Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 16:39   #5836
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
After what period of time did you guys change your Duke battery? I think mine is gone. Randomly when I press the starter switch, the console goes blank and it shows some code like "J_17.*****".
Check the wires running to the battery terminals thoroughly once before you decide on replacing the battery. There have reports in the past of such error on the MID when the terminals are loose or have been broken. Also I have seen 2013 machines still running on the OE battery and cranking fine without any issues.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 15:41   #5837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After what period of time did you guys change your Duke battery? I think mine is gone. Randomly when I press the starter switch, the console goes blank and it shows some code like "J_17.*****".
mine is initial lot 2013 model and the battery is still going good. i have been using a pair of aux lights (always on) + a twin horn and the battery is still holding good without any issues. I am mighty please with the 390's OEM battery.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 20:26   #5838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I am looking to replace my Duke`s rear tyre which has aged gracefully with a mileage of 12000 kms and looked over different tyre options available and short listed below brands.
1. Michelin Pilot Street Radial 150/60
2. Pirelli Sport Demon 140/70
3. Metzeler Sportec M5 150/60

Even though Metzeler is too pricey and wears out very quickly than other tyres, but I believe this is the best tyre for Dukes. However off late I have heard some good reviews about Michelin and PSD. I would like to know if any of you folks have been using it if so can you please share your feedback on it.
No doubt on Metzlers are top line tyres for the Duke however, I have used Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my Duke 390 and I feel it is the perfect tyre for Indian roads. I have changed my stock IRCs to Michelins as well on my Ninja 300 and I am so in love with them. I do not have to worry on the gravel, concrete roads for slips or even unavoidable potholes for rim bends. Michelins take care of the road conditions pretty well.

I have done hard cornering on it as well as I used to do it on Metzlers and realised no difference.

Looking at the mileage of your rear tyre, you seem to do more of commuting, if yes do not even think of a soft compound tyre.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:54   #5839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to replace my Duke`s rear tyre which has aged gracefully with a mileage of 12000 kms and looked over different tyre options available and short listed below brands.

Even though Metzeler is too pricey and wears out very quickly than other tyres, but I believe this is the best tyre for Dukes. However off late I have heard some good reviews about Michelin and PSD. I would like to know if any of you folks have been using it if so can you please share your feedback on it.
I recently changed my rear Metz tyres at 18K to Pirellis. Considering that now I'm riding in Mumbai, where 90% of the roads are concrete, it made sense to go with a harder compound and hence I got the Michelin. I think the 4K price differential between the Metz and the Michelin is only justified if you are doing track or ride while pushing the envelope like hard braking/ fast heavy cornering, so on and so forth. For all other applications and daily rides, its quite good.

I see you are also looking at 140/70 profile. I would suggest otherwise unless you intend to ride on real bad roads and need cushion.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 12:45   #5840
BHPian

My metzelers still have life left and they are surely great tires on the perfect road but they puncture a lot ( 7 punctures in 5,500 km - one of them never quite fixed properly ) and the bike slips dangerously on sand and gravel . Sand and other lose particles are common on our roads so that ought to be factored in when deciding in favour of a particular tyre.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:08   #5841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Looking at the mileage of your rear tyre, you seem to do more of commuting, if yes do not even think of a soft compound tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I see you are also looking at 140/70 profile. I would suggest otherwise unless you intend to ride on real bad roads and need cushion.
Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. For past 7 months, my bike has been primarily used for my weekend ride to my hometown and road is typical highway with 20 kms of concrete stretch which obviously has eaten up some of the mileage.

Meanwhile I discussed with one of the mechanic here. He too recommended in going for Michelin PSR and he suggested not to fit it in the tyre shop as he feared shop guys may fiddle with the ABS setup. Instead he recommended to bring the tyre to the service center and he will take care of the fitment. It has been a hectic weekends for past couple of weeks and all thanks to my little princess. Hopefully I should be able to get this done in a couple of weeks time and will update the rates and pics if time permits.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 15th November 2016 at 16:10.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:33   #5842
BHPian

[quote=DragonHawk;4093111]Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. For past 7 months, my bike has been primarily used for my weekend ride to my hometown and road is typical highway with 20 kms of concrete stretch which obviously has eaten up some of the mileage.

Meanwhile I discussed with one of the mechanic here. He too recommended in going for Michelin PSR and he suggested not to fit it in the tyre shop as he feared shop guys may fiddle with the ABS setup. Instead he recommended to bring the tyre to the service center and he will take care of the fitment.]

There are other Medium compound tyre brands in the market as well like - TVS, MRF, Ceat etc; however my advise for you would without a doubt would be for Michelin Pilot Street Radials.

Also, kindly get it fitted from an Authorized dealer of Michelin; and do not forget to balance the wheel before the fitting on to the bike.

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 15th November 2016 at 16:34.
Old 15th November 2016, 17:17   #5843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I discussed with one of the mechanic here. He too recommended in going for Michelin PSR and he suggested not to fit it in the tyre shop as he feared shop guys may fiddle with the ABS setup. Instead he recommended to bring the tyre to the service center and he will take care of the fitment.
Well, I don't know what this fiddling with the ABS set up is as I haven't seen anything special done by the ASC folks while changing the tyre. However fitting the rear tyre is a tricky business though and you actually need to take off a few parts which the tyre guy may not want to do. As a matter of fact, there wasn't even bleeding that was required after fitting the wheel back. So I think the ABS thingy is all hocum!
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:54   #5844
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I discussed with one of the mechanic here. He too recommended in going for Michelin PSR and he suggested not to fit it in the tyre shop as he feared shop guys may fiddle with the ABS setup. Instead he recommended to bring the tyre to the service center and he will take care of the fitment.
Please get the tire fitted at the asc. These local tire shops might ruin the sensors. Last year, an mrf dealer managed to bend one of the wheel speed sensors of my bike. Also the wheel has numerous paint chips after mishandling by the fitter.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 10:03   #5845
BHPian

Quote:

Have you tried the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2? I got my rear changed after my Metz gave up on me post a 3000 km road trip to Coimbatore (a total of 15,000 on the rear). I paid Rs. 6300 for the tyre in Satara. Very good so far. Haven't tried it on the twisties yet but injects the same level of confidence as the Metz.
Old 20th November 2016, 16:42   #5846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you get to the root of the problem? And the solution to that. Please post your experience here. It helps others too.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:04   #5847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Did you get to the root of the problem? And the solution to that. Please post your experience here. It helps others too.
This often happens when the negative terminal of your battery has become loose or your battery has become weak.

Check your terminals, unplug and plug them once. If it persists, check your battery with a voltmeter, I think it should be at 13.1Volts but Im not sure, you can check the exact voltage on the battery. If it is below that then its time to change the battery.
Old 21st November 2016, 17:22   #5848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
This often happens when the negative terminal of your battery has become loose or your battery has become weak.

Check your terminals, unplug and plug them once. If it persists, check your battery with a voltmeter, I think it should be at 13.1Volts but Im not sure, you can check the exact voltage on the battery. If it is below that then its time to change the battery.
Yes I know where the problem lies and I had asked to check the same few posts back. Please excuse me for being arrogant here, but people often ask help and then disappear. If they come out with the solution to their problem, it would help others too. Who knows this might be one off case today where something else was at fault. And it happens to anyone else here tomorrow, people would remember this solution and then check instead of spending on some useless spares which the SVC tries to get rid off.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:40   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Have not had time at all - A week long vacation and then covering all the work in office :( (So did I really get the holiday?)
I am planning to checkup the coming weekend and will definitely update.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:23   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
The problem turned out to be the battery. Had it replaced at the SVC and bike is fine now.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks