Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:34   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am sure it must be Ok. The first generation bikes (including mine) had oil change interval of 5k. Why would the company increase this to 7.5k unless they are confident?
The only thing which will affect oil in our conditions is the heat. KTM must have run tests and increased the limit after feedback from initial batches.
TVN, absolutely second you notion. But, you and I know, no matter how advance our technology gets or tolerances gets reduced or how well we've improved our dino oils. Your ride your vehicle, you know how it sounds, you know what it wants and you know what is best and when it is best for an oil change. Of course, you can extend till 7k or even further, but that's a chance, any wise guy on a two wheeler wouldn't risk, at least I don't.

But you know, free world, each to his own. The precise reason you mentioned, the temperature and our riding conditions is what eats an oil even faster than one thinks.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 26th September 2019, 13:01   #6407
Senior - BHPian

Should'nt the engine being Liquid cooled increase the oil life? In air cooled engines the oil has to do all the tasks of lubrication, cooling effect etc. hence shorter engine oil life, our Duke's being liquid cooled the oil can be changed at 5K atleast. This is my take, plz correct if wrong.
Old 27th September 2019, 00:20   #6408
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
There is a difference between company not saying No and a company actually recommending a longer oil change interval and in fact increasing the oil change interval.
Wordplay.

Not worth the time to explain. If you get it good for you, else it won't make a difference, hence still good for you.

Quote:
It definitely is common sense if you forget the advances in oil technology, manufacturing tech and modern tolerances from the past 20 or so years.
Please take your time to go through the different types of synthetics available.

Then go through the kinda residues that mix with the oil and their make up and how they affect the oil in question.

By now you'll realize that there isn't any kinda development to date that can handle a few of the material as well as compound residues that mix with the oil.

Quote:
If the companies are selfish, wont they actually recommend shorter oil change intervals? More sales for their dealers and service centers, right? Mahindra actually recommends 20,000 km oil changes for diesel Scorpio!
I may be an idiot, but I think the people who designed and engineered the vehicles and have decades of experience know the best way to maintain their vehicles.
Now this is as clear as water but some simply fail to see the obvious, so let me read it out for you.

What do car manufacturers primarily manufacture to sell?

What is a business's ultimate goal?

If your argument is still stuck with sales volumes of complementary products or traditional values of righteousness then, Sir, I admit defeat.

Quote:
But I agree buyers are mostly ignorant for following thumbs rules from 80s
Let me know when you follow factory recommendations and cross the 100k mark and then we'll pick up from here.

Though people consider KTM to be use and throw goods there are quite a few enthusiasts in my circle who've crossed the Golden number, though none of them who stick to them so called updated manufacturer recommendations.

But again, if you don't intent to keep the motorcycle for long then do ignore my reply, as the added effort that takes to maintain said machine would ultimately not be reciprocated.

P.S.

An argument raised for the sake of winning an argument takes us no further than where we were as intellectuals in the first place.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 27th September 2019 at 00:23.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 11:23   #6409
BHPian

Bajaj-KTM needs to get their basics right.
This could be because of heat from the engine. Its right above the engine, next to ABS module

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20191020_104253.jpg
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 22:19   #6410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Should'nt the engine being Liquid cooled increase the oil life? In air cooled engines the oil has to do all the tasks of lubrication, cooling effect etc. hence shorter engine oil life, our Duke's being liquid cooled the oil can be changed at 5K atleast. This is my take, plz correct if wrong.
The engine, be it water cooled or air cooled have their own stresses, and it varies upon engine, but one thing to know is oils of a motorcycle go through extreme amount of shear and stress. Liquid cooled engines, per se, don't cool the oil itself so are air cooled engines, unless we have a dedicated oil cooler.

The compression ratio of the Duke is so high that it will put 98% of the bikes in the market to shame, bit it air cooled and or water cooled desi bikes. This heat is the nemesis to any oil, which means it is inversely proportional as the engine temp increases, the viscosity of the oil reduces.

Engine oil replacement interval varies upon each motorcycle's usage, the rider pattern an the ambiance that it's ridden, and most of all, how well the periodic maintenance is taken care of. 5k is not a deal breaker considering the oil level is in check and has no burnt smell.

But a good ballpark for the Dukes is 3k max post which it's best to replace the engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Bajaj-KTM needs to get their basics right.
This could be because of heat from the engine. Its right above the engine, next to ABS module

Attachment 1924830
From what I can see in your picture, it's not heat induced, it's clearly rat induced stripping. You can clearly see the frayed marks with no outer edge residue left due to heat. Your wires are being grazed up on by rodents, take heed.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 14:14   #6411
BHPian

I have the 2017 KTM Duke 390(old version) which has 12000 kms on it.

I have the following questions for owners of this machine:
1) Do you still recommend servicing @ authorized service centers after the warranty period. Last time I did a service, the bill cost me 4500 INR, and that was without any issues on the bike.

2) If you think that A.S.C are not worth it, do you have experience with good S.C. in bangalore, around Hennur area?

3) I need to replace both tyres, any suggestions on tyres. My rides are usually within Bangalore, and usually within 3 digit speeds.

4) I need to replace the rear alloy as well, which had cracked on a pothole, and is surviving on a tube currently.

5) Since purchase, the rear brakes used to spring back on my feet during high speed braking. Both the KTM A.S.C which I have visited from purchase have told that it was the ABS which was acting up, and that it was normal. Just want to know if this is the case with everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2019, 14:48   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
1) Do you still recommend servicing @ authorized service centers after the warranty period. Last time I did a service, the bill cost me 4500 INR, and that was without any issues on the bike.
It is always safer and better to stick with ASC. choose a good mechanic within ASC and stick with him always. Don't allow other mechanics to work on your bike. This way your regular mechanic will know the history of the bike and can minimise your bill, time and effort.
Always stay with the bike when it's serviced. So that you can see for yourself, the work done on the bike. You can even question the mechanic about some unnecessary replacement or change of parts if you deem so.

Quote:
3) I need to replace both tyres, any suggestions on tyres. My rides are usually within Bangalore, and usually within 3 digit speeds.
I am using Timsun Dualsport Front - 100/80x17 (TS823) & Rear- 130/70x17 (TS822). They are not exactly cheap, but being dual purpose, gives the best of both city & offroading. Try it out. They are great tyres.

Quote:

4) I need to replace the rear alloy as well, which had cracked on a pothole, and is surviving on a tube currently.
That's quite unsafe to ride with a cracked rear alloy wheel. I suggest you immediately go for OEM alloy wheel at your ASC for this part. It's not safe to depend on outside market part in this matter.

Quote:
5) Since purchase, the rear brakes used to spring back on my feet during high speed braking and that it was normal.
It's Normal. That's how ABS works. The brakes spring back multiple times during high speed braking. Your ABS is working just fine.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:52   #6413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
2) If you think that A.S.C are not worth it, do you have experience with good S.C. in bangalore, around Hennur area?
In my experience, ASC has very young guys who treat the KTMs like horses. I never liked the way they take my bike to washing bay and back.

I go to Highlander at HSR Layout after first year, though my bike is still in warranty. I recommend Highlander for their workmanship and cheaper labour costs. I was desperate to find a good mechanic outside KTM ASCs and found Highlander through TeamBHP (obviously). For the last one year, 10,000km- I didn't have any major issues with D200.

P.S: I am not associated to Highlander and I don't get any monetary benefits.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 21:57   #6414
BHPian

Quote:
I have the following questions for owners of this machine:
I have 2013 first gen Duke 390 and have always serviced my bike at the ASC. Luckily there are two in 5km radius of my home and both are quiet good.
In general it is better to stick to the ASC. But if you are not happy with the center you use, you can check the others in Bangalore area.

For tyres, I am currently using Michelin Pilot Street both front and back and quiet happy with them. They cost around 12k for the pair. The profile of the tyre is bit sharper than the stock Metzelers and the bike leans and turns a bit faster as a result.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 14:04   #6415
BHPian

Quote:

You could check out Simon at Christ The King Motors, Hennur Main Road. He was a mechanic in the ASC and then branched out on his own. I get my KTM 390 ('16) serviced there.

I also read some good reviews about Apt Bike Point, Kamanahalli but I have not been there.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 23:03   #6416
BHPian

Thanks ashkamath, Romins, timuseravan and jusgetgoing.

@ashkamath, I have visited the timsum experience center in Bangalore, and I plan to buy either the TS659 sport or the TS697(which is claimed to be a 60:40 highway:offroad tyre). The other option was the Apollo Alpha H1, which has great reviews, but is expensive when you look at the MRP, but is worth it if you buy online on Amazon.
The ones which you bought, i.e. TS822/823 are off-road tyres. How do they perform in the street for sharp cornering and is there any factor of the stock Metzeller's which you miss now?

@jusgetgoing, I have spoken to Simon, and he was very happy when he was told that he had been referred via team-bhp .
He said he'll be able to get the OEM rear wheel, so I plan to purchase the tyres and give them to him, so that he can change the tyres and service my bike as well.

I'm still confused about the
- Timsun TS659 (10,150 INR)(claimed to be similar to the stock)
- Timsum TS697(9,500 INR), and
- Apollo Alpha H1(affordable for me on Amazon)
This is for both the front and rear tyres, stock size of 150/60/17 and 110/70/17.
My rides are usually within the City, 50% racing on the ring road, and 50% on potholes. Let me know your suggestions.
micraft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 23:07   #6417
BHPian

I bid adieu to my trusty old Duke 390 yesterday after 6 years and over 40000km of absolute fun driving.
Kinda sad, but looking forward to the next step.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:11   #6418
Distinguished - BHPian

So I've had the pleasure of riding a very dear friend's (and fellow inmate here) KTM Duke 390 christened Tashi for the past few months.

I recently took him out to a gnarly wet offroad trail in the Idukki District. Insanity is not the word for the kind of fun we had. Also accompanied by a trio of GS 310's and they were quite amused with what the little Duke could achieve.

Full report here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ki-kerala.html (A search in Secret Idukki - Dual sport motorcycling trip to Idukki, Kerala)

Here's my experience offroad only, as others have written enough about this wonderful bike onroad:

+1. Extremely light. Can be carried across the trail
+2. Compact dimensions, easy to manoeuvre in tricky areas
+3. Sprightly engine, not much of a need to fry the clutch.
+4. Very low seat height - paddle your feet along like a duck or use feet to push or rest against undulations.
+5. Switchable ABS

-1. Peg and Handle bar placements do not allow standing and riding for more than a few seconds.
-2. Bad roads are unforgiving because of the suspension
-3. Heat is a big concern in slow moving offroad sections.
-4. Street tyres
-5. Engine braking when descending down on trails is scary. I was better off switching the bike OFF and using the clutch to slowly come down. Else I was hurtling along at 30 KMPH with bald tyres and iffy brakes.

All in all a fantastic weekend well spent with mates off the road!

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th November 2019 at 12:19.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 02:02   #6419
BHPian

I have a 2017 KTM Duke 390 which has done 12k kilometers on Stock Metzlers. In December, I will be heading out on a 3000 kilometer solo trip from Gujarat to Telengana and eventually back to Gujarat.

I want to get my tyres replaced but am not able to make my mind up between the three options; Metzlers H rated stock ones, Michelin Pilot Street and Apollo Alpha H1.

I only ride the bike on highways and on long trips. 10k of the 12k kilometers would have been done on trips to Rajasthan and Maharashtra. I prefer puttering around town on my Himalayan due to the relaxed nature of the RE engine.

Given my touring only usage, what do you recommend I should buy? I tour in the rains too (maximum 2 trips in monsoon) and enjoyed the grip provided the Metzlers. My priority is as follows

Price/Cost - low priority. I don't mind spending on the right tyre

Life of tyre - Medium Priority

Corner and Straight Line Grip - High Priority

Resistance to Punctures - High Priority

Stability on sudden Sand, Gravel and Road Repairing Patches - High Priorty

Thank you,
Rahul

Last edited by rahul4321 : 18th November 2019 at 02:08.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:41   #6420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

Given my touring only usage, what do you recommend I should buy? I tour in the rains too (maximum 2 trips in monsoon) and enjoyed the grip provided the Metzlers. My priority is as follows

Price/Cost - low priority. I don't mind spending on the right tyre

Life of tyre - Medium Priority

Corner and Straight Line Grip - High Priority

Resistance to Punctures - High Priority

Stability on sudden Sand, Gravel and Road Repairing Patches - High Priorty

Thank you,
Rahul
I think it’s a good toss up between the Angel GT and the metzeler m7RR. Get the z rated tyres for both, you will be far happier with your priorities.

Now the thing with punctures is, it’s a bit of an oxymoron. Tyres that stick and corner well are softer tyres. And softer tyres are more susceptible to punctures.

I would go with the Angel GT. They are more touring focused.

Choose your poison.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks