Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 07:14   #6766
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
My '18 model is on software version AV42.
Any idea on which version of software is the latest one?
Old 16th February 2023, 07:22   #6767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Any idea on which version of software is the latest one?
No idea at all. Different model year bikes are on completely different versions. Even google has such little information on this. I searched XBhp but couldn't find much and to be frank I haven't dug deeper in any other forums for this. Neither I ever bothered to ask the ASC for updates nor were they bothered. I'll get it checked when I go for the next service.
Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 21:00   #6768

Hello guys,new here, I need a little help with the issue that I am facing with my 2018 390 Duke, it was all good until last year when I needed to shift to a different location (From Hyderabad to Korba) I observed there is black soothe deposits on the silencer end, this wasn't an issue for the first two years that I had the bike, I have visited the showroom here in Korba twice and updated the software and requested Service centre to also reset my ECU mapping which they did, but the issue still persists there is still black residue that is left on the silencer. The bike is completely stock and I always fill with it up with RON95(Indian oil XP95) Can anyone help me in identifying/troubleshooting.

The following are my assumptions

1. The fuel that we get here is not really very clean(When in Hyderabad I would always prefer the Reliance fuel which I felt was a LOT cleaner and makes the engine feel responsive and smooth, at least for me. I never filled up from any other bunk since the Sales Executive suggested all other Petrol brands have additives that are not very good for the higher compression ratio engines)
2. The Air here is a LOT less cleaner (Read dust and Ash in air 24/7) which makes be believe the engine is running richer and leaving the fuel residue on the exhaust end.
3. The ECU has a glitch in the Air:Fuel mixture which is causing it to run richer and the reset could not do anything much.

Another thing I noticed after moving here (might also be related to rich mixture) is that the engine back fires during hard acceleration which I have never face in the past two years in Hyderabad. I would appreciate someone shedding some light on the issue.
Old 19th March 2023, 21:29   #6769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
The same thing happened to me once when I was 300kms away from home but luckily just once. There were no ASCs nearby and turning the ignition off and on a couple of times fixed it. My '18 model is on software version AV42. Everything is okay except the useless KTM My Ride now. The display doesn't show calls anymore when connected to the phone's bluetooth. This was a really handy feature but KTM seems to have stopped support and updates for this model a long time back. Many people on other forums have mailed to KTM regarding this but have failed to get any response.

I had the same problem on my 2018 Duke 390. KTM My Ride doesnt work. But there is another fix. Use the app "Bluetooth Direct" by Inex to connect. You will get the incoming phone calls as well as music controls back again.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 15:11   #6770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrkHari View Post
Hello guys,new here, I need a little help with the issue that I am facing with my 2018 390 Duke, it was all good until last year when I needed to shift to a different location (From Hyderabad to Korba) I observed there is black soothe deposits on the silencer end, this wasn't an issue for the first two years that I had the bike, I have visited the showroom here in Korba twice and updated the software and requested Service centre to also reset my ECU mapping which they did, but the issue still persists there is still black residue that is left on the silencer. The bike is completely stock and I always fill with it up with RON95(Indian oil XP95) Can anyone help me in identifying/troubleshooting.

The following are my assumptions

1. The fuel that we get here is not really very clean(When in Hyderabad I would always prefer the Reliance fuel which I felt was a LOT cleaner and makes the engine feel responsive and smooth, at least for me. I never filled up from any other bunk since the Sales Executive suggested all other Petrol brands have additives that are not very good for the higher compression ratio engines)
2. The Air here is a LOT less cleaner (Read dust and Ash in air 24/7) which makes be believe the engine is running richer and leaving the fuel residue on the exhaust end.
3. The ECU has a glitch in the Air:Fuel mixture which is causing it to run richer and the reset could not do anything much.

Another thing I noticed after moving here (might also be related to rich mixture) is that the engine back fires during hard acceleration which I have never face in the past two years in Hyderabad. I would appreciate someone shedding some light on the issue.
Black residue on an exhaust pipe is a normal phenomenon. It's just about the case with every internal combustion engine out there. When an ICE runs richer and cooler, exhaust residues are a wee bit higher, but they're in no way a sign of concern or to lose a night's sleep.

Secondly, adulterated fuel does cause more of a power loss and performance drop rather than outright soot deposition in the engine. Over time, when an engine builds up carbon, the sound, performance and character varies. Now, Hyderabad's elevation is actually higher than Korba, in which case, the bike should have run richer in Hyderabad as compared to Korba, which is much, much, lower in elevation where your bike would run comparatively lean.

A lean mixture will back fire causing the exhaust to spit and spat during coasting with the throttle closed, which again is normal and not a significant cause of worry.

If the exhaust soot of your motorcycle is of dry and powdery, there's nothing to worry. If your exhaust residue is oil and has traces of oil, then you have to worry. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:14   #6771
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjpillai View Post
Also, went in for some cosmetic TLC for the bike at a local car detailing studio. Costed Rs 1.1k, but the end result is quite something. After the detailing, slapped on a pair of tank pads and fork seal covers from MotoTrendz.
Looks like the fork seal covers are not fully covering the USD forks. More than half of the fork is prone to dust or stones, right?
Old 30th March 2023, 15:49   #6772

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Looks like the fork seal covers are not fully covering the USD forks. More than half of the fork is prone to dust or stones, right?
I'm not sure what you mean. The covers are meant to protect the fork's oil seals, as it does in the pic I shared.

If dust and small stones get in between the seals and fork pipes, the former can leak oil while the latter can get scratched. It's not like this is inevitable but a fork seal cover just reduces the chances of it happening. One set, costing ~ Rs700-800 lasts roughly 3 years.
Old 30th March 2023, 16:39   #6773
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjpillai View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. The covers are meant to protect the fork's oil seals, as it does in the pic I shared.

If dust and small stones get in between the seals and fork pipes, the former can leak oil while the latter can get scratched. It's not like this is inevitable but a fork seal cover just reduces the chances of it happening. One set, costing ~ Rs700-800 lasts roughly 3 years.
What I've meant is your fork cover is not fully covering the USD forks which is prone to hits from stones or other debris unlike this cover
Old 30th March 2023, 16:52   #6774

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What I've meant is your fork cover is not fully covering the USD forks which is prone to hits from stones or other debris unlike this cover
Mine is a neoprene fork seal cover with the emphasis being on the oil seals. It's not to meant to cover the entire fork pipe.
Old 9th April 2023, 14:49   #6775
BHPian

Any idea on which is the best service center in Hyderabad? Service quality @KTM Kondapur is turning out to become increasingly horrible with each passing day and I hate going to them and dealing with them. I go there because I have heard that is the only good dealer near my location.

Also, is there any way to update owner details at the service center? I bought my bike used but the details in the system still show previous owner details. Every time service is billed to the previous owner's name. However, they could edit mobile number to my number but failed to edit other details. Any possible route on fixing this?
Old 9th April 2023, 22:00   #6776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on which is the best service center in Hyderabad? Service quality @KTM Kondapur is turning out to become increasingly horrible with each passing day and I hate going to them and dealing with them. I go there because I have heard that is the only good dealer near my location.

Also, is there any way to update owner details at the service center? I bought my bike used but the details in the system still show previous owner details. Every time service is billed to the previous owner's name. However, they could edit mobile number to my number but failed to edit other details. Any possible route on fixing this?
You can try

MotoGod
Address: GF3V+293, Kistamma Enclave Rd, Kistamma Enclave, Alwal, Secunderabad, Telangana 500010

He works well on the Duke series and basically offers free check, free of cost, of your bike, if you drop by his shop. This guy does good work on the KTMs and Two Strokes, give it a try, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Secondly, the billing will be in the first owner's name as that's what's fed into the system initially. If you've transferred the bike to your name, show it to the KTM folks for an address change, they should help you out. Usually, it's not a big deal, but changing the phone number is recommended as, that helps you TAT updates and other important reminders.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 22:47   #6777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
You can try

MotoGod

Secondly, the billing will be in the first owner's name as that's what's fed into the system initially. If you've transferred the bike to your name, show it to the KTM folks for an address change, they should help you out. Usually, it's not a big deal, but changing the phone number is recommended as, that helps you TAT updates and other important reminders.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Thanks for the reply. My bike is still in warranty, and I guess it will be out of warranty after August 2023. Till then I would like to stick to showrooms only.
On the name change part, folks at KTM are making a big fuss about it even after I showed them my RC. Guess those guys dont know how to edit.
Old 18th April 2023, 13:36   #6778

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
So after multiple jugaad's and reading up on Youtube comments, forums and Page 75 and beyond of google search pages, I found something that partially works

App: app.akexorcist.bluetoothdirect from the developer INEX

This app connects older bluetooth devices (such as the one on my 2017 Duke) to Bluetooth's on newer operating systems (such as the bluetooth on my Android 11 phone). Now I can finally, see and control music (change tracks, pause, increase or decrease volume) .

But there is one bug; when I get a phone call, earlier I used to see the "Contact Name" as stored in my phone. Now it shows some weird characters. I will research more into this and try and find a solution. Until then; I will have to pick up all incoming calls when I ride as I have no idea who is calling; family, friends or my good old trustworthy pal who never stops thinking about me - Bajaj Finance
Greetings brother,
I have the same issues. Tried connecting with the aforementioned Bluetooth app and the controls showed up again but the contacts show up as something similar to 'Ã'. I have tried several permutations and combinations to resolve it but no avail.
Have you managed to find out a workaround?
Regards,
Aradhya.
Old 20th April 2023, 19:09   #6779
Senior - BHPian

One of the most astute and heart out 9-year soliloquy by the venerable Shumi.

There's a point in the video, where he'd even compare this to his Multistrada.

Right from the horse's mouth.

Worth the watch!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 16:41   #6780
BHPian

Quote:
My speedometer screen turned off randomly. This is the second time that i noticed this issue.Did KTM release a software update for the 390 Duke? I remember SVC telling me about a software update. My bike is on version 1V09.

I find it funny to see these small niggles on a product which has been on sale since 2017, and received two facelifts(2020&2022). I uploaded a short clip of the same.
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=4pxMYcOKm8Y?feature=share
What might be the issue?

Quoting my older post;

So I had time to give my bike for this issue a couple of days ago. One week prior to this I gave my bike for service and specifically mentioned about this issue, but the SVC didnt bother to check it. So I had to go there again specifically for this

3 days later they test it and find no issue in the speedometer. I am pushing for a warranty claim as I have video evidence of the issue. I also plan to escalate it to the ASM or whoever is above these clowns at the SVC.

Reason I am so worried is, my bike is still in warranty and will be in warranty till july if I am not wrong. I want to get this done before july as I dont want to shell out 30k.

Any suggestions as to how I may proceed will be highly appreciated.
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks