and heart to grind of the Swingarm for an adjustable suspension

Cheera,
Dhruv Shetty.

Last edited by Dhruv Shetty : 12th January 2024 at 23:15.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 23:21   #6990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
If you want to get the actual reading from the bike, the KTM SVC chaps have the diagnostic tool in which the actual kilometre reading is pulled directly from the ECU, this is ho I know how much my bike has done. Finding worshipped 390s are a task, example: mine, Bhpians Ebonho & SunnyBoi.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
This is correct. I forgot about this. But is it overrideable?

And of course, it assumes the ECU wasnt changed at some point either

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks