Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-465.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5685269)

When i stopped at a garage in Pune, they did not have 10w 50 grade, but had 15w 50, 20w 50 and 10w 40.
Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty

Old Bulleteer here - Any oil is better than no oil.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5666424)
Any idea if the rear shocker of the new naked TVS Apache RTR 310 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5662670) is the identical unit as on the fully faired 310RR Akula?

And if so, are these units identical to the one that comes on BMW 310GS?

Doc, any update on this? I am planning to replace the rear shock on my bike as an experiment to see what difference it makes. My only concern is the lenght of the shock now.

Has anyone replaced the rear shock of duke with RR310 or fully adjustable BTO model shock?

Attaching image of RR310 shock being used on duke.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-screenshot_20230822204032_instagram.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonith (Post 5686384)
Doc, any update on this? I am planning to replace the rear shock on my bike as an experiment to see what difference it makes. My only concern is the lenght of the shock now.

No new update Shonith.

I "might" dabble with the red and gold AS200 shocker.

With my rear shock now at 9, rider sag is finally down to 59 mm. Still 4 mm off from the company recommended spec upper limit 50-55 mm.

And rider sag in the front is just 40 mm.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5686457)
No new update Shonith.

I "might" dabble with the red and gold AS200 shocker.

Cheers, Doc

I asked my local ktm mechanic, which suspension is best suited for ktm. He said he has seen people use the NS200 suspension and are happy with it (its also cheaper). Regarding the rr310 suspension he said to make sure that the overall lenght of the suspension is the same else it may affect the handling. Now this has made me take a step back as someone in the thread mentioned the rr suspension being 305mm and you mentioned the stock being 300mm in length this small difference will lead to the back end being raised up, i am not sure how the handling will get affected by this. I guess ill wait till the gen 3 suspension comes to the dealership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonith (Post 5686760)
I asked my local ktm mechanic, which suspension is best suited for ktm. He said he has seen people use the NS200 suspension and are happy with it (its also cheaper). Regarding the rr310 suspension he said to make sure that the overall lenght of the suspension is the same else it may affect the handling. Now this has made me take a step back as someone in the thread mentioned the rr suspension being 305mm and you mentioned the stock being 300mm in length this small difference will lead to the back end being raised up, i am not sure how the handling will get affected by this. I guess ill wait till the gen 3 suspension comes to the dealership.

Gen 3 suspension is one sided and lower (more slanted toward the ground). The coils look fatter too. Are you sure its a direct fit? Dont believe the 5 mm height difference is much personally. My riding pants bum area is thicker than that. The 310 suspension though is 7k. While the Apache 310 is much less. Then there is the AS/NS200 option. Or the Gen 2 option which Dhruv has got on his Gen 1.

The pulsar one is just 3.5k. That's as much as a chain kit almost. Not bad for a try.

Cheers, Doc

Okay, seems like there is some serious oil burning issue here:crying, this is 1500kms of riding.

Seems like the Duke is going in for a year long hibernation till I collect some funds. May part the bike out and store it, like the engine and harness :coldsweat.

Engine rebuild coming soon.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20231226_174937.jpg

What a way to end 2023 and start 2024.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5686831)
Gen 3 suspension is one sided and lower (more slanted toward the ground). The coils look fatter too. Are you sure its a direct fit? Dont believe the 5 mm height difference is much personally. The 310 suspension though is 7k. While the Apache 310 is much less. Then there is the AS/NS200 option. Or the Gen 2 option which Dhruv has got on his Gen 1.

The pulsar one is just 3.5k. That's as much as a chain kit almost. Not bad for a try.

Cheers, Doc

I am not sure if gen 3 suspension will fit gen1,2. Also not sure if the spring rate is same.

That 5mm difference at the pivot point (close to the swing arm mounting point) will lead to large difference at the axle of the rear wheel and the tail light (end of the chassis). Chain tension should be adjusted taking into consideration the new arc the swing arm will follow to avoid the chain from getting excessively tight during the working of the suspension. This comes from my experience using longer suspension on my previously owned rx 100. That suspension was 1 inch longer than stock, but it was close to the rear axle. I am assuming this 5mm difference will also lead to similar stance.

Ns200 suspension is not a direct fit on ktm you need to grind a portion of the swing arm to fit the gas canister. Attaching a video for your reference, also go through the comments.

https://youtu.be/9Dxz0LhhZHc?si=tEMQbIoN6XmbCOiv

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonith (Post 5686866)
I am not sure if gen 3 suspension will fit gen1,2. Also not sure if the spring rate is same.

Ns200 suspension is not a direct fit on ktm you need to grind a portion of the swing arm to fit the gas canister. Attaching a video for your reference, also go through the comments.

Brilliant share. Thank you!

I'm definitely in the heavy rider category. I'm just very worried about that swingarm strut grinding. Will ask my engineer buddy who has a few lathes.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5686948)
Brilliant share. Thank you!

I'm definitely in the heavy rider category. I'm just very worried about that swingarm strut grinding. Will ask my engineer buddy who has a few lathes.

Cheers, Doc

This is what I was talking about. The older NS/AS shock fitted without any grinding. Post 2017 BS4 update ( I believe) the shock had a minor change and caused the canister to foul with the lower shock mount. I'm not sure if Bajaj stopped the production of the older part. If you can still get hold of it, it'll fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5686991)
This is what I was talking about. The older NS/AS shock fitted without any grinding. Post 2017 BS4 update ( I believe) the shock had a minor change and caused the canister to foul with the lower shock mount. I'm not sure if Bajaj stopped the production of the older part. If you can still get hold of it, it'll fit.

Thanks bro. A part number would really make my day!

Pulsar means I'll have to descend into Sai Service off JM Road, which is a really chaotic experience. Been used to the much more elite KTM service environment since 2012.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5686999)
Thanks bro. A part number would really make my day!

Pulsar means I'll have to descend into Sai Service off JM Road, which is a really chaotic experience. Been used to the much more elite KTM service environment since 2012.

Cheers, Doc

You are lucky Doc. I was able to find the old photos from when I did the swap. And luckily enough, there was a part number on it. You can compare the old and new NS200 shocks. There seem to be quite a big difference including the nitrox canister flange design, direction of the spring winding and preload collar. The part number for the old design endurance shock is JL122006

Old design

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ns200_old.jpg

New design

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ns200_new.jpg

Comparison photo I got from a YT video thumbnail

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ns200_comparo.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 5687017)
You are lucky Doc. I was able to find the old photos from when I did the swap. And luckily enough, there was a part number on it. You can compare the old and new NS200 shocks. There seem to be quite a big difference including the nitrox canister flange design, direction of the spring winding and preload collar. The part number for the old design endurance shock is JL122006

Bro you seriously made my day! Thank you so much. Brilliant. Don't even need a part number now!!! Just open my phone and log into Team BHP.

Cheers, Doc

Wading into this suspension discussion. I have a 2015 Duke 390 and the roads in Bangalore have taken a toll on it, even though it's hardly run 30k on the odo. It's far too harsh which has made it less enjoyable. Any of you kind folks tried YSS or Zedling? Have had a few conversations with the guys at Zedling and they seem to know a bit about suspension. It's a good 12k cheaper than the YSS ones too (Zedling 17k, YSS 29k).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5639735)

In fact KTM recommends to top up the oil first, observe for 1000 kms before further proceeding forward with the requisites when unusual oil consumption is observed. Running low or prolonged periods will certainly sooner if not later cause excessive engine wear or even seizure given the wrong circumstances.

Now that your engine oil is topped up, make sure your keep a hawk-eye on the consumption level in the coming 1000 kms. The key point here is to ride as you normally would do, don't baby the bike just because it's topped up. Ride at varying speeds, high speeds, just as you'd normally do and report your observations. Just FYI, current gen bikes are over-optimistic when it comes to oil consumption, sadly.

Do keep your observations jotted.

Cheers!
VJ

The bike completed 1000KM and went to the ASC to check the engine oil level. Only 1.3L out of 1.7L was found. The SA told 200ML of oil stays in the drain bolt under the exhaust(BS6) and doesn't required to be drained during each oil change. He went on saying that oil consumption is dependent on the way you ride. I ride at moderate speeds but I don't think twice before twisting my right hand lol: however, I don't redline and maintain higher Revs. Should I topup oil and keep riding or do something about the missing oil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepega (Post 5639677)
I'm considering selling my 2017 Duke 390 with ~24k kilometres on it. The yearly maintenance is around 5k and insurance is around 3k. These amounts are starting to pinch as my yearly running is hardly more than 2000 kilometres.

Sorry for replying to such an old post, just caught my eye.

Yearly maintenance at 5k seems too less, even if you do 2 services a year, the bill will come to 7-8k. My ADV250 had its 3rd service a week ago and I was just adding up the bills at the ASC till date (10.5 months since buying). Amounts to a staggering Rs. 9,280 in just services for a 250cc bike, and this is excluding labour for the 3 services because those were free. Of course, my running is a little high but even if that wasn't the case, 2 services a year (including labour cost for a 6 year old bike) would be much higher than 5k.