Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2018, 00:50   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
IIRC, it was around 7200rpm@130kmph and 6000rpm@115kmph. Will pay better attention when I go out next in a few days.
he last fill-up and am seeing the best figures till date. So it all depends on the riding style. But safe to say that there is no affect on economy overall.
True that. The bike should be more sprightier when compared to the earlier setup, the mid-range should give you smiles like never before, and as you rightly mentioned albeit a lack of top-whack. But hey, in the end, you get to reach the top speed faster, that's a plus, and you'd love doing ghats on this one, she'd have the urgency throughout like a train.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:22   #6302
Distinguished - BHPian

Am curious about the TFT screens that a few new bikes have these days. What do most riders typically use them for? Navigation with Gmaps and such? Are they worth it? I'm probably old-school, but I really don't see the need for one. Beyond speed, RPM, and the fuel gauge I'm not sure any other info is really required on a bike display. I would rather not have a screen and have them lower the cost of the bike by that much. But would be interesting to hear from real-world users. How handy is one of these?
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:21   #6303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Am curious about the TFT screens that a few new bikes have these days. What do most riders typically use them for? Navigation with Gmaps and such? Are they worth it? I'm probably old-school, but I really don't see the need for one. Beyond speed, RPM, and the fuel gauge I'm not sure any other info is really required on a bike display. I would rather not have a screen and have them lower the cost of the bike by that much. But would be interesting to hear from real-world users. How handy is one of these?
It shows all possible info you need:

Time
Tripmeters
Odometer
Fuel range
Average fuel consumption
Battery voltage
Phone signal strength
Phone battery %
Incoming calls
Music Info/Play/Stop etc
Next service due reminder

etc etc

Out of these almost all are useful in real world usage right?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 11:28   #6304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Out of these almost all are useful in real world usage right?
Useful, maybe, essential nope. Odo, speedo, rpm, trip meter, fuel, that's all I need. Things like phone synch I can't even imagine, I keep my phone in the bag while riding and don't look at it till I break for lunch or dinner. A screen like this not only raises costs of the bike, it's one more thing that could get damaged in a bike fall.

Of course that's only my (middle-age-chap's) opinion.

Would be curious about more opinions from 390 owners. Are you guys finding the display more real-world-useful or more gimmicky? I guess the service centers too use the screen to diagnose bike issues? Is that correct?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 19:23   #6305

Far as my understanding goes, this is just keeping in line with the design language some of the bigger Dukes and other KTM motorcycles follow. The bigger ones not only show the list mentioned by Dodge_Viper, but also show GPS information and whatnot.
Since the 390 has been positioned as a gateway into the more premium range, it gets the TFT display to fit in.
While it does become an expensive addition, driving buying and maintenance (in the case of a fall) costs up, not only does it look nice but is also somewhat customizable. IMO it's built for the enthusiast - things such as ABS modes, gear shift indicators, etc can be customized.
arpitphillips is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 09:01   #6306
BHPian

Quote:
Useful, maybe, essential nope. Odo, speedo, rpm, trip meter, fuel, that's all I need.
If we keep going for the lowest denominator, none of these are essential as well. Why do you need anything more than a cycle with an engine?

Phone sync may not be useful today but I can easily imagine something like android auto with complete navigation coming in 2-3 years. And navigation also means things like road blockages/traffic displays which will help in everyday commute as well.

The prices of electronic components are going down all the time. Even basic motorcycles have started using digit lcd displays for trip/fuel. At some point screen displays will be cheaper than analog.
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 12:03   #6307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
If we keep going for the lowest denominator, none of these are essential as well. Why do you need anything more than a cycle with an engine?
It was an opinion. Hence was asking from real-world users and owners if they found the extra info useful, when weighed against the cost of the TFT (today, not x years in the future) and the risk of it getting damaged in a crash. (While asking, I was pretty sure someone would come up with a 'why do you need anything but the wheels and engine' argument, and sure enough... )

Understandably, there will be people who find the display useful and those like me who find it unnecessary. Still, would certainly like to hear those opinions from owners, contrary and supporting. Thanks.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 12:45   #6308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the risk of it getting damaged in a crash.
Its all covered under insurance man, why even bother. If these technology leaps come and don't sacrifice any kind of reliability, then I am all for it. I use my mobile phone a lot for GPS, and I would certainly love that to be displayed on that gorgeous TFT screen without sucking up my mobile battery.

Analog clusters on classics, digital displays on everything else.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:15   #6309
BHPian

Quote:
Understandably, there will be people who find the display useful and those like me who find it unnecessary. Still, would certainly like to hear those opinions from owners, contrary and supporting. Thanks.
The only read outs I rely on are the engine temperature guage ( critical to keep an eye out on when riding in the city) and fuel level. I have a very short attention span so I tend not to look at the console that often. But that's just my personal opinion.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 01:10   #6310
BHPian

Did a 500 kilometre solo round trip to Udaipur and back. Motorcycle was a pleasure to ride. No issues to report. Currently at 7200 kilometres.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20190106wa0002.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2019 at 19:39. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
rahul4321 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 22:41   #6311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally an awakened one Well, to answer your question it looks cool, that's the essence of it. To blend in with the sophisticated modernity that we live in these days. We know they don't add much usefulness than old-school, yet they offer "extras" that come in handy, able to change songs via console, bluetooth connectivity, change RPM settings and what not.

On the big picture, is it a PITA? A definite yes. Again, do they do have their perks? At times. Not all the times.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:52   #6312

What's the flow rate on the fuel injector on the 390?

I'm putting on a free flow air filter and exhaust, and don't really want to remap. The option I have is to swap the injector to compensate for the higher air volume.
What problems could I face, if you guys see any?

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2019 at 19:39. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 3rd February 2019, 16:36   #6313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpitphillips View Post

I'm putting on a free flow air filter and exhaust, and don't really want to remap. The option I have is to swap the injector to compensate for the higher air volume.
Flow rate has to be measured as the exact detail isn't mentioned AFAIK. The injector is a four hole one and the pump pressurizes it to 42-43 psi. Flow rate can be measured by actually removing the injector and connecting it with a fuel line and them measuring it.

Here's an interesting article I found
https://www.injectorrx.com/faq-items...tic-flow-rate/

1 ml = 1 cc

Quote:
Manufacturers rate fuel injectors by the maximum amount of fuel that they can flow in a given amount of time at a given pressure. This measurement is known as Static Fuel Injector Flow Rate and is normally taken at 100% duty cycle and a fuel pressure of 43.5 PSI.

Example: At 100% duty cycle a 55 pound (lb) injector at 43.5 PSI of fuel pressure will flow 55 pounds per hour. Injector Flow Rates are expressed in pounds per hour (lb/hr) or cubic centimeter per minute (cc/min). Given the same pressure 1 lb/hr = 10.5 cc/min. To convert lb/ hr to cc/min, multiply by 10.5 Sometimes injector flow rates are expressed in milliliter per minute (ml/min)
1 ml = 1 cc Example: a 220 cc injector = 220 ml injector Fuel injector static flow rate is the maximum fuel a fuel injector can flow at a given pressure.

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:28   #6314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpitphillips View Post

The "free flow air filter" I've tested on my fuel injected motorcycle did not show enough gain in flow to warrant changing out a fuel injector on my motorcycle.

When I first installed it I got a bit carried away with oiling its filter element and the actual air flow was less than the flow thru a clean paper filter. This showed a marked decrease in performance because of the lower flow.

After cleaning it with the companies cleaning solution I applied a very light coating of filter oil. This allowed it to work as intended but even so, as I said, the flow rate was not much of an improvement.
Most definitely not enough to cause a lean air/fuel ratio.

This was a K&N filter specifically made for my motorcycle.

Changing the injector to one with a higher flow rate can cause problems.
Your present injector and the ECU that controls it are designed to work together. Installing a higher flow injector will cause a richer air/fuel ratio that can foul the spark plug and in worst cases, wash the lubricating oil off of the cylinder walls leading to premature piston ring failure.

As you can see, I do not recommend changing the fuel injector.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 3rd February 2019 at 22:39.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:33   #6315

Thank you, this is great help. So, I'll just hold back from this and simply clean the throttle body.
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks