Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-405.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barcalad (Post 4235577)
The first time was when the fan motor had gone bust due to some issue of it's own. The second time, the wire had created an issue just behind the fan assembly/below fuel tank, so they changed the entire set.

Do get a second opinion from a different SVC before putting your money in.

Thanks Barcalad!

My bike has 15k on odo and is completing 3 years next month so no chance of replacement under warranty. I will visit the center tomorrow to take stock of the situation and then take a call.

First post in the thread:

I have a first generation Duke 390. Since it's summer I use it very infrequently. I used to start it every week to keep it in a running condition. But couldn't for a month and now the bike refuses to start.

Initially it cranked but now I can only hear the starter motor spinning. Is it a dead battery issue? Don't want to take it to a roadside mechanic :/

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by social3047 (Post 4236318)
First post in the thread:

I have a first generation Duke 390. Since it's summer I use it very infrequently. I used to start it every week to keep it in a running condition. But couldn't for a month and now the bike refuses to start.

Initially it cranked but now I can only hear the starter motor spinning. Is it a dead battery issue? Don't want to take it to a roadside mechanic :/

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Similar situation with me & it turned out to be the fuel pump. Fuel deteriorates over time and if the bike has been sitting for some time, it clogs the filter & pump.

Luckily it is not very expensive - about 3-4k. Getting the bike there could cost you if you don't have somebody to give you a push.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 4236322)
Similar situation with me & it turned out to be the fuel pump. Fuel deteriorates over time and if the bike has been sitting for some time, it clogs the filter & pump.

Luckily it is not very expensive - about 3-4k. Getting the bike there could cost you if you don't have somebody to give you a push.

Thanks. There is a KTM service centre around 2km from my place. Guess I'll have to walk with her this timestupid:

Has anybody done a sprocket upsize on the 390? Mine is a '13 with 45T. Would like to know first-hand experience with 47T or so.

Quote:

Has anybody done a sprocket upsize on the 390? Mine is a '13 with 45T. Would like to know first-hand experience with 47T or so.
Problem with 390 is this change will help your 6th and may be 5th gears. But will be making you shift up faster in the first four gears.

The 390 gearing is such that first 4 gears are actually spaced fairly well while 5th and specially 6th are very long.

47T may be better but you are not going to achieve any major top speed and in fact it may go down while speedo will lie(Speedo error is going to creep in)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 4236621)
47T may be better but you are not going to achieve any major top speed and in fact it may go down while speedo will lie(Speedo error is going to creep in)

I don't want the top speed at all, infact a rear sprocket upsizing will not help it. I wanted to have a more responsive 6th gear and lesser gear shifts in traffic in which I spent 5 days a week commuting. Also, more acceleration while I am at it. Not sure if I will like it, but want to experiment with it as mine is due for the second sprocket change.

And yes, there will be some speedo error.

Quote:

I wanted to have a more responsive 6th gear and lesser gear shifts in traffic in which I spent 5 days a week commuting.
The up sizing of rear sprocket will only increase the bottom end of the 390. The need for having lesser gear shifts in traffic is not going to get solved. But the difference is probably going to be 200 RPM at max and hence you may not see shorter first 4 gears. May be a second earlier is when you will shift up. The 6th gear will feel slightly shorter reaching same speed at 400 RPM higher.

Check this http://www.gearingcommander.com/ and try different combination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 4236563)

I have the same question and wanted to check if 250s 46 tooth will fit. I'm told it won't

Where can u get a 47 in India? I saw one option on aliexpress but the price was quite steep. You'll also need a longer chain as the current one won't fit. Then you have all that chakkar of chain pitch and make sure u get the right one

Too much hassle imo

Edit : here's a user review - http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...l#/topics/2785

Quote:

You'll also need a longer chain as the current one won't fit
Usually if you can go one down on the front you can manage the same effect with no change in chain length requirement.

But going front on the single cylinder is going to stress the sprocket. This 6th gear is purely meant for cruising and not to see the bike float into speeds post 5th gear. Its a calm, relaxing distance covering set up and the sprocket changes impact like very little. IMHO its a waste of time on this single cylinder to try different sprocket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by social3047 (Post 4236318)

Update: It was a dead battery issue. Had the battery replaced. Serviced the bike as well and it's running well.

Hello all,

I am waiting for the delivery of my 2017 KTM Duke 390. When I inquired about the probable future update roll-out for the TFT display to support navigation, the showroom guy had no idea. Any information on this regard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 4236921)
Where can u get a 47 in India?

Edit : here's a user review - http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...l#/topics/2785

No idea where I can source both sprocket and chain from within the country. Might have to look overseas.

I have seen that thread in the 390 forum but couldn't find any user review. Let me go through it again! :thumbs up

I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyn (Post 4240038)
I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?

I changed my chain sprocket at around 11,000kms. I ignored chain maintenance too, but now i take proper care of the chain. I suggest you to clean, lube and tighten the chain after every 500-600kms. Works good for me. Better to buy the motul chain lube and chain clean and DIY. Works out much cheaper than taking your bike at the service station after every 500kms.