Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 19:09   #5866
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
During my second free service @ 5500 odd kms, the svc fellow opened the front sprocket cover and removed huge muck & started the bike at the same time, I was paranoid because the front sprocket cover bolts are engine cover bolts, but the service guy told me that 2016 onwards removing those bolts wont lead to any oil leak as the 2016 duke engine design is different and it won't matter.
I had gone for servicing my 2014 RC390 couple of weeks ago and after the oil was changed, the front sprocket cover was removed and SVC guy started the engine to lube the chain. There was indeed bleeding of tiny quantity of oil from the holes where bolts would have been. However, the quantity was not more than a few drops.

Quote:
I've found that small rides wont make any difference but after long rides or hard rides I find 2-3 drops of blackish sticky oil under the stand.
I would guess it is the excess chain lube which is dripping away from the chain. Since the sprocket cover is now clean, the lube is flowing freely rather than getting absorbed in the muck. This would probably also depend on the amount of lube and brand.
Old 6th December 2016, 09:10   #5867
BHPian

Quote:
P:S: I lube the chain after every 15 days, so its almost always wet. I ride mostly on weekends.
Then it makes perfect sense! However it is surprising that you never saw this earlier.
Old 6th December 2016, 09:44   #5868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Then it makes perfect sense! However it is surprising that you never saw this earlier.
Yes exactly, never saw it before, I think the reason is that the settled muck which was cleaned last time made way for fresh lube. And initially when the bike was new I never bothered to check.

After a 40 km ride yesterday I checked and found no drops under the stand, however the stand has some stuff on the back side, maybe the lube liqeified but never reached the ground (this happens only on short rides) & my oil level is perfect too. I think I'm going to ignore this now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I had gone for servicing my 2014 RC390
Yes, 2014 models have oil coming out when those holes when bolts are removed, apparently 2016 onwards the design is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Since the sprocket cover is now clean, the lube is flowing freely rather than getting absorbed in the muck. This would probably also depend on the amount of lube and brand.
Exactly! Last time the I went to a different KTM service station & the fellow used some locally made stuff to lube, I always use Motul & my regular svc guy uses the same.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th December 2016 at 11:02. Reason: merging back to back posts
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 09:58   #5869
BHPian

Quote:
Need some experienced Dukers to comment here
Hey Siddy,

I have seen your bike as we ride together usually and i have a recent update for you.

I had serviced my Ninja 300 recently and while lubing the SVC guy asked me whether I required a pure MOTUL lube or MOTUL + Diesel mix lube.

Obviously, MOTUL + Diesel lube was cheaper but I went for the normal Pure MOTUL.

However, I was surprised to observe this for the first time in my 3 years of KTM & Ninja ownership; SVC guy asking me this question.

This might have been the case with you. Check with your SVC guy.

MOTUL + Diesel lube will not perform and be sticky as the pure MOTUL will be and might be the reason from the drip.

I advice you to get the entire front sprocket assembly washed, cleaned, dried and apply new lube and test it out.

Last edited by ampere : 7th December 2016 at 09:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 10:07   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I had serviced my Ninja 300 recently and while lubing the SVC guy asked me whether I required a pure MOTUL lube or MOTUL + Diesel mix lube.
I advice you to get the entire front sprocket assembly washed, cleaned, dried and apply new lube and test it out.
The last svc fellow cleaned the front sprocket cover (which was never done before according to him) then cleaned the chain with diesel and used some new locally made lube and this drip issue has started. Later, I lubed at home using my motul can which I've been using for quite sometime still I can see the drip

I think as you said i'll get the front sprocket assembly washed, cleaned, dried and apply new lube and test it out! Thanks!
Old 6th December 2016, 12:48   #5871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Please exercise caution to the new dynamics of the bike. The setup changes the front end dynamics all together. So it is advisable to get to learn the setup first before you take it head on especially into the corners. Not wanting to be a turndown, but have seen some good riders hit the dirt with such mods, so advising you to take it easy.
Thank you for your concern, and it is true that the handling dynamics are noticeably different now. However, I am one those few oddballs who like being slow on a 390

In fact, its been almost a year since ive really tried pushing the bike over 130 and I go pretty slow on the ghat sections as well. I fully utilized my stock metz tires and Im done cornering. These mods are really a stopgap till 2019 when KTM comes up with their own version of a tourer, hopefully.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 08:57   #5872
BHPian

Hi guys,

My Duke is now completing 2.5yrs of ownership and clocked around 24000kms. I stay in Goa and up here we do not have wheel balancing facility for motorcycles. We will be riding to Bangalore very soon. So can anyone help me find/locate a two wheeler tyre balancing shop in BLR so that I can get it done?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Added 2.5" fork spacers to my 390 to improve ground clearance and seating position. Now the whole setup is much much comfortable over longer distances. Will be testing the bike over a 2.5k kms ride south next week. The bike now has a 213mm unloaded ground clearance. For some reason the ride feels softer.

Lovely setup there mate. Can I get some info on the fork spacer? Like the cost and the source?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th December 2016 at 10:28.
Old 7th December 2016, 14:26   #5873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Lovely setup there mate. Can I get some info on the fork spacer? Like the cost and the source?
Thanx akshayhonda. The spacers were a completely custom job and I had them fabricated myself at a local but skillful workshop. They costed me about 2k to fabricate and install. Installation is quite straightforward. They are exactly the same spec as the OE top caps. Also, this mod is not possible on a 200 since the brake line is smaller on the 200 than it is on the 390. One can use the RE Himalayan brake line or the Karizma's or the can purchase aftermarket brake lines from HEL.

However, if you do plan to fabricate them yourself, beware that the internal threading is completely non standard and finding the correct lathe tapping is a huge task and possibly a gamble. I had to purchase the tapping myself since the lathe guy didnt have it and he had no use for it.
Old 12th December 2016, 21:55   #5874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
The spacers were a completely custom job and I had them fabricated myself at a local but skillful workshop.

However, if you do plan to fabricate them yourself, beware that the internal threading is completely non standard and finding the correct lathe tapping is a huge task and possibly a gamble.
Pictures please, if possible.

What thread?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th December 2016, 11:18   #5875
BHPian

Update on Oil drops seen under the side stand:

I decided not to lube to chain and cleaned the leak area & left the bike at home for 2-3 days. Wifey called me one afternoon and said that there was some oil under the bike (the parking floor is wheatish in color so the oil was easily visible to her). After work I took a bunch of tissues and decided to open the sprocket cover and investigate, when I put my hand under the sprocket cover there was some motor oil (pink colored motul 7100 ) on my hands!

Dropped the bike for fixing this at KTM Nalstop, the diagnosis was a bust oil seal at the front sprocket shaft! Oil weeping through the top valve cover was rectified too, apparently the rubber gasket was replaced and some sealing agent was applied. Everything was done for free as bike is under warranty. Been testing the bike for 2 days now & finally no oil leaks.

I'm surprised that a 2.2 lakh rupee bike has got bust seals and gaskets after 5 months of use. I am a pretty sedate rider and take very good care of my bike and cars. I know that D390 is a value for money proposition but still such silly problems in 2016 left me disappointed! I've owned 2 royal enfields and never had any oil leaks till date. Bajaj needs to pay attention to its QA department & stop working with sub standard vendors to save money!

Last edited by Siddy : 13th December 2016 at 11:20.
Siddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 11:46   #5876
BHPian

Quote:
Update on Oil drops seen under the side stand:

I decided not to lube to chain and cleaned the leak area & left the bike at home for 2-3 days. Wifey called me one afternoon and said that there was some oil under the bike (the parking floor is wheatish in color so the oil was easily visible to her). After work I took a bunch of tissues and decided to open the sprocket cover and investigate, when I put my hand under the sprocket cover there was some motor oil (pink colored motul 7100 ) on my hands!
I am sorry to hear this Siddy that it wasn't the lube but infact it was the Motul pinky oil leaking.

Did you ask the root-cause of the incident to KTM service technicians on how this could have occurred just to prevent it not to happen the next time and also because as I see; it will not be a faulty gasket in the first place?
Old 13th December 2016, 12:06   #5877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Did you ask the root-cause of the incident to KTM service technicians on how this could have occurred just to prevent it not to happen the next time and also because as I see; it will not be a faulty gasket in the first place?
Apparently, the oil seal started leaking because the chain was excessively tightened & the general reason was that its a rubber part and it failed!

The taut chain reason sounded logical & i'll keep a watch on this, time to lube the chain now, its been a month!

Last edited by Siddy : 13th December 2016 at 12:08.
Old 13th December 2016, 15:05   #5878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Pictures please, if possible.

What thread?

Regards
Sutripta
Sorry, really bad at documenting so I did not take pictures. The fork rod is screwed onto the fork cap inside the fork. These spacers replace the fork cap itself. So now the fork rod is screwed into these spacers. This internal thread where the rod gets fit is of non standard size, thus the difficulty in fabricating these spacers.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 18:04   #5879
Senior - BHPian

While cleaning the bike today, I just noticed that there is there traces of oil on the left side front fork. This means the fork oil seal is gone.
Does one need to change the oil seal of both sides of can I fix only one side?

Any idea how much it will cost?

P.S: Any idea how much should a 3 yr Old 18.5K D390 go for in Hyderabad. I recently replaced the rear tyre about 1K back.
Old 13th December 2016, 19:11   #5880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Does one need to change the oil seal of both sides of can I fix only one side?

Any idea how much it will cost?
You can change the oil seal of only one side. The oil seal is around 200+ bucks while the fork oil is around 300-400/-. I had got this done a few months ago on the left side oil seal of the D200. Should be similar for the 390 too as both have similar forks at the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks