Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-404.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by atul.ktm (Post 4220996)
Go for Michelin PSR eyes closed, the set will cost you 10k. Tried and tested tire!

Will they last longer than the metz ? Thats one reason i am not going for metz again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 (Post 4220891)
Talking about reliability of KTM, my 2014 Duke 390 is currently lying at service center for an engine overhaul. Bore, Piston, Valve seals etc are damaged.

Current odo is 29.9 K in 3.5 years of ownership.

I ride sanely and with my wife as pillion all the time. 90% of the time fuel was filled from COCO stations and yet the engine went kaput.

Damn so you look like me of KTM 😥!! My Kawasaki Versys went kaput 3 times in less than 6 months with 15K on the odometer!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 4220756)
How about waiting a bit longer for the 390 Adventure

Is this seriously gonna come to Indian Markets? Have seen people's hair turning grey waiting for this 😪

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerzindia (Post 4221007)
Damn so you look like me of KTM ��!! My Kawasaki Versys went kaput 3 times in less than 6 months with 15K on the odometer!!��

I have seen many KTMs surpassing the 50k mark. Mine has done almost 38k kms in 1.3 years and is a 2016 model. Most of the distance was covered in highway trips and very less in urban commute. Parts replaced in my bike:
1.water pump seal
2.catalytic converter
3.chain set at 13xxx kms

Bike is still running with original airbox, original fork seals and original headlamp ! lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohitj92 (Post 4220998)
Will they last longer than the metz ? Thats one reason i am not going for metz again.

Of course it will. You will be surprised seeing the life of this beautiful piece of rubber.

Talking about the reliability of the 390 ,my Aug 2014 390 clocked 34,000 Kms ,replaced the chain and sprocket twice and one fork oil seal once and nothing else .
I have never ridden much in traffic ,and I use it the way it's supposed to be,never gentle but not stupidly rash ,obviously I have replaced the rubber and touchwood nothing else.
I have filled fuel from all sorts of pumps and have used regular fuel for majority of the kms clocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 (Post 4220891)
Talking about reliability of KTM, my 2014 Duke 390 is currently lying at service center for an engine overhaul. Bore, Piston, Valve seals etc are damaged......

I did happen to see your post in another forum, following along the lines, has the replacements been carried out now? Considering you're out of warranty, it would be helpful if you can share the bill as to what was changed would come in handy especially when we talk about pricing.

Cheers!
VJ

My 6 month old 2016 390 Duke with 4,500km on the odo has developed a new problem after sitting idle in the garage for a week.

The bike does not idle reliably when cold. The engine keeps going off, especially when throttle is given. This problem continues even while riding where the engine goes off between gear changes etc., untill till the engine is warm and then she runs perfectly.

Any suggestions on rectifying this problem? Petrol was pumped from a COCO bunk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdman (Post 4223262)
My 6 month old 2016 390 Duke with 4,500km on the odo has developed a new problem after sitting idle in the garage for a week. The bike does not idle reliably when cold. The engine keeps going off, especially when throttle is given. This problem continues even while riding where the engine goes off between gear changes etc., untill till the engine is warm and then she runs perfectly. Any suggestions on rectifying this problem? Petrol was pumped from a COCO bunk.

Hello bdman,

Please do check out page 199-200 of this thread as there is a similar discussion of the cold start engine stalling problem. Hope it helps you out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4229845)
Hello bdman,

Please do check out page 199-200 of this thread as there is a similar discussion of the cold start engine stalling problem. Hope it helps you out.

Thanks Antonjeeper! However, my problem is suspected to be caused by a cracked spark plug cap. Due to the wet weather, moisture would get in when the bike was cold and affected the sparking. (My bike stalled 24 times in the frst km yesterday on the way to the dealership).

Once the engine heated up and the moisture evaporated it would run fine. Dealership did a good job of trouble shooting. Kept the bike over night and test rode it yesterday morning. My over night test ride will today.

Let's hope the problem is resolved.

Hey bdman,
Great to know that you have zeroed in on the culprit. Hope it is resolved now :)
On another note, I have heard that NGK Iridium spark plugs (https://www.amazon.com/NGK-LKAR8AI-9.../dp/B0050514SW) are good. I am planning to get one for myself during my next service. May be you can try them out, if at all the problem starts coming back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4229845)
Hello bdman,

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4230198)
...On another note, I have heard that NGK Iridium spark plugs (https://www.amazon.com/NGK-LKAR8AI-9.../dp/B0050514SW) are good. ...

I've the Iridium on my CBR600. Didn;d find much if a difference compared to stock NGK. Changing to the Air filter to BMC gave it performance. Ive done the same to my Duke no.,

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdman (Post 4230052)
Thanks Antonjeeper! However, my problem is suspected to be caused by a cracked spark plug cap. ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdman (Post 4223262)
My 6 month old 2016 390 Duke with 4,500km on the odo has developed a new problem after sitting idle in the garage for a week. The bike does not idle reliably when cold. ....

Sorry to :deadhorse but how did your spark plug cap have a crack in the first place? Did you happen to click the picture of the cracked spark plug cap! Cracked spark plug cap can cause arcing and fry the plug and what not. On another note, I reckon the O ring type boot that covers the spark plug cavity that's fixed on the spark plug cap is torn? Would like to get some more color on this.

Cheers!
VJ :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 (Post 4231161)
Sorry to :deadhorse but how did your spark plug cap have a crack in the first place? Did you happen to click the picture of the cracked spark plug cap! ...

I wish I had the details. I was in a hurry and left -- didnt look at the parts, nor did I take photos. But the dealership said the cap was "damaged". I've been having a rat problem in our garage. So that could be the root cause.

I am more of an RE guy and since my brother had shifted to UK, I started using his Duke quite often for my highway ride. I am new to the technical aspects of the bike, so need your advice on understanding the problem I am facing.

Long story short, during one of my commute towards office radiator fan gave up and engine temp shot up. Upon noticing the spike in temperature I stopped the bike and let it cool for sometime. After 15mins I moved on further but fan just refused to come up, I checked the fuse and coolant level but everything was ok. I suspected some wiring issue or temperature sensor had gone kaput. I went to Auto service Banashankari and service personal checked everything and found that there is some amount of leakage of current in the wire which connects the fan. He is unable to find the source and he suggested to change the entire wiring harness which would cost around 6k. However he asked for couple of days to do one more round of check before he will go for replacement. So can anyone suggest what could the best possible solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonHawk (Post 4235510)
Long story short, during one of my commute towards office radiator fan gave up and engine temp shot up. Upon noticing the spike in temperature I stopped the bike and let it cool for sometime. After 15mins I moved on further but fan just refused to come up, I checked the fuse and coolant level but everything was ok. I suspected some wiring issue or temperature sensor had gone kaput. I went to Auto service Banashankari and service personal checked everything and found that there is some amount of leakage of current in the wire which connects the fan. He is unable to find the source and he suggested to change the entire wiring harness which would cost around 6k. However he asked for couple of days to do one more round of check before he will go for replacement. So can anyone suggest what could the best possible solution.

I have faced the same issue twice in my 27k old Duke and have got my fan assembly replaced twice, both times under warranty.

The first time was when the fan motor had gone bust due to some issue of it's own. The second time, the wire had created an issue just behind the fan assembly/below fuel tank, so they changed the entire set.

Do get a second opinion from a different SVC before putting your money in.