Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-440.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 5017779)
This seems to be a common problem with the Brembo master cylinder. I had to replace mine in my Pulsar 200 ns, 2 days ago. The master cylinder price was Rs. 670. I believe the master cylinder is shared with the Dukes.

To confirm that the master cylinder is faulty, when the back brake is jammed, open the bleed screw a bit (just loosen, not remove). This relieves pressure in the line and the brake should release. Then tighten the bleed screw. If the brake doesn't release, the caliper itself might be the problem.

Thank you. I just left the bike with KTM service in the morning. The SA told me that they will try to bleed it first and see the things become alright and hence asked for 2-3 hours time. Problem is, if the master cylinder is really faulty, then it may take at least a week to get that :Frustrati
Hope what you say is correct and I can get pulsar 200 ns cylinder to replace duke cylinder.

Yesterday, I just removed the brake lever and the wheel became alright. So I did the unacceptable and drove the bike depending on the front brake alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by girishv (Post 5017844)
Hope what you say is correct and I can get pulsar 200 ns cylinder to replace duke cylinder.

Yesterday, I just removed the brake lever and the wheel became alright. So I did the unacceptable and drove the bike depending on the front brake alone.

UPDATE:

The KTM Mekhri bled the brake lines and its alright now. They test rode for few km and later I rode it around 40 km. The problem has not surfaced again. Hope it continues for some more time.

Learnt a valuable lesson. Authorised centres need not be costly all the times as they charged me less than Rs 250 for almost whole days work.

The local service centre advised replacing the master cylinder while the authorised service centre just rectified the problem (no jugaad). I was under the impression that usually the trend is the opposite.

Hey guys, I'm facing issues with my ABS, it started 3 days back, where the ABS light suddenly comes on, I switched the bike off and turned it on and did not come on for the rest of the day certain speed. On my trip to Pune the ABS developed a mind of it's own, it comes on at a certain speed and goes off at a certain speed. Another observation was that the speed goes to zero more frequently, on my way back from Pune, the light goes off and stayed off till Panvel. I cleaned both the front and rear ABS sensor, but that did not help much, even checked the fuse box, but everything was in place. Now on the console the ABS light does not come on at all. Took an appointment with the ASC for Saturday, hopefully its not the ABS pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5022716)
Hey guys, I'm facing issues with my ABS, it started 3 days back, where the ABS light suddenly comes on, I switched the bike off and turned it on and did not come on for the rest of the day certain speed. On my trip to Pune the ABS developed a mind of it's own, it comes on at a certain speed and goes off at a certain speed. Another observation was that the speed goes to zero more frequently, on my way back from Pune, the light goes off and stayed off till Panvel. I cleaned both the front and rear ABS sensor, but that did not help much, even checked the fuse box, but everything was in place. Now on the console the ABS light does not come on at all. Took an appointment with the ASC for Saturday, hopefully its not the ABS pump.

Dhruv, it can perhaps be faulty sensor and cleaning wouldn't have sufficed. I'd recommend you to inspect both the sensors and tone rings and then try inspecting the pump. Intermittent 0 value on the speedo and haywire readings can perhaps be attributed to faulty wheel speed sensor.

Also make sure the sensor wires and connectors are not stripped, kinked and not providing a correct fix to the female connector, just the basics.

Start off with sensors, sensor wire and connectors, fuses then ABS unit. Do keep us updated.

Cheers!
VJ

Update on the bike

In the month of May I got the front tyre replaced with Apollo Alpha H1, as the Metz was already 7 years old. The rear tyre wasn't changed as it had another 6k of life left in it.
The front tyre costed me 5k including the fitment.

In June I got the 2nd Gen Duke mirrors fitted and a new front brake lever. The new mirrors give a slightly better view of what's behind and shows less of the arms. The new brake lever is slightly bigger than the old one.

After the restrictions eased up a bit in Mumbai, I booked an appointment with Zenngine in Mira road for a fork service, alignment and diagnose the ABS. The 7 year old fork oil was replaced with Liqui Moly. After diagnosing the ABS, the result was a faulty ABS pump :crying. Overall I am satisfied with the work done on the bike.

The whole fork service and alignment came up to 4700/-.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5094582)
After the restrictions eased up a bit in Mumbai, I booked an appointment with Zenngine in Mira road for a fork service, alignment and diagnose the ABS. The 7 year old fork oil was replaced with Liqui Moly. After diagnosing the ABS, the result was a faulty ABS pump :crying. Overall I am satisfied with the work done on the bike.

Well, just as I guessed it, alas! the ABS pump. Dhruv, all said and done, you'd forget everything back riding that thing. She's all set to entertain. Fork oil and coolant replacement is rudimental on the D390 every year or earlier, helps prolong the life of components longer.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Hey guys, is this a water outlet in the exhaust. This gave me a shock today. The society had got flooded due to heavy rains in the night. I had started the bike to see if no rats had eaten any wiring, I did this after the water level receded.

Guys, any idea if the bash plate/engine guard that comes on the newer versions of 390 is a direct fit on the first gen 390? Has anyone tried it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruv Shetty (Post 5103128)
Hey guys, is this a water outlet in the exhaust. This gave me a shock today. The society had got flooded due to heavy rains in the night. I had started the bike to see if no rats had eaten any wiring, I did this after the water level receded.

This vent hole is present in all motorcycles. They are present at the cusp of the exhaust joint to release water and vapor produced during combustion and also any water ingress. Absolutely normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weathered (Post 5104337)
Guys, any idea if the bash plate/engine guard that comes on the newer versions of 390 is a direct fit on the first gen 390? Has anyone tried it?

Nope, they aren't a direct fit.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5105539)
Nope, they aren't a direct fit.

After posting here I did a quick check with KTM service advisor over the phone and he sounded like it's a direct fit but the part may not be readily available. I need to confirm if some jugaad is involved, and resulting in a rattle (headache):) Any idea if it's a metal guard or plastic? Any other aftermarket options that are a direct bolt on you are aware of that works well? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weathered (Post 5105552)
After posting here I did a quick check with KTM service advisor over the phone and he sounded like it's a direct fit but the part may not be readily available. I need to confirm if some jugaad is involved, and resulting in a rattle (headache):) Any idea if it's a metal guard or plastic? Any other aftermarket options that are a direct bolt on you are aware of that works well? Thanks!

The last I checked, it definitely isn't a direct fit, perhaps the clamps that are used to fasten the underbelly guard are different. I just checked with the KTM folks here and they say it can be fixed with some jugaad.

There is one seller Indimotard Greasehouse from Bangalore if my memory serves me right, who sells proper metal belly pan suited specifically for the 2015 and pre D390 models. Here is a link that I could fetch.

https://indimotard.com/product/ktm-d...-engine-guard/

You can perhaps give them a buzz and see if they can help you.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 5106752)
There is one seller Indimotard Greasehouse from Bangalore if my memory serves me right, who sells proper metal belly pan suited specifically for the 2015 and pre D390 models. Here is a link that I could fetch.

I will not recommend the IndiMotard ones. I had one on my bike on which the clamps broke regularly and these guys were clueless and gave me some "upgraded" ones until they lost the bashplate itself. But the first clamp which was given was quite good and served me for a year and half. I have been running without any underbelly protection since 5 years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unk9ja (Post 5106964)
I will not recommend the IndiMotard ones. I had one on my bike on which the clamps broke regularly and these guys were clueless and gave me some "upgraded" ones until they lost the bashplate itself. But the first clamp which was given was quite good and served me for a year and half. I have been running without any underbelly protection since 5 years now.

Why not just put back the KTM original one of your bike?

Quote:

Originally Posted by unk9ja (Post 5106964)

I am doing the same for a few years now. The thought of any damage occurring is always on the back of my mind. I'd picked up the bike from my friend who had removed the original plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5107627)
Why not just put back the KTM original one of your bike?

The original one is still with me. It never crossed my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weathered (Post 5107672)
I am doing the same for a few years now. The thought of any damage occurring is always on the back of my mind. I'd picked up the bike from my friend who had removed the original plate.

I have ridden the bike in odd trails and also some hard core ones in Chikmagalur, never had any oops moment until now.