Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2017, 18:26   #5971
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

where emphasis seems to be on stator current.
BTW, I think 'stator' (highlighted) is a typo, should be rotor.

Regards
Sutripta
You are correct; that should have been rotor. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:39   #5972
BHPian

Update on the disappearing coolant issue.

Left my bike 2 weeks back at the Nal stop (Pune) SVC and they kept her for a good 5 days for checking. Got no update from them and so I finally called on the 6th day. I was told to collect the bike in the evening, the coolant was topped up and the service fellow did not explain me properly what was exactly done, he said the engine oil is clean and the water pump seals are ok, 2 levels were marked for coolant levels when hot and cold.

I rode back and have been observing the coolant levels after regular rides now. Took her to office one day (40 kms in all) & a short lavasa ride (90 kms approx) and the coolant level was fine, did not drop at all (both cold and hot).

Now, last weekend me and my buddies did a longish Malshej ghat trip (350 kms) and on returning I found the coolant to be at the same level (engine hot). Next morning the coolant level (engine cold level) has dropped again approximately 5 mm in the reservoir. The service guy had told me that 5-10 mm loss is normal which I find is ridiculous considering its a closed system and a 5 mm drop in just 350 kms points to a problem!
My buddy's D390 did not drink any coolant! The level is same.

What do you guys think? I rode for almost 8 hours at sane speeds & the afternoon was hot! Is high compression & highway riding drinking my coolant?

TIA!

Last edited by Siddy : 15th March 2017 at 12:42.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:24   #5973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Next morning the coolant level (engine cold level) has dropped again approximately 5 mm in the reservoir. The service guy had told me that 5-10 mm loss is normal which I find is ridiculous considering its a closed system and a 5 mm drop in just 350 kms points to a problem!
TIA!
I am hoping this might have been checked, but no harm in checking again.
See if you get "smoke" when you start the bike in morning, does it smell differently? Its possible there is a leak and coolant is leaking in cylinder. Check the oil color too.

-Pramod
Old 15th March 2017, 17:48   #5974
BHPian

Quote:

Left my bike 2 weeks back at the Nal stop (Pune) SVC and they kept her for a good 5 days for checking. Got no update from them and so I finally called on the 6th day. I was told to collect the bike in the evening, the coolant was topped up and , last weekend me and my buddies did a longish Malshej ghat trip (350 kms) and on returning I found the coolant to be at the same level (engine hot). Next morning the coolant level (engine cold level) has dropped again approximately 5 mm in the reservoir. The service guy had told me that 5-10 mm loss is normal which I find is ridiculous considering its a closed system and a 5 mm drop in just 350 kms points to a problem!

What do you guys think? I rode for almost 8 hours at sane speeds & the afternoon was hot! Is high compression & highway riding drinking my coolant?

TIA!
Coolant should not reduce by even a mm as this is a closed system. They might not have bled the system properly after fitting everything back. So the coolant when cools down, pushes the air off the system, causing slight drop in the level.

Last edited by nitninja : 15th March 2017 at 17:49.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:42   #5975
BHPian

Quote:

Now, last weekend me and my buddies did a longish Malshej ghat trip (350 kms) and on returning I found the coolant to be at the same level (engine hot). Next morning the coolant level (engine cold level) has dropped again approximately 5 mm in the reservoir. The service guy had told me that 5-10 mm loss is normal which I find is ridiculous considering its a closed system and a 5 mm drop in just 350 kms points to a problem!
Siddy,

As you know I had a D390 was MY 2014 with the smaller radiator but I never faced level dropping of Coolant nor major heating/stalling issues.

Assuming all the parts are Okay (No leakage externally), I agree with Nitninja that the system has not been bled properly by the SC guys because of which the air in the system is causing the level to go down.

I would suggest to visit the Chinchwad ASC (Gems Auto) if possible and give another try. I am sure they will support you. Let me know if you need help there. I can come along with you and get this sorted.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 16th March 2017, 14:43   #5976
BHPian

Another small update

Today I took the bike for a short spin and the coolant level after the engine was hot was back to normal (matched the marked point for engine hot level), on cooling it dropped lower than what was marked for engine cold level. So I think everything is just fine, I'll still observe for sometime, as long as the coolant does not substantially drop I am gonna ignore it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Coolant should not reduce by even a mm
Coolant premix expands at the optimum operating engine temperature and so a 5 mm drop after cooling is quite OK. Air in the system could be an issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I would suggest to visit the Chinchwad ASC (Gems Auto) if possible and give another try.
I need to visit gems for a new chain sprocket set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I am hoping this might have been checked
Checked everything you mentioned, no issues at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 16:39   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I had the same issue when I kept my bike idle for a long time. I got it started after half an hour of cranking intermittently. I was careful not to crank continuosly. Had put fuel in the tank. And was aware of the battery levels.
The possible reasons are residues from the fuel getting clogged in the lines. Spark plug oxidation. You can add 2 -3 litres of fuel also.
I would suggest getting the bike to SVC, if the battery goes really down after repeated cranking.
My bike was parked for 2weeks and I had to crank to for a good 20-30 seconds before it started. Batter is in good shape as the bike in oly 4 months old. Seems like a fueling issue -- even though I pump at only COCO, Reliance or Shell pumps.

My, Impulse starts much more easily even after being parked for a month.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:02   #5978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
My bike was parked for 2weeks and I had to crank to for a good 20-30 seconds before it started. Batter is in good shape as the bike in oly 4 months old. Seems like a fueling issue -- even though I pump at only COCO, Reliance or Shell pumps.

My, Impulse starts much more easily even after being parked for a month.
I always found rolling starts to be better in this kind of situation.
Rolling starts works good with carbs. Not so sure if it will work out for FI bikes though.

It can prevent the starter motor to get overworked or battery to get excessively drained, if you depress the starter for more than 30 secs.
Old 20th March 2017, 21:25   #5979
BHPian

Orange Assist Review

Hi guys, just though I'd share feedback on the KTM Orange Assist service and experience I had today. The fuel pump of my 2014 D390 conked off yesterday and the bike would crank but refuse to start. There was no fuel pump priming sound when the key was switched on . My Duke sees very few kms of running per month as I have multiple bikes.

Called up the orange assist number, gave them my bike number and they sent a mech to check the bike within an hour. The guy arrived on a scooter fully equipped with tools and a battery etc for jumpstarting etc.

Once he was done confirming the pump was dead. I got a call to arrange for a tow to the new Goregaon service center. The towing truck arrived on time with a confirmation call in the morning as well. They 2 guys loaded and secured the bike carefully with straps etc onto the automatic loading truck. No jugaad or mishandling etc.

I'm very particular about my bikes being treated well by anyone who touches them especially mechs and I didn't find any reason to correct or complain. Overall very happy with the entire experience.

Costs if anyone needs them:

Fuel Pump cost: 3983
Fuel Filter cost: 100
Labour : 230

Overall cost: 4313/-

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170320_104130.jpg  

The Pain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 22:42   #5980
BHPian

Hey guys, it has been a while since i posted anything here. My 390 just clicked over 22000kms on odo. Changed the chain and sprocket kit to Rolon at 20000 kms.

I've been noticing a peculiar handling characteristic over the last few months. It takes a lot of countersteering effort to turn the bike into left hand turns while the bike falls over to the corner quite quick in right hand turns. Handle bar feels almost heavy while taking left turns. It's fairly noticeable in spirited riding. It's robbing my confidence in cornering as the front end feel is now rather weird. What could be the problem? Could it be the head bearing or the forks. My tires are in generally good shape with no irregular wear patterns
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:40   #5981
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
This may not be the ideal thread but would be good to know your thoughts.
I have decided to part ways with my first gen 2013 Duke 390. She is done about 34500 kms and is been maintained well. What should be the price i can expect for that bike in a place like Bangalore? I had 1.2L in mind, but people have been quoting 80 - 90K. Just wanted to get a feeler of whether my expectations are way off the mark. Thanks!

Reason for selling: i have had my fun with the bike for 4years and 35k kms. recently i got a versys 650 and a used bonnie A3, so not riding the 390 much, hence thought of letting it go!
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:57   #5982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey guys,
I have decided to part ways with my first gen 2013 Duke 390. She is done about 34500 kms and is been maintained well. What should be the price i can expect for that bike in a place like Bangalore? I had 1.2L in mind, but people have been quoting 80 - 90K. Just wanted to get a feeler of whether my expectations are way off the mark. Thanks!

Reason for selling: i have had my fun with the bike for 4years and 35k kms. recently i got a versys 650 and a used bonnie A3, so not riding the 390 much, hence thought of letting it go!
since yours is the first gen 390, can you tell me the bike's rpm at 100 ? Im asking this because lot of initial reviews stated that 100 kmph was at 5.3k rpm whereas mine does at 6k rpm.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:11   #5983
BHPian

Quote:
What should be the price i can expect for that bike in a place like Bangalore? I had 1.2L in mind, but people have been quoting 80 - 90K.
The market for pre-owned Duke 390's is pretty bad, fellow Bhpian Amey.Kulkarni sold his 15 months old D390 for 1.1 Lakhs here in Pune last year, but then his tyres were due for replacement and service was pending too. With the new 2017 variant available the resale value would drop further, I would suggest seal the deal @ 90 k - 1 Lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
since yours is the first gen 390, can you tell me the bike's rpm at 100 ? Im asking this because lot of initial reviews stated that 100 kmph was at 5.3k rpm whereas mine does at 6k rpm.
I don't think the gear ratios have changed over the years, mine is a 2016 model and does 100 kmph at 5800- 6000 rpm range.
Siddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:24   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Hey Nasirkaka,

Siddy has already given you a brief on how my Duke 390 was sold off. In addition to his comments, I had done around 16K Kms in 18 months. I was hoping to sell it off at around INR 1.4L - 1.5L but the market conditions were so bad that noone was offering above INR 1.1L in which Front Metz tyre, a paid service was due.

If you are getting INR 90K for a 2013 model and 34.5K run D390; i would suggest to go ahead immediately and shake hands.

I was actually going to suggest to keep the bike as a stand-by but you already have others so letting go should not be a problem.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:00   #5985
BHPian

2015 ABS with SC- only 5000 Km was sold by KTM East (Mumbai) customer for 1.41l this Sunday- and that was mainly because of a spare set of Metz tires and a bunch of KTM power parts- else it was up for a max of 1.25.
2014s Duke with ABS only are in the range of 0.90-1.0L to give you an idea of local markets.
The 2013 bike would be lucky at anything 75+ and one should immediately get it off at 90.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks