Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 10:29   #6346
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I got it replaced at the Mekhri CIrcle SVC itself. I have a good rapport with the guys there. Anyway, I have to replace the engine oil tomorrow, I will check with them about this and let you know.

Thank you!
Since it has been over a month, could you please say how the experience with the upgraded braking components has been?
Old 20th March 2019, 15:58   #6347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Thank you!
Since it has been over a month, could you please say how the experience with the upgraded braking components has been?

Well for the whole month, I could drive only 120kms before I took off solo for a 620kms round ride starting from Bangalore going through Hassan, Shiradi, Dharmasthala, Ujire, Charmadi, Belur, Hassan and back to Bangalore. During the first 100 odd kms, the bite was so-so and I felt it was performing a tad better than the stock ones. Only during the ride, I felt the difference and it shows. It is brilliant and I had to do an emergency braking on one of of the hairpins on Charmadi when a KSRTC bus came in my way and I could stop easily and safely. The lever however feels a bit big compared to the old one, but is not worrisome.

The SVC had stock of the MC when I went there yesterday. Looks like the year end inventory reduction was on their cards and they had run out of part.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 18:49   #6348
BHPian

Quote:
Only during the ride, I felt the difference and it shows. It is brilliant and I had to do an emergency braking on one of of the hairpins on Charmadi when a KSRTC bus came in my way and I could stop easily and safely. The lever however feels a bit big compared to the old one, but is not worrisome..

Is the caliper a direct swap considering that the 2017 models come with a bigger disc? I had thought that the mounting points were different.
Old 26th March 2019, 07:45   #6349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

Is the caliper a direct swap considering that the 2017 models come with a bigger disc? I had thought that the mounting points were different.
It is a direct swap and no changes are needed. The newer discs are 20mm bigger but retain the same caliper.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 00:58   #6350
BHPian

Did a solo 1200 kilometre round trip from Ahmedabad to Pushkar last weekend. Was good fun. Bike didn't let me down athough I must admit I let the bike down

Riding a dirt trail in Pushkar to a sunset point my bike tyres gave up grip in first gear and I fell down. The crash guard took a bit of a hit and a small chunk of the guard is chipped away but nothing serious.

Fantastic bike, but the need of an ADV like a Himalayan to complement this machine is becoming more and more tempting everyday especially because a little Navi and a Passion did the trail without any hiccups

It's like a leech on roads but show it dirt, sand and gravel and it becomes quickly unsettled. The Duke is now 9500 kilometres and 1 year old
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20190324_135843.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20190324_145305.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20190331wa0004.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20190331wa0005.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20190331wa0007.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20190331wa0006.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 31st March 2019 at 01:12.
rahul4321 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 09:02   #6351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Did a solo 1200 kilometre round trip from Ahmedabad to Pushkar last weekend. Was good fun. Bike didn't let me down athough I must admit I let the bike down
Solo rides are the best.

Quote:
It's like a leech on roads but show it dirt, sand and gravel and it becomes quickly unsettled. The Duke is now 9500 kilometres and 1 year old
And I feel exactly the opposite on my Himalayan. Bad roads, you feel like a king.
Smooth roads, it's like skid row.

Keep riding. Love the pics. But please get rid of that ugly bag.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 20:25   #6352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Has anyone ordered/taken any KTM powerpart. Their common website lists all the parts but no pricing. I am looking forward to put Akra Slip-on in the near future as it is listed there. Wanted to know the price. I was warned about the fakes being sold in other shops hence preferring to get from them.

https://www.ktm.com/in/powerparts/ex...2fKE4-16007218
None ordered via offciale KTM centro. But why? The AKRA costs 68 odd thousand rupees, if my memory serves me right and can be bought from the dealership itself, as they can directly get the part for you with a downpayment of Rs. 30,000. Modus operandi may be quite different now.

I'd recommend you to get in touch with your nearest SVC or shoot a mail to info@ktmindia.com for more help.

Keep your observations posted.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st April 2019, 08:43   #6353
BANNED

Quote:
Did a solo 1200 kilometre round trip from Ahmedabad to Pushkar last weekend. Was good fun. Bike didn't let me down athough I must admit I let the ld
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But please get rid of that ugly bag.
Forget the bag, that helmet gives me the scares, wouldn't dare ride my puny 8 pony machine wearing one lest a steed with 40+ horses.

Only the lucky ones come out from a wreck unfazed or dead, the majority dont.

Ride safe.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 10:33   #6354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Forget the bag, that helmet gives me the scares, wouldn't dare ride my puny 8 pony machine wearing one lest a steed with 40+ horses.

Only the lucky ones come out from a wreck unfazed or dead, the majority dont.

Ride safe.
A.P.
I was going to mention that. A 40 BHP bike especially a KTM 390 crazy one needs a little more respect.

Please get a better helmet. ASAP. Can't stress that enough!
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 16:21   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to share a pic of my 5+ year old, more fun than it came out of the factory, trail ready Katoom!

All mods are oriented towards comfort and making it more off road worthy
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-f0928419e36c4353971d88a540003efe.jpeg  

Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 16:26   #6356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Wanted to share a pic of my 5+ year old, more fun than it came out of the factory, trail ready Katoom!

All mods are oriented towards comfort and making it more off road worthy

Nice one. Can you post specific areas where the mods are carried out and for what reason. That helps the folks here.
Old 1st April 2019, 19:00   #6357
BHPian

Quote:
Did a solo 1200 kilometre round trip from Ahmedabad to Pushkar last weekend.
Kudos to your spirit man! It is already hot but you still manage to get out and ride whenever you get a chance.

Now, with the amount of riding you do, it is high time you get a proper tail bag that can fit in the stuff you need for a weekend ride. Also, a better helmet won't hurt either.

Ride safe!
R-Six
Old 1st April 2019, 19:43   #6358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice one. Can you post specific areas where the mods are carried out and for what reason. That helps the folks here.
Sure. Here's the list:

- Front suspension : added 35 MM more travel. Stock - 150 MM. Current - 185 MM

- Front wheel : 19 incher with spokes from bullet. Lathe work needed for fitment plus created a plate to mount the disc on

- Footpegs and brake / gear lever : Custom made. Around 5 inches forward and a few mm lower than stock. Absolutely Godsent!

- Seat : Removed foam from the rear seat, added more to the front seat to make it more "continuous". Has freed up a lot of space. Super comfy. Can still flat foot (just about). I am 5 feet 11 barefoot

- Side stand sensor delete : While riding standing up, I like to keep my heels low. With the new footpeg position, my heels would push the stand a bit downward. Caused the bike to "almost stall" while riding (like when the bike runs out of fuel). Particularly scary! Imagine you are accelerating hard and are therefore leaning pretty far forward on the bike. Bike threatens to shut down, almost throws you over the handlebars. This sensor had to go. Have mounted it in a different position, put a magnet on it. Cheap, effective (so far)

- Tires : Ralco Speed blaster 120/80-17. Front is a Ceat Gripp XL (borrowed from my mechanic). Will be changing to Ralco speed blaster 90/90-19 this weekend

- Misc : 1 inch risers, Fork and swingarm sliders, Spoke skins (a labour of love), Apache mirrors, LED headlight, Indimotard bash plate

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st April 2019 at 19:52.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 21:16   #6359
BHPian

Congratulations Urban_Nomad! Mine has done 5 years as well but is completely stock!

Quote:
Sure. Here's the list:
- Front suspension : added 35 MM more travel. Stock - 150 MM. Current - 185 MM
How did you do that? I was thinking of suspension upgrade for both front and back.

Quote:
- Footpegs and brake / gear lever : Custom made. Around 5 inches forward and a few mm lower than stock. Absolutely Godsent!
And this? My height is similar to yours and I think this will be super comfortable.

Also have you tried changing sprocket size. I am thinking of going for Duke 250 both front and back.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 23:43   #6360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Congratulations Urban_Nomad! Mine has done 5 years as well but is completely stock!
Thanks and congrats to you too

Quote:
How did you do that? I was thinking of suspension upgrade for both front and back.

Watch this video from 8:10 onwards for the mod. I recommend watching the entire vid when you have time though. Just brilliant!

Quote:
And this? My height is similar to yours and I think this will be super comfortable.
It will be. It’s a custom made set from a guy in Bangalore. I think it cost me around 8-10 k. Was a long time ago so don’t remember exactly. I’m sure locally it can be done cheaper

Quote:
Also have you tried changing sprocket size. I am thinking of going for Duke 250 both front and back.
My chain set is breathing it’s last. Gonna replace it entirely with the 250s

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st April 2019 at 23:44.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks