Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-396.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4142779)
Please Help All,

My Duke 390 doesn't start :( after being idle for 1 month, since I was out of station. Can you help me in finding out the possible culprit?

Any Possible culprits:
1) Dirty/carbonized Spark Plug?
2) Faulty Fuel Pump/Fuel Injector-If so, is there any way to identify that problem?
3) Has anyone tried push starting Duke 390 (With Slipper Clutch)-I tried in 2nd and 4th gears, but of no avail. Is push starting possible in these Dukes?
4) Any other reasons? Please give suggestions and your help is much appreciated.

I had the same issue when I kept my bike idle for a long time. I got it started after half an hour of cranking intermittently. I was careful not to crank continuosly. Had put fuel in the tank. And was aware of the battery levels.
The possible reasons are residues from the fuel getting clogged in the lines. Spark plug oxidation. You can add 2 -3 litres of fuel also.
I would suggest getting the bike to SVC, if the battery goes really down after repeated cranking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan (Post 4142859)
I had the same issue when I kept my bike idle for a long time. I got it started after half an hour of cranking intermittently. I was careful not to crank continuosly. Had put fuel in the tank. And was aware of the battery levels.
The possible reasons are residues from the fuel getting clogged in the lines. Spark plug oxidation. You can add 2 -3 litres of fuel also.
I would suggest getting the bike to SVC, if the battery goes really down after repeated cranking.

Thanks Mithun. Unfortunately the bike is a good 60 Km away from KTM Vytilla. They have messed up during my Duke's second service as well. Hence I am trying to get it sorted before having to take it to KTM Vytilla. When I get back home, I am planning to recharge the battery (since it started to show low battery after trying to crank a few times), change/clean the spark plug and add more fuel and then try to crank again. Hope it will work this time around. Thanks again for your inputs!

So, Where are you based in Cochin? I am from Elamkulam :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4142955)
)

It's the battery, get it charged up and the bike will start in one crank. The KTM being a high compression engine needs a good strong voltage to start it up. I have noticed even if it dips to 11.9V it won't crank properly and worse still of the bike is stationary for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonjeeper (Post 4142779)
Please Help All,

My Duke 390 doesn't start :( after being idle for 1 month, since I was out of station. Can you help me in finding out the possible culprit?

Some History: Immaculately maintained, 7220 KM, only used BP Speed 93, 97, Shell V Power throughout the bike's usage. Occasionally used normal fuel while travelling long distances, never had any stalling issues, Engine Oil Used from 1st Service-Motul 15W 50.

Current Condition: Using RD Powertronics ECU since 5 months, currently there is about ~1 litre of a mixture of Speed 93 & 97, Battery is in working condition.

Any Possible culprits:
1) Dirty/carbonized Spark Plug?
2) Faulty Fuel Pump/Fuel Injector-If so, is there any way to identify that problem?
3) Has anyone tried push starting Duke 390 (With Slipper Clutch)-I tried in 2nd and 4th gears, but of no avail. Is push starting possible in these Dukes?
4) Any other reasons? Please give suggestions and your help is much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitc7 (Post 4142977)
It's the battery, get it charged up and the bike will start in one crank. The KTM being a high compression engine needs a good strong voltage to start it up. I have noticed even if it dips to 11.9V it won't crank properly and worse still of the bike is stationary for a long time.

Amitc is spot on. Though the starter would spin fine, the battery isn't able to produce enough juice to spark the plug which means, ignition. A good battery provides good enough voltage so that the spark plugs produce enough spark to fire the fuel mixture. Less voltage, though the starter may spin fine, the motor won't be able to start.

Charge the battery, and she should crank in less than two cranks.

Cheers!
VJ

Hi All,

The Duke 390 -2017 is to be launched on the 25th of Feb apparently as per the showroom folks. The booking has also started unofficially in most showrooms. Booked mine :) FYI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream1188 (Post 4147189)
Hi All,

The Duke 390 -2017 is to be launched on the 25th of Feb apparently as per the showroom folks. The booking has also started unofficially in most showrooms. Booked mine :) FYI

If you dont mind, can you tell me which branch? I heard from BTM branch 2 days ago that they were still not accepting bookings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream1188 (Post 4147189)
Hi All,

Link to one of the many articles: http://overdrive.in/news/confirmed-a...ruary-23-2017/

Called up KTM Vashi and they are accepting bookings for the new Duke 390. Also, promising delivery by Feb end. Test rides will not be possible as the test ride motorcycle is also the media motorcycle and will be booked for test drives as per media schedules. The motorcycle will be on display from 23rd Feb at Vashi, Navi Mumbai.

It's official: KTM announces new Duke 200 / 390 launch date for India: 23rd February.

Source:

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/2017-ktm-3...ounced-1660107

Hey guys, need some help!

After the oil leaks from the valve cover now my coolant is disapearing:Frustrati No external leaks, no white smoke, oil is not milky, no traces of oil in the coolant (reservoir), I'm losing approximately 5 mm in the reservoir for every 400 kms ridden. What could be the issue? Busted head gasket?

Absolutely no symptoms anywhere!

Hello guys,

I am a proud owner of KTM RC 390.
Model : 2016
Odo :7000 kms
Services undergone : 2 (free services)
The bike runs perfectly good. But I have been having annoying problems lately like
1. Fairing vibrations : There are vibrations below 4000rpm in the first 3 gears. I have never dropped my bike. I showed it to the SVC at KTM banjara hills, Hyderabad. The technician tightened all the fairing bolts and exclaimed it is common and it happens. post this the vibrations disappeared.It has been 3 days now and the vibrations are back again. Please advice me what to do?
2. Engine Heat: I drive in the peak hours traffic a lot and the radiator fan runs almost all the time. Never in had the engine heat level reached to the last 2 bars. But these days the engine heat indicator frequently reaches till the last 1 bar. I have checked the coolant level and the fan runs normally. Should I get the coolant flushed and replaced or is there any other way my engine can run cool?
3. Strange buzz noise from the chain section only at certain RPM's (3000 to 4000) in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I have tried to locate the origin of the sound but in vain. When I showed it to SVC guys, they couldn't identify the source either. It started just a few days after the second service. Has anybody experienced the same strange noise? Please help me out in this.

-Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohitj92 (Post 4115266)
Finally, got my coolant leakage issue solved from ktm andheri. Glad to hear that there was nothing major, the radiator had air in it so the coolant level was dropping. I was worried about the coolant mixing with the engine oil.

Hey, can you please elaborate what were the symptoms? I'm losing coolant as well even after topping up. Nothing wrong with the oil & coolant color, no white smoke, nothing. Did you top up ever before resolving the issue?
TIA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul4 (Post 4150311)
1. Fairing vibrations :

My vibrations were finally gone when small rubber gaskets were put in between various plastic parts, your technician should be an expert to pin point them and correct.

Quote:

2. Engine Heat
Clean the radiator with water once in every 15 days, this increases cooling efficiency. Check for coolant & engine oil color, if the coolant has any oil in it or the engine oil appears milky check the water pump seals and the head gasket, 390's are notorious for these issues which lead to overheating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siddy (Post 4150361)
Hey, can you please elaborate what were the symptoms? I'm losing coolant as well even after topping up. Nothing wrong with the oil & coolant color, no white smoke, nothing. Did you top up ever before resolving the issue?
TIA!

I topped up the coolant approximately 6-7 times before. They finally flushed all the coolant and refilled again. No issues of coolant level dropping after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul4 (Post 4150311)
3. Strange buzz noise from the chain section

I believe this happens when the chain is either too loose or too tight. Lubrication can also be an issue. I've read that KTM engineers often over-tighten the chain, which causes a noise. Also don't use regular oil to lube the chain, but use a cleaner and proper chain lube only. Regular oil only makes the chain dirtier.

However, I've got a different problem. I'm getting a buzzing / rattling noise coming from somewhere in the front of the bike. Taken it to KTM twice and they can't find the source, nothing is loose anywhere that they can find, they even took apart the headlight / instrument cluster to look for anything loose. Performance of the bike and everything else is fine, it's just an incredibly irritating sound. Anyone else experience this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcussantiago (Post 4150423)
I believe this happens when the chain is either too loose or too tight. Lubrication can also be an issue. I've read that KTM engineers often over-tighten the chain, which causes a noise. Also don't use regular oil to lube the chain, but use a cleaner and proper chain lube only. Regular oil only makes the chain dirtier.

However, I've got a different problem. I'm getting a buzzing / rattling noise coming from somewhere in the front of the bike. Taken it to KTM twice and they can't find the source, nothing is loose anywhere that they can find, they even took apart the headlight / instrument cluster to look for anything loose. Performance of the bike and everything else is fine, it's just an incredibly irritating sound. Anyone else experience this?

That's exactly the sound that I am getting. Only under mostly 3000 to 4000 rpm band. in the first 3 gears. Seems like a high tension cable striking against something. Don't think that is the chain as I clean and lube (I use 3M chain lube) the chain regularly. The SVC Personal said the chain is fine not too tight or loose