Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 12:47   #6796
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi All, I have a Duke 390 (2016 - last of the earlier gen model). Yesterday I was in slow moving traffic, crawling in 1st gear. In a moment, when I released the clutch, the engine switched off, the console went blank showing a version number. I switched off the ignition, turned it on and it came back on with the clock getting reset. The trip meter retained the numbers. What could be the reason for this reset?
In the recent past I have seen the clock getting reset when I start the bike in the morning. My battery is 5 years old and I take out the bike once in a week.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:52   #6797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
Hi All, I was in slow moving traffic, crawling in 1st gear. In a moment, when I released the clutch, the engine switched off, the console went blank showing a version number. I switched off the ignition, turned it on and it came back on with the clock getting reset..
Was it JG.1.x.xx sort of version?
If yes, then there is an issue with the battery. Get the battery checked for cranking voltage.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 14:29   #6798
BHPian

Quote:
the engine switched off, the console went blank showing a version number. I switched off the ignition, turned it on and it came back on with the clock getting reset.
My battery is 5 years old and I take out the bike once in a week.
The battery is on its last leg of life. Change the battery. I have a 2013 Duke 390. Have seen it happen with my bike.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:00   #6799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I have a Duke 390 (2016 - last of the earlier gen model). Yesterday I was in slow moving traffic, crawling in 1st gear. In a moment, when I released the clutch, the engine switched off, the console went blank showing a version number. I switched off the ignition, turned it on and it came back on with the clock getting reset. The trip meter retained the numbers. What could be the reason for this reset?
In the recent past I have seen the clock getting reset when I start the bike in the morning. My battery is 5 years old and I take out the bike once in a week.
Clock getting reset during cranking is a prime indicator, your battery isn't providing enough juice for the electricals which is again a prime indicator of impending battery failure. Replace the battery, also make sure your new battery is getting charged well by the motorcycle, which your battery wala can help you with.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 19:53   #6800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Was it JG.1.x.xx sort of version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Change the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Replace the battery
Thank you all for your inputs. I will change the battery. Yes unk9ja, it was a series of numbers separated by "." I could catch only the last one - 32. Didn't even last half a second.
Old 30th June 2023, 00:00   #6801
BHPian

My 2021 390 Duke has run 152xx km, and the chain has started to make squeaking noises. I lube and clean my chain every 500 kms and adjust the slack if required. But this time, even after lubricating the chain, the noise is still there and it is quite annoying. Does this mean that my chain's life is done and it is time for a chain kit change?
I would really appreciate suggestions. I was under the assumption that the chain will last until the next service(August 2023) but looks like I have to get it done earlier.
Old 30th June 2023, 00:21   #6802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
My 2021 390 Duke has run 152xx km, and the chain has started to make squeaking noises. I lube and clean my chain every 500 kms and adjust the slack if required. But this time, even after lubricating the chain, the noise is still there and it is quite annoying. Does this mean that my chain's life is done and it is time for a chain kit change?
I would really appreciate suggestions. I was under the assumption that the chain will last until the next service(August 2023) but looks like I have to get it done earlier.
Sounds about right; My D390 chain + sprockets needed to be replaced at 16k kilometers. It starts with a squeaking noise then a loud grinding noise. Nothing will solve it except for a replacement of the entire chain + sprocket.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 10:26   #6803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Sounds about right; My D390 chain + sprockets needed to be replaced at 16k kilometers. It starts with a squeaking noise then a loud grinding noise. Nothing will solve it except for a replacement of the entire chain + sprocket.
This is the exact same thing that I'm facing. I am surprised that a chain replacement has to be done so early.
I will get it done this weekend. Bike feels horrible to ride with so much of noise.
Old 1st July 2023, 22:07   #6804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Yes, most 390's sprocket nowadays don't last more than 12 to 14k. Anything up till here is okay, anything above is bonus, anything over and above bonus, you're blessed. Try replacing the chain a brass set from Rolon or this one.

https://7aftermarket.com/products/rk...39373362298957

https://lrlmotors.com/products/ktm-a...n-kit-rk-japan

One of my friend uses this on is ADV 390 and this is proper quality Made in Japan sprocket and at the price of Brass Rolon.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 19th July 2023, 12:18   #6805
BHPian

Recently did a complete suspension overhaul along with cone set.

Old fluid and hanging the forks to let the old oil drop out.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20230702_115024.jpg

Fresh seals and oil
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20230702_123220.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20230702_125433.jpg

Bearings all lubed up
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20230702_140442.jpg

Old and new shock
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20230702_170009.jpg

Initial impressions, it has transformed the bike. A detailed report will come out next month.

Cheers,
Dhruv Shetty
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:27   #6806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty View Post
Recently did a complete suspension overhaul along with cone set.
Lovely! Your timing couldn't be any perfect. Could you please share the details of the fork seal, the orange one since there are two variants of this, orange and gray doing rounds. Now that ours is a MY2015 in question, what is the price of these seals? Do let us know the transformation this has done.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 19th July 2023, 19:12   #6807
BHPian

Hey folks!
My Duke 390 is not showing any oil inside the viewing glass even when the bike is on the paddock stand. I started the bike warmed it up, let it cool for a few minutes but still no luck in finding the oil inside the glass but there is no warnings on the dash yet. Should I be worried?
PS: the stain on the floor is of chain lube
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20230719_190335.jpg  

Old 19th July 2023, 20:38   #6808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK_2005 View Post
Hey folks!
My Duke 390 is not showing any oil inside the viewing glass even when the bike is on the paddock stand. I started the bike warmed it up, let it cool for a few minutes but still no luck in finding the oil inside the glass but there is no warnings on the dash yet. Should I be worried?
PS: the stain on the floor is of chain lube
Theoretically yes. What I'd recommend though is undo the bike from the paddock stand, let her sit overnight on her side stand. The next morning hold her up straight and check the oil level, it should read between the max and minimum. If it's clear as a blue sky, top it up with 1 liter of oil immediately and get it checked at your nearest SVC.

But before all of that, check the engine oil with the bike undone from the paddock, with the bike on a level plane, you should get your reading in under 20 mins. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 19th July 2023, 20:58   #6809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
If it's clear as a blue sky, top it up with 1 liter of oil immediately and get it checked at your nearest SVC.

But before all of that, check the engine oil with the bike undone from the paddock, with the bike on a level plane, you should get your reading in under 20 mins. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
The oil shows up in the glass when slightly tilted towards right but won't the bike throw a warning if the engine oil is low?
Old 19th July 2023, 21:28   #6810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK_2005 View Post
The oil shows up in the glass when slightly tilted towards right but won't the bike throw a warning if the engine oil is low?
Share an image of the sight glass with the bike tilted right. Maybe that can help us out even better as to the actual reading on the glass. My suggestion, sit on the bike with the bike on a level surface, ask someone to observe. If the oil level is not inspiring confidence, irrespective of oil warning or not, top it up with 1 liter of oil immediately, start the engine, warm it up, let it cool down and check the oil level after 30 mins, it should at least inspire confidence to the extent it's somewhere near upper and lower mark.

Technically, yes, the oil pressure warning should throw up, but theoretically it might or might not. Also, if you're still not sure, try doing a drain test, that's the best test to find out the actual engine oil currently sitting inside your engine.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th July 2023 at 21:30.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks